Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

DDD and bill me later

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

DDD and bill me later

Old 10-13-06, 09:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DDD and bill me later

I used bill me later last month for DDDs buy 1 Anchor Bay box set get 1 free.No problems.A couple of weeks later I ordered a DVD for my Dad.It was shipped but never received even though they had the correct address.They said they would send a replacement.However,they were going to charge me for it($11.98 for 2 dvds one of which never arrived).Fortunately Bll-me-later stopped them and DDD sent an email saying I would be refunded.So my Dad didn't get his DVD but at least I wasn't ripped off.
Now on to my questions;First,does anyone know what the credit limit is with Billmelater?I want to order a $600 notebook from ecost.com but I couldn't get the order to go through(Billmelater wouldn't authorize payment).It could be because I owe them almost $53.Before I can use Billmelater again do I need to pay the minimum on my latest statement($20)or do I need to pay it all?I have never been late when paying off my credit cards.
Also,my brother has never had a credit card but would like to get a Billmelater account.Is he s*it outta' luck?
Old 10-13-06, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I know when I first used BML my limit was about $90. As I've made payments, usually more than the minimum, they raise the limit. I recently had a balance of over $200. I currently have it almost paid off in anticipation of next month (DDD).

Your brother should try placing a small order first -- maybe under $60. If it goes thru, just have him make the payments and that establishes a payment history and they raise the limit little by little.

Does he have anything in his name such as a cell phone, car payment, etc.

What was your total order at first? They may have denied authorization on the $600 notebook because that would place you over your "limit" at this time.
Old 10-14-06, 01:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by Xbox69
I currently have it almost paid off in anticipation of next month (DDD).

I paid it all off yesterday for that same reason.
Old 10-14-06, 10:26 AM

I just applied for BML from DDD. If my approval is denied, do they just cancel the order?
Old 10-14-06, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by waylonsmithers
I just applied for BML from DDD. If my approval is denied, do they just cancel the order?
Yes, the order will just be canceled. You may also get an e-mail from DDD stating this. Before that, it may just show up in your 'Order History' as canceled.

However, you will receive the e-mail confirmation just as with any other DDD order.
Old 10-14-06, 11:44 AM

I just got an email from billmelater asking for my information and statement prefenreces. This means I was accepted, right?
Old 10-14-06, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by waylonsmithers
I just got an email from billmelater asking for my information and statement prefenreces. This means I was accepted, right?
Are they asking you to create a username/password, etc? I got one of those with the subject heading "Thank you for choosing Bill-Me-Later".

Looks like it went through. Next you'll get a shipping confirmation from DDD.
Old 10-14-06, 12:58 PM

Are they asking you to create a username/password, etc? I got one of those with the subject heading "Thank you for choosing Bill-Me-Later".

Looks like it went through. Next you'll get a shipping confirmation from DDD.
Yes, I set up a username and password. Is there anyway to check what the credit limit they give you is? I placed an order for $70
Old 10-14-06, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

From their FAQ:

Do I have a credit line and how much is it?

Bill Me Later® does not issue a credit line. To enhance your convenience, security and buying power, Bill Me Later approves and extends credit for each transaction.
You might want to try placing another order. If it goes thru, then you know you're still within your "limit". I recall I placed a 2nd order but a 3rd order could not be authorized.
Old 10-14-06, 04:18 PM

I called them(Billmelater)this afernoon hoping to figure out what my credit line is,or at least why my Ecost order didn't go through.Never did get a hold of a CSR,and the phone menu didn't even have the option to speak with one.Hopefully it was only because they were closed?I emailed them about a few days a go and their reply was something or other about not being able to give out that kind of information.Bullshit.
Old 10-14-06, 06:17 PM
Banned

All they are is a credit card company, I have gone thru alot of BS with them. My first purchase was no payment no interest for 90 days. Well DVD never delivered my item and they had to refund Bill Me Later. So I went ahead and placed another order a few weeks later for something else. Guess what? My second purchase was NOT no payments for 90 days and I did not know this and they stuck me with $19 late fees twice. They tell me if I pay the balance of what I owe in full they will wave the late fees. Well if I had the money I would not have used Bill Me Later and just paid for the dvds.....WTF??
Old 10-14-06, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by foxxvox
I called them(Billmelater)this afernoon hoping to figure out what my credit line is,or at least why my Ecost order didn't go through.Never did get a hold of a CSR,and the phone menu didn't even have the option to speak with one.Hopefully it was only because they were closed?I emailed them about a few days a go and their reply was something or other about not being able to give out that kind of information.Bullshit.
I called them again early this evening.Turns out they do have the option to speak to a CSR(I forget which number you have to press).First I asked her about a credit limit.She said Bil me later does not set a limit(not sure if I believe that).I told her about placing an order with Ecost and that the order didn't go through because Bill me later did not authorize it.I asked her if it was beacause my current balance is $53.She said that would not be the reason.Than I don;t know what is.It's either that or my credit limit is not enough to get a six hundred dollar notebook.I have never been in credit card debt,always pay on time and currently owe Discover no more than $50.I'll try ordering one more time.If that doesn't work I'll call Ecost and try to place the order over the phone.
Old 10-15-06, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

foxvoxx, how long have you used Bill Me Later? Have you ever had a balance anywhere near $600 thru them before?

For example, I can't see myself owing them $200 one month and then $600+ a short time later. It's been my experience that any so called "limit" they place on your account increases (however little) with each payment and purchase you make. Perhaps even with the amount of time you've maintained a BML account.

A call to eCost would most likely result the same if you try funding the purchase with BML.

Last edited by Xbox69; 10-15-06 at 11:01 AM.
Old 10-15-06, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Wildo1966
All they are is a credit card company, I have gone thru alot of BS with them. My first purchase was no payment no interest for 90 days. Well DVD never delivered my item and they had to refund Bill Me Later. So I went ahead and placed another order a few weeks later for something else. Guess what? My second purchase was NOT no payments for 90 days and I did not know this and they stuck me with $19 late fees twice. They tell me if I pay the balance of what I owe in full they will wave the late fees. Well if I had the money I would not have used Bill Me Later and just paid for the dvds.....WTF??
The "No Payments, No Interest for 90 Days" are only special promotions that last for a limited time.

DDD had one during their June sale and it carried over thru the month of July. You have to read the terms very carefully. I believe the minimum purchase was $100 -- and even so, you would still need to check the box for the special offer during the checkout process with the merchant.

The $100 minimum at DDD seemed very generous since many of the merchants usually have a $250 minimum to take advantage of "No Payments, No Interest" offer.

Perhaps it may have been a mistake on their part as well. Did your mailed/e-mailed statements indicate a minimum payment of $0.00 due?
Old 10-15-06, 03:03 PM

foxvoxx, how long have you used Bill Me Later? Have you ever had a balance anywhere near $600 thru them before?

For example, I can't see myself owing them $200 one month and then $600+ a short time later. It's been my experience that any so called "limit" they place on your account increases (however little) with each payment and purchase you make. Perhaps even with the amount of time you've maintained a BML account.

A call to eCost would most likely result the same if you try funding the purchase with BML.
I have had a BML accout since early September.I have only used BML once.I forgot to pay by the payment due date last month so they added a late charge and now my balance is near $53.I don't believe that they do not set a credit limit for their customers.I think they don't want to take the time to check each persons "credit history".If they tell me for some reason that I can't make purchases totaling more than say $200 using BML,so what?Do they think I'll get mad and scream obscenities or something?
Old 10-16-06, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I realize they check your credit prior to providing you with an account, but do they also report your payment history to the various credit agencies?
Old 10-17-06, 04:52 PM

Yes, the order will just be canceled. You may also get an e-mail from DDD stating this. Before that, it may just show up in your 'Order History' as canceled.

However, you will receive the e-mail confirmation just as with any other DDD order.
This has never shown to be true for me. I have tried three times over the last few years, the last time a few months ago. Each time the account was denied but I was not notified, only notified of it being shipped to me, and DDD charged my card I had on the website record.
Old 10-17-06, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by JCFantasy23
This has never shown to be true for me. I have tried three times over the last few years, the last time a few months ago. Each time the account was denied but I was not notified, only notified of it being shipped to me, and DDD charged my card I had on the website record.
Now I realize it was after I had established my BML account that DDD would notify me if an order could not be authorized thru Bill Me Later. Prior that that orders would just be canceled with no notice.

They'd advise me to choose another payment method but wouldn't automatically charge the CC on file.

Last edited by Xbox69; 10-17-06 at 05:07 PM.
Old 10-18-06, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

How does BML work? Is there interest or something? What's the catch? I may want to use this during the 20% off sale, but I'm alittle nervous as to what it entails and if there is any 'fine print'. Thanks.
Old 10-19-06, 06:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by John Slider
How does BML work? Is there interest or something? What's the catch? I may want to use this during the 20% off sale, but I'm alittle nervous as to what it entails and if there is any 'fine print'. Thanks.
Click on the banner atop the DDD homepage. Most of the "fine print" is on there. Additionally, they have their own website -- bill-me-later.com

During the last DDD 20% off sale, they had a special "No Payments, No Interest for 90 Days" offer which applied to purchases of $100 or more.

When you select BML at checkout, there is still a review process before your account would be approved and set up.