DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Old 09-08-17, 07:31 AM   #76
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: Fantasy Football Talk 2017

Well, obviously it would have been great if I had started Hunt, but it's great knowing he's legit and was a great pick (took him prior to the Ware injury). I still like my chances this weekend. Crowell and McCafferey have good matchups.

I love my RB group for my friends league. Kareem Hunt, Isaiah Crowell, Christian McCafferey, Joe Mixon, D'Onta Foreman. PPR too, which boosts the value of all of them except Crowell.

Michael Thomas and Mike Evans are my starting WRs on that team too...

League title (and first place prize money) here I come!
Old 09-08-17, 09:27 AM   #77
DVD Talk Hero

Fortunately for me, I had to start Hunt because Rob Kelley was my best alternative. He's a pretty good third RB, but I was hopeful for Hunt despite the matchup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainee View Post
I think I joined too many leagues. It seems like I either have or am playing against everyone Though that kind of makes me approach the lineups logically, and then maybe be able to just sit back and enjoy the games (and whatever happens, happens).
I find it less stressful to not have all my eggs in one basket. I don't take wins or losses as seriously. I'm in "only" three leagues this year after a couple of mine have vanished in the last couple years.
Challenges: Action 2017 | Academy Award 2017 | TV on DVD* 2017 | Holiday 2016 | Comedy 2016 | Horror 2016 | Criterion 2016 | Animation 2016 | Sci-Fi 2016 | Historical 2016 | Make-Your-Own 2016 | Drive-In 2016 | Leap Day 2016
Old 09-08-17, 10:48 AM   #78
DVD Talk Legend

I'm kinda surprised so many teams sat Hunt. I mean sure he's a rookie going against NE on day one (plus he fumbled the first carry of the game) but regardless of where you drafted him early on, he was going as a fourth round talent at the latest, and unlike most of the other rookies (and even a lot of the veterans) he was clearly the starter on a team that loves to find space to run the ball. Unless you're rolling with Leveon/David Johnson and Elliot, I'd say roll him out there every time, if only as a flex (in normal leagues where you start two RBs of course).

That doesn't mean I wasn't nervously pulling out my hair when he fumbled on his first carry, or when Reid insisted on using Hill and Kelce as running backs. The only reason he got that short pass for a TD was because Reid drew up some trick play that backed them up, because they were on the one yard line and Hunt wasn't even in there. He won't be this good all year (nor should Gillislee or Alex Smith) of course.
Old 09-08-17, 11:23 AM   #79
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
I'm kinda surprised so many teams sat Hunt. I mean sure he's a rookie going against NE on day one (plus he fumbled the first carry of the game) but regardless of where you drafted him early on, he was going as a fourth round talent at the latest, and unlike most of the other rookies (and even a lot of the veterans) he was clearly the starter on a team that loves to find space to run the ball. Unless you're rolling with Leveon/David Johnson and Elliot, I'd say roll him out there every time, if only as a flex (in normal leagues where you start two RBs of course).

That doesn't mean I wasn't nervously pulling out my hair when he fumbled on his first carry, or when Reid insisted on using Hill and Kelce as running backs. The only reason he got that short pass for a TD was because Reid drew up some trick play that backed them up, because they were on the one yard line and Hunt wasn't even in there. He won't be this good all year (nor should Gillislee or Alex Smith) of course.
That's exactly where I drafted him, 4.9, and ESPN had only one RB rated ahead of him at the time. Now if our league didn't have six-point passing TDs, maybe I don't take Brees at 3.4 (Rodgers went 1.10 and Brady 3.1) and go for Zeke there (Zeke ended up 4.2, followed by AP 4.3, Beast Mode 4.4, Hyde 4.6, Crowell 4.7, Hunt, then Montgomery and Cook at the top of round 5).

Obviously I'm not expecting the same level of production throughout the year because he won't be playing against the Patriots every week.
Challenges: Action 2017 | Academy Award 2017 | TV on DVD* 2017 | Holiday 2016 | Comedy 2016 | Horror 2016 | Criterion 2016 | Animation 2016 | Sci-Fi 2016 | Historical 2016 | Make-Your-Own 2016 | Drive-In 2016 | Leap Day 2016
Old 09-08-17, 11:46 AM   #80
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainee View Post
I can blame the interface too. I was co-drafting with a friend on speakerphone (who had done even less research than me). And to avoid confusion, I told him that he's doing all the button pushing for selections. Rounds 1 and 2 were the keepers (that's how ESPN does it) and round 3 was Zeke, who I put in the queue. For round 4, we were debating between Kareem Hunt (who was my preference), Tom Brady (who I never had on a fantasy team before, and was tempting), or Devante Parker (who I thought was best WR available). And just before time for the pick ran out I see the message: "You have selected Keenan Allen".
I hope this mistake doesn't haunt me for the entire season

I did had one draft where I had complete control over all picks and no technical problems, and I was able to get Kareem Hunt
Old 09-08-17, 12:18 PM   #81
DVD Talk God

Quote:
Originally Posted by fujishig View Post

In the league I sat him, I have Freeman, Cook, CJ Anderson and him. It is also PPR, so my flex is a WR. I chose Cook and Freeman.
John Henson: McDonald's has dumped Kobe Bryant as their spokesperson and have replaced him with Yao Ming. Apparently McDonald's prefers Yao because he is a bigger international star, and he doesn't rape so much.

"You are everything that's wrong with this forum".---SleepyW
Old 09-08-17, 04:08 PM   #82
DVD Talk Hero

Hunt's yards from scrimmage were the most ever in a debut game, topping Anquan Boldin's 217 yards in 2003. I remember winning that waiver-wire scramble. You always figure the guy is never going to repeat it, and might be a one-game flash in the pan, but you have to take the shot anyway just in case he isn't.
Old 09-08-17, 04:13 PM   #83
DVD Talk God

Some guy in the league I run had Hunt and Hill in a PPR. Yikes. Fortunately, not playing him.

In my other league, a great week to go against the Golden Boy.
"A question for you. Would you rather Bucknell make the NCAA's once every 20 years or so and get ass raped by teams like Kansas in the first round or have them drop down a rung to a confernce where they can compete for a title?"
- Josh Hinkle
1st Round Final Scores: Bucknell 64 Kansas 63 | Bucknell 59 Arkansas 55
Old 09-09-17, 10:50 AM   #84
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I'm having trouble deciding who to start in my work TD league. Who do you all think is most likely to score a touchdown this weekend: Eric Decker vs Oakland, Greg Olsen vs San Francisco, or Kyle Rudolph vs New Orleans? I'm leaning towards Olsen right now.
Old 09-09-17, 12:36 PM   #85
DVD Talk God

Olsen, the probably Rudolph
John Henson: McDonald's has dumped Kobe Bryant as their spokesperson and have replaced him with Yao Ming. Apparently McDonald's prefers Yao because he is a bigger international star, and he doesn't rape so much.

Old 09-10-17, 09:08 AM   #86
DVD Talk Legend

When are they going to announce whether OBJ plays or not especially since the game is tonight? Right now I have him on my bench.
Old 09-10-17, 10:22 AM   #87
DVD Talk God

Quote:
Originally Posted by LorenzoL View Post
When are they going to announce whether OBJ plays or not especially since the game is tonight? Right now I have him on my bench.
Probably right before the active/inactive declaration - which should be around 6-ish.

I have him in my lineup now, but have Beasley in reserve if need be.

So if you have no other SNF/MNF options, probably should sit him.
"A question for you. Would you rather Bucknell make the NCAA's once every 20 years or so and get ass raped by teams like Kansas in the first round or have them drop down a rung to a confernce where they can compete for a title?"
- Josh Hinkle
1st Round Final Scores: Bucknell 64 Kansas 63 | Bucknell 59 Arkansas 55
Old 09-10-17, 11:09 AM   #88
DVD Talk God

Shefter said a source said (paraphrasing) OBJ playing is about a likely as taking a vacation to Cuba next month.

Old 09-10-17, 11:29 AM   #89
DVD Talk Legend

I'll have OBJ on the bench then. Thanks!
Old 09-10-17, 11:48 AM   #90
DVD Talk Hero

TJ Yeldon being ruled out and eligible for my IR slot saves me the trouble of releasing him for now.
Old 09-10-17, 11:49 AM   #91
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwhy? View Post
I'm having trouble deciding who to start in my work TD league. Who do you all think is most likely to score a touchdown this weekend: Eric Decker vs Oakland, Greg Olsen vs San Francisco, or Kyle Rudolph vs New Orleans? I'm leaning towards Olsen right now.
I'd guess Olsen scores twice against the 49ers.
Old 09-10-17, 11:53 AM   #92
DVD Talk God

This is from Glazer re: OBJ:

Quote:
Beckham didn't think he'd go earlier in the week, then started running some late in wk, gonna be how he feels in pregame warmups but team concerned he rolls ankle again. Any other game I think he sits, but adrenaline could get him through it later

Old 09-10-17, 01:45 PM   #93
DVD Talk Legend

Problem is even if he's active how much does he play?
Old 09-10-17, 02:38 PM   #94
DVD Talk Limited Edition

So I have OBJ. Assuming he's out, should I sub in...

Jason Witten
Paul Perkins
Shane Vereen

It's a PPR league, and I've got OBJ in a flex spot so I can have some flexibility for the sub.

Winner! James Bond 007 Sheep game 8/26/16
Old 09-10-17, 03:32 PM   #95
DVD Talk Legend

Any other CBS users out there -- is your app running ungodly slow and not updating?

I've never been a fan of CBS Fantasy, but it's what my league has always used.

Kurtie Dee gets Otter:Think about that: Since you're asking us, you know what you want to do is wrong.
Old 09-10-17, 03:35 PM   #96
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyp007 View Post
So I have OBJ. Assuming he's out, should I sub in...

Jason Witten
Paul Perkins
Shane Vereen

It's a PPR league, and I've got OBJ in a flex spot so I can have some flexibility for the sub.
Matchups aren't good for any of those. I'd say Perkins though as he's likely to get the most work.

Witten could have some upside for TD potential and usually fares well against the Giants, but he has been slowing down over the last few years and the Cowboys offense has a different look from his heyday.

Kurtie Dee gets Otter:Think about that: Since you're asking us, you know what you want to do is wrong.
Old 09-10-17, 03:49 PM   #97
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abob Teff View Post
Any other CBS users out there -- is your app running ungodly slow and not updating?

My league used CBS for 20 years but we've been inactive the last couple years, and the cost was a factor so next year I'm going to suggest switching to a free service in hopes that will get us back up and running.

I don't recall performance issues but that was a while ago. I did like reading the columns and stuff.
Old 09-10-17, 04:04 PM   #98
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abob Teff View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidh777 View Post
My league used CBS for 20 years but we've been inactive the last couple years, and the cost was a factor so next year I'm going to suggest switching to a free service in hopes that will get us back up and running.

I don't recall performance issues but that was a while ago. I did like reading the columns and stuff.
We used CBS for a couple of years when they first came out, one year was free and the second year, we actually paid but we switched as soon as ESPN came out with their free service. Might as well keep the money and use it as a prize instead paying CBS.

I just want to know what does CBS offers, which the free services don't? We are perfectly happy with ESPN even with their shortcomings but their app has been getting better every year and as an Insider subscriber, I use the offline Draft app for our yearly draft.
Old 09-10-17, 04:22 PM   #99
DVD Talk Legend

I was going to say, what exactly are you paying CBS for?

Last edited by fujishig; 09-10-17 at 04:31 PM.
Old 09-10-17, 04:28 PM   #100
DVD Talk Hero

For our league, we had many years of legacy data in there that was kind of fun to refer to. But it's better to have a league than a legacy.