Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Old 07-31-17, 09:32 PM   #26
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: 2017 Legends Keeper Fantasy Football League

Updated both payments received!
Old 08-05-17, 07:43 PM   #27
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Still missing payments from three owners. I'll give it a few more days but after that I'm opening it up to KenBuzz and any others who want the spots that may be open.

Daryl-Brutal Juice .
Barkley Bruisers .
Mountain Biker- Smokey McBongwater.
Old 08-06-17, 11:36 PM   #28
DVD Talk Legend

kenbuzz can have my spot, if he wants. I'm in too many keeper leagues as it is, not really looking to add another one
Old 08-07-17, 06:12 PM   #29
DVD Talk Gold Edition

PM spot sent to KenBuzz to fill Daryl's open spot.
Old 08-09-17, 08:59 AM   #30
DVD Talk Legend

Sorry for the delayed response, a little drama in my personal life.

Friendly tip: I you have kids, it's best to just skip past the 'Teens years.

Heading off to PayPal right now to submit my franchise fee. Gimme a bit to come up with a team name for this years' championship plaque.
Old 08-09-17, 09:07 AM   #31
DVD Talk Legend

Sent.

I'll be the Fightin' Amish again. Where on ESPN can I find the league page, or could the info be PM'd to me please?
Old 08-09-17, 11:57 AM   #32
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenbuzz View Post
Sent.

I'll be the Fightin' Amish again. Where on ESPN can I find the league page, or could the info be PM'd to me please?
Payment received and updated OP. Thanks for joining. I will send out invite later today.

Just missing payments from two. Have yet to her from Barkley Bruisers and Mountain Biker sent PM but have not received payment.

At this point anyone who wants in is welcome. Just post or PM and you can fill any open spots.
Old 08-09-17, 12:44 PM   #33
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I think you should give a deadline for them (like a week) and if they don't respond/don't want to play, delete their teams and change to a 10 team league.

Or I could take on a 2nd team
Old 08-09-17, 05:46 PM   #34
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by amplified View Post
Payment received and updated OP. Thanks for joining. I will send out invite later today.
Got it, and I'm in. Thanks.
Old 08-09-17, 06:54 PM   #35
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osiris3657 View Post
I think you should give a deadline for them (like a week) and if they don't respond/don't want to play, delete their teams and change to a 10 team league.

Or I could take on a 2nd team
I tracked Nicole (Barkley Bruisers) down on Facebook today and she said she will have payment to me by the end of night and she is in again. So that just leaves Mountain Biker.

I don't have confirmation that he is in or out so anyone who wants last spot can have it. I may have another friend who helped out two years ago join. First come first serve unless Mountain Biker responds.
Old 08-09-17, 06:55 PM   #36
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Once I have last two payments I'll do random draft generator thru FFToolbox as usual. Although maybe I should switch random generators because the highest I've ever got was 5th pick

Hoping to have draft order to everyone by Friday. Keep an eye on email and also keep eye on thread.
Old 08-09-17, 07:08 PM   #37
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Quote:
Once I have last two payments I'll do random draft generator thru FFToolbox as usual. Although maybe I should switch random generators because the highest I've ever got was 5th pick

Hoping to have draft order to everyone by Friday. Keep an eye on email and also keep eye on thread.
I used the FFToolbox draft generator for the All Star league and got the 12th pick this year....
Old 08-09-17, 08:19 PM   #38
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Barkley Bruisers just paid! Updated OP
Old 08-10-17, 08:35 AM   #39
DVD Talk Legend

This is my first keeper league, but I've been a commish for 30 years and have been wanting to get a keeper league started with the guys from my "home" league. So a couple of quick questions before we draft:

1. When we keep a player, do we forfeit a draft pick the following year based on the round the player was originally taken, or is it just 'everybody keep 2, we'll draft the other 14'?

2. If we -do- forfeit picks, what is the cost of a player that was picked up as a free agent and who was NOT drafted?

3. If we -don't- forfeit picks (meaning next year's will be a 14-round draft), what happens if an owner opts to keep fewer than 2 players? Do they get extra draft picks to compensate or will the league require that -everybody- keep -exactly- 2?

4. Should we consider adding one IR spot to our rosters, so that if an obvious keeper player goes down for the year that owner isn't forced to burn a bench spot just to retain their rights for next year? If we do this, we should discuss how the mechanics of IR should work, because I have seen leagues where IR has been abused. They weren't keeper leagues, so I imagine the potential for abuse might actually be higher here than there.

Like I said I've been wanting to get a keeper league started for years and have thought a lot about how *I* would set one up. I have suggestions for all of the topics mentioned above but wanted to hear first from the Commish and other Owners before tossing in my $0.02.
Old 08-10-17, 11:58 AM   #40
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
This is my first keeper league, but I've been a commish for 30 years and have been wanting to get a keeper league started with the guys from my "home" league. So a couple of quick questions before we draft:

1. When we keep a player, do we forfeit a draft pick the following year based on the round the player was originally taken, or is it just 'everybody keep 2, we'll draft the other 14'?

2. If we -do- forfeit picks, what is the cost of a player that was picked up as a free agent and who was NOT drafted?

3. If we -don't- forfeit picks (meaning next year's will be a 14-round draft), what happens if an owner opts to keep fewer than 2 players? Do they get extra draft picks to compensate or will the league require that -everybody- keep -exactly- 2?

4. Should we consider adding one IR spot to our rosters, so that if an obvious keeper player goes down for the year that owner isn't forced to burn a bench spot just to retain their rights for next year? If we do this, we should discuss how the mechanics of IR should work, because I have seen leagues where IR has been abused. They weren't keeper leagues, so I imagine the potential for abuse might actually be higher here than there.

Like I said I've been wanting to get a keeper league started for years and have thought a lot about how *I* would set one up. I have suggestions for all of the topics mentioned above but wanted to hear first from the Commish and other Owners before tossing in my $0.02.

I'll do my best to answer some of your questions.

The way I understand it, ESPN has a fairly inflexible keeper format. Basically the 2 keepers you decide to keep for the 2018 draft will be picked in the first two rounds of that draft. If someone decides not to keep a player they will have the chance to select from the non-protected list of players. It doesn't matter where you drafted your "keeper". The keeper will serve as your 1st and 2nd round picks. This would eliminate someone holding on to a 4th-5th round valued player with the hopes that they over perform. So basically you would only want to hold on to a keeper if you valued them as a 1st or 2nd round pick. I copied this explanation from ESPN's website:

What if I choose not to keep the maximum number of players allowed in my keeper league?
If an owner chooses not to keep the maximum number of players allowed, they will draft a new player from the available pool once all keepers have been retained. For example, assuming a four team league with a maximum of three keepers, where two owners choose not to keep three players, a straight (not snake) draft will occur as follows:

Quote:
1st round:
Adam obtains first of three keepers
Brian obtains first of two keepers
Chris obtains first of three keepers
Dave drafts a player from available player pool

2nd round:
Adam obtains second of three keepers
Brian obtains second of two keepers
Chris obtains second of three keepers
Dave drafts player from available player pool

3rd round:
Adam obtains third of three keepers
Brian drafts player from available player pool
Chris obtains third of three keepers

4th round (regular draft selections for all owners):
Adam drafts player from available player pool
Brian drafts player from available player pool
Chris drafts player from available player pool

5th Round (regular draft selections for all owners and snake format begins):
Dave
Chris
Brian
Adam
etc.

In terms of IR- I'm open to adding IR spot if the league agrees. I've played in leagues with IR before and abuse hasn't been a real issue.
Old 08-10-17, 12:33 PM   #41
DVD Talk Legend

Hmm.... the ESPN scheme is interesting.

So it seems that *none* of the players who are on rosters at the end of 2016 would be in the available player pool. In essence, for Rounds 1 & 2 in 2018, we would each get our choice of (a) a player from our 2017 roster, or (b) a player that wasn't rostered by anybody. Then, following Round 2, *all* players would become available to draft.

Considering that we'll have 12 teams with 16 players on their roster at the end of the season, that's 192 rostered players that would not be exposed to the draft until round 3. Even if you throw out the 12 kickers and 12-18 defenses, that's still ~165 of the "best" players... I'm having a tough time imagining a scenario where my rostered team is so bad that I don't have two guys that are better than the dregs that would be available in Rounds 1 & 2.

But still, it's the same for everybody, so it really doesn't matter.

Cool. I get it. Thanks.
Old 08-10-17, 12:47 PM   #42
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
In terms of IR- I'm open to adding IR spot if the league agrees. I've played in leagues with IR before and abuse hasn't been a real issue.
I'm in an ESPN league with IR slots, and it won't let you put a guy on IR unless he's officially designated as injured, and once he's eligible to play again, it locks you out of certain roster moves till you activate him. It's so strict it can be annoying, but it helps prevent abuse.
Challenges: Action 2017 | Academy Award 2017 | TV on DVD* 2017 | Holiday 2016 | Comedy 2016 | Horror 2016 | Criterion 2016 | Animation 2016 | Sci-Fi 2016 | Historical 2016 | Make-Your-Own 2016 | Drive-In 2016 | Leap Day 2016
Old 08-10-17, 01:27 PM   #43
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidh777 View Post
I'm in an ESPN league with IR slots, and it won't let you put a guy on IR unless he's officially designated as injured, and once he's eligible to play again, it locks you out of certain roster moves till you activate him. It's so strict it can be annoying, but it helps prevent abuse.
That's good to hear. As long as it's strict enough to prevent owners from using it to stash non-injured players (effectively enlarging their bench) then I'll all for it.
Old 08-10-17, 07:00 PM   #44
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Hmm.... the ESPN scheme is interesting.

So it seems that *none* of the players who are on rosters at the end of 2016 would be in the available player pool. In essence, for Rounds 1 & 2 in 2018, we would each get our choice of (a) a player from our 2017 roster, or (b) a player that wasn't rostered by anybody. Then, following Round 2, *all* players would become available to draft.

Considering that we'll have 12 teams with 16 players on their roster at the end of the season, that's 192 rostered players that would not be exposed to the draft until round 3. Even if you throw out the 12 kickers and 12-18 defenses, that's still ~165 of the "best" players... I'm having a tough time imagining a scenario where my rostered team is so bad that I don't have two guys that are better than the dregs that would be available in Rounds 1 & 2.

But still, it's the same for everybody, so it really doesn't matter.

Cool. I get it. Thanks.
Actually any player that is not protected as a keeper is available to draft. So in reality there would only be at max 24 players protected.
Old 08-11-17, 01:08 PM   #45
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Ok- we are down to just one spot. Don't know if Moutain Biker is in or out but I'm starting to reach out to a few friends. Hoping to have replacement owner by Sat
Old 08-11-17, 06:59 PM   #46
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Houston- we have liftoff!

Big Thank you to Osiris3657 for finding our last replacement owner!

We are now a full league of 12 teams and everyone is paid. I will work on inputting email addresses into the FFLtoolbox random draft generator tonight so we should have draft order with in a few hours. As usual, I will also post draft order in the thread as well as the auto emails everyone gets.
Old 08-11-17, 07:36 PM   #47
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Ok the moment of truth:

And I'm as shocked as anyone.....

The following draft order was randomly generated for your league:

1 - *Zorbonauts
2 - Fat Cats
3 - WD Forte
4 - Team Mystery/DVD Josh
5 - UP Laters
6 - The Mannings
7 - Mas Truth
8 - Missed it By That Much
9 - Team 12/Hal.B
10 - Barkley Bruisers
11 - Fightin' Amish
12 - Frey Meat Pie

I've never been higher than #5 so all I have to say is-- It's about time.
Old 08-13-17, 01:04 PM   #48
DVD Talk Hero

Too much pressure on the number one pick. That being said, 8th kinda sucks. Lol.
Old 08-13-17, 07:43 PM   #49
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickdawgy View Post
Too much pressure on the number one pick. That being said, 8th kinda sucks. Lol.
Yeah after thinking about it- not super happy I got #1 pick. That means my other "keeper" will be pick #24. I sure hope I make the right choice at number #1 because I won't have amazing options with my 2nd rounder
Old 08-14-17, 11:37 AM   #50
DVD Talk Legend

Got the #11 pick. Yaay. :/

Since we're starting up a Keeper league, things that we decide upon now *before* our start-up draft will impact things down the road. That's why I asked about IR spots, and that's also why I'm asking these (hopefully) final questions:

1 - Even though there will be an ESPN-enforced trade deadline during the season, should we consider opening up trading again during the off-season? I could envision situations where owners with more than 2 keeper-quality players might be willing to trade one of them for a better draft pick.

2 - Speaking of draft picks, will next year's draft order be completely random *or* should we consider a scheme whereby picks are assigned based on this year's order of finish? Now granted, there's little advantage to be gained based on your spot in a 1-12 / 12-1 Snake Draft (which I'm *NOT* advocating changing), versus a straight 1-12 / 1-12 Draft. But if our 2017 post-season were set up to award teams their CHOICE of 2018 Draft slots, then owners could select a pick # that they feel would benefit them the best. The general idea is that all 12 teams earn "selections" based on their final order of finish. The team with the first "selection" uses that to decide with of the 12 draft slots they want to be slotted in. The team with the second "selection" chooses next, and so on, with the 12th team being assigned to the last slot available. Teams that miss out on the playoffs would compete in their own post-season for "selections" 1-6, while teams in the championship bracket would play for "selections" 7-12. It's a little convoluted, but it gives owners something tangible to play for during the final 3 weeks of the season, and if they get a draft slot that they like they can use it for themselves OR potentially trade it for a keeper.

Whaddya think?