Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Ignorance Abounds (general rant)

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-02, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,245 Likes on 856 Posts

Well, I went into one of my favorite local used video outlets the other night. I don't usually go in at night because I have found a dayshift employee that I prefer to deal with. Anyway, they had what appeared to be the 2nd season of the Sopranos sitting in their "feature" area. They had only 3 of the 4 discs (which I didn't realize at the time), each boxed in an individual amaray, and shrinkwrapped from Bloodsucker Video (there were big old BB stickers right on the backs). Each disc was marked $15.

I casually commented to the guy working (whom I had not seen before) that I picked up the first set from them for alot cheaper and in its original box (hoping to maybe talk them down). He tells me that it was probably a USED set and these were NEW so these should cost more!

Rather than dispute this, I simply walked out laughing my ass off. It really irritates me when places try to pawn off excuses and misinformation like that. One of my simple rules of customer service (which we have established as a dying art) is not to be used car salesman. In other words, don't feed me a line of shyte because you don't know the answer. If you don't know, say so, and then offer to find out. This is a sad practice that is coming all the more prevalent in mass merchants, big box retailers, independents, and those lovely eBay auctions.