DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Old 08-23-17, 11:07 AM   #1
DVD Talk Legend

Little League World Series 2017

I'm running way behind this year. Last year I was laid up and on crutches so I got to consume the whole tournament (and loved it). This year work (and umpiring) has kept me hopping and I haven't been able to watch any games until now. They've all been piling up on my DVR though!

Watching the South Dakota-Australia game from yesterday at the moment, and there have been some strange things happening ... as an umpire you just cringe and hope for these games to end soon.

First, a wild pitch bounces off the TV camera behind the plate and a runner steals home. The plate umpire calls him out on the play, but the first base umpire saw the ball hit the camera -- by rule the ball is out of play and the runner automatically gets home. Good catch by the first base umpire, bad break for Australia. My question is why would Little League put an uncovered hole in the backstop that close to home plate? I had assumed there was netting or plexi over the opening but there is not.

A couple of plays later, the second base umpire calls time during a stalled play. A runner on first steals second, the ball is thrown into centerfield, and the runner advances to third. The ball comes in to one of the infielders and the second base umpire starts to grant time to a player (announcers said the centerfielder). Problem though - the runner had started running again and was in the process of advancing home. None of the other umpires appeared to see the second base umpire call time. Whoops ...

Kurtie Dee gets Otter:Think about that: Since you're asking us, you know what you want to do is wrong.
Old 08-25-17, 11:06 PM   #2
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Little League World Series 2017

Nobody this year? I hate to say this ... but there don't seem to be any "compelling story lines" this year. Not sure if this is because I haven't been able to watch much of it, or if is actually the case.

Just finished the Connecticut/Texas game from yesterday ... ouch. Connecticut just couldn't catch a break. Congrats Texas on a dominant performance!

To address a part of my previous post ... There is a covering over the camera hole, but if the ball hits the covering it is deemed out of play since it progresses past the backstop. This is similar to many of the fields I work at where the ball can hit the front of the dugout roof and come back into play, however the roof is behind the fence so we rule it out of play. A few fields do keep the ball in play as long as it bounces back into play. I get the LLWS rule, but considering the size and location of the openings, it would make more sense to allow that ball to remain live in play.

Kurtie Dee gets Otter:Think about that: Since you're asking us, you know what you want to do is wrong.
Old 08-26-17, 10:56 PM   #3
DVD Talk Legend

No surprise -- hard hitting Texas is the US Champ and is headed to the big game!

Old 08-27-17, 02:23 AM   #4
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abob Teff View Post
No surprise -- hard hitting Texas is the US Champ and is headed to the big game!
Wouldn't NC have been considered a big favorite in this game, considering they only gave up 1 hit at the LLWS coming in (and had a win over Texas)?
Old 08-27-17, 08:53 AM   #5
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, had the Texas/NC game on in the background in my office today and ended up watching the end. Exciting game. I don't think they stand a chance against Japan this year though.
Old 08-27-17, 12:30 PM   #6
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfoobar View Post
Yeah, had the Texas/NC game on in the background in my office today and ended up watching the end. Exciting game. I don't think they stand a chance against Japan this year though.
I'll be happy to be wrong, but I agree about today's game. It seemed like NCs best pitchers weren't available for yesterday. Especially that tall blond kid who was striking out everyone. But now it's just one game ... I guess anything can happen.
Old 08-27-17, 01:19 PM   #7
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainee View Post
I'll be happy to be wrong, but I agree about today's game. It seemed like NCs best pitchers weren't available for yesterday. Especially that tall blond kid who was striking out everyone. But now it's just one game ... I guess anything can happen.
Yup, was rooting for NC because it did seem to be the conventional wisdom that NC pitching had the better chance to win this afternoon.
Old 08-27-17, 01:41 PM   #8
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainee View Post
Wouldn't NC have been considered a big favorite in this game, considering they only gave up 1 hit at the LLWS coming in (and had a win over Texas)?
I told you I haven't been able to watch much of it yet ... I hadn't even seen NC play.

Old 08-27-17, 02:26 PM   #9
DVD Talk Hero

Just remembered it was on. Promising start, much better than the start that Mexico got anyway.
Old 08-27-17, 03:47 PM   #10
DVD Talk Hero

And with that, things starting to look pretty grim for Texas.
Old 08-27-17, 06:50 PM   #11
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Oof. It doesn't get much worse than a "mercy rule" defeat.
Old 08-28-17, 12:00 AM   #12

Congrats to Japan
Old 08-28-17, 02:14 PM   #13
DVD Talk Legend

That Japanese team has won four different LLWS championships, including three in the last six years. They are the Yankees of LL baseball.

Over 5000 Blu-rays ranked by pure video quality.