Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

HOLY CRAP! (Ep 1 at Best Buy)

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Old 10-16-01, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm on my way to work, but I just figured I'd stop by on my way, and post this...

I got there about 10AM for opening, to pick up my Star Wars DVD, well, apparently about 300 other people had the same idea..I got there and there was this massive line around the building!!!! I couldn't believe it.

Luckily they had about 500 copies(or so it seemed) and I got mine.
Old 10-16-01, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what was their price ??? i was at CC at opening and no one there .. tons of copies ... 17.99
Old 10-16-01, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
PEOPLE, PEOPLE, STOP THE MADNESS, IT'S ONLY A MOVIE

My money is still on Shrek for the DVD of year.
Old 10-16-01, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 602 Likes on 486 Posts
I can't believe the amount of people rushing to get this and further more, I can't believe that they would rush to Best Buy of all places. 300 people! Probably only 1 or 2 checkout lines open. Sheer madness.
Old 10-16-01, 10:21 AM

I'm glad to hear that people are going about their normal daily life in spite of all the crazy stuffs going on out there (well, at least for DVD folks anyway ). I'm off to get mine...
Old 10-16-01, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally posted by JimRochester
PEOPLE, PEOPLE, STOP THE MADNESS, IT'S ONLY A MOVIE

My money is still on Shrek for the DVD of year.
Do you mean Shrek will be a better DVD or sell more copies. Beacuse while it should do incredibly well, I don't think Shrek can match Episode 1 in sales
Old 10-16-01, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm popping in over lunch.

maybe

Thanks for the warning, Thunderball!
Old 10-16-01, 10:48 AM

I went to Fry's in Manhattan Beach, CA and was there at 7:45, opened at 8:00am. Only about 5 people in line and walked in and was checked out by 8:03. Not too shabby. There is a Best Buy just down the street that opens at 10am. Probably will be mobbed. Both however have it at $17.99.
Old 10-16-01, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I almost went to Best Buy at 10am but I opted instead to do an early lunch at 11am. They had tons and tons of TPM DVDs but had run out of the FREE Games Demo disc they were giving away. This is a very slow Best Buy and there wasn't really very many people there at 11am so the geek crowd must have blown in at 10am and then made their way back home to post here.
Old 10-16-01, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,854 Likes on 1,227 Posts
I went around 10:30 AM and there wasn't a line. Actually, to my great surprise, there wasn't a prominent display (I didn't see one at all, but maybe it was buried somewhere), and there weren't any copies in the "Hot DVDs" section...not even an empty space where copies might've been earlier. There were a fair number of copies in the Sci-Fi section, but again, not too many out and no gaping holes. I guess the Best Buy here isn't banking on selling too many copies right now.
Old 10-16-01, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I will be part of the lunch geek crowd.
Old 10-16-01, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I went to CC soon after they opened and there was no one there. I almost expected to see tumbleweeds roll by. They had tons of Ep. I laying around (which is to be expected). I hate to go to my local CC because of past poor service & employee ignorance ("Citizen Kane? That's music right?" - see recent
thread) but I doubt Wal-Mart had it any cheaper.

What is Wal-mart's price, BTW?
Old 10-16-01, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I just picked it up at the local Best Buy here. They had a big display in the front of the store, and there were tons of copies still there. $17.99, in case you were wondering.
Old 10-16-01, 11:47 AM

I went to our local Walmart at midnight just for kicks... there was only one other guy there waiting to buy a copy of TPM. They had it priced at $22.99. Whipped out my Best Buy ad and they matched at $17.99. Watched the one-hour documentary before bed... it should be the prototype for how to do a behind-the-scenes documentary.. fabulous stuff!

Bob
Old 10-16-01, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by freudguy
I almost expected to see tumbleweeds roll by.
Yeah, that was the scene at the Best Buy I went to. It was kinda funny... the place was so empty and ever so often you would see someone rush in to find the display right at the front and then stop to compose themselves and casually pick one up.

I really expected to see more people but I guess they all got there when the doors opened. I am also disappointed at the media coverage/promotions for this DVD. I have read here at DVD Talk that there are Radio Commercials and even TV Commercials, heck, other countries went wild with TV Promos for the DVD but here in Orlando, FL I saw/heard nothing. All of the sunday ads had a TPM screen shot on all TVs through the ads but noone around town did anything spectacular that I know of.

Makes me wonder if its the Jar Jar factor or if we will see the same thing when Episodes IV, V and VI come out.

As for the whole "Shrek" theory... that was one excellent movie and I will definitely buy it but I don't see it outselling TPM or Snow White for that matter.
Old 10-16-01, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My local BestBuy was dead. I was in and out in about 5 minutes.
Old 10-16-01, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I had mine reserved at Media Play. They were suppose to open at ten but as I was pulling up around 9:40 they were unlocking the doors. I was in, out and home by 10.

Scanned the discs
Watched the film
Cranked the podrace ( I had chills it was THAT good )
Checking out the doc now and it's amazing. Certainly a new standard.
Old 10-16-01, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I stopped by Best Buy this morning at about 10:30 to pick up the new New Order disc (got TPM last week) and it was pretty dead as well.

There were a few folks coming in and just buying TPM off the front display and leaving, but no more than usual new release Tuesday.
Old 10-16-01, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Are the Best Buys where you live handing out promo CDs of the upcoming Star Wars games too? It's labeled Star Wars Fall Force Gaming Preview. I got one and along with the $5 store credit I got from a random survey was quite happy to walk out of there (in 5 minutes to boot) with all that for $14.52.
Old 10-16-01, 01:25 PM
DVD & Video Game Reviewer

My Best Buy was a ghost town, I just walked in and picked it up with the lucas arts disk. There wasn't even any customers from what I could tell.

Todd
Old 10-16-01, 01:46 PM

I actually went to Best Buy this morning, but not to buy Star Wars(I got it in the mail the other day). I had to go to buy a new washing machine!!! and Ozzy's new CD.

When I was there, it looked a lot of people had bought the Star Wars DVD. They also had that demo CD or whatever it was. There was like 10 copies left.
Old 10-16-01, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Luckily the Target in my area opens two hours before Best Buy. I just walked right in and picked up two copies (one for me one for a friend that bought me the vhs tape). Only problem was they only had full frame of Cats and Dogs (much like everyone else!) I already started a thread about it if anyone finds out anything.

Sam

Forgot to mention that I TOTALLY agree with JimRochester about Shrek surpassing TPM and Snow White!

Last edited by HotThang; 10-16-01 at 02:32 PM.
Old 10-16-01, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by b11051973
I actually went to Best Buy this morning... buy... Ozzy's new CD.
Damn, I knew there was something else I was supposed to pick up.
Old 10-16-01, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

BB in Phoenix had LucasArts CD-Rom but ya had ta ask for it at the counter! I wonder who got the DVD and not the CD-Rom.

Two cardboard displays...one in front and one in the DVD section...and a bunch on the shelf. Seems everyone in the checkout lines had one in their hands.

*cough* *cough* Think I need ta go home sick... Can't wait ta watch it! *sniffle*
Old 10-16-01, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by BassDude
BB in Phoenix had LucasArts CD-Rom but ya had ta ask for it at the counter! I wonder who got the DVD and not the CD-Rom.

Two cardboard displays...one in front and one in the DVD section...and a bunch on the shelf. Seems everyone in the checkout lines had one in their hands.

*cough* *cough* Think I need ta go home sick... Can't wait ta watch it! *sniffle*
if your user name is at all self descriptive, you will LOVE this DVD.

i picked mine up at BB with a $15 gift card that i paid $10 for about a month ago. figured they'd have a display right as i walked in the door...

nope...one small display by the registers (which i missed when i walked in) and one in the back behind the DVDs...

not too crowded...of course, this was around 11:30.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.