Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Old 09-04-17, 07:17 PM   #26
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Fantasy Football Talk 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainee View Post
Yesterday I was browsing through ESPN's fantasy room, and clearly I wasn't understanding what I was doing. Because I log into ESPN today and it says I'm a member of 2 public leagues I never even heard of (with completely autodrafted teams from something like 3 in the morning) I guess for 2 leagues, that terrible deadbeat manager who autodrafts and then never does a damn thing all season ... is going to be me
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidh777 View Post
Deadbeat!
BTW, I'll probably cave in and at least spend a minute a week setting lineups for those teams. Because it really does when a manager does that. Watch me do better in those leagues than the one I'm trying in Though one was PPR and ESPN's default rankings most certainly didn't take that into account, so that team really sucks. Though if these leagues are like the last time I played in a public league, half of the team's are going to be deadbeat anyway.
Old 09-04-17, 07:25 PM   #27
DVD Talk Hero

I'm trying mock drafts now, and there's one tab for mock drafts and one for live, which makes me wonder if you clicked on the latter.
Challenges: Action 2017 | Academy Award 2017 | TV on DVD* 2017 | Holiday 2016 | Comedy 2016 | Horror 2016 | Criterion 2016 | Animation 2016 | Sci-Fi 2016 | Historical 2016 | Make-Your-Own 2016 | Drive-In 2016 | Leap Day 2016
Old 09-04-17, 09:28 PM   #28
DVD Talk Legend

Am I dreaming, or did Yahoo used to send out reminders about draft day/time? I completely just missed a draft that was scheduled weeks ago. Nice that none of my buddies would text/call me when I didn't show up.

I did get an e-mail from Yahoo with a draft report card as soon as it was over. Thanks for nothing, Yahoo. I looked over the draft results and see where I drafted a kicker several rounds before everyone else. Sigh. Going to be an uphill battle in this league.

"i 'm new here. most of people in here are good. but there is a miserable person. Look into your mirror. Superboy!" --New Member, robert11
Old 09-04-17, 09:45 PM   #29
DVD Talk Limited Edition

So what grade did you (autodraft) get?
Old 09-04-17, 10:30 PM   #30
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
So what grade did you (autodraft) get?
I got a "C" - the lowest grade given to anyone in our league.

And the Yahoo report card just loves to pour salt in the wound with gems like this in the summary:

Quote:
Cardsfan111 might as well have been blindly heaving darts at the draft board to decide their picks. Opponents are going to enjoy beating this team, which is projected to finish 11th

"i 'm new here. most of people in here are good. but there is a miserable person. Look into your mirror. Superboy!" --New Member, robert11
Old 09-05-17, 01:51 PM   #31
DVD Talk Legend

If you have and Dolphins or Buccaneers, you may want to read this:

Linky: http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/m...905-story.html

tl;dr = Hurricane Irma may hit South Florida on Saturday/Sunday. The [email protected] game may be moved up a couple of days (Thursday/Friday), it may be kept on Sunday but moved to an entirely new location, or it may be postponed to be played in Week 11 when both teams have their bye.

I think the Week 11 option is most likely. MIA has already lost 1 home game this year to London, I don't see the team being okay moving their home opener to a neutral site. And if given the choice of playing 2-3 days earlier OR playing 10 weeks later, I feel that the league will opt to postpone.
Old 09-05-17, 02:02 PM   #32
DVD Talk Hero

My last draft is tonight, and in my mocks I usually take OBJ at #4. On the swing, I've been passing on Baldwin and Dez and going for Leonard Fournette, which probably means he'll put up numbers like TJ Yeldon. Ajayi, Hunt, and Crowell are also around that area. Mixon is often available in the next round.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardsfan111 View Post
I got a "C" - the lowest grade given to anyone in our league.

And the Yahoo report card just loves to pour salt in the wound with gems like this in the summary:

Considering they auto-drafted based on their rankings, shouldn't they have given that grade to themselves?
Challenges: Action 2017 | Academy Award 2017 | TV on DVD* 2017 | Holiday 2016 | Comedy 2016 | Horror 2016 | Criterion 2016 | Animation 2016 | Sci-Fi 2016 | Historical 2016 | Make-Your-Own 2016 | Drive-In 2016 | Leap Day 2016
Old 09-05-17, 02:18 PM   #33
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidh777 View Post

Considering they auto-drafted based on their rankings, shouldn't they have given that grade to themselves?
Exactly. I was actually shocked at the grade. We had a guy that has missed drafts before and knew ahead of time that he'd have an auto-drafted team. And of course, Yahoo would always give him an "A" ranking since he was picking the highest ranked Yahoo player each time.

Old 09-05-17, 03:38 PM   #34
DVD Talk Hero

The auto-draft era has really lowered the bar of entry for fantasy football, and that's a good thing, even though I've always been one of the nerdy ones. Assuming, of course, that people stay at least somewhat engaged in managing their teams.
Old 09-05-17, 04:05 PM   #35
DVD Talk Legend

The main ways autodraft screws you over is on recently injured players and not being able to pick up players that are on the rise (usually because of those injuries). Yahoo grades always lambasted me this year for picking up Hunt way before his ADP. And everyone will just avoid Edelman and Ware but you know the autodrafter is going to eventually pick them up. Well, that plus drafting a kicker/defense early and drafting two of each.

Otherwise, it's all a crapshoot anyway so going by their "experts" is just as good as going by your gut, especially when you have an irrational love of certain players.
Old 09-05-17, 04:26 PM   #36
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
The main ways autodraft screws you over is on recently injured players and not being able to pick up players that are on the rise (usually because of those injuries). Yahoo grades always lambasted me this year for picking up Hunt way before his ADP. And everyone will just avoid Edelman and Ware but you know the autodrafter is going to eventually pick them up. Well, that plus drafting a kicker/defense early and drafting two of each.

Otherwise, it's all a crapshoot anyway so going by their "experts" is just as good as going by your gut, especially when you have an irrational love of certain players.
I have autodrafted on numerous occasions and always did fine. But you have to put those IR players on the "do not draft" list (I would also put all kickers and defenses on it too).

Generally, to the extent it's not luck, you win or lose FFB based on in-season management, unless your draft was total shit.

"we get paid for butt time" - mosquitobite

"It felt much more comfortable when I was trying them on. No sharp edge poking my skin." - Buford T. Pusser
Old 09-05-17, 07:27 PM   #37
DVD Talk Legend

Our league is a 12 team PPR with standard scoring along with yardage bonus. The draft was held this past Friday and I'm not really happy how it turned out...

Here is my team:
OBJ (7)
J. Howard (18)
Gurley (31)
A. Jeffery (42)
J. Landry (55)
C. Newton (66)
D. Jackson (79)
Z. Ertz (90)
K. Cousins (103)
Cardinals D (114)
M. Prater (127)
S. Perine (138) *
C. Samuels (151) *
J. Ross (162) *

I already dropped Perine, Samuels and Ross for J. Stewart, K. Wright and T. West.
Old 09-05-17, 08:55 PM   #38
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by fujishig View Post

I have a funny/sad autodraft story to share. I was itching for another league I got into a 10 team PPR league on ESPN that had a draft last night. I got slot 10, which meant I had back-to-back picks with 18 long selections in between. I had the ESPN draft window open on my computer, along with another window with a rankings list I liked. When it got to my turn at picks 10 and 11, I couldn't select anything! I closed the draft window, immediately reopened it, and I could make selections. But by that time, ESPN autodrafted my first two picks (Michael Thomas and Mike Evans ... ok picks, but I was planning on taking Evans and Melvin Gordon to get a top receiving RB early).

Then I had the long wait until my selections at 30 and 31 overall. I didn't want to torture myself watching all the other selections so I was browsing another web page, periodically making sure I wasn't having the selection problem. Everything seemed to be going fine until it was my turn ... then my draft window froze again I had no choice but to close and reopen, and by that time autodraft made 2 more selections for me. And it must've thought I hated RBs, since it gave me Travis Kelce and Aaron Rodgers (who did happen to be at the top of the default rankings at that time). I don't get to pick again until selections 50 and 51. And the pickings for RB are even slimmer than normal since there was a run on backup RBs. Now I'm too scared to leave the draft screen, and don't have any more selection problems. But my draft feels ruined at that point. In a 10-team PPR league, my starting RBs are Bilal Powell and CJ Anderson (who may be ok if I'm lucky, but are extraordinarily weak compared to everyone else). And the 4 RBs on my bench are all backups (TColeman, Henry, James White, McFadden).

I guess with ESPN drafts if I want to browse anything else I better use a tablet or a laptop. I've never had this problem before, but now I'll be scared it'll happen again (and ruin a key pick).
Old 09-05-17, 09:06 PM   #39
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by LorenzoL View Post
Our league is a 12 team PPR with standard scoring along with yardage bonus. The draft was held this past Friday and I'm not really happy how it turned out...

Here is my team:
OBJ (7)
J. Howard (18)
Gurley (31)
A. Jeffery (42)
J. Landry (55)
C. Newton (66)
D. Jackson (79)
Z. Ertz (90)
K. Cousins (103)
Cardinals D (114)
M. Prater (127)
S. Perine (138) *
C. Samuels (151) *
J. Ross (162) *

I already dropped Perine, Samuels and Ross for J. Stewart, K. Wright and T. West.
Wow on T West and Stewart (who are atop their team's depth chart at RB) not even being drafted in a 12 team league.

That seems ok to me. Especially the first 4 rounds, where it looks like you got good value at all selections. That's earlier for Cam than I've seen in other drafts. This year, it seems like there's lot of QB value waiting later. And I'm never a fan of taking kickers and defenses before last 2 rounds. The biggest problem was RB depth, but you addressed that nicely with picking up West and Stewart. West in particular could be really good for his draft position.
Old 09-05-17, 10:26 PM   #40
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Wow on T West and Stewart (who are atop their team's depth chart at RB) not even being drafted in a 12 team league.

That seems ok to me. Especially the first 4 rounds, where it looks like you got good value at all selections. That's earlier for Cam than I've seen in other drafts. This year, it seems like there's lot of QB value waiting later. And I'm never a fan of taking kickers and defenses before last 2 rounds. The biggest problem was RB depth, but you addressed that nicely with picking up West and Stewart. West in particular could be really good for his draft position.
I'd guess that West and Stewart were drafted but dropped by clueless owners?

And wow, brainee, your first RB at the bottom of the fifth? Granted it's a 10 teamer but geez. At least it's PPR.
Old 09-06-17, 09:08 AM   #41
DVD Talk Legend

Bucs-Fins has been postponed to Week 11. Tampa and Miami are now on BYE this week.

Owners of Jay Ajayi (me) and Jameis Winston (me) need to adjust their lineups pronto.
Old 09-06-17, 09:35 AM   #42
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Damn, so Tampa and Miami are going to play 16 straight games...yikes.
Old 09-06-17, 09:40 AM   #43
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I was out last night and completely forgot about a draft I had with coworkers, so my entire team was auto picked...I hate being that guy. It's not as bad as I thought it would be.

QB Wilson, Rivers
RB Ajayi, Freeman, Gillislee
WR Pryor Sr, Hilton, Crabtree, Cobb, Wallace
TE Walker, Doyle
K Gostkowski
D/ST SEA, LAR

Already put in a claim for Frank Gore for Randall Cobb. I definitely would not have drafted 2 D/STs or a Gostkowski (he always gets drafted too early). The other auto picks are fine. Shocked I didn't get stuck with someone out for the year like Ware or Edelman.

I think I can work with this team.
Old 09-06-17, 10:30 AM   #44
DVD Talk Hero

I had my main draft last night with some of my closest friends (now that my 20-year league has gone AWOL for a second straight year--I admit I didn't inquire this year as I could have, and probably should propose moving to a free service since we've been on CBS forever, and expenses make it harder to recruit owners). It's generally a pretty good league though we have a few who will make silly homer picks (like the local defense in the fifth round), and we had only three auto-drafters out of 12. Someone named Glenn Gronkowski was accidentally drafted in the fourth round.

I was fourth of 12, and this league has six-point passing TDs (which we keep trying to change). I'm pretty pleased with it overall. I got Brown after Julio went third, and Howard dropped to me in round 2. I did land Kareem Hunt, but missed on Mixon. Because of the TDs, I went for Brees in the third and wondered if it was too early, but then Ryan, Cousins, Cam, and Dak went later in the round (Rodgers and Brady went earlier). I don't have much depth at RB, and my WRs are risky.

QB: Drew Brees (3.4), Jameis Winston (9.4)
RB: Jordan Howard (2.9), Kareem Hunt (4.9), Rob Kelley (7.4), Thomas Rawls (10.9), Marlon Mack (15.4)
WR: Antonio Brown (1.4), Keenan Allen (5.4), Kelvin Benjamin (6.9), Allen Robinson (8.9), Josh Doctson (14.9)
TE: Hunter Henry (11.4), Eric Ebron (13.4)
D: Carolina (12.4)
K: Caleb Sturgis (16.9)

After the draft, I decided to check my other two teams (one auto-drafted, one drafted while distracted and got auto-drafted a kicker and defense in the middle rounds when I had to step out). What a mess! I knew I had Cameron Meredith but had never gotten around to dropping him, and I also had flyer guys like Tyler Lockett, Chris Carson, John Ross, and Breshard Perriman--it's not bad to roster those guys, but not all on the same team. I had to pick up Josh Doctson just so I could fill out a starting lineup until I realized that Zeke might play this week, which made me feel a little better.

My ESPN auto-drafted league was a little better, but I got WRs with my first three picks (Julio, Baldwin, Demaryius), so Hyde, Woodhead, and Ingram are my top backs. Interestingly it gave me only one each of QB/TE/D/K, which I guess is better than multiples of some of those, so I have a bench full of random RB/WRs.

Last edited by davidh777; 09-08-17 at 11:24 AM.
Old 09-06-17, 11:23 AM   #45
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenbuzz View Post
Bucs-Fins has been postponed to Week 11. Tampa and Miami are now on BYE this week.

Owners of Jay Ajayi (me) and Jameis Winston (me) need to adjust their lineups pronto.
Yikes that screws me over big time. This also means we won't see Doug Martin for an extra week.

At least Elliot will get a game in.

Last edited by fujishig; 09-06-17 at 11:42 AM.
Old 09-06-17, 04:12 PM   #46
DVD Talk God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osiris3657 View Post
Damn, so Tampa and Miami are going to play 16 straight games...yikes.
At least 6 teams won't be on bye in Wk 11. Helps that I only have 1 Buc/Fin to worry about and wasn't planning on starting him anyhow.
"A question for you. Would you rather Bucknell make the NCAA's once every 20 years or so and get ass raped by teams like Kansas in the first round or have them drop down a rung to a confernce where they can compete for a title?"
- Josh Hinkle
1st Round Final Scores: Bucknell 64 Kansas 63 | Bucknell 59 Arkansas 55
Old 09-06-17, 07:58 PM   #47
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Alot of my teams are built around Mike Evans. Hope this 16 week straight schedule doesn't wear him out and he has nothing left during the fantasy playoffs.
Old 09-07-17, 07:47 AM   #48

Had my 3 drafts. Here's what I ended up with. All leagues are ppr
Team 1
QB: Cam Newton
RB: Devonta Freeman
RB: Dalvin Cook
WR: Michael Thomas
WR: AllenRobinson
TE: Greg Olson
FLEX: Rishard Matthews
DEF: Texans
K: Caleb Sturgis

Bench
Marcus Mariota, Thomas Rawles, Eddie Lacy, Legarette Blount, Kenny Stills, Cooper Kupp, Austin Hooper, Ryan Succop, & Falcons def

Team 2
QB: Jameis Winston
RB: Devonta Freeman
RB: Jordan Howard
WR: Stefon Diggs
WR: Jarvis Landry
TE: Zach Ertz
FLEX: Christian McCaffrey
DEF: Rams
K: Justin Tucker
Bench
Sam Bradford, Tarik Cohen, Samajae Perrine, Willie Snead, John Brown, cooper Kupp, Mack Holins, Chiefs, & Eagles

Team 3 (10 team league)
QB Marcus Mariota
RB Melvin Gordon
RB Kareem Hunt
WR AJ Green
WR DeAndre Hopkins
TE Zach Ertz
FLEX America Abdullah
DEF Rams
K Justin Tucker
Bench
Matt Stanford, Doug Martin,Thomas Rawles, Allen Robinson,Devante Adams, Willie Snead, & Cooper Kupp
Old 09-07-17, 08:17 AM   #49
DVD Talk Legend

I think you're kinda screwed in your 10 teamer, I've don't even think America Abdullah, Matt Stanford, Thomas Rawles or Devante Adams are in the NFL...

I have a hard time sometimes switching between my 10 team, 12 team, and 14 team leagues, if only because of the talent disparity. I think I once did an 8 team league, which was ridiculous because everyone was stacked.

I'm really hoping Kareem Hunt does well today and it's not the dreaded RBBC. That's probably the biggest "gamble" I took in multiple leagues this year, because I drafted after the Ware injury. I actually regret missing him with my 3rd round pick in the DVDtalk All Star league, but we'll see.
Old 09-07-17, 08:41 AM   #50
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

My 4 teams

12 Team Standard (DVD Talk All Star)
QB Dak Prescott, Carson Wentz
WR Jordy Nelson, Mike Evans, Terrelle Pryor, John Brown, Mike Wallace, Corey Coleman
RB Joe Mixon, Ameer Abdullah, Bilal Powell, Terrance West
TE Coby Fleener
K Kai Forbath
D/ST Bills

12 Team Standard (DVD Talk Legends)
QB Marcus Mariota, Andy Dalton
WR Terrelle Pryor, Pierre Garcon, Marvin Jones, Zay Jones, Cooper Kupp
RB Le'Veon Bell, Isaiah Crowell, Mike Gillislee, Darren McFadden, D'Onta Foreman
TE Travis Kelce
K Kai Forbath
D/ST Rams

12 Team Standard (DVD Talk Aucton)
QB Andy Dalton, Eli Manning
WR Mike Evans, Keenan Allen, Pierre Garcon, Adam Thielen, Marvin Jones, Taylor Gabriel, Ted Ginn Jr
RB Isaiah Crowell, Joe Mixon, CJ Anderson, D'Onta Foreman
TE Travis Kelce
K Kai Forbath
D/ST Rams

12 Team PPR (Friends League)
QB Marcus Mariota
WR Mike Evans, Michael Thomas, Pierre Garcon, Martavis Bryant, Cooper Kupp
RB Isaiah Crowell, Christian McCaffrey, Joe Mixon, Kareem Hunt, D'Onta Foreman
TE Zach Ertz
K Brandon McManus
D/ST Steelers

Random Notes: As you can see, I am particularly enamored with the rookie RB class, particularly Joe Mixon. I also have Foreman on most teams because I think he will supplant Lamar Miller as the Texans' lead back by the halfway point of the season, if not earlier. I think Pryor is going to have a monster year in Washington, so he was a common target in my drafts. Finally, Pierre Garcon was also someone I targeted in all drafts. I think he'll be great in San Fran with Kyle Shanahan as his coach.

Last edited by Osiris3657; 09-07-17 at 08:48 AM.