Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

CDnow is the WORST!

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

CDnow is the WORST!

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-01, 11:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CDnow, is the WORST!

I just got a dvd in the mail today from CDnow. The disc
was floating in the case, and when I opened it, it was
totally scratched up. $4 for shipping and they send it
in a crappy peice of folded over cardboard.

This actually comes after using a $10 "sorry we're idiots"
gift certificate from when I ordered "Legend" (Tom Cruise)
last year and got "The Legend" (Jet Li). If they expect for me to
send it back before getting another copy, I am going to
be pretty upset. It took like a month to get the return to
go through in their system when I had to return "The
Legend".

If you can, avoid these guys at all costs. I have bought from them
now three times and the last two times were negatives
experiences. I wouldn't have even bought this dvd if it hadn't
been for a sale and having the $10 gfit certificate. I should
have got gotten the movie somewhere else and given away
the $10.

And on top of all that, I find it a bit odd that I don't live in
the same state as cdnow, and the package was shipped from
florida, though I am in NY, but I still needed to pay sale tax. It
is also odd that the shipping was $3.99 and for some magical
reason sales tax just happens to be $2.01. Isn't that convenient?
It seems like they are charging me over 10% sales tax because
the total order (with shipping) was under $20. EVEN if they say
they chage based on the "before the gift certificate", the sales
tax was way too high.

What a rip-off. AVOID CDnow

Last edited by andrew_randy; 11-24-01 at 11:05 AM.
Old 11-24-01, 03:27 PM

Yeah, I know what you mean about cdnow's shipping. I bought Marilyn Monroe : The Diamond Collection from them, and the whole corner was bent (and there was not even a dent in the box whatsoever). Not to mention, Thanks to them not applying my right gift ceritificate amounts to my last order, I now have a negative $3.00 in my Webcertificate account... Argh. After waiting a month for one of my dvds to come in which was a very popular title at the time! I think they need to get their act together.
Old 11-24-01, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
While I suffered through the "(The) Legend" fiasco too I can truly say that is the only problem I have ever had with CD Now.

As other sites got rid of their coupons (like buy.com) and Amazon cannot charge the correct price to your credit card, I have found myself ordering more and more from CD Now. With the 30% off prices (occasionally 40%) and the 15% coupons off those prices, I find myself preordering from them almost exclusively (with an occasional order from DDD). Yes, their shipping is high but that can be mitigated by putting multiple items in an order. I get my discs almost always between one day before and two days after street date. And I've never been charged sales tax (in Wisconsin).

Also, I've never gotten a damaged disc from them. The packaging seems sturdy and strong to me.

I've had 25 items shipped from CD Now since July and I have 20 items in preorder now.

Edit: I checked out the Legend order I mentioned above and found it was with buy.com, not CD Now. So I have actually never had a problem with CD Now.

Last edited by movielib; 12-02-01 at 11:44 AM.
Old 11-25-01, 06:26 PM

I've been shopping at CDNow since '99 and only started having problems recently. I ordered "The 39 Steps: Criterion" and "Naked Kiss: Criterion" for $7.99 during their recent sale. (See: here.) Unfortunately they shipped me cheaper versions which normally retail for $7.99... and even though I have proof that they had both Criterion titles listed for $7.99, they are determined to lose my custom. Also I'm out the cost of shipping both ways. I've placed several thousand dollars worth of business their way and recommended them to other friends and colleagues. Should I look elsewhere for a better online source - Amazon isn't worth it anymore as it's too much trouble trying to get their CS to ship orders at the agreed upon price.
Old 11-25-01, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
I pre-ordered Queen "We Will Rock You - DTS" and which was shipped timely, but sent me the D/D version. So I call the c/s rep and explain the situation and she tells me that they will send me out a replacement (no charge) and return label for the wrong item.

7-10 days later, I receive the replacement which is the D/D version, AGAIN! I get back on the phone with c/s and explain the situation and am told that it wasn't their mistake, the warehouse screwed up. I said I don't differentiate between you and the warehouse. AFAIC, CDNOW SCREWED UP! I told her not to send out a 3rd copy and to just cancel the order (2 strikes and they're out). To further annoy me, I haven't received the return label they told me they sent for the first wrong replacement.
Old 11-26-01, 01:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
To further annoy me, I haven't received the return label they told me they sent for the first wrong replacement.
Call them again, and ask for two return labels. Tell them that you want them here within 7 business days, and if that doesn't happen, that you would refute the charges with your credit card company. I know this may sound harsh, but they sent you the wrong product twice. When you bought the product, you agreed to pay them money for the DTS version, not the DD version. Also, it may help if you talk to the supervisor. I seem to get the most success when talking to the higher ups.
Old 12-01-01, 09:34 AM

A follow-up to the original post...

I called CDnow on monday morning to find out what I needed to
do to get another copy of the dvd that would arrive in good
condition.

The CSR was very nice and said they would get one right out
to me

Today, 12/1, a week after the first arrived, I was happy to see
a new mailer from cdnow in my mailbox...

happy that is, until I picked it up...

THIS ONE is loose inside of the pacakge too. I dont even want
to bother opening it. And of course, its saturday, so I can't
call anyone again until monday. What do I do now, wait for
another scratched up disc to show up? Wait a month for them
to process my refund if I say screw it I dont want another one?
Old 12-02-01, 02:47 AM

Another CDNOW trick that started recently:
sept 10 I ordered 3 titles Almost Famous Boot Cut, Pearl Harbor Gift Set and Willow SE.
Total shipping 7.20 $.
Last week they shipped Willow SE and charged the 7.20 $ for the shipping, yesterday they shipped the other 2 and charged another 3.98 $ for shipping!
I have send them an e-mail that I have not given them permission to charge my card for the extra 3.98 $ and that I want it back.
Old 12-02-01, 05:15 PM

"Charging you two or three times for shipping"

Oh yes...that is one reason I have not ordered from them in a very long time. It took me about a month before they credited my credit card for the right amount. Hound them, to get your money back, I did!

I have ordered cd's from them and they arrive as late as two weeks after the release date. Never again, I don't shop there no matter how good the deal is!

R~

Last edited by rhett7660; 12-03-01 at 04:34 PM.
Old 12-02-01, 10:31 PM

CDNOW has done right by me with more than 10 dvds ordered over the past several months. All my dvds were pre-ordered. I was charged correctly on all occasions. I had a problem with my Shrek dvd and emailed them about returning it. The CSR emailed me back within 24 hours and gave me a $5 credit for the return shipping. I decided that it was too much of a hassle to return the dvd and decided to keep it. They allowed me to keep the credit which i used for two cds together with the 15% off coupon.
Maybe, I am just one of the lucky ones.
Old 12-02-01, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I could use some advice with them myself. I preordered Tomb Raider and Pearl Harbor and now Tomb raider is showing as backordered and Pearl harbor showing as in stock. I had them set to ship together. I paid for them both using a gift certificate. What will happen if I cancel tomb raider? Is there a way I can pay extra for shipping or something and get my Pearl Harbor now? This is the first I have shopped with them.
Old 12-03-01, 05:14 AM
exm
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Don Catchpole
I could use some advice with them myself. I preordered Tomb Raider and Pearl Harbor and now Tomb raider is showing as backordered and Pearl harbor showing as in stock. I had them set to ship together. I paid for them both using a gift certificate. What will happen if I cancel tomb raider? Is there a way I can pay extra for shipping or something and get my Pearl Harbor now? This is the first I have shopped with them.
If you cancel TR, PH will ship. You can also e-mail them and ask to change your order into 'ship when available' (with additional shipping charges)...
Old 12-03-01, 05:17 AM
exm
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Okay, my two cents: I never had a problem with CDNOW's customer service. The only problems I've had where a missing shipment (I got a replacement right away) and right now I have a problem with Heather's Limited Edition Tin (disc won't play) but I refuse to return that one since it's OOP and OOS. CDNOW put a credit of $27.99 on my account and I gave them the choise to either send me the 'normal' version so I can swap the discs (which is the same anyway) or that I keep the Tin and the $27.99. No problems whatsoever with CDNOW!

Concerning the packaging: I had a problem with Amazon (also a loose disc) but got it replaced. IMO it can happen at any e-tailer, just as long as they solve the problem in a customer-friendly way.
Old 12-03-01, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts
CDNow have RAPED people on shipping fees for well over a year now. They did the same to me when I ordered three CD's they said were all in stock. I actually spoke to someone one the phone before ordering to ensure this because these were gifts. Well, as it turns out, only one was in stock. So they sent each to me separately. At $3.00 a pop to sheep, that crap adds up. Why haven't these guys tanked yet? No one seems to like them!
Old 12-03-01, 02:52 PM

Loose discs are not necessarily the fault of the retailer. They can become dislodged while in transit, not be properly seated at the manufacturing/packing plant, etc. If it's a sealed DVD, the you can't blame CDNOW cause it's loose in the case. As long as they replace it...

You guys are starting to scare me now..I have $125 in GC's to use...lol (btw, can you use more then 1 GC at a time?).
Old 12-03-01, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

You guys are starting to scare me now..I have $125 in GC's to use...lol (btw, can you use more then 1 GC at a time?).
Yes. CD NOW GCs are stackable. Shipping isn't bad as long as all of your stuff comes from the same warehouse.
Old 12-04-01, 12:57 AM
exm
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by sullise
Not necessary. CDNOW is no better or worse than the rest.
Old 12-04-01, 02:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Not necessary. CDNOW is no better or worse than the rest.
Maybe so, but they ream you on shipping, especially if you buy 3 items and all of them come from different warehouses.
Old 12-04-01, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by thgord
I pre-ordered Queen "We Will Rock You - DTS" and which was shipped timely, but sent me the D/D version. So I call the c/s rep and explain the situation and she tells me that they will send me out a replacement (no charge) and return label for the wrong item.

7-10 days later, I receive the replacement which is the D/D version, AGAIN! I get back on the phone with c/s and explain the situation and am told that it wasn't their mistake, the warehouse screwed up. I said I don't differentiate between you and the warehouse. AFAIC, CDNOW SCREWED UP! I told her not to send out a 3rd copy and to just cancel the order (2 strikes and they're out). To further annoy me, I haven't received the return label they told me they sent for the first wrong replacement.
I have an update to this story. I received the return label and sent the 2 DVD's back to CDNOW about 10-12 days ago. Yesterday, I got the package back with a note from the P.O. saying that the "No Postage Necessary" label CDNOW sent me was no good, and that the addressee had moved. I called the CSR line and immediately asked for a manager. The manager explained that, yes they had moved but that no one had realized that they were still sending out the labels with the old return address. Jesus, what morons! The mgr. extended a $3 credit for the return postage that I was going to pay, but wouldn't apply it directly to my c/c, instead it had to be on a future order. I asked if it could be applied to an existing (pre-order), and he did apply it to that. That was the last straw. I have totally sworn of CDNOW for good.

Last edited by Jack Straw; 12-04-01 at 02:46 PM.
Old 12-04-01, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The manager explained that, yes they had moved but that no one had realized that they were still sending out the labels with the old return address.

I'd insist on the manager sending a new label, and cancel the pre-order (unless you used a GC). In situations like this, you have to be firm, but don't yell in their face.
Old 12-04-01, 04:16 PM

Return problems here too

I returned four DVDs that were all incorrect cheaper editions sent by CDNow's shippers. (I ordered two copies of "Naked Kiss: Criterion Collection" and "The 39 Steps: Criterion Collection" during their last sale) Only three have been marked as returned in my order history. I've repeatedly asked CDNow to fix it or send me an affidavit that they didn't receive it so I can lodge a mail theft form with the postal inspectors to receive compensation.
Old 12-04-01, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by exm

If you cancel TR, PH will ship. You can also e-mail them and ask to change your order into 'ship when available' (with additional shipping charges)...
I got a response today and they won't change the order. They said the only way is to cancel the Tomb Raider. Now I'm worried because I paid by gift certificate combined with a coupon. If I cancel will I get either back? I suppose I'll give it a few more days to see if tomb raider comes back in stock.
Old 12-04-01, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by dpham00

I'd insist on the manager sending a new label, and cancel the pre-order (unless you used a GC). In situations like this, you have to be firm, but don't yell in their face.
I would consider that if only it hadn't taken 2 weeks to receive the label with the old address. Besides, the open preorder has now been offset with two sets of $3 off credits due to CDNOW's ineptitude. Plus it's for Roger Waters - "In The Flesh", which I really want, and I'm not sure what the availability of this non mainstream release will be on 12/18.
Old 12-31-01, 01:24 PM

Another update on the original post...

I called up about the second loose disc at around the
begining of december. I was told that since this was
the second disc found like this, they whole batch
might be bad so I had a few options:

1-get an instant refund
2-wait the 1-2 weeks(!?) it takes them to see if they have
another disc thats not damaged for a 3rd replacement.
3-get credit on my account.

I said I am done! I want my refund, and I was told it would
take 7-10 days to go through. I said to email me with this
info. When they emailed me it was a from letter again telling
me how to return a dvd...but the original dvd was returned.
It gave me the same info again, for the original. No mention
of the refund. Again, just to clarify, this was not how to return
the replacement (with a new authorization number for the
replacement order), it was the authorization number for the
original order that shows a "returned" already in my order
history.

I waited a while due to their business hours of customer service
picking up the phone and the holidays (not wanting to be on hold
for 20 minutes). I decided I would just send an email.

I said in the email that I had heard nothing since the email
I received on 12/3. I told the whole story again. They tell me
now a "refund" has been "sent" (sent??)-I assume as of 12/28,
the day I sent that email-and that I should "receive" it shortly.
I dont know where they are "sending" it. THEN in another email
they mention how they put another order in for the movie NOT
a processing of a refund. They never sent a "refund", they
decided to ship me another "replacement" without asking...

I go back to the web page and check and now its back ordered
and won't ship for 1-4 WEEKS...I email them again and tell them
I didn't want the movie, its not worth the $5 I "saved" to wait
any longer, and I want the refund...no responce. Today, 12/31,
they send me an email saying the movie has shipped.

So for clarification, I placed an original order with cdnow on
november 15th. Today the unwanted second replacement
shipped, a month and a half later. I still haven't gotten a copy
of the movie I can watch. The customer service does whatever
they want with no regaurd for what I ask them to do, even when
they give it to me as an option.

Sure a loose disc can happen anytime, from anyone, but when
they tell me their whole batch may be like that over the phone,
and they can't even check for 1-2 WEEKS, offer me a refund and
do nothing for a month, only to ship me another copy, how can
anyone defend these guys? Its their the quality of the service I
am attacking here. Maybe others didn't have a problem, but why
risk it? If you haven't ordered from them, DON'T. If you get what
you wanted, its ok, but if you have a problem, get ready to
either throw money away or wait for monthes to get something
veiwable. Again this comes after getting screwed over on that
whole Tom Cruise "Legend"/Jet Li "The Legend" thing from last
year too.

What a joke. If you see a 15% off thing or whatever their current
coupon scam is, pass it by. $3.99 for shipping and the questionable
$2.01 charge for sale tax should be enough to stear you away.
I still dont know how they figured the sales tax (when I am in
another state no less) is exactly $2.01 making a shipping total
$6. What percentage of my original order was used to get $2.01
as the sales tax???

Its a dishonest company with HORRIBLE customer serivce.
Old 12-31-01, 02:36 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I too have had nothing but problems with CDNow lately. I ordered 3 movies about a month ago, and had them ship together - One was a pre-order which was due out on January 2nd. I decided to cancel one of the other movies, and it should have been no problem, as the pre-order was still holding up anything from shipping - Wrong!

"Somehow", the pre-order and the other DVD got cancelled (a bug in the warehouse, I was told), and the movie I wanted to cancel was shipped to me, on 12/06. I called, got a $2 credit for my problem (even though I was out $4 in shipping), and have been waiting ever since for my return label so I can return it. A CSR told me that if I didn't receive it by Xmas, to call them. So I did on the 26th, and supposedly a 2nd label has been sent. It's the 31st, and I haven't gotten it yet.

Ironically, I did get my pre-order today, even though the street date isn't until Wednesday. Still sucks, because it's going to be another 5-6 weeks before my account is credited for this DVD I've been trying to return for the last month, and it's being held up by their incompetance of sending a damn label. I'd pay shipping myself, but I'm already getting the screw with not getting my original shipping charges credited back.

I've been a customer of theirs for 4 years, but I even told the manager there, I'm never shopping again.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.