Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Most # of DVDs returned w/o receipt @Best Buy

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-03, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What is the most number of DVDs you have returned in one trip at Best Buy without a receipt? I've only done one DVD a trip.
Old 01-05-03, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
I would imagine it's probably somewhere like 4 or 5. Now, if you are trying to return 4 or 5 Tenchi Muyo OAV boxsets, I'm sure that would be different.
Old 01-05-03, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
What about 6 box sets?
Old 01-05-03, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
Originally posted by El Scorcho
What about 6 box sets?
I think as long as it's an even number, you are OK.
Old 01-06-03, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

During the holidays, I did two batches of returns for store credit, about 8 items each time, mostly DVDs and a few CDs.
No problems, got a total store credit of about $300.
Old 01-06-03, 11:39 AM
Banned

if your transaction is below 200, you're usually ok, although you can probably only do this during christmas time...now would be kind of risky and pushing it
Old 01-07-03, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Did 4 DVDs yesterday. $78 worth.
Old 01-07-03, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I returned three on one day, no problem.
They were titles I got from that CH/HSC promo deal.
It turned out decent. I eneded up with:

Gone With The Wind
Lord of the Rings
K*19 Widowmaker
Windtalkers
Spiderman

All for $25. Not too bad.
Old 01-08-03, 12:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
got over $250 dollars returned this Xmas. The year before it was about the same. since you are limited to three nonreceipt returns I figure why not do them all together to conserve my ability to return something in the future.
Old 01-08-03, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

My bestbuy had a limit of $200 that u could return in merchandise without a receipt. Well actually the limit was that you could only return stuff under $200 without a receipt, but it worked out in such a way that you could only return $200 worth of dvds without a receipt. They keep ur driving license # on file. So u can't go to another BB to return more stuff. But if u have a friend (or another drivers license), ur ok.
Old 01-08-03, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is unbelievable. The Best Buys near me absolutely won't return anything without a receipt. Whether it's presents or items I've lost receipts for, it's always a no go trying to swap them.
Old 01-09-03, 12:50 AM

what do you need to have to be able to get a return? i am asking because i do not have a state driver's liscence or id, but i have my college id which is a state facility, will that work?
Old 01-09-03, 01:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by WiccanPagan
what do you need to have to be able to get a return? i am asking because i do not have a state driver's liscence or id, but i have my college id which is a state facility, will that work?
i doubt it. The ones near me require a drivers license or a state ID.

Nothing else seems to work.
Old 01-09-03, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 50 Posts
I had 25 to return so I split it into 2 returns on 2 back to back days--just because I didn't want the other customers in line behind me getting pissed off. The clerks have a difficult time removing those breakaway pink security tags and sometimes scanning the titles. (Somehow "Waking Life" came up as not being in their database.) Anyway, I ended up with about 500 bucks in Gift Cards.

(Last year I returned about 20 DVDs in one shot. There were no objections from the clerks. (Maybe because I was returning a couple of OOP "Salos.") (Just kidding about the "Salos.")

It's seems strange that some Best Buys won't take any merchandise without a receipt. I thought the policies were the same for all stores. Maybe you hit your "3 Return Limit" and didn't know it?

Last edited by Franchot; 01-09-03 at 02:23 PM.
Old 01-09-03, 05:48 PM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Franchot
I had 25 to return so I split it into 2 returns on 2 back to back days--just because I didn't want the other customers in line behind me getting pissed off. The clerks have a difficult time removing those breakaway pink security tags and sometimes scanning the titles. (Somehow "Waking Life" came up as not being in their database.) Anyway, I ended up with about 500 bucks in Gift Cards.

(Last year I returned about 20 DVDs in one shot. There were no objections from the clerks. (Maybe because I was returning a couple of OOP "Salos.") (Just kidding about the "Salos.")

It's seems strange that some Best Buys won't take any merchandise without a receipt. I thought the policies were the same for all stores. Maybe you hit your "3 Return Limit" and didn't know it?
Were you given the lowest prices in their system for the returns?
Old 01-09-03, 07:04 PM

Originally posted by eau
That's how most stores do it, I believe.
Old 01-09-03, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

does that mean my weekend at bernies and from dusk till dawn (reg) will net me 0.00 credit?

both, if you don't recall, where gotten free with buying other titles i know weekend is listed on the receipt as 0.00.
Old 01-10-03, 11:54 AM

Received 73 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally posted by eau
Yup. (As stated by DonkeyKong.) However, some DVDs that I bought the first week they were released (and lost the desire to watch) and were priced at "Guaranteed Lowest Price", I also returned. These increased in price so I made a few bucks, but in the end it probably all just evened out.
Old 01-10-03, 04:31 PM

My BB refuses under any circumstances to take an item back without a receipt.

At one time I shopped there just about every day and everyone knew me. Even though I keep all my receipts I lost the one I needed when it counted. I think I threw it out after food shopping as I had a lot of bags when I arrived home.

When I returned the damaged disc shortly after I bought it, they flatly refused to even exchange it! In fact, the girl at the counter even verified to the manager that I bought the item at her register earlier on.

Yet a big fat NO was the answer from the manager. I even brought with me a bag of BB receipts which must have equalled over $5,000 in purcheses, which I had made during the previous year (to prove what a good customer I was).

So when I posted my problem on the forum someone gave me a great suggestion. That person said that I should call another store like "The Wiz" and explain my problem. I was told maybe they would exchange it since they would only return the defective copy to the manufacturer anyway. It would also help them gain a customer.

It worked! The Wiz which was open near me at the time was glad to take it for an exchange.......I didn't even buy it there and they could care less.

Thanks for nothing BB
Old 01-11-03, 02:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Franchot
Maybe you hit your "3 Return Limit" and didn't know it?
Not in my case. I can't even get to the point where they ask for a name or phone number; it's a "no" right off to bat. Maybe different Best Buy districts have different policies.
Old 01-12-03, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by eau
I don't know how it works with them. I think they just give you whatever their current price is. I returned a copy of 'Secret of my success' and they gave me $23 back. Go figure.
Old 01-12-03, 12:20 PM

Originally posted by huzefa
I don't know how it works with them. I think they just give you whatever their current price is. I returned a copy of 'Secret of my success' and they gave me $23 back. Go figure.
For me they gave me $99.99 in credit plus tax and promptly printed out a price for the amount of $117.99. I said thank you very much!
Old 01-12-03, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by huzefa
I don't know how it works with them. I think they just give you whatever their current price is.
When I returned some DVDs without receipt about a year ago, I was told I'd get the lowest price from the previous 30 (60?) days.
Old 01-12-03, 04:41 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
I just returned The Ultimate Toy Box and they only gave me $49.99 + tax. I don't think they sell this set that cheap for the past 60 days.
Old 01-12-03, 11:26 PM
Hoc

I think the confusion above is this: There's a difference in trying to return an open or damaged item without a receipt and one in sealed, new condition. No store will take back a damaged item or open DVD without a receipt. The ones returned without a receipt are unopened, so that Best Buy can put them right back on the shelf and resell them.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.