Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

View Poll Results: Would you trade within your division?
Of course--why limit my options? 5 62.50%
Yes, but only if it's clearly the best deal 3 37.50%
No, it's two steps forward and one step back 0 0%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-06-17, 01:10 AM   #51
DVD Talk Hero

Re: 2017 MLB Week 18 July 31-Aug 6 "Trade Deadline Edition"

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post
The Dodgers are a perfectly constructed regular season team with a deep bullpen and seemingly dozens of starting pitchers. Some of this is luck on their part, Bellinger wasn't supposed to be a superstar right out of the gate.

They remind me a bit of the 2001 Mariners, which doesn't bode well for the playoffs.
I'm curious : why do you think that they will have trouble in the playoffs? I'm a pessimist and always think that way. Is there something you see that is a problem or is it just that the Mariners didn't win that makes you say that? I think as long as Kershaw is fine that this team can go far.
Old 08-06-17, 02:04 AM   #52
DVD Talk Legend

And I still can't watch them on tv. What a waste.
Old 08-06-17, 10:18 AM   #53
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
They are going to broadcast 7 games in August. Yippie?

I've been in San Diego for the weekend and have been able to watch the Dodgers games on my phone with MLB.tv. That's 2 hours from LA. I live in Vegas, 5 hours away and I am blocked for every game that isn't on ESPN or Fox nationally. It really sucks.
Old 08-06-17, 10:35 AM   #54
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
What about MLB Extra Innings? They show the home market's games(no blackout). I am not 100 percent certain but I don't think the carrier matters. I would call and ask first.
Old 08-06-17, 11:32 AM   #55
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvd-4-life View Post
What about MLB Extra Innings? They show the home market's games(no blackout). I am not 100 percent certain but I don't think the carrier matters. I would call and ask first.
I've read that they still have to honor MLB blackout rules which includes the Dodgers in this market. Maybe some markets have no blackouts though?

Sad though that the Dodgers are a non entity in my house (to my kids) and if I ever downgraded my tv package so would the Lakers and Clippers.

Last edited by fujishig; 08-06-17 at 11:38 AM.
Old 08-06-17, 09:54 PM   #56
DVD Talk Legend

Former Phillie, Darren Daulton, passed away after a 4-year battle with brain cancer. He was 55.

Phillies Press Release: http://m.phillies.mlb.com/news/artic...n-passes-away/

(spoilered for length):

Spoiler:

Quote:
The Phillies have announced that Darren "Dutch" Daulton passed away today at the age of 55 after a four-year battle with brain cancer.

Born on January 3, 1962, Daulton attended Arkansas City (KS) High School. He was selected in the 25th round - the 628th overall selection - of the 1980 June draft by the Phillies. He developed into a three-time All-Star who played 14 seasons with the Phillies (1983; 1985-97), the longest tenure for a catcher in franchise history. Known throughout baseball as one of the game's toughest players, Daulton made 143 starts at catcher in 1993, which was the most in Phillies history and tied for the most by any catcher that season. The Phillies won the National League pennant that year with Daulton's leadership playing a significant role.

Daulton was traded to the Florida Marlins on July 21, 1997, where he would spend the final two and a half months of his playing career. The Marlins would go on to win the World Series that year and manager Jim Leyland credited Daulton's clubhouse leadership as an important factor.

In 1992, Daulton won a Silver Slugger and led the National League with 109 RBI, becoming just the fourth catcher to win the RBI title. He is the only catcher in Phillies history with two 100-RBI seasons (109 in 1992 and 105 in 1993) and holds the Phillies single-season records for a catcher in walks (117), doubles (35), putouts (981) and double plays (19). Each record was set in 1993.
Daulton batted .245 in 1,109 Phillies games with 189 doubles, 134 home runs and 567 RBI.

Daulton received the Players Choice Comeback Player of the Year Award (1997) and the Sporting News Comeback Player of the Year Award (1997). He was inducted into the Reading Baseball Hall of Fame (1997). He was also selected as the starting catcher on the All-Vet Team (2003) and was inducted into the Phillies Wall of Fame (2010).

"Darren was a true leader of men. The Phillies would not have gone to the 1993 World Series without his leadership," said Phillies Chairman Emeritus Bill Giles. "In addition to being an outstanding clubhouse leader, he was also a fighter. He battled through five knee operations to become an All-Star. I really enjoyed watching him for 14 years in uniform. Darren was a super human being. His teammates loved him, I loved him like he was one of my own. In fact, he called me 'Uncle Bill.'"

"All of us at the Phillies are saddened to hear of Darren's passing. From the day that we drafted him until today, he constantly earned our respect and admiration as both a player and person," said Phillies Chairman David Montgomery. "Darren was the face of our franchise in the early 1990's. Jim Fregosi asked so much of him as catcher, clean-up hitter and team leader. He responded to all three challenges. One of my toughest decisions as team president was to approve his trade to the Marlins in July of 1997. Our thoughts and prayers go out to his wife, Amanda, his parents, his brother and his four children. Dutch was truly "one of a kind" and we will dearly miss him."

Throughout most of his adult life, Darren resided in Clearwater, Fla. Starting in 2010, he spent the season in Philadelphia hosting a radio show on 97.5 The Fanatic, "Talking Baseball with Dutch," five days a week. On July 1, 2013, he underwent surgery for resection of two brain tumors related to glioblastoma at Thomas Jefferson University Hospital. It didn't deter Dutch, who proclaimed, "Right on; Fight on," typical of his toughness.

He established the Darren Daulton Foundation in 2011. In 2013, the foundation's mission shifted to raise funds for brain cancer which claimed the lives of other Phillies including Johnny Oates, Ken Brett, Tug McGraw and John Vukovich.

"Dutch" is one of the most beloved players to ever wear a Phillies uniform. He is survived by his parents Carol and Dave of Arkansas City, Kansas; one brother, Dave Jr.; of Arkansas City, Kansas; his wife Amanda of Clearwater; and his four children Zachary (27), Summer (17), Savannah (16), Darren Jr. (15), all of whom reside in the Clearwater area.

Funeral services for Darren will be private. In lieu of flowers, donations can be made to the Darren Daulton Foundation Foundation, 1339 Chestnut Street, Suite 500, Philadelphia, PA 19107.

"i 'm new here. most of people in here are good. but there is a miserable person. Look into your mirror. Superboy!" --New Member, robert11
Old 08-06-17, 09:57 PM   #57
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decker View Post
Bellinger with #29. Within 6 of Piazza's Dodger Rookie Record with 2 months to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidh777 View Post
Only four homers in July? Maybe he isn't the Second Coming after all.
He has found his power again hit #32 tonight. Dodgers Rookie record is 35 and the NL Rookie record is 38. Both are in jeopardy though Mark McGuire's 49 is certainly still safe from Bellinger and Judge.
Old 08-06-17, 10:04 PM   #58
DVD Talk Hero

Sad news about Daulton.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidh777 View Post
Cubs score 16 one day, get shut out on three hits the next day. Baseball is a funny game.
And they lost four of the next five to contending teams, even though the Nationals were missing their best starters.

Quote:
Dodgers go deep five times (one each by their five best offensive players this season : Puig, Turner, Taylor, Seager and Bellinger). They are 43-7 in their last 50 -- the best 50 game run in the majors since the NY Giants went 43-7 in 1912.
I'll give credit to Puig as the last time I looked he seemed to be at replacement player-level. Is he a long-term answer, or do the Dodgers look to upgrade that spot in the future?
Challenges: Action 2017 | Academy Award 2017 | TV on DVD* 2017 | Holiday 2016 | Comedy 2016 | Horror 2016 | Criterion 2016 | Animation 2016 | Sci-Fi 2016 | Historical 2016 | Make-Your-Own 2016 | Drive-In 2016 | Leap Day 2016
Old 08-06-17, 11:07 PM   #59
DVD Talk Godfather

I like Puig, and while his production is up from the last couple years he's obviously still not close to the way he came on to the scene as a rookie. I think they keep him for as long as they don't have a better solution in the OF, but there's been so many rumors over the last years for guys like Braun or even McCutchen that the Dodgers would certainly make a move if something intriguing comes up. Helps that Puig's contract isn't too bad.

And of course you can GFY. -chess
Old 08-07-17, 01:30 AM   #60
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
I'm curious : why do you think that they will have trouble in the playoffs? I'm a pessimist and always think that way. Is there something you see that is a problem or is it just that the Mariners didn't win that makes you say that? I think as long as Kershaw is fine that this team can go far.
I actually think the Nats and possibly even the Cubs have a better offense than the Dodgers. All it takes is a couple of starters for those teams pitching lights out to win a playoff series.

Kershaw is my favorite player today and he's a future Hall of Famer, but he's not the same dominant pitcher in the playoffs. If he pitches sub-par again in the playoffs, the Dodgers look vulnerable to an upset.

As for the Puig discussion, the Dodgers tried dumping him the past year through a trade. He's playing better now but all signs indicate they let him walk when his contract is up. I'm sure he'll have a monster 2018 as it is his free agent walk year.

Over 5000 Blu-rays ranked by pure video quality.