DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Old 09-04-17, 08:27 AM   #26
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: College Football Week 1, 2017.

For the most part, this is just something that they do in the beginning (mainly the first weekend) of the season, for non-conference games, and a lot of it has come about in the last 10 years or so.

In many cases, these types of games wouldn't happen if they weren't being played at a neutral site, because the two teams involved wouldn't agree to a home and home series. The upper echelon schools generally like to play as many of their non-conference games at home as possible, because they make a shit ton of money from playing home games. When you're trying to schedule another high profile school in a non-conference game, they won't agree to a one off game at your stadium. They want a return game, which means you lose a home game. These neutral site games generally pay the schools MORE than they typically make from a home game, and they don't have to play a return game at the other team's stadium. So it's more attractive to the schools than a home and home series. It's a way to get high profile matchups early in the season that you might not get otherwise.

-----
PSN: CactusKind

Last edited by Obi-Wan Jabroni; 09-04-17 at 08:47 AM.
Old 09-04-17, 08:51 AM   #27
DVD Talk Hero

Man I wish I had watched that UCLA game last night.

In case you missed it on Saturday, UNLV set some College Football history of their own -- They were upset 43-40 at home by Howard University (!) despite being favored by 45 points. It was the biggest upset against the spread in the history of College Football.
Old 09-04-17, 10:24 AM   #28
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni View Post
For the most part, this is just something that they do in the beginning (mainly the first weekend) of the season, for non-conference games, and a lot of it has come about in the last 10 years or so.

In many cases, these types of games wouldn't happen if they weren't being played at a neutral site, because the two teams involved wouldn't agree to a home and home series. The upper echelon schools generally like to play as many of their non-conference games at home as possible, because they make a shit ton of money from playing home games. When you're trying to schedule another high profile school in a non-conference game, they won't agree to a one off game at your stadium. They want a return game, which means you lose a home game. These neutral site games generally pay the schools MORE than they typically make from a home game, and they don't have to play a return game at the other team's stadium. So it's more attractive to the schools than a home and home series. It's a way to get high profile matchups early in the season that you might not get otherwise.
Well put ... I also have to think these higher profile games help with national recruiting. That was one of the reasons Notre Dame gave for doing the Shamrock Series game at a neutral site , plus I am sure the $
Old 09-04-17, 11:20 AM   #29
DVD Talk God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni View Post

Yep, but that's what makes what OSU and OU did for last year/this year great.

I'm ambivalent on college football neutral site games. There are only 12 games in a season, and they typically get strong crowds as such (and works for a Labor Day holiday weekend for travel). But I really don't like them in college hoops outside of the early season tourneys.
"A question for you. Would you rather Bucknell make the NCAA's once every 20 years or so and get ass raped by teams like Kansas in the first round or have them drop down a rung to a confernce where they can compete for a title?"
- Josh Hinkle
1st Round Final Scores: Bucknell 64 Kansas 63 | Bucknell 59 Arkansas 55
Old 09-04-17, 12:03 PM   #30
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I think a side effect of the neutral site games are some better early season games. Before instead of Alabama v Florida State ... you would probably have those teams playing some directional school or bottom feeder in a non Power 5 conference .... maybe not because how the playoff teams are picked now, but I do think it is an incentive for some better week 1 games.