Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

BestBuy and some of their employees, Ag!!

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Old 11-24-01, 06:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, yesterday morning I went to Bestbuy with my Dad to get him a new reciever and surround system. Found what we wanted and procided to get some "help" from an employee there. Being extremely crowded there were no carts or anything so, I very kindly asked the employee to help carry the receiver while I carried the speaker set, because my dad has a really bad back. Well, the employee wouldn't do that, and on top of that wouldn't stop tell me I needed this cable and that cable, and ofcourse the famous service plan. I wasn't TOO bothered about it until he started walking with me to the front while I carried both receiver and speaker set, continuing to talk about the service plan and so on. I was ready to beat this guy on the head with the damn stuff!!! I am sure many of you have stories like this, I just thought I would include my own

Oh, and when I asked him, since he is walking with me anyways why not help me, he said he couldn't leave his area. OK, whatever!!

I loose just alittle more respect for bestbuy evertime I go in there.

Thanks for letting me vent
Old 11-24-01, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well it was Black Friday ya know...I am sure that day was pure hell for him. But I do think he should have helped carry the reciever, that is just kinda rude not doing that.
Old 11-24-01, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Bigbot
I loose just alittle more respect for bestbuy evertime I go in there.

Thanks for letting me vent
I won't go into that toilet until they have signs that say "Only 30 minutes to the register from this point." Now that I think about it, not even then...
Old 11-24-01, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Not only do we expect low prices and plenty of selection, we also want them to be nice to us.
Old 11-24-01, 07:21 PM
Banned

Originally posted by funstan
Not only do we expect low prices and plenty of selection, we also want them to be nice to us.
Word!
Old 11-24-01, 08:57 PM

I mean, I understand he might have been busy, but if he wasn't gonna help me in the way I needed, then he should have stopped his sales pitch when I said I don't need him for that. Instead he just kept trying to get me to get more stuff. That's no way to get me to do that. I am not saying all Bestbuy employees are worthless, just this guy.

And, he was explaining cables and home theater to me, which in it's self was a joke. I was like, dude I have done this many many times, get away from me. And ofcourse his info was all wrong. For example, according to him I have to have both the optical and coaxial cables to get DD/DTS sound. I was laughing at this point!!
Old 11-24-01, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Keep in mind that obviously you knew what was going to happen when you went in there, and you still went. Don't be mad at the guy for telling you about the cables and service plan, that is his job, and you obviously knew about that already as well, so you should not be upset about it. I tend to expect that stuff when I go in there. At that point I make the decision, 'do I go into that hell hole or not'.
Old 11-25-01, 12:12 AM

oh no no no, I wasn't upset at him for telling me about the stuff. I was upset at him for telling me as I carried all that stuff to the register. If he can't leave the "area" then why walk with me? And, if he is gonna walk with me and tell me that stuff, why can't he help carry something. It was the simple fact that he didn't want to do any labor work. Plus, I wouldn't buy stuff like that from them, but my dad wanted what he wanted, parents can be that way, sometimes In any event it turned out cool. I got the guy away from me and I was happy.
Old 11-25-01, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
For example, according to him I have to have both the optical and coaxial cables to get DD/DTS sound. I was laughing at this point!!
[sarcastic]What??? you don't???[/sarcastic]

But I do agree, most CSR don't know what they're talking about, but it's not their fault, rather it's the management who should have trained them.

On another note, I don't see what's the big deal about all these special cables. I mean, do I really need to spend $30 on a set of component cables? The quality is just the same as any 75 ohm coax cable. Also, they have this "digital coax" cable bit. I mean, any coax cable can transmit the digital signal. Also, there's no real difference between coax and optical (at least in my experience).
Old 11-25-01, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by dpham00
I mean, do I really need to spend $30 on a set of component cables? The quality is just the same as any 75 ohm coax cable.
I hope you know that Component cables are used for video, while coax/optical cables are used for audio... And yes, people have used coat hangers to transmit their audio. I'd rather spend $30 and have piece of mind. If you want to buy a $8 optical cable from Wally World, go ahead
Old 11-26-01, 01:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I hope you know that Component cables are used for
video, while coax/optical cables are used for audio... And yes, people have used coat hangers to transmit their audio. I'd rather spend $30 and have piece of mind. If you want to buy a $8 optical cable from Wally World, go ahead
Yes. I know that. I just assumed that everyone else did too. I hope I didn't confuse anyone.
Old 11-26-01, 07:55 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Must be the same guy I had-I bought speakers that were all the way up on the top rack so this employee took time out from playing witht he pretty lights and knobs on one of the receivers to scurrry up there and bring me down .. ONE speaker-I told him I needed another speaker and asked him why he didnt bring both down and he looked at me and siad "you're kidding right?"..I can see his point..why would someone buy a PAIR of friggin speakers right???
Old 11-26-01, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally posted by funstan
Their prices are far from low and their selection is nearly non-existent.

I was checking out some monster cables for XBox on the Monster Cable website. Best Buy is selling them (trying to) for $10.00 over list price! There is a best buy for you
Old 11-26-01, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I can see his point..why would someone buy a PAIR of friggin speakers right???
You were buying center speakers right?
Old 11-27-01, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 225 Likes on 154 Posts
First: Do BB Employees work on commission?

I could have sworn they don't.

Anyway....the cashier that rang me up kept informing every customer buying DVD players, that they would need A/V cables, but there was no need to get out of line, one of the TRAINED sales associates would be happy to get them.

How thoughtful of BB...right???....WRONG!!!!!

The BB Sale Associates would bring customers the $40+ a/v cables. Some were trying to sell customers, A/V, S-video, Component, optical altogether.

When it was my turn to check out the cashier asked if I wanted there Service Plan. Of course I said no, then she went on about how the MW would only be good for 90Days blah, blah, blah (I've heard it all before). Then she asked if needed A/V cables ...and of course i said no. Finally, she ask me if I had the correct audio cables.

I replied..."optical or coaxial"

She remained silent while she finished ringing me up.
Old 11-28-01, 12:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I replied..."optical or coaxial"
It's sad they don't even know the difference.
Old 11-28-01, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I am always pestered in this no commission best buy

I remember when I was buying my PS2. I had a couple people try to get me to buy memory cards, games, and additional controllers. when the third person came up to me to sell me more he started with "you know the PS2 does not come with a memory card or additional controller"

I glared back at him and said " I can read, can i get back to shopping or do you have any more useful information to give me"

Rude I know , but they would not leave me alone. the rest of my time they stayed away from me
Old 11-28-01, 10:43 AM

I work at BB, part - time, in the HT department.
I've sold before, both in person, and over the phone, so I know how to sell. I also know HT very well, not cause I'm the smartest guy in the world, but because I do a lot research, ya know it was a hobby long before I came to BB.
Anyway, us blue-shirters are trained, encouraged, dare I say almost coerced by management to sell not only the product, but accessories, service plans, etc. So, as the above poster said, they're just doing their job. For the most part, most of the crew I work with are under 23 years old, have no idea about HT, and don't really care to learn about it. (Even the managers' knowledge is suspect. I had one tell me you don't need a DTV to view a 480p picture from DVD, sheesh) BB salespeople ARE NOT on commission, but they still want you to buy everything you might need at their store, as opposed to getting home, then realizing, "Damn, I forgot this or that", and needing to got to CC or Rat Shack or whatever. Now this guy was correct in saying he wasn't SUPPOSED to leave his zone, and he was correct in trying to sell you service, and etc. However, his COMMON sense and COMMON courtesy should have told him if was going to leave his area, the LEAST he could 've done was to help you carry whatever you needed him to. I always do, even to the point of helping customers get stuff to their cars; even though we have guys who are assigned to do that. To me it's just another way to extend the rapport I've hopefully already established.

Anyway, guys in closing, keep in mind when you got to BB, DON'T expect to be blown away by the sales staff knowledge or courtesy, and DO expect to be offered stuff you may not want.

Last edited by digitalboy; 11-29-01 at 04:08 PM.
Old 11-28-01, 11:26 AM

yup, that's what I was trying to say, thanks digitalboy. I know it was his job, but he didn't show the "professionalism" that was needed. When I worked in service, I made sure the customer was happy. That made selling a lot easier.