DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Old 05-11-17, 04:29 PM   #76
DVD Talk Legend

Re: 2017 NBA Off-Season Thread

Mike Miller talked a bit about this yesterday. Though it doesn't apply to Isaiah necessarily, he said young players especially need a mentor just to teach them how to, well, behave, as well as how to react in situations, etc. I think It was mentioned that Kobe even got with Isaiah to break down game film and how to do that, which I'm sure is helpful too.

PTI also mentioned, and I agree, that the players reaching out to Kobe and getting responses are already superstars, he's not in there helping out Nick Young or anything.

Lavarr of course just said on the radio this morning that Lonzo doesn't need Kobe or anyone mentoring him. Man he's just cementing Fultz as the number one at this point, no matter who has the pick (except the Lakers apparently, because if you have a lot of young, impressionable talent, you certainly want a guy like Lavarr around).

Last edited by fujishig; 05-11-17 at 06:21 PM.
Old 05-11-17, 05:24 PM   #77
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post
If the only thing you can think of for someone to glean from another star player is how to hit a jump shot, I'd say you don't have a really strong grasp of other skills or fundamentals that can be worked on aside from physical talent. Even the article about Thomas' work with Kobe touched on specifics and breaking down film, and I know there's been stuff about Kobe or Lebron learning post moves from Hakeem.
ITA with what you posted, but there are opportunities to even improve skills by working with other experienced superstars. As the saying goes, playing in the pros is definitely a situation where many guys have to learn they are no longer the big fish in a small pond. And in the case of guys like Thomas, he definitely could get a lot of tips on how to succeed specifically from other shorter players.
Old 05-12-17, 01:17 AM   #78
DVD Talk Legend

Man Game of Zones is just on it. I almost feel bad for Brooklyn, Serge, and Hezonja.
Old 05-12-17, 05:46 AM   #79
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
Mike Miller talked a bit about this yesterday. Though it doesn't apply to Isaiah necessarily, he said young players especially need a mentor just to teach them how to, well, behave, as well as how to react in situations, etc. I think It was mentioned that Kobe even got with Isaiah to break down game film and how to do that, which I'm sure is helpful too.

).
Charles Barkley talked about this and how Moses Malone took him under his wing his rookie year in Philly. He taught him how to dress, how to talk to the media, and even how to fill up your time on days off. He said not everyone is as lucky as him, but having Dr. J and Moses as mentors helped him a lot as he was an All-Star by his 2nd year.
Old 05-16-17, 09:32 AM   #80
DVD Talk Hero

It's Judgement Day for the Lakers, folks. There's a 49% chance that they keep their Top-3 pick this year and get an outstanding player this year and part with two Second Rounders to the Magic (as well as the 2018 unportected First Rounder), and a 51% chance that they lose their pick #4-6 this year AND their unprotected First Rounder in 2019. But hey, we got a couple years out of Steve Nash, amirite?

I think I will be too nervous to watch. After bombing the NHL Lottery as bad as was possible, I figure I'm due for some good luck for a change.

GAME CENTER ID : DECKER 01

I haven't seen Evil Dead 2.....yet.
Old 05-16-17, 11:02 AM   #81
DVD Talk Godfather

Wearing a Brandon Ingram shirt today for good luck.

Also, this is interesting:

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/1...strated-attack

Quote:
Moses Malone Jr. filed an amendment to a civil lawsuit Monday, seeking damages from James Harden for allegedly orchestrating a beating last summer in retaliation for a Facebook post that offended the Houston Rockets star, Malone's attorney, George Farah, said.

Malone, the son of NBA legend Moses Malone, was beaten and robbed of jewelry by four armed men on June 25 outside V Live Houston, an after-hours strip club. Four men were arrested in connection with the assault, including Darian Blount, a security guard at the now-closed club.

A Facebook post published by Malone on June 24 criticized Harden for charging $249 for his basketball camp, which Malone said shut out inner-city children. Farah, who represents Malone, said the Facebook post was referenced during the beating and robbery.

"All the stories that we've heard from all the witnesses were pretty consistent that James Harden was pretty upset about the Facebook post that was posted the night before the attack," Farah told ESPN on Tuesday morning. "There were text messages between Moses and some of James Harden's friends. ... We have a good trail of evidence that leads to James Harden's involvement to this."

And of course you can GFY. -chess
Old 05-16-17, 11:31 AM   #82
DVD Talk Hero

Crossing my fingers. Hopefully good karma is on their side.
Old 05-16-17, 01:09 PM   #83
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The Sixers actually hold a 'Lottery Party' for the fans to watch at this local bar by the stadium. This has been the only day of the year our fanbase gets excited for the past 4 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
Crossing my fingers. Hopefully good karma is on their side.
I would be utterly shocked if the Lakers pick slips to #4 and we get it (Sorry guys but I'm a conspiracy theorist). Pretty much the fanbase is reserved to the fact that we will get the Lakers pick next year when it's unprotected.
Old 05-16-17, 01:33 PM   #84
DVD Talk Legend

Man to be a Celtics fan. Game 7 win yesterday to get to the conference finals, today the highest odds of getting the number one pick. If they're able to move other assets (besides their number one this year) for PG, yikes.
Old 05-16-17, 01:57 PM   #85
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
Man to be a Celtics fan. Game 7 win yesterday to get to the conference finals, today the highest odds of getting the number one pick. If they're able to move other assets (besides their number one this year) for PG, yikes.
Well, they traditionally have horrible luck in the lottery, and no one will give them a chance against the Cavs, but yeah, it's good to be a fan for the next few hours at least.
Challenges: Action 2017 | Academy Award 2017 | TV on DVD* 2017 | Holiday 2016 | Comedy 2016 | Horror 2016 | Criterion 2016 | Animation 2016 | Sci-Fi 2016 | Historical 2016 | Make-Your-Own 2016 | Drive-In 2016 | Leap Day 2016
Old 05-16-17, 02:43 PM   #86
DVD Talk Legend

Heck, I didn't give them a chance to win against Rondo and the Bulls after two games, or even against Washington after four (they split them but Washington looked like the better team... who knew secret weapon Kelly Olynk was waiting in the wings). And I certainly never thought they'd be top seed in the East. So it's been a good year for fans.

And again, I'm a Clipper fan. I don't even have anything to look forward to today besides my interest in the Lakers.
Old 05-16-17, 02:54 PM   #87
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, things are definitely looking up. They'll get a high pick regardless, and have other good picks in the hopper, they have talented young players and a top coach, and I didn't expect them to be this successful this year. This is one of the better times to be a Celtics fan since the '80s ended.
Challenges: Action 2017 | Academy Award 2017 | TV on DVD* 2017 | Holiday 2016 | Comedy 2016 | Horror 2016 | Criterion 2016 | Animation 2016 | Sci-Fi 2016 | Historical 2016 | Make-Your-Own 2016 | Drive-In 2016 | Leap Day 2016
Old 05-16-17, 04:07 PM   #88
DVD Talk Legend

As a Cs fan, I'm happy. Everything's coming up Millhouse!

"we get paid for butt time" - mosquitobite

"It felt much more comfortable when I was trying them on. No sharp edge poking my skin." - Buford T. Pusser
Old 05-16-17, 04:56 PM   #89
DVD Talk God

Hopefully the Lakers get 4 or below and lose their pick!
John Henson: McDonald's has dumped Kobe Bryant as their spokesperson and have replaced him with Yao Ming. Apparently McDonald's prefers Yao because he is a bigger international star, and he doesn't rape so much.

"You are everything that's wrong with this forum".---SleepyW
Old 05-16-17, 04:58 PM   #90
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deftones View Post
Hopefully the Lakers get 4 or below and lose their pick!
Hopefully you step in dog shit on the way home!

GAME CENTER ID : DECKER 01

I haven't seen Evil Dead 2.....yet.
Old 05-16-17, 05:12 PM   #91
DVD Talk God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decker View Post
Hopefully you step in dog shit on the way home!
I worked from home all day!
John Henson: McDonald's has dumped Kobe Bryant as their spokesperson and have replaced him with Yao Ming. Apparently McDonald's prefers Yao because he is a bigger international star, and he doesn't rape so much.

"You are everything that's wrong with this forum".---SleepyW
Old 05-16-17, 07:22 PM   #92
DVD Talk Gold Edition

is there even any good player to pick from?
Old 05-16-17, 07:26 PM   #93
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidlynchfan View Post
is there even any good player to pick from?
Ball from UCLA and Fultz from Washington are considered the Top 2 picks.
Old 05-16-17, 07:30 PM   #94
DVD Talk Legend

The top Four or five picks are considered great prospects, and someone said on the radio today that someone picked in the 20s could still be a decent starter in the league depending on situation. We'll see though. If Lakers get fourth man there will be some celebration in Philly, especially considering how many point guards there are. But of course they'll pick another center.

I am kind of shocked Lavarr Ball is not there promoting his brand. I mean his kid.
Old 05-16-17, 07:37 PM   #95
DVD Talk Hero

Just said a quick prayer.
Old 05-16-17, 07:42 PM   #96
DVD Talk Legend

Embiid sitting right next to Magic too. Let's see if we have a La la Land/Steve Harvey moment.
Old 05-16-17, 07:47 PM   #97
DVD Talk Hero

I don't think I've ever been this nervous watching the Draft Lottery.
Old 05-16-17, 07:50 PM   #98
DVD Talk Legend

So NO didn't jump up. So close. Embiid looks so confused. Philly has a top 3.

Woah, Lakers keep it.
Old 05-16-17, 07:52 PM   #99
DVD Talk Hero

Yes!!!
Old 05-16-17, 07:55 PM   #100
DVD Talk Legend

Welcome to the Lakers, Lonzo.

Celtics/Lakers 1 and 2. Let the conspiracy theories resume.