DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Old 09-11-17, 10:35 PM   #276
DVD Talk Hero

Re: 2017 NFL Regular Season Thread -- Week 01

Was every veteran sideline reporter not available tonight.

Poor guy.
Old 09-11-17, 10:43 PM   #277
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thanks for the heads up on ESPN's shitty game callers. When the Chiefs are on Monday Night Football, I'll have the tv on mute and listen to the radio coverage.
Old 09-11-17, 10:48 PM   #278
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial View Post
Thanks for the heads up on ESPN's shitty game callers. When the Chiefs are on Monday Night Football, I'll have the tv on mute and listen to the radio coverage.
Remember that this is the "B" team, only used since the regular MNF guys are still in Minnesota covering the first game of the Week 1-only double header

GAME CENTER ID : DECKER 01

I haven't seen Evil Dead 2.....yet.
Old 09-11-17, 10:53 PM   #279
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Even if its the "A" Team, I would rather listen to local coverage.
Old 09-11-17, 11:24 PM   #280
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

24-7 Broncos at the end of 3. I can live with that.

Feels weird rooting against the Chargers, but completely right at the same time.
Old 09-11-17, 11:30 PM   #281
DVD Talk Legend

Wow, the internets are being brutal to that kid. Oh wait, so was I.

I can't find an image, but my favorite has been "ESPN has pulled Sergio Dipp from the air and entered him into the NFL concussion protocol."

Kurtie Dee gets Otter:Think about that: Since you're asking us, you know what you want to do is wrong.
Old 09-11-17, 11:35 PM   #282
DVD Talk God

After reading that kid is non-native English speaker I felt bad making fun of him.
John Henson: McDonald's has dumped Kobe Bryant as their spokesperson and have replaced him with Yao Ming. Apparently McDonald's prefers Yao because he is a bigger international star, and he doesn't rape so much.

"You are everything that's wrong with this forum".---SleepyW
Old 09-11-17, 11:36 PM   #283
DVD Talk Legend

Oh, and this isn't even the "B" team. I don't mind Beth Mowins (maybe I'm used to her from softball games) but the cheap mike observation is valid.

Kurtie Dee gets Otter:Think about that: Since you're asking us, you know what you want to do is wrong.
Old 09-12-17, 12:20 AM   #284
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

While the Chargers did better than I would have liked, it's nice to see another city enjoy some Bolt heartbreak!

Welcome to the wonderful world of the Chargers, Los Angeles!

"The Battle for L.A.," isn't pretty, but the Rams are winning at this point. Right now the Chargers are about the 8th most popular sports team in Los Angeles! Congrats, Dean!!
Old 09-12-17, 12:20 AM   #285
DVD Talk Hero

Nice use of the icing Time Out by Denver. They barely hung on.
Man that broadcast team was terrible. I've always said we should eliminate Thursday Night Football and do Double Headers every Monday night instead, but that shit show is making me rethink it...
Old 09-12-17, 12:22 AM   #286
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by B5Erik View Post
While the Chargers did better than I would have liked, it's nice to see another city enjoy some Bolt heartbreak!

Welcome to the wonderful world of the Chargers, Los Angeles!

"The Battle for L.A.," isn't pretty, but the Rams are winning at this point. Right now the Chargers are about the 8th most popular sports team in Los Angeles! Congrats, Dean!!
More like 9th. The Raiders are way more popular in L. A. Probably the Warriors as well.
Old 09-12-17, 12:29 AM   #287
DVD Talk Legend

Yup, Chargers picking up where they left off last year. Geez.
Old 09-12-17, 12:45 AM   #288
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decker View Post
More like 9th. The Raiders are way more popular in L. A.
It's going to be HILARIOUS when the Raiders play the Chargers in Los Angeles. It will be another home game for the silver and black! Will there be ANY Chargers fans in attendance that day? (At least in San Diego it was 60/40 in favor of the Chargers.)
Old 09-12-17, 01:15 AM   #289
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artman View Post
Appreciate the info, thanks! We'll actually be at the Hilton, so we're on foot for game day! (and we won't be rushed in the morning as we aren't flying until late afternoon)

Looks like Blues Traveler and Everclear are doing a free show Sat night...so we'll check that out and see the Johnsonville Tailgate area.
Would be interested in hearing about your experience in Green Bay/Lambeau if you feel inclined to share.
Old 09-12-17, 07:37 AM   #290
DVD Talk Hero

Old 09-12-17, 09:34 AM   #291
DVD Talk Hero

Even though it was installed in May, Patriots replacing their turf. Players say it's too soft.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/p...oss-to-chiefs/

My So-Called DVD Life (Profiler),A Fistful of Discs (DVDAf)
Old 09-12-17, 08:27 PM   #292
DVD Talk Legend

Are they basing that on the way the balls aren't bouncing off the turf properly? Try putting some air back in the balls.

Old 09-12-17, 11:51 PM   #293
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Needle View Post
Would be interested in hearing about your experience in Green Bay/Lambeau if you feel inclined to share.
Had a great time! It was my first time out to the midwest...and it was really refreshing (literally, the air in the NW has been the worst since I can remember, with all the fires). Just loved the rolling farmland hills, American flags every where. Seeing the old fashioned Churches with cemeteries behind them. Something about the simplicity of it all that really appealed to me.

Made reservations at the 1919 restaurant for Fri evening (Sat was booked) and it didn't disappoint. Nice atmosphere, live music...I had the 1919 burger which was fantastic.

Lambeau - definitely recommend doing the tour in the morning, we did both the tour and Hall of Fame from about 10-12:30, and it definitely was much busier as we were leaving. Tour guide was fantastic. Got to go onto the field and take pics with my Mom and Dad which was what I was hoping for.

Stopped by Krolls - talk about your no frills place, but that's part of the charm! They had the Badgers game going on most of the tv's, we just did some apps and talked with folks at the bar. My parents were iffy on it at first but were positive about it after we left. (It was a little dark and could've been a few degrees cooler)

Night before - bonus concert w Everclear and Blues Traveler... it was just outside the stadium. We checked out the new Johnsonville Tailgate center. Fun time...but wow...they know how to party out there! A lot louder than I've been used to, and no alcohol enforcement that I could see.

Game Day - we walked around the parking lot and sure enough, got invited over by a few folks...offered beers, fresh off the grill eats, etc. Couldn't say enough about the Midwestern Nice, it's the real deal. Fans very hospitable and impressed that we came from Seattle specifically for the game. My Dad relayed his story (probably a dozen times) about being there 52yrs earlier as a child, which went over very well!

Only negatives...the 18inches per person on the benches is tough. You just have to accept that you'll be constantly adjusting your positions with those next to you.

After the Game - even crazier than the night before, we had visited several of the bars previously...but that was simply not going to work that night....much too wild for our taste. The only refuge was the HoF Chophouse - which actually was a very nice way to end the day. If you don't mind a more expensive steakhouse...it's a good way to go.

Heading home - we took the scenic route...we wanted to see Lake Michigan...headed to Kewaunee, which is just due East...and they have a perfect little park/beach there. We ventured through the Point Beach State Forest and into the town of Two Rivers...found a great little pub called Schwarz's. I've never done a restaurant review but I just might for them...wonderful experience there.

So, all in all...a Hawks win would've been a bonus, but that wasn't our main reason for going. We got to do everything I'd planned and hoped we'd be able to. Just wanted to bless my Dad and make that "I'd love to go back there..." bucket list trip become a reality. And we did it. Thanks again for the tips!

Last edited by Artman; 09-13-17 at 12:03 AM.
Old 09-13-17, 12:29 AM   #294
DVD Talk Legend

Nice report, thanks!

In hindsight I wish I had recommended renting the seat backs (many people bring their own). I think they rent for $6 each and even though they don't exactly offer much in the way of lumbar support they can be worth the money just to keep your 18" of seat space sacred. Plus you conveniently just leave them in place when the game is over. Now imagine what it's like when everyone is dressed for below zero temperatures. Better leave your personal space issues outside the stadium.
Old 09-13-17, 01:04 AM   #295
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Needle View Post
Nice report, thanks!

In hindsight I wish I had recommended renting the seat backs (many people bring their own). I think they rent for $6 each and even though they don't exactly offer much in the way of lumbar support they can be worth the money just to keep your 18" of seat space sacred. Plus you conveniently just leave them in place when the game is over. Now imagine what it's like when everyone is dressed for below zero temperatures. Better leave your personal space issues outside the stadium.
Yeah, my Mom did the seat back rental...thankfully we were just two seats from the aisle...but sure enough...two heavier ladies were in those spots, and every time we stood up, they tried to move her seat over. Hey lady, it's not our problem if you can only fit one cheek on the end of the bench! My mom pushed back a bit and the seat helped to maintain the space.

The one negative outburst was from a Hawk gal behind one of those heavier ladies. Ughh... great representation...I would not want to be a visiting fan at a Seahawks game.
Old 09-13-17, 03:44 PM   #296
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abob Teff View Post
Maybe you guys are going to make me feel bad by telling me the kid has special needs, but what the fuck was that?! Did that junior sideline announcer just have a stroke on air? (Chargers/Broncos game)
If you missed it:
Old 09-13-17, 04:50 PM   #297
DVD Talk Hero

Brian Cushing suspended 10 games without pay for using PED's

Sergio Dipp released a statement via Twitter. I feel bad for the guy.

Old 09-13-17, 06:45 PM   #298
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This might be a lost season for the Texans.

Maybe now the Jaguars have a shot to win the AFC South since the Colts suck and the Titans are the only good team left.
Old 09-13-17, 07:09 PM   #299
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenbuzz View Post
If you missed it:
I missed it, and after watching the video I still don't understand what happened or how this video reveals it to me. Are there some encrypted Game of Thrones spoilers in what he said? Can someone please explain this to me as you would to a child?
Old 09-13-17, 07:15 PM   #300
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artman View Post
Yeah, my Mom did the seat back rental...thankfully we were just two seats from the aisle...but sure enough...two heavier ladies were in those spots, and every time we stood up, they tried to move her seat over. Hey lady, it's not our problem if you can only fit one cheek on the end of the bench! My mom pushed back a bit and the seat helped to maintain the space.

The one negative outburst was from a Hawk gal behind one of those heavier ladies. Ughh... great representation...I would not want to be a visiting fan at a Seahawks game.
I like sharing camaraderie with other Hawks fans, but there's a wide variety of us, and some will never be the kind of folks I hang out with.

Thanks for the Lambeau stories!
Challenges: Action 2017 | Academy Award 2017 | TV on DVD* 2017 | Holiday 2016 | Comedy 2016 | Horror 2016 | Criterion 2016 | Animation 2016 | Sci-Fi 2016 | Historical 2016 | Make-Your-Own 2016 | Drive-In 2016 | Leap Day 2016