DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Old 04-13-17, 12:10 PM   #1
DVD Talk Hero

2017 NBA Off-Season Thread

Lakers fans can continue their discussion here.
Challenges: Action 2017 | Academy Award 2017 | TV on DVD* 2017 | Holiday 2016 | Comedy 2016 | Horror 2016 | Criterion 2016 | Animation 2016 | Sci-Fi 2016 | Historical 2016 | Make-Your-Own 2016 | Drive-In 2016 | Leap Day 2016
Old 04-13-17, 12:16 PM   #2
DVD Talk Legend

Re: 2017 NBA Off-Season Thread

Jokes like that will never get old for me.

"we get paid for butt time" - mosquitobite

"It felt much more comfortable when I was trying them on. No sharp edge poking my skin." - Buford T. Pusser
Old 04-13-17, 01:18 PM   #3
DVD Talk Hero

Okay, I will talk something different.

I am really curious about what the Celtics will be doing with the top pick and how it impacts their guard situation.

Isaiah Thomas had a career year and was one of the top scorers and top PG's in the league. But, he's an UFA after 2017-18.

He's 28 years old and will be 29 at the end of his contract year. Do the C's give him a max 5-year deal and lock him up long-term? With one of the top picks, there is no way they can pass on Fultz or Ball. Do they draft one of those guys as the guard of the future and let Thomas walk after next season? I would be hard pressed to let a 29 PPG scorer bail for nothing. He's going to be playing for a huge deal next season.

Then if you do give him a huge deal and keep him, but draft Fultz or Ball. So are they going to ride the pine and play only 15-20 minutes per game? I know Ball wants to be a starter right away coming into the league. His Dad would probably lose him mind seeing his kid ride the pine as a backup to Thomas.
Old 04-13-17, 01:19 PM   #4
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidh777 View Post
Lakers fans can continue their discussion here.
In all the years I've been starting Off-Season threads, I've adhered to the unwritten rule of always staring with a legitimate news story. You chose to start one with just an unnecessary taunt. That's very uncharacteristic for you and a bad-karma move for a fan of a Playoff-bound team, especially one that has looked pretty shaky the past several weeks.

If you happen to see in the NBA Playoffs Thread, a single-word post like this :
Quote:
KARMA!
after an unexpected upset in the first or second round of the playoffs, you will now have the context for that post.

In actual NBA news, the Orlando Magic have fired GM Rob Hennigan after five seasons without a playoff appearance. Makes sense, that trade for Ibaka was such a disaster.
Old 04-13-17, 01:23 PM   #5
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decker View Post
In all the years I've been starting Off-Season threads, I've adhered to the unwritten rule of always staring with a legitimate news story. You chose to start one with just an unnecessary taunt. That's very uncharacteristic for you and a bad-karma move for a fan of a Playoff-bound team, especially one that has looked pretty shaky the past several weeks.

If you happen to see in the NBA Playoffs Thread, a single-word post like this :

after an unexpected upset in the first or second round of the playoffs, you will now have the context for that post.

In actual NBA news, the Orlando Magic have fired GM Rob Hennigan after five seasons without a playoff appearance. Makes sense, that trade for Ibaka was such a disaster.
Sorry, I didn't know that unwritten rule. I thought about using a news story, but didn't know any off the top of my head and figured I'd just start the thread rather than wait. But lesson learned: If the Celtics go out quickly, I'll know it was my fault.
Challenges: Action 2017 | Academy Award 2017 | TV on DVD* 2017 | Holiday 2016 | Comedy 2016 | Horror 2016 | Criterion 2016 | Animation 2016 | Sci-Fi 2016 | Historical 2016 | Make-Your-Own 2016 | Drive-In 2016 | Leap Day 2016
Old 04-13-17, 01:26 PM   #6
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
Okay, I will talk something different.

I am really curious about what the Celtics will be doing with the top pick and how it impacts their guard situation.

Isaiah Thomas had a career year and was one of the top scorers and top PG's in the league. But, he's an UFA after 2017-18.

He's 28 years old and will be 29 at the end of his contract year. Do the C's give him a max 5-year deal and lock him up long-term? With one of the top picks, there is no way they can pass on Fultz or Ball. Do they draft one of those guys as the guard of the future and let Thomas walk after next season? I would be hard pressed to let a 29 PPG scorer bail for nothing. He's going to be playing for a huge deal next season.

Then if you do give him a huge deal and keep him, but draft Fultz or Ball. So are they going to ride the pine and play only 15-20 minutes per game? I know Ball wants to be a starter right away coming into the league. His Dad would probably lose him mind seeing his kid ride the pine as a backup to Thomas.

I put my thoughts in the other regular season thread (also screw you Celtics fan, your season ain't over yet!). I don't think you can draft Ball if at all possible, because I doubt he and Isaiah can play well together and you're going to hear it from dad all the time in the media. Fultz you could probably put together with him, then evaluate near the trade deadline. But if you miss out on Fultz I'd think it makes more sense to trade down slightly to someone who's desperate for Ball, and pick up either SF available in the top 5.

I know he's playing out of his mind and the top of the East looks pretty weak right now, but I just don't see paying Thomas and Horford max money (and paying Avery Bradley and perhaps Crowder big bucks too) as a championship contender, even with this year's pick and next year's Brooklyn pick. But then I didn't think there was any way they'd win the number one seed in the conference this year either.
Old 04-13-17, 01:28 PM   #7
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidh777 View Post
Sorry, I didn't know that unwritten rule. I thought about using a news story, but didn't know any off the top of my head and figured I'd just start the thread rather than wait. But lesson learned: If the Celtics go out quickly, I'll know it was my fault.
To be fair I kinda started it in the regular season thread with my Lakers comment about an offseason thread being needed.
Old 04-13-17, 01:38 PM   #8
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
To be fair I kinda started it in the regular season thread with my Lakers comment about an offseason thread being needed.
I wasn't going to throw you under the bus, but I rarely start NBA threads and hadn't even thought of the off-season thread till you mentioned it. Another lesson learned: Don't start NBA threads.
Old 04-13-17, 01:42 PM   #9
DVD Talk Legend

It's hard to speculate just yet, as we don't know the actual number of the pick, but I think all options are on the table for Danny. I know he wants an established star (probably Hayward) but if he has to trade for that star (Butler, George, ???), he could use the pick to do that. I agree with fujishig, it's hard to see them paying Thomas, Crowder, Bradley all big $$$. Because as good as those guys are, they're not putting the Cs over the top.

Thomas probably has high trade value right now, as he is dirt cheap for the next year. If they can lure a big FA, and get the top pick, I could see trading him and maybe one of the Bradley/Crowder gang. Smart can eat up more minutes, Brown will presumably improve too.

"It felt much more comfortable when I was trying them on. No sharp edge poking my skin." - Buford T. Pusser
Old 04-13-17, 02:11 PM   #10
DVD Talk Godfather

There's unwritten rules here? Even as a Lakers fan on the recieving end that sounds funny. I hope Decker was just being a smart ass

And of course you can GFY. -chess
Old 04-13-17, 02:22 PM   #11
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post
There's unwritten rules here? Even as a Lakers fan on the recieving end that sounds funny. I hope Decker was just being a smart ass
Smart ass? That doesn't sound like me!

I guess my point was a little misconstrued -- I don't mind someone starting a new thread, it just seemed like a bad-karma move to open with a taunt. I promise you as a Laker fan, I would not have done the same had the tables been turned, no matter how much Schadenfreude I was actually feeling.
Old 04-13-17, 03:30 PM   #12
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decker View Post
Smart ass? That doesn't sound like me!

I guess my point was a little misconstrued -- I don't mind someone starting a new thread, it just seemed like a bad-karma move to open with a taunt. I promise you as a Laker fan, I would not have done the same had the tables been turned, no matter how much Schadenfreude I was actually feeling.
Well, you almost did it two threads ago:

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/sports-talk...on-thread.html

It really is like deja vu, though the odds are much worse now.

Quote:
Lakers fans will be sweating out the lottery... Still a 17.8 percent chance two teams leapfrog them and they have to give up their pick, which would really make this a lost season. They still have Houston's pick though.
I said that 2 years ago. And they still have Houston's pick this year too! Also laughing at the comment that if the Lakers and Knicks weren't picks 1 and 2, then Towns and Okafor would be spared going to trainwreck franchises.
Old 04-13-17, 03:47 PM   #13
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Well, you almost did it two threads ago:

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/sports-talk...on-thread.html
Oh snap!

Old 04-13-17, 03:48 PM   #14
DVD Talk Legend

and I'm not concerned about karma where gloating at the Lakers misfortune is in play.

Old 04-13-17, 06:51 PM   #15
DVD Talk Hero

Congrats to Washington Husky Kelsey Plum for being the top pick in the WNBA draft! That's my obligatory WNBA post for the year.
Old 04-13-17, 10:55 PM   #16
DVD Talk Gold Edition

You all are fools if any of you think IT is being traded next year or just going to let him walk. He is the LIFE of the Celtics. He would be MVP if not for the triple doubles that Harden and Westbrook have put up (look at the numbers IT puts up in the 4th and what the Celtics do without him). You keep the pick, let IT walk, you are basically doing another rebuilding and need to get rid of Horford. Best best, you draft a big guy and sign Hayward or you trade for a Paul George or Butler type player. You need one more scorer (keeps pressure off of IT) and another big man if they want to think about contending with the Cavs.
Old 04-13-17, 11:31 PM   #17
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Funny, Lakers have the second-worst record in the West and the Celtics have the best record in the East.
Old 04-14-17, 05:11 PM   #18
DVD Talk Legend

Phil flat out admits that the Knicks will trade Melo. Even if everyone knows it, why would you say that? Why not create at least a semblance of "we're happy with him on our team" in order to not be so over a barrel in trade talks?

Old 04-14-17, 05:54 PM   #19
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by LurkerDan View Post
Phil flat out admits that the Knicks will trade Melo. Even if everyone knows it, why would you say that? Why not create at least a semblance of "we're happy with him on our team" in order to not be so over a barrel in trade talks?
The same reason he would criticize him in the middle of the season. He's crazy.

But Melo has a no trade clause, so they would be over a barrel anyway.
Old 04-14-17, 07:54 PM   #20
MrX
DVD Talk Legend

Porzingis skipped his end of the year meeting with NYK management.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

My Countdown Counting down to: Summer Vacation
Old 04-14-17, 09:00 PM   #21
DVD Talk God

Hope suns get one of top 2 picks and Lakers fall to 4th or lower so they lose the pick. Win/win
John Henson: McDonald's has dumped Kobe Bryant as their spokesperson and have replaced him with Yao Ming. Apparently McDonald's prefers Yao because he is a bigger international star, and he doesn't rape so much.

"You are everything that's wrong with this forum".---SleepyW
Old 04-15-17, 09:02 AM   #22
DVD Talk Legend

Suns are another team that basically needs any position but guard, though.
Old 04-15-17, 09:36 AM   #23
DVD Talk God

Quote:
Suns are another team that basically needs any position but guard, though.
Eric Bledsoe will be traded
John Henson: McDonald's has dumped Kobe Bryant as their spokesperson and have replaced him with Yao Ming. Apparently McDonald's prefers Yao because he is a bigger international star, and he doesn't rape so much.

"You are everything that's wrong with this forum".---SleepyW
Old 04-15-17, 01:08 PM   #24
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deftones View Post
Eric Bledsoe will be traded
Most likely. Knight is definitely gone. They would take Ball or Fultz over either of them in a heartbeat. They want a young point to match up with Booker.
Old 04-16-17, 12:05 AM   #25
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
The same reason he would criticize him in the middle of the season. He's crazy.

But Melo has a no trade clause, so they would be over a barrel anyway.
Now the NBA players association is getting involved because of Phil's unprofessionalism.