Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Buy.com just lost me as a customer

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Old 01-08-03, 10:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ordered Mickey Mouse in Black & White from them the week before Christmas. It's been showing "on order" for a while now.

Last week I went to check on it and it still said on order. Not only that but they don't even have this item listed on their website anymore ! They have the OOP Mickey Mouse In Color set listed instead.

I cancelled my order via the website on Monday. Today it was still showing "cancellation requested" so I called them to see what the deal is. They said it can take up to 3 days to cancel the order.

What the hell ! They're real quick to take your money (no delay there) but when you want to cancel an order due to their incompetence you get the run around.

Unbelievable...

Old 01-08-03, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Re: Buy.com just lost me as a customer

Originally posted by Kiss5150

so I called them to see what the deal is. They said it can take up to 3 days to cancel the order.
Did they charge you $9.95 to tell you that?
Old 01-08-03, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
They will still send it, they will still charge you for it, because they NEVER cancel pre orders. Even if you order it 15 months before it comes out, it's already entred the "shipping process" and they don't cancel orders already in the "shipping process." This is the reason I don't use them any more, because they refuse to cancel any pre orders. Well, they don't refuse....they just make it impossible to do so.

And you will probably get charged for the phone call as well. Buy.com may be good for instock items only, but I don't even use them for that anymore.
Old 01-09-03, 05:33 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
I stopped shopping at Buy a while ago. I can remember them having a Warner Bros. DVD sale, buy 3 or 4 and get 1 free. The catch was in stock only. I did a search and came up with about 200 movies from the studio. 12 in stock, and non were even close to being good. At the time my collection was small, so I would say there were about 50 WB movies I would have purchased, but not a one was in stock. After that, and when I couldn't use coupons for pre-orders, I ran and never looked back.
Old 01-10-03, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

BB lost me as a customer months ago. They just plain stink!

They have poorly trained help, bad management and some kind of retardation when it comes to ordering the proper inventory in terms of DVD titles.

When you consider that they also charge more on most items than you would pay online at a place like DDD (not to mention the tax), there's really no reason to spend much effort shopping there. IMHO

I once spent $5,000 or more at BB per year. Now they’re lucky if I buy one or two DVDs in one of their stores every 2 or 3 months. Sometimes I get bored and grab a title off the shelf or I wouldn’t even buy those two or three movies either.
Old 01-14-03, 11:33 PM

I used to buy most of my DVDs from Buy.com 2 years ago, but now buy from other vendors. Here's why:

1) $30 off $150 orders common, now $10 off $100 in-stock only.
2) Prices were 35-40% off now closer to 25% off
3) Shipping now getting ridiculous: $2.35 each title unless you want free "budget" shipping and don't mind waiting 1-3 weeks for your order to arrive.
4) Buy now charges sales tax here. But the real problem is that they add shipping costs before they calculate the tax.
5) $9.95 customer service charge which used to be free. Why should you have to pay to talk to customer service for a problem probably caused by Buy.com?

I rest my case!

Last edited by dvdirv; 01-15-03 at 11:02 PM.
Old 01-15-03, 12:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by dvdirv

5) $9.95 customer service charge which used to be free. Why should you have to pay to talk to customer service for a problem probably caused by Buy.com?
They're really charging for phone calls? I honestly thought that was a joke! I will tell you right now, I will never order from them, period. What a joke!