Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Old 05-01-17, 10:50 PM   #51
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: 2017 NBA Off-Season Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinCB View Post

Some Spurs fans and some sports journalists say CP3 should head towards San Antonio, but I don't think they have the cap space to afford him. I think he could also sign for a $200 million contract with the Clippers, too.
That's what someone else was saying on Facebook which makes no sense. CP3 isn't getting younger and Tony Parker was really good against Memphis this series. Not counting the destruction the Rockets just laid to the Spurs tonight, I also don't think the Spurs can afford CP3 with Leonard, LA, and Pau still has a nice year left. Spurs are better off waiting a year and seeing if they can nab Thomas from Boston. PG's are a dime a dozen anyways. The talent level is pretty deep.
Old 05-01-17, 10:53 PM   #52
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post
I looked at OKC's cap space and have to chuckle at Oldaipo making $21 million for the next 4 years and Steven Adams making $22 million and increasing each year. Plus Kanter's $17 million next year. Oof.

http://hoopshype.com/salaries/oklahoma_city_thunder/
......please tell me those are typo's. In what world are we living in that Oldaipo and Adams are making $20+ million????
Old 05-01-17, 11:17 PM   #53
DVD Talk Legend

Have you seen how much Chandler Parsons is making? Or Luol Deng and Mozgod, two players who were intentionally benched by their coach?

The contracts are insane. Conley and Horford are like two and three in salary this year, and that's only because they were the latest ones to sign contracts. Everyone is doing the one and one so they can make more money.

Want to know how crazily they spend money? Due to the stretch provision, Detroit will pay Josh Smith almost five and a half million a year until 2019.

So like 8 years before the apocalypse and the tv rights for the NBA are up for renegotiation? Should be fun.

Last edited by fujishig; 05-01-17 at 11:30 PM.
Old 05-02-17, 12:13 PM   #54
DVD Talk Godfather

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/1...fiba-world-cup

USA Basketball to use non-NBA players for qualifying after FIBA changes

Quote:
After winning gold medals in each of its past five major competitions with an array of NBA stars, USA Basketball will attempt to qualify for the 2019 FIBA World Cup using a rotating squad made up primarily of NBA Development League players.

Changes to the qualifying structure for the next World Cup by the sport's world governing body, FIBA, have forced ‎USA Basketball and countries worldwide to alter their approach for major tournament play, as FIBA moves away from tournaments held strictly in the summer.

U.S. rosters for the World Cup itself, as well as the Olympics, will continue to feature NBA stars. But the players entrusted to secure qualification for those events have to come from elsewhere because the NBA does not intend to release its players -- of any nationality -- for the in-season World Cup qualifying windows that begin later this year.

NBA D-Leaguers, by contrast, will be made available for selection to USA Basketball squads that are scheduled to begin playing 2019 World Cup qualifying games in November. USAB will learn its opponents for its first batch of qualifying games next week.

This should make things interesting.

And of course you can GFY. -chess
Old 05-02-17, 12:38 PM   #55
DVD Talk Legend

I hear Josh Smith, Nate Robinson, and Stephon Marbury are available. Actually that would be kind of awesome.
Old 05-02-17, 11:44 PM   #56
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
I hear Josh Smith, Nate Robinson, and Stephon Marbury are available. Actually that would be kind of awesome.
Yeah might as well use former players. Probably get better ratings too.
Old 05-03-17, 01:03 PM   #57
DVD Talk Hero

Brandon Roy reportedly shot but OK. Info is still murky, though.

http://www.seattletimes.com/sports/h...portedly-shot/

Quote:
Brandon Roy, the Nathan Hale boys basketball coach and former Husky star, was reportedly shot in Compton, Calif. on Saturday night.

According to USA Today, which credited a person with knowledge of the situation, Roy was hit by random gunfire outside his grandmother’s house and he was shielding some of the kids who were there.

Sgt. Rick Mejia of the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s office confirmed Wednesday morning that a man named Brandon Roy was shot in the incident that occurred on the 2000 block of Nestor Ave. in Compton, and said it “appears” that the Roy who was shot is the NBA All-Star, but added, “there’s no way we can confirm that because we don’t ask those questions.”

Mejia said Roy was one of four victims who were injured by gunfire from two men.

“Mr. Roy and three other black males were standing there when two male blacks shot in their direction, striking all four,” Mejia said. “None were life-threatening injuries. I know all four were shot and transported to a local hospital.”

Mejia said no arrest has been made in the case yet, and that the police report – which would include the victims’ dates of birth — is not yet available to the public. The case is considered an open investigation and is being handled by the sheriff department’s gang investigation unit even though Mejia says the department has yet to determine whether it is actually gang-related.

KING 5, which broke the news Tuesday night, reported that Roy was treated in Southern California and has returned to Washington.

The Portland Trail Blazers, with whom Roy played for five seasons, issued a statement late Tuesday night.

“Like many others, we’re just learning of the injury suffered by former Trail Blazers player Brandon Roy in a shooting over the weekend in California,” the Blazers’ statement read. “According to those reports, Brandon was wounded as a bystander, but is expected to recover. Our thoughts are prayers are with Brandon and his family during this time.”

Nathan Hale athletic director Darby Haskins did not immediately return a voicemail seeking comment on Roy’s status.

In a strange twist, there also appeared to be some question as to whether the Brandon Roy who was shot is the same Brandon Roy who coaches at Hale.

P.J. Fuller, a starting guard for Nathan Hale, seemed to dispute the reports, tweeting on Tuesday night “lie again” in response to a KING 5 tweet.

Nathan Hale freshman guard MarJon Beauchamp also, on Tuesday night, retweeted the KING 5 report about Roy with the comment, “It is wrong.”

Roy could not be reached for comment on Wednesday morning.
Challenges: Action 2017 | Academy Award 2017 | TV on DVD* 2017 | Holiday 2016 | Comedy 2016 | Horror 2016 | Criterion 2016 | Animation 2016 | Sci-Fi 2016 | Historical 2016 | Make-Your-Own 2016 | Drive-In 2016 | Leap Day 2016
Old 05-04-17, 09:40 AM   #58
DVD Talk Hero

So, if I am thinking about this correctly, both Philly and Sacramento could have two Top 5 picks in the draft, correct?

#1 - Philly wins lottery or Sacramento wins and Philly swaps with them
#2 - Sacramento hits this pick on their own, or Philly hits here and swaps for #1
#3 - Sacramento hits this pick on their own, or Philly hits here and swaps for #1
#4 - Lakers or Pelicans hit here, have to give pick to Philly/Sacramento
#5 - Lakers or Pelicans hit here, have to give pick to Philly/Sacramento
Old 05-04-17, 02:58 PM   #59
MrX
DVD Talk Legend

Lonzo Ball's debut shoe from his dad's Big Baller Brand is available on the Big Baller Brand website for $495

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

My Countdown Counting down to: Summer Vacation
Old 05-04-17, 11:45 PM   #60
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quake1028 View Post
So, if I am thinking about this correctly, both Philly and Sacramento could have two Top 5 picks in the draft, correct?

#1 - Philly wins lottery or Sacramento wins and Philly swaps with them
#2 - Sacramento hits this pick on their own, or Philly hits here and swaps for #1
#3 - Sacramento hits this pick on their own, or Philly hits here and swaps for #1
#4 - Lakers or Pelicans hit here, have to give pick to Philly/Sacramento
#5 - Lakers or Pelicans hit here, have to give pick to Philly/Sacramento
If you are saying that BOTH Kings and Philly could have 2 picks each in the top 5 (leaving just one other team out), I don't think that is possible. The Nets (Celtics really) are locked in anywhere from #1-4 and the Suns (who I don't think traded their pick) can get anything from #1-5 leaving just 3 other options out there for other teams.
Old 05-05-17, 11:12 AM   #61
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrX View Post
Lonzo Ball's debut shoe from his dad's Big Baller Brand is available on the Big Baller Brand website for $495
At first I was holding the line at not using his father's ego against him. Now it's just too much, whenever I hear Lavar Ball speak I just think man his kid must be a headcase too and I wouldn't want him on my team. The worst thing is that celebs will buy this shoe and influence others down the chain.

http://www.businessinsider.com/lavar...sts-495-2017-5

Last edited by fujishig; 05-05-17 at 11:18 AM.
Old 05-05-17, 11:31 AM   #62
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, it's unfortunate that his shenanigans are putting a red flag on his kids when the first one hasn't even joined the NBA yet.
Challenges: Action 2017 | Academy Award 2017 | TV on DVD* 2017 | Holiday 2016 | Comedy 2016 | Horror 2016 | Criterion 2016 | Animation 2016 | Sci-Fi 2016 | Historical 2016 | Make-Your-Own 2016 | Drive-In 2016 | Leap Day 2016
Old 05-05-17, 02:29 PM   #63
DVD Talk Legend

I believe Ball ends up an all-star in the NBA. But unless he ends up being a LeBron or Steph-type star, this brand isn't going to sell anything.

Over 5000 Blu-rays ranked by pure video quality.
Old 05-05-17, 03:04 PM   #64
DVD Talk Hero

Old 05-05-17, 06:00 PM   #65
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah I didn't link to the actual commercial because I didn't want it to get even more views, but that's fine. The guy's no Lebron or Shaq when it comes to charisma, that's for sure. I guess that's why Vince McMahon put him together with a heel manager. When Lonzo smashes Lavar over the head with a pineapple on the Steven A. Smith show and introduces his $20 shoes, that will set up an epic face turn.

Man, this shoes stuff had me thinking about NBA 2K. I wonder if Lavar is crazy enough to try get his son to opt out of the NBA Players Association licensing deals. Remember back in the day when NBA live had a Jordan-like player buried on the end of the Bulls bench without a name?

Last edited by fujishig; 05-05-17 at 06:08 PM.
Old 05-05-17, 06:57 PM   #66
DVD Talk Gold Edition

https://streamable.com/bndy8
Old 05-05-17, 08:03 PM   #67
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Yeah I didn't link to the actual commercial because I didn't want it to get even more views, but that's fine. The guy's no Lebron or Shaq when it comes to charisma, that's for sure. I guess that's why Vince McMahon put him together with a heel manager. When Lonzo smashes Lavar over the head with a pineapple on the Steven A. Smith show and introduces his $20 shoes, that will set up an epic face turn.

Man, this shoes stuff had me thinking about NBA 2K. I wonder if Lavar is crazy enough to try get his son to opt out of the NBA Players Association licensing deals. Remember back in the day when NBA live had a Jordan-like player buried on the end of the Bulls bench without a name?
Is the dad the only one allowed to have a personality? This kid is a mumbling bore.

Why isn't it the ZO1?
Old 05-05-17, 08:20 PM   #68
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.A. View Post
Why isn't it the ZO1?
Old 05-10-17, 04:05 PM   #69
DVD Talk Legend

Current rumor is that Lowry would be interested in playing for his hometown 76ers. Part of me knows that this is mainly for leverage, but part of me thinks that wouldn't be a terrible fit.

Man watching the Jump now and they're talking about Isaiah reaching out to Kobe and how important that kind of mentorship is. Kareem's on and talks about how he was brought in by the Clippers to help Olowakandi and was basically rebuffed. What a waste of a number one pick. I mean I already knew that, obviously, but thanks for the reminder.

Last edited by fujishig; 05-10-17 at 05:05 PM.
Old 05-10-17, 05:48 PM   #70
DVD Talk Godfather

I remember Andrew Bynum not being interested in Kareem's help either.

Seems like Kobe's helped a lot of players. Pretty interesting, since it always seemed like Kobe's own ego limiting him versus all the skills he learned so meticulously from other players. Ego removed, he's probably a great teacher when it comes down to just skill and analysis.

Old 05-10-17, 11:07 PM   #71
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Current rumor is that Lowry would be interested in playing for his hometown 76ers. Part of me knows that this is mainly for leverage, but part of me thinks that wouldn't be a terrible fit.

Man watching the Jump now and they're talking about Isaiah reaching out to Kobe and how important that kind of mentorship is. Kareem's on and talks about how he was brought in by the Clippers to help Olowakandi and was basically rebuffed. What a waste of a number one pick. I mean I already knew that, obviously, but thanks for the reminder.
Got to love Wiki: Overall, Olowokandi's professional career was remarkably underwhelming and he has repeatedly been named among the biggest disappointments in NBA history.[8] The Clippers' pick of Olowokandi was particularly unwise as the 1998 NBA draft had produced players such as Dirk Nowitzki, Paul Pierce, Vince Carter, Antawn Jamison, Rashard Lewis, and Mike Bibby who all went on to have exceedingly more successful careers than Olowokandi.[9]

Why don't people wanna learn from Kareem? Do big men just have this huge ego about them that they don't want help?
Old 05-10-17, 11:17 PM   #72
DVD Talk Legend

I don't think Kareem is the easiest guy to work with anyway, but yeah I do think players just have this ego... it's certainly not only big men but you see guys like Dwight just fail to develop a post up game or be able to shoot free throws and it's kinda baffling. Like Kobe can go get pointers from Olajuwon and work on his post game but the big guys can't? If any big man were able to even halfway replicate the sky hook... I mean the game has changed, sure but not that much.

Luckily for the Clippers, there have been no shortage of number one busts (though I believe the number two pick has way more): Kwame Brown just a few years later, Bargnani, Anthony Bennett. Plus the only other player they would have taken there was Bibby, who everyone thought they would take but would have also been considered a bust compared to those other guys. And at least they didn't trade the rights to Dirk for Tractor Traylor.

Last edited by fujishig; 05-10-17 at 11:27 PM.
Old 05-11-17, 12:59 AM   #73
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Perhaps Bynum didn't want to work with Jabbar, but he did end up winning back-to-back championships. Nothing wrong with asking for help on developing a skill. A smart person would want to listen to a smarter person.

In an article in The New York Times Magazine, Jabbar did regret being too reticent in the 60s and 70s, wishing he could have been more personable. Perhaps he's soften a bit nowadays.
Old 05-11-17, 01:20 PM   #74
DVD Talk Legend

I'm not so sure how much this "mentoring" helps the younger player. No one has ever hit a jump shot because Kobe talked to them. Superstars rarely have great advice to give because they are usually the most physically talented people to ever play the game. I could see gaining insights from career role players who had to fight for their survival in the league.

Over 5000 Blu-rays ranked by pure video quality.
Old 05-11-17, 03:54 PM   #75
DVD Talk Godfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post
I'm not so sure how much this "mentoring" helps the younger player. No one has ever hit a jump shot because Kobe talked to them. Superstars rarely have great advice to give because they are usually the most physically talented people to ever play the game. I could see gaining insights from career role players who had to fight for their survival in the league.
If the only thing you can think of for someone to glean from another star player is how to hit a jump shot, I'd say you don't have a really strong grasp of other skills or fundamentals that can be worked on aside from physical talent. Even the article about Thomas' work with Kobe touched on specifics and breaking down film, and I know there's been stuff about Kobe or Lebron learning post moves from Hakeem.