Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Looking for one day pass to Costco that will allow purchase

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-03, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is there such a thing as a 1 day pass to Costco that allows you to make a purchase?

I already have a Sam's membership since they are closer to me, but recently went into Costco on a view only pass and saw something I really want to pick up for my kid towards Christmas. However, if I have to put out the $45 membership fee it kind of defeats the savings and I only really need to make one purchase.

If it were closer I'd probably pick up a membership since their gas prices seem really good...

Thanks in advance.

Also, I did a search on costco across multiple forums here, but came up with tons of threads but nothing that looked relevant.

Last edited by sniper308; 08-21-03 at 08:56 PM.
Old 08-22-03, 12:47 AM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

If you know someone who has a Costco membership, you can get s/he to buy a cash card for you. You can use a cash card to shop at Costco without a membership.
Old 08-22-03, 04:26 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by eau
If you know someone who has a Costco membership, you can get s/he to buy a cash card for you. You can use a cash card to shop at Costco without a membership.
Unfortunately I haven't found a friend who has one yet, but I'm still looking.

I did check their website (since I've purchased from the site once before without being a member, just paying the uplift %), but unfortunately you have to be a member to buy the cash cards from the site (otherwise I would have checked out that option for myself )

Last edited by sniper308; 08-23-03 at 04:56 PM.
Old 08-22-03, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Go in the front door and tell them you want to join. They'll point you to the customer sevice desk. Walk over there, and ask a question about where something is. Then go pick out your item.

Get in line and ask a nice person behind you if you could use their card to get rung up since you forgot yours. Preferably an Executive Card Member since they'll get 2% back on your purchase.
Old 08-22-03, 06:37 PM

Yup, thats what I was about to recommend. Find a nice looking person, and ask them for a favor. I did that once at Sams and found someone nice enough to do that for me, I am sure you can find someone at costco too.
Old 08-22-03, 07:46 PM

I'm amazed what people do to save a couple of bucks. Stop being cheap and join there or find what you want somewhere else.
Old 08-22-03, 08:19 PM

A 45$ membership fee is hardly chump change, I see nothing wrong with what's he trying to do.
Old 08-22-03, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by dvde
I'm amazed what people do to save a couple of bucks. Stop being cheap and join there or find what you want somewhere else.
Thanks for the great contribution to the thread.

I don't think I'll be bumming off someone in line. That's not my style. I was just asking if they had single day passes that allow you to purchase and maybe someone had a link to something like that on their site.

Most of us here are looking for deals, just thought I'd see if someone had some ideas. I know Sam's occassionally runs single day passes and people here have posted the URL before, so thought Costco might have the same thing.
Old 08-23-03, 05:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: In a small pocket universe hoping to someday become a Moderator Emeritus at DVDTalk.com!
Can't one passes be obtained by visiting the Customer Service desk?

That's how I originally joined BJ's. I would imagine the Costco would operate along the same lines as they should be trying to encourage people to join.
Old 08-23-03, 06:58 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

they don't give out free passes (to buy) anymore. You can get a pass to browse the store, but you cannot purchase anything with it. They force you to join first before you can buy anything.
Old 08-23-03, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by TopHatCat64
A 45$ membership fee is hardly chump change, I see nothing wrong with what's he trying to do.
I see something wrong with it: The reason I am a Costco member is the low prices. Part of what keeps the prices low is the structure of the membership program. If people keep pulling these scams to make purchases without being a member, the prices won't be low for much longer.

Bottom line: Become a member, go with a friend who is a member, or don't shop there. It's that easy.
Old 08-23-03, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Walter Neff
I see something wrong with it: The reason I am a Costco member is the low prices. Part of what keeps the prices low is the structure of the membership program. If people keep pulling these scams to make purchases without being a member, the prices won't be low for much longer.

Bottom line: Become a member, go with a friend who is a member, or don't shop there. It's that easy.
I was trying to find a legitimate way; i.e. a one day or limited pass if the place(i.e. Costco) offered one like Sam's club occassionally does. You are jumping to conclusions. I may in fact join when my Sam's membership runs out, however, there is not one really conveniently located to me yet. I happened to be checking one out on a view only pass when I was near a location for some other reasons.

I will be hooking up with a coworker who is a member if I can not locate a 1 day pass.

So, thanks a lot for the contribution Walter. Anyone else have any legitimate ways besides the cash card?
Old 08-23-03, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by sniper308
So, thanks a lot for the contribution Walter.
I was not criticizing you for trying to find a legitimate way to shop at Costco. In fact, I made the suggestion that you go with a friend who has membership (which it sounds like you're able to do, and should do). I was criticizing others here for suggesting ways to cheat Costco in order to get their low prices without actually being a member.
Old 08-23-03, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I was not criticizing you for trying to find a legitimate way to shop at Costco. In fact, I made the suggestion that you go with a friend who has membership (which it sounds like you're able to do, and should do). I was criticizing others here for suggesting ways to cheat Costco in order to get their low prices without actually being a member.
It's cool ...
Old 08-24-03, 12:06 AM

I don't understand how forcing people to pay $45 a year for the priviledge of shopping there is really responsible for their ability to offer low prices. Couldn't they sell more (and then be able to offer even lower prices) if everyone was allowed to shop there?

Also, how is different for him to go with a friend who is a member than for him to simply ask someone in line if he can use their card?

JT
Old 08-24-03, 01:12 AM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I thought their $45 annual membership was expensive, until I bought a set of tires from them.
Old 08-24-03, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by JT_97Neon
I don't understand how forcing people to pay $45 a year for the priviledge of shopping there is really responsible for their ability to offer low prices. Couldn't they sell more (and then be able to offer even lower prices) if everyone was allowed to shop there?
I won't pretend to understand how their membership/pricing structure works. All I know is that if stores like Best Buy, Goodyear Tires, Target and all of Costco's other non-membership competitors could sell their products at Costco-level prices, they would, and Costco would be out of business. Obviously the membership fee has something to do with keeping the prices low.

Also, how is different for him to go with a friend who is a member than for him to simply ask someone in line if he can use their card?
Because Costco allows and encourages people to bring their friends and family with them. This is why if two people enter the store together, only one (the member) has to show his or her card, while the friend or relative can walk in without a problem.

Lying to the card-checker at the front about wanting to become a member in order to get inside, then lying to another customer in line about "forgetting my card at home" is completely different, and obviously is not allowed and encouraged by the store.

This is simple ethics, folks.
Old 08-25-03, 01:43 PM
Banned

When I bought my mattress there (highly recommended) I just went with the friend and paid in cash.