Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Amazon question:Walt Disney Treasures

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Old 09-12-03, 11:33 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've ordered from Amazon in the past and I had a question. I preordered Walt Disney Treasures(Mickey Mouse, Donald Duck) for this December. If they sell out, and I order supershipper saving which delays shipping does this mean they may give my merchandise
to someone else who asks for faster shipping? And does Amazon look at when you preordered something, like I ordered this in early Sept. so if someone orders in Dec. would they put my order first?
Old 09-13-03, 12:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes it is possible. I had a situation like this happen recently with two separate orders for Duel at Amazon. I placed the first order with free shipping, and later placed a second order with paid shipping. I ended getting the order with the paid shipping, but the free shipping order was eventually cancelled because they ran out of stock.

I should add that my above statement was not meant to scare you off from using free shipping on your order. I don't think it will be a problem with the upcoming release of the Walt Disney Treasure DVDs. I preordered all of the earlier versions of the Treasure discs at Amazon with free shipping, and currently have the new ones preordred. But you could run into problems if you include other items with a later release date.

Last edited by Laser Movies; 09-13-03 at 12:25 PM.
Old 09-13-03, 02:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by LASERMOVIES
Yes it is possible. I had a situation like this happen recently with two separate orders for Duel at Amazon. I placed the first order with free shipping, and later placed a second order with paid shipping. I ended getting the order with the paid shipping, but the free shipping order was eventually cancelled because they ran out of stock.
Ouch! This is bad news. I called up CSR regarding this same issue (for the FLCL 3 with box). She had no idea at all.

I was once told, however, that they would set aside partial orders awaiting the release of later preorders, in essence making the titles a first-come-first-served/ordered basis.
Old 09-13-03, 04:45 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Does Amazon delay shipping with the supersaver shipping on in stock items ?? I just placed an order for 3 DVD's all of which state "usually ship in 24 hours" but my estimated ship date is the 22nd (12 days from order placement)... haven't used Amazon before and won't continue to if this is standard practice..

Greg
Old 09-13-03, 05:01 AM
Banned

Yes... They can and sometimes will ship your item out for, and then you are SOL. I have things shipped to my house (ebay wins, online orders, etc...) and then bulk reship to Internationals so that Internationals can save money. Last Christmas, I had placed a pre-order for an DVD [I don't remember the title] along with about $200 of other DVDs. Since I was trying to save money, I indicated that I wanted them shipped out when the order is complete. My entire order was being upheld because a particular DVD was listed as not in stock immediately after its release [It was a very popular item and at Christmas time. All of my items were pre-orders, and this item had the latest release date - in other words, by the time it was released, everything else on the order was already released as well...]. Needless to say, I had one of my Internationals place an order 3 days after I placed mine and included the same title. His order was only 3 items, but was shipped out immediately upon the title's release.

Needless to say, when I noticed this, I was NOT very happy. Fortunately, it was not a limited release like the Walt Disney Treasures, but I shudder to think that could've been the case...

Hope that this helps...

Bill
Old 09-13-03, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by victant

I was once told, however, that they would set aside partial orders awaiting the release of later preorders, in essence making the titles a first-come-first-served/ordered basis.
I don't really believe that statement Amazon made about setting aside items, but it really isn't much of an issue since they have a huge inventory in stock. As long as the item isn't going OOP I have no problem waiting until everything is available.

Originally posted by greg9x

Does Amazon delay shipping with the supersaver shipping on in stock items ?? I just placed an order for 3 DVD's all of which state "usually ship in 24 hours" but my estimated ship date is the 22nd (12 days from order placement)... haven't used Amazon before and won't continue to if this is standard practice..
Super saver shipping can be delayed by several days compared to paid shipping. However, most of the time I receive preordered DVDs about as fast as orders that used paid shipping. Also the shipping estimates Amazon uses with an order are very inaccurate. I don't think I ever had a correct estimate, and usually orders arrive much earlier.
Old 09-13-03, 05:48 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
The shipping estimates are always high so they don't have people calling when it is one day later than what they said. My free shipping stuff is never held up for more than a day or two after placing my order, but I wouldn't mind if it was. I mean, they are doing something for free and taking the loss on the shipping, so I would expect them to give greater priority to someone who pays for shipping. If you read about Super Saver shipping on the web site, it doesn't say anything about being fast, just free.
Old 09-13-03, 11:40 PM
Cool New Member

Originally posted by LASERMOVIES
I don't really believe that statement Amazon made about setting aside items, but it really isn't much of an issue since they have a huge inventory in stock. As long as the item isn't going OOP I have no problem waiting until everything is available.

Super saver shipping can be delayed by several days compared to paid shipping. However, most of the time I receive preordered DVDs about as fast as orders that used paid shipping. Also the shipping estimates Amazon uses with an order are very inaccurate. I don't think I ever had a correct estimate, and usually orders arrive much earlier.
I guess what I'm most concerned about is how big is Amazons inventory of Walt Disney Treasures (since their limited), and how fast will they sell out? Will they sell out in January? If thats the case then I know I'll get my stuff since I ordered the stuff this month. I was hoping with the Super shipping saving option I'll get the discs before Christmas. The shipping estimate says I'll get my stuff Dec. 21 which is pretty close to Christmas, I hope I get it earlier.
Old 09-14-03, 12:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by SailorNeptune
I guess what I'm most concerned about is how big is Amazons inventory of Walt Disney Treasures (since their limited), and how fast will they sell out? Will they sell out in January? If thats the case then I know I'll get my stuff since I ordered the stuff this month.
In my experience with Amazon, they indeed have a huge inventory, even with limited edition titles. I only draw from observation, but it seems that Amazon is given a definite preference over other e-tailers, and maybe most B&M's when it comes to limited edition titles. I wouldn't be surprised if they received more than 40% of the numbered tins, especially if the preorders indicate this.