Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Beware Amazon.ca's incredibly lousy Customer Service!

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Old 12-12-02, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is what I just sent to Amazon.ca:

I cannot believe this. You are definitely the worst customer service that I have encountered. And if you need me to recount exactly why, here you go:

1) The item that I ordered (Lord of the Rings Extended Edition DVD) never arrived.

2) I SPECIFICALLY said that the item is a Christmas gift. I live in Hong Kong. As such, I said that I was interested in a DHL upgrade, which I would willingly pay for. Somehow, your representatives completely ignored this request.

3) Your representative then said the item is backordered 4-6 weeks. I checked your website to find the item was available in 24 hours.

4) When I pointed out that the order was available, you went ahead and readied a new item for me to be sent via CANADIAN SURFACE. SURFACE??!?!??! My original order was Canadian Air, and now it will take 3 months to get to me?!?!?!

5) I wrote in a very dissatisfied email in order to stop the item from shipping, but you still sent it anyways and never looked at my complaint.

6) As a last resort, I even called LONG-DISTANCE to your representatives at Amazon.ca. Sherry, you rep, then told me she could do nothing, and that I need to wait until the item is returned to Amazon.ca, possibly in 4-6 months' time, before I can get my credit back. I can guarantee you that I will do no such thing to retrieve what you have charged me.

For one, I NEVER approved this item's new shipment to be shipped, especially since I PURPOSEFULLY requested DHL shipment. Secondly, I am buying the gift as a CHRISTMAS PRESENT - what am I going to do with it 3 months from now? Lastly, I WILL NOT BE AT THE SAME ADDRESS in three months' time. I don't even know if I'll still be in Hong Kong! Exactly who are you sending it to?

I find the above absolutely intolerable, especially coming from a brand like Amazon. It is one thing if the item is lost, but to not read a thing that I wrote, then shipping an item without MY approval, I find this to be the ultimate worst in customer services.
Old 12-12-02, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Out of good faith, they should send a DHL one out free of any charge to you and just eat the other one, or at least hope it comes back return to sender when they discover you are not at your address in three months.
Old 12-13-02, 01:23 AM

I really can`t say anything bad about Amazon.ca! I usually opt for the cheapest shipping option which is Canadian Surface but also Surface is going the Airmail route and the 6 to 8 weeks on Amazon`s website isn`t true at all. My items all have arrived within 5 to 6 business days and sometimes even faster!! And i live in Europe.

Also when one of my many orders had a problem they replaced the item very fast and to my full satisfaction.

So far have only good experience from the Amazon stores (France,UK,Germany,Canadian and US! Never tried Japan.)

@grimfarrow
You always mention that you said this and said that but i mean when you finalize your order on Amazon`s website you can choose between several shipping methods and also if you want it Gift Wrapped or not. And you can change shipping options easily in your Account. So why the need to talk to a rep only because you want DHL instead of Surface Mail? Change it yourself. And when they told you the item will ship in 4 to 6 weeks why not order from Amazon.com?! This makes no sense at all and to generally say that Amazon.ca`s customer service sucks isn`t fair.
Old 12-13-02, 02:30 PM

Daniel - you didn't understand the situation. Ialready ordered the item in early November and it was supposedly sent - but I never received it, even 2 weeks after the supposed delivery date.

The problem happened when Amazon.ca promised to rectify this by sending a new order out to me - by CANADIAN SURFACE. They NEVER gave me a choice as to what the shipping was for the replacement, even thoug hI specifically said I woudl be willing to pay for DHL upgrade. No, I cannot choose what type of shipment it is, as it is a replacement order.

Of course I can't go to Amazon.com - Amazon.ca already charged my credit card, but I never received the item from them!
Old 12-13-02, 02:33 PM

Originally posted by calhoun07
Out of good faith, they should send a DHL one out free of any charge to you and just eat the other one, or at least hope it comes back return to sender when they discover you are not at your address in three months.
The supervisor finally emailed me and apologized profusely for the situation. He said he will indeed ship a new one to me via DHL priority, and that it will arrive before Xmas. He even said he will personally track the order to make sure I receive it.

Took them long enough to get to this point. I may consider Amazon.ca again, but from now on I will make sure everything is sent by DHL.
Old 12-14-02, 07:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Grimfarrow
The supervisor finally emailed me and apologized profusely for the situation. He said he will indeed ship a new one to me via DHL priority, and that it will arrive before Xmas. He even said he will personally track the order to make sure I receive it.
Sounds like things will work out after all. Bury your resentment, they took care of the problem when they could have just sat back and waited for the ground shipment to arrive.

Shipments don't always go the way they are supposed to, it's how Companies remedy the situation that counts. Sounds like Amazon stepped up and fixed the problem..
Old 12-14-02, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I've had excellent service from amazon.ca.
When my Babylon 5 set showed up with the disc 2 problem (it contained the disc 4 data), they promptly placed another order for me (before I returned the original set).
The disc set became backordered when they couldn't get another shipment from Warner.
I just got two emails this morning: One saying that the replacement order has shipped via air express, (originally, I had it sent surface). The second was a note informing me that they've refunded my shipping charges from the original order.

Given that I still spent less than half of what I would have had to in order to buy this set in the states, I'd say I'm definitely pleased.

I'm planning on ordering future sets through them.
Old 12-14-02, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree...bury your resentment. I can tell ya that I have ordered from several stores over the past and can find better deals and such at other websites, but in the end, I usually wind back up at amazon (any one of their stores). Why? Because they are perfect? Well, no, then I wouldn't have tried going to other websites, but because of the way they handle issues when they make a mistake, and more often than not, they deal with it quickly and to the customer's satisfaction. I say if you get your LOTR DVD by Christmas, then it was handled to your satisfaction. I understand your frustration in the first place, but I am willing to bet money that there are other websites who would have not done the same for you.
Old 12-14-02, 09:03 PM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'd had excellent service from amazon.ca as well. I preordered Band of Brothers from them. It didn't ship on time because my CC decided to hold the foreign charge. After clearing it up with my CC and telling amazon.ca to retry, my order sat there for over a week. I called them up twice and they first upgraded my shipping to Expedited International, then they waived the fee. Few days later it shipped. All in all, a good experience with amazon.ca
Old 12-15-02, 07:42 PM

I've had several very positive experiences with Amazon.ca customer service. They've always been very polite and helpful. When I received a severely dinged BoB tin, they sent out a new one immediately (and told me to keep the beat up one!!). I'll continue to shop from them = unlike another Canadian etailer (PLAYCENTRIC - avoid them at all costs) (and yes, I realize that Amazon.ca isn't Canadian in the strictest sense - but their CSR's are in Canada).
Old 12-18-02, 01:34 AM

I really can`t say anything bad about Amazon.ca either. They give me an excellent service. Two months ago, I put in an order of 9 DVD that never arrived and they accept to ship me the same order again. 9 DVD ! Thank you Amazon!