Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

View Poll Results: Would you trade within your division?
Of course--why limit my options? 5 62.50%
Yes, but only if it's clearly the best deal 3 37.50%
No, it's two steps forward and one step back 0 0%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-31-17, 02:44 AM   #1
DVD Talk Hero

2017 MLB Week 18 July 31-Aug 6 "Trade Deadline Edition"

Sounds like the Cubs are getting reliever Justin Wilson and catcher Alex Aviles from the Tigers for MLB-ready-but-blocked 3B Jeimer Candelario (top prospect left standing), Class A SS Issac Paredes, and a PTBNL. Cubs get bullpen help (Justin Grimm should be worried) and a veteran backup catcher with some bat.
Challenges: Action 2017 | Academy Award 2017 | TV on DVD* 2017 | Holiday 2016 | Comedy 2016 | Horror 2016 | Criterion 2016 | Animation 2016 | Sci-Fi 2016 | Historical 2016 | Make-Your-Own 2016 | Drive-In 2016 | Leap Day 2016

Last edited by davidh777; 07-31-17 at 02:55 AM.
Old 07-31-17, 07:03 AM   #2
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: 2017 MLB Week 18 July 31-Aug 6 "Trade Deadline Edition"

Nice trade, given Wilson is under contract next year as well.
Old 07-31-17, 09:19 AM   #3
DVD Talk Legend

I am beyond pissed that the Nats have not picked up a closer yet. They could have had Ramos. They should have never let Melacon go. they have tradeable pieces. Their window is closing.

http://www.invelos.com/dvdcollection.aspx/cwrujosh
Old 07-31-17, 11:44 AM   #4
DVD Talk Limited Edition

ESPN has Reed going to Boston from the Mets for 3 prospects

Boston Red Sox acquire: RHP Addison Reed
New York Mets acquire: RHP Stephen Nogosek, RHP Gerson Bautista, RHP Jamie Callahan
Old 07-31-17, 11:55 AM   #5
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVD Josh View Post
I am beyond pissed that the Nats have not picked up a closer yet. They could have had Ramos. They should have never let Melacon go. they have tradeable pieces. Their window is closing.
I don't get it as the template for a short playoff series is a dominant bullpen contrasting with a deep starting rotation is setup for a 162 game schedule.

Maybe they're gunshy after the Papelbon fiasco 2 years ago? I'm a Phillies fan so I knew the day we made that trade with the Nationals he would be a problem in the lockeroom (especially when he said he wouldn't be an 8th inning setup guy as I believe that hurt the team chemistry.)
Old 07-31-17, 12:00 PM   #6
DVD Talk Legend

A few variables go into the poll question. If I'm a selling GM and the player I'm trading away is a rental, I have no qualms about sending him to a division rival. If the player has a few years of control then I'm a lot more hesitant and it would take more convincing to pull a trigger on that.

Lots of talk about the Yankees trading for Sonny Gray. It seems that they're the only team left at this point and it's either a deal being done or one of the teams walking away. I think trading for Garcia gives Cashman the leverage to walk away without feeling like he lost out big time. I think he should walk away if Beane is insisting on Frazier, Torres or Adams. But if it's Florial and/or Mateo as a headline -- do the deal. Gray checks off a lot of boxes for the Yankees for the next 2.5 years.
Old 07-31-17, 12:26 PM   #7
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Cubs got two nice players from Detroit. Wilson doesn't have a long track record but he's been really, really good this year.
"Do u know how hard is it to won one oscar award? now ur simply referring him to motherfucker, but he deserve huge respect, even he win nobel prize, there is no surprise in it. first of all learn respect" - Ganesh Ujwal
XBox Live = Stiffy Goat11
Old 07-31-17, 01:44 PM   #8
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob V View Post
The Cubs got two nice players from Detroit. Wilson doesn't have a long track record but he's been really, really good this year.
Thanks! On your end, I really think Candelario is ready to be a solid pro right now (switch-hitting bat and defense improved enough to possibly stick at third), and some like the young SS even more. Both top 10 prospects, which I grant isn't as impressive as it would've been a couple years ago, but Candelario has been highly regarded for a while.
Challenges: Action 2017 | Academy Award 2017 | TV on DVD* 2017 | Holiday 2016 | Comedy 2016 | Horror 2016 | Criterion 2016 | Animation 2016 | Sci-Fi 2016 | Historical 2016 | Make-Your-Own 2016 | Drive-In 2016 | Leap Day 2016
Old 07-31-17, 02:03 PM   #9
DVD Talk Legend

If the Astros or Dodgers don't pick up a serious starting pitcher, it could cost both teams their best shot in decades at a title.

The Dodgers win the World Series with Justin Verlander, it's that simple. Considering it's only money to acquire him, this is a critical decision for them.

Over 5000 Blu-rays ranked by pure video quality.
Old 07-31-17, 02:20 PM   #10
DVD Talk Legend

Yankees get Sonny Gray and give up an interesting mix of prospects. Jorge Mateo is highly touted but has been expendable ever since they traded for Torres. Dustin Fowler and James Kapelerian were both ready to contribute at the ML level this year but were shut down with bad injuries. Hopefully they'll bounce back because both guys are talented.

I like the deal for both teams.
Old 07-31-17, 02:45 PM   #11
DVD Talk Hero

Dodgers pick up left handed reliever Tony Watson from the Pirates. Yay?

GAME CENTER ID : DECKER 01

I haven't seen Evil Dead 2.....yet.
Old 07-31-17, 03:02 PM   #12
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The Houston Astros acquired left-hander Francisco Liriano from the Toronto Blue Jays on Monday, a source told ESPN's Buster Olney, confirming multiple reports.

MLB.com is reporting that outfielder Nori Aoki and minor league outfielder Teoscar Hernandez are headed to Toronto in return for Liriano.

Report: Indians snag J. Smith from Blue Jays
The Indians acquired reliever Joe Smith from the Blue Jays on Monday, according to Fox Sports.
Liriano, 33, is 6-5 with a 5.88 ERA in 18 starts for Toronto this season. He is 102-97 with a 4.15 ERA in 12 seasons.

Aoki, 35, is hitting .272 with two home runs and 19 RBIs in 202 at-bats this season.

Hernandez, 24, is hitting .279 with 12 home runs and 44 RBIs for Triple-A Fresno. He appeared in one game for the Astros in 2017 but didn't get an at-bat.
Old 07-31-17, 03:11 PM   #13
DVD Talk Hero

Stunned the Dodgers didn't do more. You really couldn't be more in a win-now mode than they are and all they do at the trade deadline is pick up left handed relievers Tony Watson and Tony Cingrani. Acquiring two Tonys is great if you're Lin-Manuel Miranda, not so much if you're chasing a World Series.

Old 07-31-17, 03:15 PM   #14
DVD Talk Hero

News Bomb : Rosenthal tweeted Darvish to Dodgers! WTF???

Old 07-31-17, 03:31 PM   #15
DVD Talk Godfather

ESPN reporting it now. Wonder who the Dodgers gave up, last I heard the Rangers asking price was pretty high.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/2...-texas-rangers

And of course you can GFY. -chess
Old 07-31-17, 03:34 PM   #16
DVD Talk Special Edition

Nationals acquired Brian Kintzler from Twins according to MLB Trade Rumors, haven't seen it on other news outlets yet.
Old 07-31-17, 03:35 PM   #17
DVD Talk Godfather

Old 07-31-17, 03:41 PM   #18
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinned View Post
Nationals acquired Brian Kintzler from Twins according to MLB Trade Rumors, haven't seen it on other news outlets yet.
Well it's something but he's on an expiring deal so he's likely gone after this season. Our bullpen is much better than it was at the start of the year, so there's that.

Dodgers just look to me to have the NL locked up though. Maybe even before they got Darvish.

Old 07-31-17, 04:00 PM   #19
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post

4th, 17th and 27th best prospects in the Dodger's farm system, respectively. Glad they didn't have to part with their top guys.

Old 07-31-17, 04:43 PM   #20
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decker View Post
4th, 17th and 27th best prospects in the Dodger's farm system, respectively. Glad they didn't have to part with their top guys.
I think the Dodgers got the better end of that deal by far.

Old 07-31-17, 04:54 PM   #21
DVD Talk God

O's buy again no less. WTF is FUquette thinking.
"A question for you. Would you rather Bucknell make the NCAA's once every 20 years or so and get ass raped by teams like Kansas in the first round or have them drop down a rung to a confernce where they can compete for a title?"
- Josh Hinkle
1st Round Final Scores: Bucknell 64 Kansas 63 | Bucknell 59 Arkansas 55
Old 07-31-17, 05:16 PM   #22
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
O's buy again no less. WTF is FUquette thinking.
I bet JJ Hardy just pooped his pants when he heard about the transaction.

Still doesn't improve the starting rotation(besides Hellickson). Miley just pitched his one good game of the month.

I would put Jimenez in the bullpen and pitch long relief twice a week. At least you wouldn't need to carry so many useless one inning reliefer's.

Last edited by dvd-4-life; 07-31-17 at 06:04 PM.
Old 07-31-17, 05:19 PM   #23
DVD Talk God

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVD Josh View Post
I think the Dodgers got the better end of that deal by far.
Did they?

So they are already leading their division by a lot and are extremely unlikely to relinquish that lead. It is clear they are already going to playoffs. Darvish has a 0-2 playoff record with a 5+ ERA. What purpose do they serve in getting him? Unless they want him long term, which they could easily do in off season, they basically gave up 3 prospects for the chance at what? Maybe a few extra wins this season? Not to mention, Darvish has been horrible his last 8 starts or so and has even admitted he was tipping pitches his last game. I just don't get the move.
John Henson: McDonald's has dumped Kobe Bryant as their spokesperson and have replaced him with Yao Ming. Apparently McDonald's prefers Yao because he is a bigger international star, and he doesn't rape so much.

"You are everything that's wrong with this forum".---SleepyW
Old 07-31-17, 05:31 PM   #24
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deftones View Post
Did they?

So they are already leading their division by a lot and are extremely unlikely to relinquish that lead. It is clear they are already going to playoffs. Darvish has a 0-2 playoff record with a 5+ ERA. What purpose do they serve in getting him? Unless they want him long term, which they could easily do in off season, they basically gave up 3 prospects for the chance at what? Maybe a few extra wins this season? Not to mention, Darvish has been horrible his last 8 starts or so and has even admitted he was tipping pitches his last game. I just don't get the move.
I think my Nats have shown repeatedly what a good regular season means in the playoffs. I think this moves shows that Kershaw is actually far worse off than they are letting on. This move was to ensure that they have top rotation guys for the playoffs, or to extend Kershaw's rest as long as possible. They did not give up much, regardless far less than I think the Rangers should have gotten for Darvish. You are right he has been bad of late but that's a blip in an otherwise very good career and he still has great stuff. A new league may help the guy straighten out.

It's clear the Dodgers are all in this year so this was a good move for them. If nothing else, they aren't going for half measures.

Old 07-31-17, 05:58 PM   #25
DVD Talk Godfather

I don't think you can really use Darvish's post season numbers as a big negative here, he only has the 2 starts. In 2012 he went 6.2 innings and only gave up 2 earned runs and took the loss while striking out 7, and in 2016 he went 5 innings and gave up 5 earned runs, making his "career" playoff numbers look skewed. One bad performance, one good.

Also, I wouldn't say Darvish hasn't been horrible his last 8 starts. There's only been 2 games that were bad, giving up 10 runs in his last game and another one where he gave up 7. Between those, he had games where he gave up 3, 2, and 2 runs respectively, and before that had games where he gave up 2 and 0 runs. Articles also point out his home/road splits where he's been excellent on the road, so the NL + Dodger Stadium should be a positive there too.

I certainly feel better to have him pitch in a playoff series then Brandon McCarthy or Kenda Maeda at this point, and hopefully help the Dodgers continue the momentum for the next month without Kershaw.

I'd dislike the trade if the Dodgers gave up one of their top 3 prospects, but from all the chatter there's a drop off from those guys to Calhoun. If there was any year to make a move, even for a rental, this is it. For what it's worth ESPN gave the Dodgers an A+ for the trade.