Aaron Judge, Yankees 1 11.11%
Chris Sale, Red Sox 2 22.22%
Mike Trout, Angels 0 0%
Other 0 0%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-20-17, 06:18 PM   #26
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: 2017 MLB Week 20 Aug 14-20

Yeah, weird game .. 2 guys get on base on strikeouts, a bad throw back to the pitcher ...

A win is a win .. I'll take it
Old 08-20-17, 11:49 PM   #27
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Didn't' know this until I read it on ESPN, but the Cubs victory today is the first time this season that a team down multiple runs in extra innings has come back to win the game.
Old 08-21-17, 12:44 AM   #28
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearFan View Post
Yeah, weird game .. 2 guys get on base on strikeouts, a bad throw back to the pitcher ...

A win is a win .. I'll take it

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCChiCubsFan View Post
Didn't' know this until I read it on ESPN, but the Cubs victory today is the first time this season that a team down multiple runs in extra innings has come back to win the game.
That's funny. Obviously extra innings are rare enough, and it's tough to come back in one inning, but you figure someone might have scored two to tie then won it later.
Challenges: Action 2017 | Academy Award 2017 | TV on DVD* 2017 | Holiday 2016 | Comedy 2016 | Horror 2016 | Criterion 2016 | Animation 2016 | Sci-Fi 2016 | Historical 2016 | Make-Your-Own 2016 | Drive-In 2016 | Leap Day 2016
Old 08-23-17, 11:21 AM   #29
DVD Talk Legend

Sorry to bump last week's thread, but I wanted to post an update on "The Matheny Effect."

It wasn't my game where this happened, but my partner for a softball game yesterday shared this story from a game last week ...

The parents during the game were being a bit shitty (a couple are notorious for that already). At one point the girl batting starts to swing well before the pitch arrives at the plate, recovers, and swings a second time when the ball does arrive. Odd, but this is middle school softball. She turns to the umpire (my partner yesterday) and says "I saw two balls." Concerned about an injury (concussion, dehydration, etc.) the umpire stops the game to talk to the girl to see if she is OK.

During this brief pause, the catcher says "yeah, I had a hard time catching that one." Really odd ... turns out there was a group of kids playing soccer beyond centerfield with a soccer ball that was similar in color to the softball and it was throwing the players off. This is a safety concern. The plate umpire gets with the base umpire and they go out to centerfield to ask the soccer players to move. The soccer players apologize and move with no incident ... until the plate umpire returns to resume play.

As he comes back to position, one of the parents (who was already acting like an ass because he didn't know the rule on a previous play) yells "Let's get the show on the road. Nobody came to watch you guys so stop making this about you!" The parent continued to verbally attack the umpires for another inning before one of them finally had enough of it and eject him.

Ladies and gentlemen, I present "The Matheny Effect."

Kurtie Dee gets Otter:Think about that: Since you're asking us, you know what you want to do is wrong.
Old 08-23-17, 11:33 AM   #30
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardsfan111 View Post
I've been following baseball for 35+ years and I've never seen an umpire call time in that situation. Not on his own. Nearly 100% of the time, he does so at the request of the batter. And the only other times have been because someone or something entered the field of play.

You're correct in saying the anger from the Cards was due to a build-up of frustration. This umpire was horrible last night. Advanced stats showed he missed 25 ball/strike calls (or 14% of them), if I read correctly. I can see how some might see Matheny's behavior as hypocritical based on what you described. However, I had no issue with his "antics" last night. It was obvious he was protecting Molina and was going to get tossed the moment he stepped out of the dugout to argue. But this particular umpire was deserving of every bit of criticism.
Since I'm bumping, thought I'd respond to this. I'll bet you probably have seen it happen, you just didn't realize it because a big deal wasn't made out of it.

I agree with you about his motives -- he wasn't arguing that call, protecting Molina, etc. I also understand that is "part of his job" in some regards. My point is that players and coaches who do this, particularly at the professional level, are just as much a part of the problem as the umpires who are blowing calls. They are perpetuating this sentiment that it is OK to attack people because they make a mistake or because you don't like the outcome.

I'm not saying Matheny shouldn't have gone to the mattresses, I'm saying he should have included something in his post-game comments apologizing for his behavior (particularly based on his "platform" of The Manifesto).

As for the umpires, I'm not sure what the deal is. I've seen the stats (estimating MLB umpires miss 10% of strike calls on average this year) but I would like to see them compared to a historical analysis. Maybe MLB is promoting the wrong guys or promoting them too quickly (I've noticed lots of young umpires). Maybe there really isn't anything different except modern scrutiny (replay, internet, 24 hour news channels).

I do laugh when I hear about the MLBPA pushing for automated balls and strikes calls though. Guys who fail 75% of the time for a living (batting averages hover around .250 or less for average players) complain about guys who get it right 90% of the time.

I have an assignor who says "officiating it is the only job where everybody expects you to be perfect the instant you start and then get better as you go."

Kurtie Dee gets Otter:Think about that: Since you're asking us, you know what you want to do is wrong.
Old 08-23-17, 09:10 PM   #31
DVD Talk Hero

It sometimes seems like the Dodgers refuse to lose this year, and yet somehow lose a game where their starting pitcher gives up no hits, no walks and no runs through 9. You're supposed to win that one.