Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Old 05-17-17, 12:12 AM   #126
DVD Talk Godfather

Re: 2017 NBA Off-Season Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
I just realized the 76ers will probably take Jackson or Tatum, another small forward. They miss out on the top two pg prospects, but unless they trade down probably can't justify the third pg in the draft at three. But they really really need a point guard. Oh well at least it's not another center.
I don't pay attention to college basketball, but it seems like a lot of folks are interested in De'Aaron Fox after the NCAA tourney. ESPN's mock draft has them taking Malik Monk. I think there's a good chance they do take a guard.

And of course you can GFY. -chess
Old 05-17-17, 01:00 AM   #127
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I can't wait till Lavar demands that he gets Jack's seat at Laker games.
Old 05-17-17, 07:34 AM   #128
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:

I just realized the 76ers will probably take Jackson or Tatum, another small forward. They miss out on the top two pg prospects, but unless they trade down probably can't justify the third pg in the draft at three. But they really really need a point guard. Oh well at least it's not another center.
The Sixers have already stated that Ben Simmons will be their full-time PG next year (whether it works out or not is another argument). I see them taking a SG or SF at #3, someone who can play off the ball.

I watched Simmons in College and Summer League last year, and he needs the ball in his hand to be effective. He is not a great shooter, but he is a great passer and being 6'10" he is able to see the whole court (in many ways like Magic Johnson). The big question is will Simmons be able to cover smaller guards in the NBA at his size?
Old 05-17-17, 09:05 AM   #129
DVD Talk Hero

What's really interesting is how split (and close) it is between the two top PGs.
ESPN Insider did a thing at the very end of the season where they asked the projected 14 Lottery Teams to see who they'd take at #1 (they had the Pacers at 14 instead of the Heat) and the results were evenly split.

Ball : Phoenix (strong lean), Lakers (strong lean), Kings (who couldn't take at #1 regardless due to that trade with the Sixers), Mavericks, Pelicans, Pistons (slight lean), Nuggets.

Fultz : Celtics (but it's super-close), Magic (under their old GM), Sixers, Knicks, Timberwolves, Hornets, Pacers (who climbed out of the Lottery)

The Article was dated April 6, before the LaVar Ball media tour and all the attention that drummed up. I imagine more teams would have gone Fultz if given a choice after that. Still it's interesting to see how evenly the camps are split on this call. Can't remember a time when two top picks were so hard to choose between. Maybe Durant/Oden -- but of course they were completely different sort of players. Having them both be PG makes it a much more interesting comparison.

GAME CENTER ID : DECKER 01

I haven't seen Evil Dead 2.....yet.
Old 05-17-17, 09:48 AM   #130
DVD Talk Godfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnabb View Post
The Sixers have already stated that Ben Simmons will be their full-time PG next year (whether it works out or not is another argument). I see them taking a SG or SF at #3, someone who can play off the ball.

I watched Simmons in College and Summer League last year, and he needs the ball in his hand to be effective. He is not a great shooter, but he is a great passer and being 6'10" he is able to see the whole court (in many ways like Magic Johnson). The big question is will Simmons be able to cover smaller guards in the NBA at his size?
I don't see why he would be covering guards; just because they want him to handle the ball doesn't mean he'd line up against the opposing team's guards.

Old 05-17-17, 10:14 AM   #131
DVD Talk Hero

Celtics!

I was watching the unveiling but had to leave when they broke for commercial before the top three. So in the car, I tuned in to my local ESPN affiliate and listened to... five straight minutes of commercials. By that time it was after 6, so I switched to my Fox affiliate, and they said "You just heard the lottery results right here! Now on to our NBA playoff game coverage!"

Anyway, I expect and hope the Celtics will take Fultz. Take the best player and worry about the fit later.

Ball's dad is such a sideshow that I just wish he would realize he's hurting his son's reputation. I would love to see the Lakers pass on him just to see the reaction. Even better would be if he did an NFL-like plunge based on character concerns, but because the character isn't actually the player himself, and because guys of his potential impact are rare, he'll probably still go #2.
Challenges: Action 2017 | Academy Award 2017 | TV on DVD* 2017 | Holiday 2016 | Comedy 2016 | Horror 2016 | Criterion 2016 | Animation 2016 | Sci-Fi 2016 | Historical 2016 | Make-Your-Own 2016 | Drive-In 2016 | Leap Day 2016
Old 05-17-17, 10:20 AM   #132
DVD Talk Hero

So the Celtics pick Fultz and let Isaiah Thomas walk via free agency?

I get it, they have to pick him, but Thomas was like the best player in the Eastern conference this past season.
Old 05-17-17, 10:22 AM   #133
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
So the Celtics pick Fultz and let Isaiah Thomas walk via free agency?

I get it, they have to pick him, but Thomas was like the best player in the Eastern conference this past season.
Maybe. They have a year to figure out if they can play together, etc. I think Avery Bradley is also looking for a max so maybe he's the one who goes.
Challenges: Action 2017 | Academy Award 2017 | TV on DVD* 2017 | Holiday 2016 | Comedy 2016 | Horror 2016 | Criterion 2016 | Animation 2016 | Sci-Fi 2016 | Historical 2016 | Make-Your-Own 2016 | Drive-In 2016 | Leap Day 2016
Old 05-17-17, 10:30 AM   #134
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Probably would not happen, but say the Cavs takes care of the Celtics pretty easily like I think they should. Celtics trade the pick and a player to the Bulls for Butler thinking that can get them past the Cavs next year. I don't see how getting a PG this year and having Thomas would get them past the Cavs the next couple years. Butler is one of those guys that can actually guard Lebron enough to help you out to win. My Bulls need to start over as they are not going anywhere the way they are now, living in the middle pack with Lebron probably at least having 3 more solid years in him. Paxson/Gar keep talking like a big name free agent will come here, HA!
Old 05-17-17, 10:32 AM   #135
DVD Talk Godfather

I saw Bill Simmons mention it, but the Celtics and Lakers getting #1 and #2 definitely makes the stakes for Jimmy Butler and Paul George a lot more interesting.

Old 05-17-17, 10:42 AM   #136
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Fans seem to like the idea of the Celtics getting Fultz, but I think they would be far better off trading the pick to a team willing to give them George, Butler or another All-Star. And of course re-signing Isiah.
Old 05-17-17, 10:46 AM   #137
DVD Talk Legend

I'd rather have Fultz and Hayward then Butler or George.

I also think the Cs could swing a trade that didn't involve Fultz. They have the Nets pick next year, plus a list of very useful NBA players.

"we get paid for butt time" - mosquitobite

"It felt much more comfortable when I was trying them on. No sharp edge poking my skin." - Buford T. Pusser
Old 05-17-17, 10:54 AM   #138
DVD Talk Legend

If you want George, I don't see why you'd give up your top two pick when he's a free agent next year and Indiana has no leverage (if he's not all team NBA). The Celtics and Lakers are probably the top two teams he'd want to go to anyway, so unless they start a bidding war against each other I'm not sure who pays that price.

Butler I can see the Celts trading for, I agree he'd fit better and you don't have to wait for a rookie point to develop.

But isn't Fultz big enough to guard the two? Why can't he (or Ball) and Thomas play together? Regardless they have a year to figure it out.
Old 05-17-17, 10:55 AM   #139
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
If you want George, I don't see why you'd give up your top two pick when he's a free agent next year and Indiana has no leverage (if he's not all team NBA). The Celtics and Lakers are probably the top two teams he'd want to go to anyway, so unless they start a bidding war against each other I'm not sure who pays that price.

Isn't Fultz big enough to guard the two? Why can't he (or Ball) and Thomas play together? Regardless they have a year to figure it out.
I agree with all of that.

"we get paid for butt time" - mosquitobite

"It felt much more comfortable when I was trying them on. No sharp edge poking my skin." - Buford T. Pusser
Old 05-17-17, 10:59 AM   #140
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post
I don't see why he would be covering guards; just because they want him to handle the ball doesn't mean he'd line up against the opposing team's guards.
I agree as this was talked about when the Sixers had a glut of Big men, as I think Simmons will be covering the SF and PF.

Here is the projected Starting Lineup next year: Barring Injury

PG: Ben Simmons
SG: Lottery Pick or Free Agent
SF: Lottery Pick or Free Agent
PF: Dario Saric
C: Joel Embiid

If they get a SG in the draft, they will probably look for SF in Free Agency, or vice versa.
Old 05-17-17, 11:02 AM   #141
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
If you're the Lakers, you could wait the year. There's been so much buzz about him wanting to go there that you'd have to feel pretty good about your chances. But you would run the risk of him making 3rd Team All-NBA and then they'd be pretty much screwed.
The ceiling for Ball is so high, I just can't see them parting with him for George. But depending on their evaluation, I can imagine them trading away Russell or Ingram as well as Randall in a trade for George.

Old 05-17-17, 11:07 AM   #142
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Clearly if you trade for a player during the off-season, part of it all is the player singing a new long term deal.
Old 05-17-17, 11:14 AM   #143
DVD Talk Godfather

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Decker View Post
If you're the Lakers, you could wait the year. There's been so much buzz about him wanting to go there that you'd have to feel pretty good about your chances. But you would run the risk of him making 3rd Team All-NBA and then they'd be pretty much screwed.
The ceiling for Ball is so high, I just can't see them parting with him for George. But depending on their evaluation, I can imagine them trading away Russell or Ingram as well as Randall in a trade for George.
I imagine there's also the fear if George is traded elsewhere and likes another team enough to sign there, rather then risk waiting an entire year based off assumptions.

But yeah, i'd make the other young Lakers available. Apparently a lot of execs already called about Russell as soon as the Lakers got the #2 pick.

Old 05-17-17, 11:29 AM   #144
DVD Talk Limited Edition

kings ended up with 2 in the first 10 picks so that good.
Old 05-17-17, 11:40 AM   #145
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveNinja View Post
kings ended up with 2 in the first 10 picks so that good.
But the Kings gave away Boogie Cousins for Buddy Heild and the 10th pick, so that's bad.

And they would have had the 3rd pick but they agreed to swap it with the Sixers in this head-scratching trade :

Quote:
The Philadelphia 76ers and the Sacramento Kings executed a trade in July of 2015 in which the Sixers sent the rights to Arturas Gudaitis (the 47th pick in the 2015 draft) and Luka Mitrovic (60th pick) to the Sacramento Kings for Nik Stauskas, Jason Thompson, Carl Landry, the right (at the Sixers’ discretion) to swap first round picks with the Kings in both 2016 and 2017 drafts, as well as a future 1st round pick.
So that's not so great either.

But at least it's a really deep draft and you'll get Josh Jackson, Fox, Monk or Tatum at 5. Hard to really say that having 5 is that much worse than having 3 this year.

BTW : It really was the Celtic's year. Not only did they win the Lottery, they won the next two draws as well. It took until the fourth draw to get the Lakers' combination.

Old 05-17-17, 11:58 AM   #146
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post
I imagine there's also the fear if George is traded elsewhere and likes another team enough to sign there, rather then risk waiting an entire year based off assumptions.

I agree as the new CBA rules benefits a player who signs with his existing team. You can sign for more years and more money, so I think anyone trading for a Paul George who is at the end of their contract is going to want some handshake deal that he is going to re-sign with them.
Old 05-17-17, 12:14 PM   #147
DVD Talk Legend

I agree with acquiring George for pieces, I just don't agree that he's worth a Ball or Fultz with his current situation being what it is. Plus George has seen what happened to Carmelo in a similar situation, I'm not sure fleecing the team you're going to is all that great of a strategy if you really want to win. And no way the Lakers are doing anything without some kind of guarantee, even if that's technically illegal, after what happened with Dwight.

Celtics might be in enough of a win now mode, plus not wanting to tick off Isaiah, that trading the pick makes some sense for them, though they better be really sure they're just George away from a title. I doubted it before but after this playoffs they will have to max Thomas for sure. Horford has the max, add George or Butler and loose your prized rookie contract, and that's the team that has to play the ageless Lebron the next couple of years. Well, that plus the Nets pick in what looks to be another top heavy draft. Man Billy King really bent over backwards to get around the Stepien rules.

I think George needs to make all NBA this year to get the super max, I don't think next year counts or all this hubbub is for nothing.

Just looked at Ball's shot chart on the Ringer... the guy doesn't take any mid range shots at all. It's all from three or in the paint. Also all three of the projected top guys are terrible free throw shooters.

Last edited by fujishig; 05-17-17 at 12:23 PM.
Old 05-17-17, 12:48 PM   #148
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decker View Post
BTW : It really was the Celtic's year. Not only did they win the Lottery, they won the next two draws as well. It took until the fourth draw to get the Lakers' combination.
That's really interesting.... where did you get this information?

Has anyone seen Jonathan Isaac play? He's considered a Top 10 pick and he's the only one that's a complete mystery to me. Seems like he is all about projection which makes him a risky pick.
Old 05-17-17, 12:58 PM   #149
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinned View Post
That's really interesting.... where did you get this information?
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/1...une-lakers-now

And at 7:46 p.m., in a sequestered room where the drawing is held, Pelinka stared straight ahead into a watercooler-sized plexiglass drum, watching 14 whizzing pingpong balls that held his team's fate. In a slender blue suit and a purple tie, Pelinka sat as still as a stone, leaning forward -- "very nervous," said Boston Celtics co-owner Steve Pagliuca, who sat to Pelinka's right. Like Pelinka, this marked Pagliuca's first visit to the drawing room, but their moods stood at opposite ends, with Pagliuca leaning back, one arm draped over a nearby chair, smiling.

The first four balls were drawn from the drum -- 7-1-9-10 -- and read aloud. Then Jamin Dershowitz, assistant general counsel for the NBA, scanned nearby whiteboards to see which team owned that combination for the top pick. "Boston," Dershowitz announced, drawing fist pumps and a "Woo!" from Pagliuca. "I was shocked," Pagliuca would later add. He recalled the team's past lottery failings, costing them Tim Duncan and Kevin Durant. "We've lost so much," Pagliuca said. "You hope for the best but prepare for the worst. We got the best this time."

The Celtics' lottery win was ever more striking considering it came less than 24 hours after the team's thrilling Game 7 playoff win over Washington, advancing Boston to the Eastern Conference finals, where it opens the series at home against Cleveland on Wednesday. "If we beat Cleveland tomorrow, I might get on a flight straight to Las Vegas," Pagliuca later joked.

The next two combinations also favored the Celtics, forcing a do-over at each turn. On the fourth try, 14, 5, 3 and 12 arrived in succession. Again, Dershowitz scanned the whiteboards. "Lakers," he said after a beat. At 7:50 p.m., Pelinka clasped his hands together, as if in prayer, looked up to the heavens and quietly said "Yes!" after releasing a breath that he seemed to have been holding all night.

Old 05-17-17, 03:44 PM   #150
DVD Talk Hero

A team contending for the title gets a number one pick? When's the last time that happened?