Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Old 08-28-17, 11:17 PM   #151
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Mayweather vs. McGregor - August 26th

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel Motes View Post
If Floyd Mayweather is smart, he'll fight Conor in MMA for the UFC.
What? That's nonsense. If he's smart, he doesn't get anywhere near an MMA ring with a guy like McGregor. Hell, everyone in the universe is smart for not getting into an MMA ring against McGregor.

http://www.invelos.com/dvdcollection.aspx/cwrujosh
Old 08-29-17, 02:50 AM   #152
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I disagree. He has nothing to lose and everything to gain. He would get an enormous payday and it wouldn't tarnish his boxing legacy even a little bit. Floyd beat Conor in boxing, Conor beats Floyd in MMA. Neither guy loses ANY shine because its not their sport. It would be like if Floyd lost a tennis match to Roger Federer. Obviously he won't win, he's never competed in that sport before. No one will hold any kind of expectation against him. Conor got knocked out by Floyd and he's probably even BIGGER because of it.

I mean, did getting subbed by Randy Couture do anything to James Toney's boxing legacy? Not a bit. And Floyd would get a MINIMUM of 100 times more than Toney made. Even if he loses, it's win/win.

If I were Mayweather, I'd do it in a heartbeat.
Old 08-29-17, 08:05 AM   #153
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Zero chance Mayweather lets himself get beat bloody in a ring. He would last literally 10 sec against most any MMA fighter. MMA fighters train in boxing as a discipline; Boxers don't train in MMA.

IMO his image is just as (if not more) important to him as his money.
Old 08-29-17, 09:14 AM   #154
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Floyd is done.
Old 08-29-17, 09:26 AM   #155
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
I disagree. He has nothing to lose and everything to gain. He would get an enormous payday and it wouldn't tarnish his boxing legacy even a little bit. Floyd beat Conor in boxing, Conor beats Floyd in MMA. Neither guy loses ANY shine because its not their sport. It would be like if Floyd lost a tennis match to Roger Federer. Obviously he won't win, he's never competed in that sport before. No one will hold any kind of expectation against him. Conor got knocked out by Floyd and he's probably even BIGGER because of it.
I said it earlier in the thread: Conor would literally mop the floor with Floyd. Conor lasted 10 rounds with Floyd on his turf. Floyd would be choked unconscious in under 30 seconds unless Conor decided to break apart his face with kicks for a bit first. The only thing Floyd would get out of the fight long term is scar tissue and sympathy for the humiliating beating he took.
Old 08-29-17, 09:30 AM   #156
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
I disagree. He has nothing to lose and everything to gain.
He has an unbeaten record in combat sports to lose. Doesn't matter that it's a different discipline. Not a chance in hell he risks going 49-0 and 0-1.

McGregor needs to get back into the octagon and get his face turned inside out by Nurmagomedov or Ferguson. No chance that happens to the UFC cash cow though. There'll be a third Nate Diaz fight instead.
Old 08-29-17, 11:30 AM   #157
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If Mayweather were smart, he'd not step one foot near an MMA octagon. He knows he'd get mauled instantly. He'd out run Machida.
Conor would go for a takedown and it would be over via GnP and Conor would need to be shoved of because we all know he'd be beating the fuck out of Floyd's face. Floyd would be disfigured by elbows. No payday is worth that even with plastic surgery afterwards.
Old 08-29-17, 12:21 PM   #158
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
I disagree. He has nothing to lose and everything to gain.
You are quite literally out of your mind.

http://www.invelos.com/dvdcollection.aspx/cwrujosh
Old 08-29-17, 02:10 PM   #159

I dunno I guess I am crazy. 100 million dollars or more for 5 minutes of a fight everyone expects you to lose anyway. Doesn't sound like a bad deal to me. I say again, did the value of James Toney's legacy dip whatsoever because Randy subbed him? Nothing changed.

I'm not saying I want to see it. I don't really. I'd rather see Conor fight Ferguson or Khabib. But it would be an enormous payday for Floyd, and I'd do it if I were him. Conor would beat him, but so what. I don't think anyone would give a shit. His 50-0 is etched in stone.
Old 08-30-17, 09:54 PM   #160
DVD Talk Legend

Anyone else think that Mayweather purposely went easy on Conor in the first couple of rounds, because it would upset fans to pay $100 for a pay-per-view match that lasted a few minutes?

Mayweather seemed very concerned after the match about hoping the fight was entertaining for fans.

Over 5000 Blu-rays ranked by pure video quality.
Old 08-31-17, 02:02 AM   #161

Floyd Mayweather, always thinking about the fans. Such a nice guy.
Old 08-31-17, 02:54 AM   #162

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post
Anyone else think that Mayweather purposely went easy on Conor in the first couple of rounds, because it would upset fans to pay $100 for a pay-per-view match that lasted a few minutes?

Mayweather seemed very concerned after the match about hoping the fight was entertaining for fans.
I don't think Floyd COULD have finished him in the first few rounds. And I don't think it had anything to do with the fans. I think the more likely scenario is that Floyd knew Conor has issues with gassing, so he just felt him out for a few rounds, figured out his timing, and as Conor started gassing he poured it on thicker and thicker until he finished him.
Old 08-31-17, 06:59 AM   #163
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:

I don't. Every Mayweather fight is like that (at least, ones that I've seen). Plus, the guy has no concern for anything other than himself.
Old 08-31-17, 09:02 AM   #164
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:

It's not so much that he went easy. Rather that he wanted Conor to gas himself out, had the defensive abilities to deal with his best shots and needed to get his distance and timing down. It's actually very typical. There's quite a few dominant boxers take over in rounds 4 thru 12.
Old 08-31-17, 09:20 AM   #165

Say what you will about Floyd outside the ring, but inside the ring he's as smart as they come. He pressed forward more in this fight and didn't just back up to the ropes. I don't think he would do that against just any opponent but he felt that he could against McGregor and he was right. That's largely where his service to the fans talk is coming from. He was ridiculed by casual boxing fans (the majority are casual fans) for being boring to watch. He's a technical mastermind. This fight allowed him to give the perception of being more risky or aggressive without truly taking any risk.

Trying to go for a knockout earlier would have been way more risky. You make a mistake and Connor has knockout power to make you pay. Why take the risk at all when you can let the guy run out of gas and then just completely pick him apart? Floyd dismantled him and it wasn't even close.
Old 09-03-17, 03:54 PM   #166
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I watched the fight on Showtime last night and it was entertaining. You could see Mayweather was toying with him for the first 3 rounds as he threw about 10 punches.

He waited patiently, tired McGregor out, and then dismantled him in the second half of the fight.

It was frustrating to watch McGregor's style as he wouldn't put both hands up in defense as he was fighting like it was a Rocky movie!
Old 09-04-17, 04:46 PM   #167
DVD Talk Limited Edition

They should have had the Corona ring girls fight on the undercard.