Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Old 08-27-17, 12:13 AM   #126
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Mayweather vs. McGregor - August 26th

Quote:
Originally Posted by DthRdrX View Post
BTW, the fact that the arena was pretty much empty during the other fights tells you how healthy the sport of boxing is currently.
Those fights were pretty boring.
Old 08-27-17, 12:16 AM   #127
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic View Post
Those fights were pretty boring.
Most are.
Old 08-27-17, 12:38 AM   #128
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm grateful that it happened. It went as expected.
Old 08-27-17, 01:33 AM   #129
DVD Talk God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coral View Post
It only went 10 rounds because Mayweather was playing the waiting game... waiting for McGregor to tire out. Mayweather started actually trying in the 7th or 8th and in the 9th McGregor was done like dinner.

For a boxer, McGregor is a helleva MMA fighter. A boxer he isn't.
He may not have the form, but he lasted 10 rounds and got into some quality hits early. Something many fighters can't say the same.
John Henson: McDonald's has dumped Kobe Bryant as their spokesperson and have replaced him with Yao Ming. Apparently McDonald's prefers Yao because he is a bigger international star, and he doesn't rape so much.

"You are everything that's wrong with this forum".---SleepyW
Old 08-27-17, 03:11 AM   #130
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Conor McGregor lasted 9 rounds and didn't get embarrassed. I'm sure he's taking this as a win.

The problem Conor has in boxing is the same one he has in MMA, his gas tank.

If I were him I would take 10 of that 100 million and dedicate my life to strength and conditioning. He should eat sleep and breathe cardio. If Conor didn't gas tonight after 4 rounds, I think Floyd would have still won, but it would have been super competitive.
Old 08-27-17, 03:54 AM   #131
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I was surprised the local news showed live clips from the fight though not the knockdown or knockdowns (I did not see the fight).

I thought usually they just show still photos after a big ppv.
Old 08-27-17, 05:56 AM   #132
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca View Post
I was surprised the local news showed live clips from the fight though not the knockdown or knockdowns (I did not see the fight).

I thought usually they just show still photos after a big ppv.
I did not see the fight either, but I don't think that there were any knockdowns.

-----
PSN: CactusKind
Old 08-27-17, 08:06 AM   #133
DVD Talk Gold Edition

There werent. Mayweather had him on the ropes but no one went down.
Old 08-27-17, 09:07 AM   #134
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Power Colt-Robot Man View Post
The fact that Mcgregor had Mayweather on the attack and that it went 10 rounds speaks volumes about Mcgregor. But jaysus dude, learn to keep your hands up.
Mcgreggor did as well as he could. But Floyd also looked old in there. When he mentioned on the promo trail that "he wasn't the fighter he was 2 years ago" he wasn't lying. A lot of boxers would have beaten him last night. A lot. Versus a prime Floyd this fight would have looked like the Canello fight but 5 times worse.
Old 08-27-17, 11:32 AM   #135
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

So was this last time we see such a big time boxing match? As a kid growing up in the 70's, boxing was huge. It's sad to see how far the sport has fallen.
Old 08-27-17, 02:35 PM   #136

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrush View Post
Mcgreggor did as well as he could. But Floyd also looked old in there. When he mentioned on the promo trail that "he wasn't the fighter he was 2 years ago" he wasn't lying. A lot of boxers would have beaten him last night. A lot. Versus a prime Floyd this fight would have looked like the Canello fight but 5 times worse.
he didn't really look old. He did what he wanted. Floyd was walking Connor down and not really defending like he normally does - he had zero regard for anything Connor could possibly throw. People are acting like Connor forced Mayweather into a 10 round fight, no... Floyd carried Connor for 6-7 rounds then decided to end it.
Old 08-27-17, 05:45 PM   #137
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
So was this last time we see such a big time boxing match? As a kid growing up in the 70's, boxing was huge. It's sad to see how far the sport has fallen.
Mayweather vs Manny in 2015 though the fight sucked.

Canelo vs GGG is a big one but that only true boxing fans will care about.

Showtime will air the replay next Sat at 6pm or 9pm depending where you live.

Last edited by JeffTheAlpaca; 08-27-17 at 06:09 PM.
Old 08-27-17, 06:17 PM   #138
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezln94 View Post
he didn't really look old. He did what he wanted. Floyd was walking Connor down and not really defending like he normally does - he had zero regard for anything Connor could possibly throw. People are acting like Connor forced Mayweather into a 10 round fight, no... Floyd carried Connor for 6-7 rounds then decided to end it.
That is exactly what happened. I did enjoy it for what it was even though I think I may have stated I would not watch it. $10 at a bar was too good to pass up.
Old 08-27-17, 06:45 PM   #139
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I didn't buy the fight because $100 was outrageous but I followed it on Twitter while I was out last night.

While this was a ginned up spectacle, hasn't Boxing been like this since Don King essentially took over the sport in the 80's?

I was a huge Boxing fan growing up (still remember the anticipation of Hagler/Leonard was as big as the Super Bowl back in 1987). But the 90's is when the sport became more about the 'spectacle' then the match.

A 40+ year old Larry Holmes fighting Holyfield for the title was a joke. Golota/Bowe I & II ending disqualifications because of endless lowblows. Oliver McCall not fighting Lennox Lewis and essentially quitting midmatch in tears. And the last PPV I ever bought was Tyson/Holyfield II where he bit his ear off. This match just seemed like more of the same with Boxing so I don't know why so many have complained.
Old 08-27-17, 06:52 PM   #140
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel Motes View Post
Conor McGregor lasted 9 rounds and didn't get embarrassed. I'm sure he's taking this as a win.

The problem Conor has in boxing is the same one he has in MMA, his gas tank.

If I were him I would take 10 of that 100 million and dedicate my life to strength and conditioning. He should eat sleep and breathe cardio. If Conor didn't gas tonight after 4 rounds, I think Floyd would have still won, but it would have been super competitive.
Mike Tyson was the same. After a few rounds he would be out of gas.
Old 08-27-17, 07:22 PM   #141
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic View Post
Mike Tyson was the same. After a few rounds he would be out of gas.
Actually, one of the most entertaining Tyson fights was when he went 12 rounds with Razor Ruddick 2 in 1991 and won on decision. That fight showed he could box without going for the knockout every match.

I don't think the problem with Tyson was stamina or even his chin, but the eventual undoing of his career was his size. He was 5'11" and just couldn't stand toe to toe and jab with 6'3" or 6'5" guys like Buster Douglas, Holyfield and Lewis. Those guys just jabbed the hell out of him and just wore him out as he was usually done by the 10th round. Once Tyson lost that aura of invincibility like Rhonda Rousey then boxers became more aggressive with him.

Mayweather just isn't a knockout fighter as he is going to meticulously beat you so McGregor had a chance to go toe to toe for awhile.
Old 08-28-17, 07:05 AM   #142

Mike Tyson's biggest problem was Cus D'Amato dying, his shitty childhood and fame and money going to his head.

I think Tyson had the skill and athleticism to beat everyone he ever faced. Even Lewis and Holyfield. Mentally, he had already checked out when he fought them. And he was waaaay out of hid prime when he fought Lewis.
Old 08-28-17, 07:31 AM   #143
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel Motes View Post
Mike Tyson's biggest problem was Cus D'Amato dying, his shitty childhood and fame and money going to his head.

I think Tyson had the skill and athleticism to beat everyone he ever faced. Even Lewis and Holyfield. Mentally, he had already checked out when he fought them. And he was waaaay out of hid prime when he fought Lewis.
I don't want to derail this thread into a Mike Tyson thread, but I think Tyson was a one trick pony that eventually was exposed. I say this as a HUGE Mike Tyson fan in the 80's watching every fight on HBO and PPV. I honestly thought he was going to go 70-0 and be the greatest boxer ever.

Now I agree that fame and money and the loss of Cus did affect him (along with going to jail in his prime). But he (just like Rhonda Rousey) won so many fights just on their aura of invincibility before Buster Douglas. Michael Spinks didn't want any part of Tyson as he was scared the second he walked into that ring. Plus Tyson fought a lot of crap to rise to the title (not his fault as the Heavyweight division was bad post-Larry Holmes). Who did Tyson really beat to ascend to his title? Trevor Berbick?

Once he started to face real competition (Holyfield, Buster Douglas, etc,) he was exposed as a one trick pony. If Tyson didn't knock you out, then he wasn't some great fighter that could win on points like a Muhammed Ali could do throughout his career. Trust me I bought into the Tyson hype in the 80's, but I believe his reign as Champion from 1986-90 was one of the most overrated things in the history of sports.

Last edited by mcnabb; 08-28-17 at 08:50 AM.
Old 08-28-17, 08:43 AM   #144
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think Tyson was more than a one trick pony. He hit like a truck, was probably faster than anyone who has ever boxed at HW. At his peak his movement made him extremely difficult to hit. He was also good at cutting the ring off and getting inside of longer fighters. On the other hand he was also kinda overrated. I dont think any version of Tyson beats prime Lennox Lewis.
Old 08-28-17, 12:24 PM   #145
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

What in the world is going on here lol?

A prime Tyson (86-89/90) beats every heavyweight ever. Even people like George Foreman and Evander Holyfield agree on that. That being said, his issue was a failure to take to the sport seriously and evolve. Four week training camps intermingled with cocaine fueled weekends didn't help either. He was Jon Jones before Jon Jones was Jon Jones.
Old 08-28-17, 01:23 PM   #146
DVD Talk Special Edition

Tyson was an incredible boxer who (by his own admission) hated everything about boxing. I think after a few years that just wore him down and once that happened he was done.
I would have loved to see a prime-era Tyson vs. a prime-era Ali or Foreman.
Old 08-28-17, 02:06 PM   #147
DVD Talk Legend

Prime Tyson training under Cus was the most dangerous thing to ever step foot into the ring.

Mayweather did look old in the fight, he looked like a boxer that had gotten out of condition and had never planned on fighting again until this McGregor match came about. He used his superior boxing experience and skills to wear McGregor out.

Mayweather did look like he was turning his back to entrap McGregor into a disqualification. The ref did nothing to stop that and it was a cheap tactic by Mayweather.

I think a younger Mayweather would have won in 4 or 5 rounds. McGregor lost his conditioning after the fifth or sixth round.

Over 5000 Blu-rays ranked by pure video quality.
Old 08-28-17, 02:45 PM   #148
DVD Talk Legend

This fight was ridiculously bad. Connor never had his hands up. If he fought against a puncher he would have lost in 30 seconds. He was slow, deliberate, and Floyd just played with him. There is no reason to give Connor any respect for this fight.

http://www.invelos.com/dvdcollection.aspx/cwrujosh
Old 08-28-17, 03:59 PM   #149
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think they cut the part where Sharpe called MMA fans, 'GAY'
Old 08-28-17, 11:04 PM   #150

If Floyd Mayweather is smart, he'll fight Conor in MMA for the UFC. He'll obviously lose. BUT. He'd probably make a cool 100 million. And there is no way it could tarnish his legacy. He went 50-0 in boxing. His Hall of Fame career is set in stone. If a 40 year old Mayweather lost his first MMA fight, it would mean nothing. No one would care because he's not an MMA fighter. Just like Conor isn't a boxer and no one gives a shit that he lost to Floyd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnabb View Post
I don't want to derail this thread into a Mike Tyson thread, but I think Tyson was a one trick pony that eventually was exposed. I say this as a HUGE Mike Tyson fan in the 80's watching every fight on HBO and PPV. I honestly thought he was going to go 70-0 and be the greatest boxer ever.

Now I agree that fame and money and the loss of Cus did affect him (along with going to jail in his prime). But he (just like Rhonda Rousey) won so many fights just on their aura of invincibility before Buster Douglas. Michael Spinks didn't want any part of Tyson as he was scared the second he walked into that ring. Plus Tyson fought a lot of crap to rise to the title (not his fault as the Heavyweight division was bad post-Larry Holmes). Who did Tyson really beat to ascend to his title? Trevor Berbick?

Once he started to face real competition (Holyfield, Buster Douglas, etc,) he was exposed as a one trick pony. If Tyson didn't knock you out, then he wasn't some great fighter that could win on points like a Muhammed Ali could do throughout his career. Trust me I bought into the Tyson hype in the 80's, but I believe his reign as Champion from 1986-90 was one of the most overrated things in the history of sports.

It's one of those "what if" things to me. If Tyson didn't self destruct, who knows what could have happened, and how far he could have gone. You might be right or I might be right. It is what it is. The real shame is that we never got to find out what a prime, focused Mike Tyson would have looked like against Lewis and Holyfield.