Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Old 07-14-17, 05:50 PM   #851
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: 2017 NBA Off-Season Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Questyen View Post
Well there goes the Spurs best bench guy. Simmons just signed with the Magic.
LOL, he was not their best bench guy.
Old 07-14-17, 06:43 PM   #852
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decker View Post

I thought about going to the game when I heard Ball would be playing but thought it was too hot to drive over.
....Maybe on Friday?
I decided to go catch some Lonzo fever tomorrow. Will try to make most of the Celtics/Mavs game. Looking forward to Tatum vs Smith Jr - two of the best players this year. Then will stay in my seat for Lakers - Nets. They better not sit out Lonzo with a "groin pull" now that I've bought my ticket!

Speaking of which, that ticket is a very reasonable $30. Then they add $7.95 in "fees", a $3.75 "Order Charge" and most infuriatingly, a $2.50 "Delivery Fee" to print my ticket at home (I did get the option of paying $3.50 for a phone PDF to scan instead). Suddenly my $30 cost $45! That is some bullshit right there.

GAME CENTER ID : DECKER 01

I haven't seen Evil Dead 2.....yet.
Old 07-14-17, 07:33 PM   #853
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyhead55 View Post
In your wrong opinion who was?
Old 07-14-17, 07:38 PM   #854
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
I decided to go catch some Lonzo fever tomorrow. Will try to make most of the Celtics/Mavs game. Looking forward to Tatum vs Smith Jr - two of the best players this year. Then will stay in my seat for Lakers - Nets. They better not sit out Lonzo with a "groin pull" now that I've bought my ticket!

Speaking of which, that ticket is a very reasonable $30. Then they add $7.95 in "fees", a $3.75 "Order Charge" and most infuriatingly, a $2.50 "Delivery Fee" to print my ticket at home (I did get the option of paying $3.50 for a phone PDF to scan instead). Suddenly my $30 cost $45! That is some bullshit right there.
Have fun! But yeah, if you're going to charge people for printing at home, at least change the fee name!
Challenges: Action 2017 | Academy Award 2017 | TV on DVD* 2017 | Holiday 2016 | Comedy 2016 | Horror 2016 | Criterion 2016 | Animation 2016 | Sci-Fi 2016 | Historical 2016 | Make-Your-Own 2016 | Drive-In 2016 | Leap Day 2016
Old 07-14-17, 08:07 PM   #855
DVD Talk Godfather

Quote:
Well there goes the Spurs best bench guy. Simmons just signed with the Magic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyhead55 View Post
Quote:
In your wrong opinion who was?
Piquing my curiosity and looking at the stats:

Jonathan Simmons averaged 6.2 PPG, 2.1 REB, and 1.6 AST in 17.8 MPG. Not that i'm a big fan of PER, but it was a miserable 9.9.

Other Spurs:

Patty Mills - 9.5 PPG, 1.8 REB, 3.5 AST in 21.9 MPG. PER of 15.3
Manu Ginobili - 7.5 PPG, 2.3 REB, 2.7 AST in 18.7 MPG. PER of 13.9
David Lee - 7.3 PPG, 5.6 REB, 1.6 AST in 18.7 MPG. PER of 18.5
Kyle Anderson - 3.4 PPG, 2.9 REB, 1.3 AST in 14.2 MPG. PER of 12.6
David Bertans - 4.5 PPG, 1.5 REB, .7 AST in 12.1 MPG. PER of 12.9

Gasol and Dedmon split starting Center duties, not sure which person you would consider as coming off the bench but probably Dedmon based on minutes.

Pau Gasol - 12.4 PPG, 7.8 REB, 2.3 AST in 25.4 MPG. PER of 20.2
Dewayne Dedmon - 5.1 PPG, 6.5 REB, .6 AST in 17.5 MPG. PER of 16.0

You could probably make a case that Simmons is/was one of the least effective bench players on the Spurs. I'd think Mills/Lee/Manu were easily better, even if inconsistent, during the regular season.

Simmons had a decent post season run though, so maybe a case could be made if that was the basis. Although injuries would also throw some numbers/stats out of whack.

Not that I watched that a whole lot of Spurs games, but at a glance I don't think i'd call him their "best bench guy." Not sure what the rest of DVDTalkers think. Anyway, that was fun!

And of course you can GFY. -chess

Last edited by fumanstan; 07-14-17 at 08:14 PM.
Old 07-14-17, 08:32 PM   #856
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post
Piquing my curiosity and looking at the stats:

Jonathan Simmons averaged 6.2 PPG, 2.1 REB, and 1.6 AST in 17.8 MPG. Not that i'm a big fan of PER, but it was a miserable 9.9.

Other Spurs:

Patty Mills - 9.5 PPG, 1.8 REB, 3.5 AST in 21.9 MPG. PER of 15.3
Manu Ginobili - 7.5 PPG, 2.3 REB, 2.7 AST in 18.7 MPG. PER of 13.9
David Lee - 7.3 PPG, 5.6 REB, 1.6 AST in 18.7 MPG. PER of 18.5
Kyle Anderson - 3.4 PPG, 2.9 REB, 1.3 AST in 14.2 MPG. PER of 12.6
David Bertans - 4.5 PPG, 1.5 REB, .7 AST in 12.1 MPG. PER of 12.9

Gasol and Dedmon split starting Center duties, not sure which person you would consider as coming off the bench but probably Dedmon based on minutes.

Pau Gasol - 12.4 PPG, 7.8 REB, 2.3 AST in 25.4 MPG. PER of 20.2
Dewayne Dedmon - 5.1 PPG, 6.5 REB, .6 AST in 17.5 MPG. PER of 16.0

You could probably make a case that Simmons is/was one of the least effective bench players on the Spurs. I'd think Mills/Lee/Manu were easily better, even if inconsistent, during the regular season.

Simmons had a decent post season run though, so maybe a case could be made if that was the basis. Although injuries would also throw some numbers/stats out of whack.

Not that I watched that a whole lot of Spurs games, but at a glance I don't think i'd call him their "best bench guy." Not sure what the rest of DVDTalkers think. Anyway, that was fun!
Thanks for the research. I was gonna pick Mills or Gasol.

Simmons showed up in the playoffs but was very inconsistent in the regular season. Well that and he's 28.

Dedmon signed with the Hawks and Lee probably won't be back.
Old 07-15-17, 02:53 AM   #857
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Give LaVar some credit : I think there are six guys at the top of this draft who are all really good, but due to the focus on his shoes just as much as his pretty outstanding play, I think Ball has garnered more national Summer League attention than Fultz, Tatum, Jackson, Fox and Smith Jr combined.
Being on the Lakers helps a bit too, though that was all LaVar as well. I mean if anything Lonzo performing better on Nike and now Adidas makes BBB shoes seem even more ridiculously overpriced.
Old 07-15-17, 11:14 AM   #858
DVD Talk Godfather

Rondo signs with the Pelicans.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/2...ch-1-year-deal

Old 07-15-17, 10:22 PM   #859
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Looks like a decent deal on the surface, even though they paid big bucks to Jrue, but I just don't see how you're going to run two big men and a point guard who can't shoot in this day and age.
Old 07-15-17, 10:51 PM   #860
DVD Talk Hero

Watching the Lakers Summer League game tonight vs the Nets

Vander Blue had a really great game. 27 points. Not sure if he will make the team though. He's kind of a tweener guard. This roster had a good second half.

Kuzma showed some good outside shooting.

Ball had a decent, but unspectacular game.

I like the Caruso kid. He hustles. Glad he's getting a 2-way deal and can play for the Lakers as needed and he can develop at the G League.

Last edited by DJariya; 07-16-17 at 12:11 AM.
Old 07-16-17, 12:03 AM   #861
DVD Talk Hero

I should have known I would bring my jinx to Lonzo tonight. He was okay but he shot like shit. Threw up several air balls and threw a bunch of possessions away. He really needs to work on the turnovers.
Still the crowd was fun and 95% Laker fans (at least). The guy has some real passing skills and he shot great in warm ups, for whatever that is worth.

Kuzma is really fast and has skills. I was down on them drafting him but he looks like he could be a real contributor off the bench.
Blue did shoot pretty well. I had to chuckle at the thought of the Lakers' Blue/Ball backcourt.

The first game I watched (BOS-DAL) was a total bust. Both Brown and Tatum didn't play (I don't know if he was injured) and Smith Jr barely played and had like 3 points. The second half became a giant inside joke with the crowd : wildly cheering for Ding and Singh every time either touched the ball. It was kind of funny (especially the M-V-P chants when Ding shot FTs) and certainly more entertaining than the actual game. At least getting there early got me decent seats for the Laker game.

Last edited by Decker; 07-16-17 at 12:19 AM.
Old 07-17-17, 12:27 PM   #862
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
You could do it maybe from the Tropicana or the MGM Grand. No other Strip Hotels will be close enough. Plus it would be miserable even from those two. Take an Uber or a cab instead. If you're worried about a huge cab line, you can take a ride to some other part of UNLV and just walk to the T&M.
Watching games there during Summer League can be really fun. I had a blast last year.
Thanks for the response. Yeah I figured it would be a difficult walk in the 100-degree heat. I'm hoping that they move the games to the T-Mobile Arena. Sounds like you're attending the games there this week. Can you avoid all those fees if you buy the ticket at the gate?
Old 07-17-17, 01:07 PM   #863
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinned View Post
Thanks for the response. Yeah I figured it would be a difficult walk in the 100-degree heat. I'm hoping that they move the games to the T-Mobile Arena.
I doubt they will -- the one (and only) advantage that Thomas & Mack has is that they have the Cox Pavilion attached which allows for a second slate of games to be played at the same time in the same venue. It's kind of cool, since there are no assigned seats, you can wander between two games. It's the only way they are able to play eight games in a day.
Quote:
Sounds like you're attending the games there this week. Can you avoid all those fees if you buy the ticket at the gate?
I wondered about that - especially when I saw that the T&M wasn't close to filled on Saturday. I'm sure that you would avoid the Order charge and the Delivery fee, but I don't know what the $8 "fees" are -- you might get those at the ticket counter as well. It's best to buy tickets in advance for the first weekend regardless -- lots of Laker fans plan ahead and drive over for those games these past few seasons. It's like a Spring Training trip for basketball fans. I'm amazed at how popular it's become (thought that absolutely coincides with the Lakers scoring high draft picks). Years ago the place wasn't even half full when Dwight Howard was playing in there prior to his second season.

GAME CENTER ID : DECKER 01

I haven't seen Evil Dead 2.....yet.
Old 07-17-17, 04:03 PM   #864
DVD Talk Godfather

Rockets owner Leslie Alexander selling the team -

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/2...n-rockets-sale

Quote:
"It's been my great joy and honor to own the Houston Rockets for the past 24 years," Alexander said in a statement. "I've had the incredible opportunity to witness true greatness through the players and coaches who have won championships for the city, been named to All-Star and All-NBA teams, enshrined in the Basketball Hall of Fame, and done so much for our franchise and our fans.

"And the Houston community has been home to me; I will continue to support the charities I have made commitments to throughout the years. I'll always have a special place in my heart for the fans, partners, city officials and employees who care so deeply for this team.

"I've made this decision after much deliberation with my family and friends, and do so knowing the franchise is in great shape with the players, coaches and management team in place. CEO Tad Brown will oversee the sales process with the league office, supported by my management team."
My friend commented to me that every team Chris Paul has been own has had an ownership change

Old 07-17-17, 10:00 PM   #865
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Rockets owner Leslie Alexander selling the team -

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/2...n-rockets-sale

My friend commented to me that every team Chris Paul has been own has had an ownership change
Knicks fans should be clamoring to get him next year.

Lonzo MVP of Summer League, for whatever that means.

And Kuzma gets the Summer League Championship MVP after an outstanding summer league and a great championship game without Lonzo feeding him Hail Marys. I can already feel the irrational exuberance of Lakers fans growing out of control this offseason. Before that happens here, the previous four (and only)recipients in this award's history have been a guy who went 19 overall, a guy who was drafted in the second round, and two guys who went undrafted, so it's not exactly unprecedented for a lower pick to win. But all those guys have been decent (Jonathan Simmons was one of them) and Kuzma has been impressive.

Also ROY next year will be the polar opposite of this year, a bloodbath of epic proportions only rivaled by the fight for number 2 in the West next year.

Last edited by fujishig; 07-18-17 at 12:13 AM.
Old 07-18-17, 10:21 AM   #866
DVD Talk Godfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
i can already feel the irrational exuberance of lakers fans growing out of control this offseason.
BALL + LEBRON 2018 = CHAMPIONSHIPS.

Old 07-18-17, 12:55 PM   #867
DVD Talk Hero

Kyle Kuzma's shooting in the Summer League was pretty great.

Hopefully it translates to the regular season where it actually counts.

Unrelated, Here's an article that lists (in their opinion) the top 5 worst contracts currently in the NBA at every position.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...every-position

Luol Deng made #2 at Small forward. Mozgov was #3 at Center

Lots of average/non-star players in the list getting paid very well.
Old 07-18-17, 03:33 PM   #868
DVD Talk Special Edition

Of all the contracts handed out last summer, I wonder if there's a team who did NOT regret the deal that they made. All of these contracts are basically untradeable at this point (unless you include a young guy like what the Lakers did to get rid of Mozgov).

Mitch Kupchak gets a lot of flak, and deservedly so, for his Deng & Mozgov signings but I think Portland did an ever worse job with their signings of Evan Turner, Crabbe, Harkless & Leonard.

Of course, the Knicks take the cake this season with their signing of Tim Hardaway.
Old 07-18-17, 05:02 PM   #869
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Love him, but I have mixed feelings about a 40 year old player playing next season. Hopefully, he'll prove me wrong.
Old 07-18-17, 07:03 PM   #870
DVD Talk Hero

I watched KCP's press conference on Facebook. Rob and Magic did most of the talking. You could tell that KCP is really shy and uncomfortable speaking in public.

All that really matters is what he does on the court. Magic and Rob were really hyping him. I'd be happy if he gives them 15 per game.
Old 07-20-17, 08:00 PM   #871
DVD Talk Godfather

Derrick Rose met with both Cavs and Lakers. I actually wouldn't mind him too much in LA for a year, a veteran guard would be nice and he wasn't too bad in NY last year. At least for 60 games

Old 07-20-17, 08:20 PM   #872
DVD Talk Legend

Rose does nothing like you would want for a PG. He doesn't create shots for others, doesn't do much to lead an offense nor plays any defense. He can score 17 a game with 25 point outputs here and there, but didn't do what I was hoping a PG would do.
Old 07-20-17, 08:53 PM   #873
DVD Talk Legend

Rose will never be what he was, and may be the first(?) MVP not to be a HOFer, but I think he can still contribute. But I have to believe they promised and want KCP to play a lot, and he's already on a one year deal, so I'm not exactly sure what good it is for the Lakers or Rose.
Old 07-21-17, 12:43 AM   #874
DVD Talk Godfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
Rose will never be what he was, and may be the first(?) MVP not to be a HOFer, but I think he can still contribute. But I have to believe they promised and want KCP to play a lot, and he's already on a one year deal, so I'm not exactly sure what good it is for the Lakers or Rose.
I'm not sure the two are related, KCP would be the starting SG and Rose off the bench as a 6th man and to help "mentor" Ball. Seems like there's no real market for a PG for Rose, even in Cleveland he would be backing up Kyrie.

Old 07-21-17, 12:55 AM   #875
DVD Talk Godfather