Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

View Poll Results: How many wins for the Dodgers (91-38, on pace for 114)?
117+ 0 0%
116 0 0%
110-115 4 30.77%
105-109 6 46.15%
100-104 3 23.08%
Fewer than 100 0 0%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-31-17, 03:49 PM   #26
DVD Talk God

Re: 2017 MLB Week 22 Aug 27-Sep 3

I wonder if the Dodgers are afraid to face the Dbacks in the playoffs. This is madness.
John Henson: McDonald's has dumped Kobe Bryant as their spokesperson and have replaced him with Yao Ming. Apparently McDonald's prefers Yao because he is a bigger international star, and he doesn't rape so much.

"You are everything that's wrong with this forum".---SleepyW
Old 08-31-17, 05:58 PM   #27
DVD Talk Hero

This is the rare week when I'm kinda happy I can't watch any Dodgers game with my cable service.

GAME CENTER ID : DECKER 01

I haven't seen Evil Dead 2.....yet.
Old 08-31-17, 06:06 PM   #28
DVD Talk God

John Henson: McDonald's has dumped Kobe Bryant as their spokesperson and have replaced him with Yao Ming. Apparently McDonald's prefers Yao because he is a bigger international star, and he doesn't rape so much.

Old 08-31-17, 06:14 PM   #29
DVD Talk God

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidh777 View Post
Both the Mariners and Orioles have a starter capable of throwing a gem, and enough offense to win any single game. That's a great formula for winning a winner-takes-all game, but not for winning a series.

I do agree with dvd-4-life that any team can get hot and make a run, and history has seen a number of unexpected teams make it to the World Series, but the AL WC contenders seem particularly flawed and unlikely to pull it off.
Yeah, this is why, even with that shot of the 2nd wild card, that I thought Duquette did the wrong thing at the main trade deadline. Don't get me wrong -- appreciate that the O's will play meaningful September baseball, but unless you have multiple good starters, it's so hard to win series in October. And the O's starters as a group are still weak. They're still in it because 1) their principal hitters are mashing the ball (like they did in previous years; and Beckham on fire) and 2) the weak state of the A.L.

I view the WC round as like the NCAA play-in games. It's not the real playoffs.

That 2nd WC is fool's gold unless you have the starters to move on if you win.
"A question for you. Would you rather Bucknell make the NCAA's once every 20 years or so and get ass raped by teams like Kansas in the first round or have them drop down a rung to a confernce where they can compete for a title?"
- Josh Hinkle
1st Round Final Scores: Bucknell 64 Kansas 63 | Bucknell 59 Arkansas 55
Old 08-31-17, 09:46 PM   #30

Quote:
Both the Mariners and Orioles have a starter capable of throwing a gem,
Nobody on the Mariners' 25-man roster fits that description. They'll be lucky to get 2 starts out of Paxton the last month.
Old 08-31-17, 10:57 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Dreamer View Post
The first 2 games between the Rangers and Astros in the Suncoast Dome have drawn 3,485 and 6,123.
The Astros will return to Houston and play a doubleheader Saturday vs the Mets.
The Thursday game at the Suncoast Dome drew 3,385. I was surprised Montreal officials offered to host the series. I guess Stade Olympique is no longer hosting refugees.
Old 08-31-17, 11:21 PM   #32
DVD Talk God

Verlander traded to Astros. Damn that team is stacked!

Old 08-31-17, 11:28 PM   #33
DVD Talk Legend

Crazy deadline. All the reports were that the trade was going to happen. Then rumors that Verlander had vetoed it. Then apparently it went through with a minute to spare.

"i 'm new here. most of people in here are good. but there is a miserable person. Look into your mirror. Superboy!" --New Member, robert11
Old 09-01-17, 04:59 AM   #34
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
The Thursday game at the Suncoast Dome drew 3,385. I was surprised Montreal officials offered to host the series. I guess Stade Olympique is no longer hosting refugees.
I think that it's beyond dumb that the Astro's are playing back in Houston this soon after the hurricane.

The flood water has bacteria in it(which is no concern for the Astros ???) and people have to travel to the game plus they need security at the games.

I am not sure about the situation near the ball park but they should be concerned about the surrounding area's.
Old 09-01-17, 08:14 AM   #35
DVD Talk Limited Edition

CC Sabathia was crying because the Red Sox bunted on him. LOL
Old 09-01-17, 10:16 AM   #36
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm so bummed that Verlander was traded... guy was a stud and made baseball fun again in Detroit. I wish him nothing but the best and I'm rooting for the Astros to win it all.

In another note, Justin Upton was traded to the Angels for a bag of balls. Guy is having a helluva year but his atrocious start in 2016 kept him from ever connecting with the fan-base. He's a good player but probably will have a down year after he opts out and cashes in... again.
"Do u know how hard is it to won one oscar award? now ur simply referring him to motherfucker, but he deserve huge respect, even he win nobel prize, there is no surprise in it. first of all learn respect" - Ganesh Ujwal
XBox Live = Stiffy Goat11
Old 09-01-17, 10:29 AM   #37
DVD Talk Hero

John Jay with four hits last night. That guy is a solid pro.

Quote:
Nobody on the Mariners' 25-man roster fits that description. They'll be lucky to get 2 starts out of Paxton the last month.
My point still stands. If the Mariners sneak into the WC game (not looking good at the moment) and Paxton is back, he's capable of winning that game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob V View Post
I'm so bummed that Verlander was traded... guy was a stud and made baseball fun again in Detroit. I wish him nothing but the best and I'm rooting for the Astros to win it all.

In another note, Justin Upton was traded to the Angels for a bag of balls. Guy is having a helluva year but his atrocious start in 2016 kept him from ever connecting with the fan-base. He's a good player but probably will have a down year after he opts out and cashes in... again.
Verlander's exit represents the end of an era for sure, and I would've loved to see him end his career in Detroit, but it makes too much sense for him to go to a contender. Kudos to the Astros for making the move considering they had to give up real prospects, not just take on the salary.

Another former Tiger, Justin Wilson, has had rough stretches with the Cubs, but is starting to turn it around.
Challenges: Action 2017 | Academy Award 2017 | TV on DVD* 2017 | Holiday 2016 | Comedy 2016 | Horror 2016 | Criterion 2016 | Animation 2016 | Sci-Fi 2016 | Historical 2016 | Make-Your-Own 2016 | Drive-In 2016 | Leap Day 2016
Old 09-01-17, 10:46 AM   #38
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Verlander has thrown a lot of pitches.

Let's see if he stays above average for the rest of his pitching career.
Old 09-01-17, 12:41 PM   #39
DVD Talk Legend

all of you complaining about the wild card and how it's fools gold are missing one important detail: it could lead to the Yankees not making the playoffs, and that is always something to celebrate (if it happens, please make it happen).

"we get paid for butt time" - mosquitobite

"It felt much more comfortable when I was trying them on. No sharp edge poking my skin." - Buford T. Pusser
Old 09-01-17, 02:02 PM   #40
DVD Talk Legend

The Astros made the right call by getting Verlander and makes them the favorites in the AL.

The Astros also got Upton in the deal from the Tigers...Kate Upton. She's gotta be worth a couple of WAR by herself.

Over 5000 Blu-rays ranked by pure video quality.
Old 09-01-17, 02:04 PM   #41
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post
The Astros also got Upton in the deal from the Tigers...Kate Upton. She's gotta be worth a couple of WAR by herself.
Her buoyancy will be great help to the people of Houston right now.
Old 09-01-17, 05:15 PM   #42
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Nice win by the Cubs today, Lackey and the pen pitched really well and some nice D

Feeling really good about winning the division now and having a shot to do something in the playoffs

Martin was a decent pickup, they pretty much got him nothing for him .. and even if he keeps not hitting, a decent enough defensive replacement/pinch runner. Maybe he turns it around and has some value next season.
Old 09-01-17, 06:24 PM   #43
DVD Talk Limited Edition

CNN tested the flood water in the Houston area and the results:
animal and human feces
8 times the norm for e-coli bacteria
possible flesh eating bacteria

So go ahead Astros and play those home games .
Old 09-01-17, 06:38 PM   #44
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by LurkerDan View Post
all of you complaining about the wild card and how it's fools gold are missing one important detail: it could lead to the Yankees not making the playoffs, and that is always something to celebrate (if it happens, please make it happen).
Though seriously, I bet all the other playoffs teams would rather see the Orioles in there than the Yankees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearFan View Post
Nice win by the Cubs today, Lackey and the pen pitched really well and some nice D

Feeling really good about winning the division now and having a shot to do something in the playoffs

Martin was a decent pickup, they pretty much got him nothing for him .. and even if he keeps not hitting, a decent enough defensive replacement/pinch runner. Maybe he turns it around and has some value next season.
Always nice to win without having to score 17 runs, and the starters are starting to go 6-7 innings, with Lester coming back too. I am concerned about Russell being out a few more weeks because Baez is their only legit shortstop. I love how he seems to be manufacturing a run every day just with his baserunning.

Martin puzzles me a bit because they have a number of guys who can play center, though perhaps none as well. They might lack organizational depth, though (I don't know because I don't even know who they have anymore ), and maybe he can contribute on the bases. Offhand I don't know how he runs because in Seattle he never got on base.
Challenges: Action 2017 | Academy Award 2017 | TV on DVD* 2017 | Holiday 2016 | Comedy 2016 | Horror 2016 | Criterion 2016 | Animation 2016 | Sci-Fi 2016 | Historical 2016 | Make-Your-Own 2016 | Drive-In 2016 | Leap Day 2016
Old 09-01-17, 06:51 PM   #45
DVD Talk God

Quote:
Doesn't a 2nd WC, let alone one WC, make it more likely that they make the playoffs? Hell, just by simple math?
"A question for you. Would you rather Bucknell make the NCAA's once every 20 years or so and get ass raped by teams like Kansas in the first round or have them drop down a rung to a confernce where they can compete for a title?"
- Josh Hinkle
1st Round Final Scores: Bucknell 64 Kansas 63 | Bucknell 59 Arkansas 55
Old 09-01-17, 11:33 PM   #46
DVD Talk God

8 in a row!

Old 09-02-17, 12:08 AM   #47
DVD Talk Hero

1 in a row!

Kershaw is back!

GAME CENTER ID : DECKER 01

I haven't seen Evil Dead 2.....yet.
Old 09-02-17, 08:37 AM   #48
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Though seriously, I bet all the other playoffs teams would rather see the Orioles in there than the Yankees.

Always nice to win without having to score 17 runs, and the starters are starting to go 6-7 innings, with Lester coming back too. I am concerned about Russell being out a few more weeks because Baez is their only legit shortstop. I love how he seems to be manufacturing a run every day just with his baserunning.

Martin puzzles me a bit because they have a number of guys who can play center, though perhaps none as well. They might lack organizational depth, though (I don't know because I don't even know who they have anymore ), and maybe he can contribute on the bases. Offhand I don't know how he runs because in Seattle he never got on base.
It looks like pretty much a platoon in CF with Jay and Almora ... with occasional Happ ... I guess Martin lets Jay slide to LF late in games, Martin playing CF and Almora can PH against a LH reliever on games where a RHP starts ... plus he can pinch run. He is a good expanded roster player ... he can do a few things well and they only need to use him for those things

Lester is back and on the mound today. Looks like Montgomery is staying in the rotation and they are going with 6 starters down the stretch.
Old 09-02-17, 10:43 AM   #49
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
Doesn't a 2nd WC, let alone one WC, make it more likely that they make the playoffs? Hell, just by simple math?
ok, so it wasn't the most thought out post in my posting history.

But I like the 2 WCs, better than just one, because there is now a real premium for winning the division. And I hate the Yankees.

"we get paid for butt time" - mosquitobite

"It felt much more comfortable when I was trying them on. No sharp edge poking my skin." - Buford T. Pusser
Old 09-02-17, 11:27 AM   #50
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:

But I like the 2 WCs, better than just one, because there is now a real premium for winning the division.
That is the biggest benefit IMO. It puts the WC teams at a big disadvantage, a 1 and done game and even the team that wins probably burns their best starter in that game. Which also makes having the best record in the league be a decent advantage. Much better than before.