Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

omg amazon.com......

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

omg amazon.com......

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-03, 12:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
omg amazon.com......

charges tax now.Since when did they charge tax.
Old 02-28-03, 12:25 AM

possibly should be in the store forum. but thanks for the heads i didn't know this.
Old 02-28-03, 12:26 AM

I placed an order today, but there was no tax added to the invoice.
Old 02-28-03, 12:30 AM

i just pre ordered a dieny tin and there was no tax. hopefully this isn't going to be true.
Old 02-28-03, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i think it depends on what state/county/district you are in. the axe started to fall late december last year. when cali finally jumps on the bandwagon, that will be it for tax-free internet shopping.
Old 02-28-03, 01:27 AM

I live in the Seattle area and never use them because they ALWAYS charge tax for locals.
Old 02-28-03, 01:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Amazon did have a problem last year where they were charging sales tax on orders but it was some sort of a problem with the site. I don't know if this is the same thing but here is the thread about it.

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=241256
Old 02-28-03, 01:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
I placed an order 2 nights ago, no tax. I'm crossing my fingers now.
Old 02-28-03, 02:06 AM

This may help, it's the tax information from their help page:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...573921-2940934

If you're too lazy to go there, here's a snippet:

How Tax Is Calculated

The amount of tax charged depends upon many factors, including the identity of the seller, the type of item purchased, and the destination of the shipment.

Items sold by Amazon.com LLC and shipped to destinations in the states of Washington or North Dakota are subject to tax.

To identify whether an item ordered from any other seller has been taxed, visit the relevant order summary in Your Account and click the "See tax and seller information" link.

If you have already received your order, you can also find the identity of the seller printed under the name of each item on your packing slip. Items identified as "taxed" have been subjected to sales tax. All other items are nontaxable, either because the seller is not required to collect the tax or the item is not subject to tax. See below for more information regarding sales tax on items sold by our online merchants.

If an item is subject to sales tax in the state to which the order is shipped, tax is generally calculated on the total selling price of each individual item. In accordance with state tax laws, the total selling price of an item will generally include item-level shipping and handling charges, item-level discounts, gift-wrap charges, and an allocation of order-level shipping and handling charges and order-level discounts.

The tax rate applied to your order will generally be the combined state and local rate for the address where your order was shipped. Therefore, the sales tax rate applied to your order may be different for an order shipped to your home address than it is for an order for the very same items shipped to your work address. Amazon.com obtains sales tax rates from a leading tax rate service provider.

Note that many factors can change between the time you place an order and the time your order is shipped, which could affect the calculation of sales taxes. Therefore, the amount appearing on your order as Estimated Tax may differ from the sales taxes ultimately charged when your order ships.

For sales tax purposes, electronically delivered products (e-books, e-documents, and electronically delivered software) are considered to be shipped to your credit card billing address.

No sales tax is charged when purchasing gift certificates; however, purchases paid for with gift certificates may be subject to tax.
Old 02-28-03, 02:07 AM

I read on CNET that they were charging tax in 38 states. Here is the full story:

http://news.com.com/2100-1017-983636.html
Old 02-28-03, 02:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

well I just placed an order on Amazon 2 minutes ago and I can say that they are not charging sales tax in PA yet.
Old 02-28-03, 02:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

They are charging tax on items that sell through them from partner retailers. You did not say what you bought but most likely it is not directly from Amazon.
Old 02-28-03, 03:59 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yep, tax is only being charged through Target, ToysRus, BabiesRus and so forth not through amazon company owned site.
Old 03-01-03, 04:12 PM
Cool New Member

Amazon.com charges tax for items sold through Amazon.com, LLC in states where they have an established business presence, i.e. any revenue-generating site, namely Customer Service centers. This means that Washington State, West Virginia and North Dakota are all charged tax. Since the Oregon call center is outsourced, they aren't charged tax.

They are also required by their partners (TRU, BRU, Target) to charge tax if the order is shipped to a state where the respective merchant has a b&m store, in most cases every state.

Merchants that sell through their Apparel Store and Electronics (Office Depot and J&R) have their own tax rules that are similar to the partners tax regulations.
Old 03-01-03, 11:12 PM

Method said:
Amazon.com charges tax for items sold through Amazon.com, LLC in states where they have an established business presence, i.e. any revenue-generating site, namely Customer Service centers. This means that Washington State, West Virginia and North Dakota are all charged tax.
Amazon.com does not charge tax on orders in WV. When I was dealing with Amazon CS on an order, I got transferred to the call center in Huntington, WV. The CSR I spoke to said that they could not work any calls from WV in order to maintain their sales tax exclusion. This may change in the near future if WV adopts the Fairness to Main Street act.

TRU and Target do charge sales tax for WV orders. I don't know about their other partners, since I haven't ordered anything from them.
Old 03-02-03, 02:30 AM
Cool New Member

Then I should call them back because I got charged tax on my recent order and I live in WV. grrr....