Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

getting DVDs b4 release date

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Old 08-19-02, 05:41 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am sure that the distributors send copies to writers and others with the ability to promote a new release, but I also know that some consumers manage to get some titles early.

One thread mentioned that mass merchandiser type stores might put a movie on display upon arrival because they don't care, but this is really random.

Are there any stores who, from your experience, always just put films on display once they hit the back door? Are there online retailers or other "catalog" retailers who regularly ship a day or two early? I recieved Amelie on the day it was released so I know that Amazon occasionally ships before the release date. I bought American Pie II at Borders about 30 min before they closed on a monday once, but none of these are reliable sources for (one day) early purchases.

My big thing is that my days off are Sunday and Monday. It always drives me nuts to sit at home and be unable to acquire a new release I know is collecting dust in the back room at best buy.

I would much rather be watching Pulp Fiction right now rather than typing in this forum.
Old 08-19-02, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: getting DVDs b4 release date

Originally posted by jeffbeerman2
Are there online retailers or other "catalog" retailers who regularly ship a day or two early?
I pre-order most of my DVDs from DVDEmpire, and they routinely ship the Friday before the release date. Since I have them sent Priority, I get them on Monday.

Rob
Old 08-19-02, 05:53 PM

Most of the DVDs I preorder arrive early. I'm not going to list the companies though as I don't want them to take s*** for it from those etailers that don't.
Old 08-19-02, 06:51 PM
Banned

DVDSoon ships earlier than most other stores, but the trick is actually getting them to ship. (=
Old 08-19-02, 06:59 PM
Admin Emeritus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Since you're asking about certain stores and their practices, I'm moving this to the Store Forum.
Old 08-19-02, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Static Cling
Since you're asking about certain stores and their practices, I'm moving this to the Store Forum.
And since this has been discussed very recently, I'm closing this thread.

Feel free to ask any new questions you might have in the current thread.

Thanks.