Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

How long before Amazon will believe the USPS dropped the ball?

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Old 09-04-03, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm still waiting on my Simpsons S3 set from Amazon. It was shipped on 8/25, reached the Springfield, MA hub and was dispatched on 8/26, and hasn't been since since. It's usually a 24 hr turnaround from Springfield to me, 48 on a really, really bad week.

How long must you wait before Amazon will acknowledge a lost Super-saver package?
Old 09-05-03, 01:21 AM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did your usps delivery confirmation indicate that the package was "delivered", or had "reached the Springfield PO"? As long as it doesn't say "delivered", you haven't gotten the package (yet).
Old 09-05-03, 01:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had a recent order for a book from Amazon that took about two weeks to arrive. The package had delivery confirmation and appeared to just stop making progress like yours, but it did eventually arrive. Maybe your package was misrouted or is hung up at its current location. I would probably give it about two weeks before contacting them.
Old 09-05-03, 10:40 AM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts
Hey Pete-

I'm having the same problem with the Springfield MA hub-

Overstock sent me an order last week and it got stuck there for almost the whole week- usually I get stuff the next day from Springfield.

Tracking says it showed up at my PO today.
Old 09-05-03, 06:36 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Sometimes in the big hubs, stuff just sits for a while. I have one that is 20 minutes from my house, and I have had packages sit for up to 8 days before getting to me. USPS doesn't track as extensively as UPS. I used to enjoy watching the progress of my misrouted packages as they criss-crossed the country before arriving.
Old 09-08-03, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Still nothing
Old 09-09-03, 08:25 AM

At least for you guys they shipped your items.

I ordered a book 12 days ago with free super-saver shipping. The page says that it ships within 24 hours. I have been waiting for the past ten days for Amazon to ship it but no dice so far. I called customer service and they said that free shipping items get the least priority for shipping and it could take up to a couple of weeks before Amazon will ship the item, even though the item is avaiable in stock. She told me to avoid the free shipping if I need my item shipped promptly.

For the past three days I see that the item is being prepared for shipment, but they have not shipped yet. I guess after the customer service call, they got scared that I might cancel the order and changed the status to "preparing to ship". Now I can't even cancel the fricking order and order the book from bookpool.com.

The sad news is that Amazon's free shipping isn't worth the hassle.
Old 09-11-03, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

yes amazon's free shipping is a scam...
Old 09-12-03, 10:13 AM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts
How is it a "scam"? It states clearly on the site it takes longer to ship than regular shipping.

Almost every item I've ordered with their "supersaver" shipping has shipped before their estimated date.
Old 09-12-03, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The best way to be beat supersaver shipping is ordering around end of a calendar quarter. Amazon's financial reporting quarter coincides with them. For example: Order currently available or preorder released before end of quater with preorder after end of quarter, they will split order. They want to book the revenue in the current quarter.

I have used this method 5-6 times in past couple years. It has worked and I dont have worry about finding two items currently available or waiting for them to ship complete.
Old 09-12-03, 06:04 PM

Maybe my situation is unusual, but I never use anything by the free shipping, and my stuff always goes out within 3 days, and 90% of the time gets to my house in 3 days. I don't live in Delaware or Kentucky which are the 2 distribution centers that always send my stuff. I wouldn't waste my money on shipping any other way since I get stuff so fast.
Old 09-12-03, 08:10 PM

Last week an order I had with free shipping got sent out Priority. This is the first time that's happened in a long time. Has anyone else seen this?
Old 09-13-03, 01:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by RandyM
Last week an order I had with free shipping got sent out Priority. This is the first time that's happened in a long time. Has anyone else seen this?
For a while every order that I ordered got sent out via UPS with free shipping.

One time I had a cheap-o book that I ordered to get me over the free shipping threshold and they sent that out separately via UPS since it was available before the pre-order that I had ordered.
Old 09-13-03, 05:56 PM

I haven't had them break up an order for a while, they used to do it all the time. When coupons were plentiful I used to order a pair of dvds, one current and one pre-order. They would send one out and they would apply the whole coupon against it, so it was really cheap, then I would cancel the remaining portion of the order and do it over again. It was a nice was to get $5 off a $15 dvd with free shipping, or sometimes $10 if I placed a big order. I never get priority mail from them anymore, it is always media with delivery confirmation(which seems to make it travel so much faster then usual)