Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Old 04-16-17, 11:00 AM   #26
DVD Talk Godfather

Re: 2017 NBA Off-Season Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrX View Post
Porzingis skipped his end of the year meeting with NYK management.
It's a bad sign when a 2nd year player that generally has stayed out of the media frenzy does this. Also, seems kinda douchey

And of course you can GFY. -chess
Old 04-16-17, 07:23 PM   #27
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Happy 70th birthday to The Captain. A shame he didn't work hard enough on defense, though.
Old 04-18-17, 09:06 PM   #28
DVD Talk Legend

Man Boston down double digits in the fourth here.

And it's pretty much over, as is the series. Man I feel for Thomas. Despite what I said earlier about whether he's worth a max, I'd like to see them max him in a couple of years and for him to pull through for them, no matter who they draft.

Rondo and Lopez playing out of their minds right now.

Eh, sorry wrong thread. I'll keep it in here because Celtics fans will be here soon enough looking forward to the number one pick.

Last edited by fujishig; 04-18-17 at 09:28 PM.
Old 04-25-17, 03:31 PM   #29
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Happy birthday to the Big Fundamental! Hope your knees are feeling better!

Spoiler:
Old 04-25-17, 03:38 PM   #30
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
Man Boston down double digits in the fourth here.

And it's pretty much over, as is the series. Man I feel for Thomas. Despite what I said earlier about whether he's worth a max, I'd like to see them max him in a couple of years and for him to pull through for them, no matter who they draft.

Rondo and Lopez playing out of their minds right now.

Eh, sorry wrong thread. I'll keep it in here because Celtics fans will be here soon enough looking forward to the number one pick.
I missed this post the first time around. Sorry I found it now.

But thanks for the good thoughts about Isaiah.
Challenges: Action 2017 | Academy Award 2017 | TV on DVD* 2017 | Holiday 2016 | Comedy 2016 | Horror 2016 | Criterion 2016 | Animation 2016 | Sci-Fi 2016 | Historical 2016 | Make-Your-Own 2016 | Drive-In 2016 | Leap Day 2016
Old 04-25-17, 03:53 PM   #31
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidh777 View Post
I missed this post the first time around. Sorry I found it now.

But thanks for the good thoughts about Isaiah.
That Rondo injury was pretty huge, though, especially the way he was playing. I still don't see a team that maxes Isaiah and Horford as doing much in the long run, but they have a year to integrate the draft pick and figure it out.
Old 04-28-17, 12:40 PM   #32
DVD Talk Godfather

Larry Bird stepping down as President of the Pacers.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/1...indiana-pacers

Quote:
Larry Bird is stepping down as president of the Indiana Pacers, The Undefeated's Marc J. Spears has confirmed. General manager Kevin Pritchard will take over the team.
Quote:
A reason for Bird's departure has not been confirmed, but sources told ESPN's Mike Wells that the plan had always been for Bird to strongly suggest to owner Herb Simon that Pritchard take over as president when Bird eventually stepped down. Simon has kept Bird on year-to-year contracts for years.
Probably a good time to step down knowing that the team is probably going to be in rebuild mode soon. It really sucks about the Pacers though, just a series of bad luck whether it be the Malice at the Palace stuff right when the Pacers were one of the best teams in the league or seeing guys like Granger or George suffer major injuries.

Old 04-28-17, 12:47 PM   #33
DVD Talk Legend

Didn't even wait to see if PG makes an all NBA team?

If he doesn't, I still have this feeling that they'll absolutely fleece the Lakers for assets for a guy that wasn't going to re sign with them anyway, because Magic and co. are so desperate for a face for their franchise. And the new Pacers president should have a long enough leash to justify a rebuilding project.
Old 04-29-17, 01:32 AM   #34
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Didn't even wait to see if PG makes an all NBA team?

If he doesn't, I still have this feeling that they'll absolutely fleece the Lakers for assets for a guy that wasn't going to re sign with them anyway, because Magic and co. are so desperate for a face for their franchise. And the new Pacers president should have a long enough leash to justify a rebuilding project.
Magic is smart. No reason to give up a lot for a guy they can probably get during the following year. Plus, with the way Paul George went after his own team and also failed hitting a shoot to tie the game, I don't think he's someone to build a team around.
Old 04-29-17, 08:49 AM   #35
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacob_b View Post
Magic is smart. No reason to give up a lot for a guy they can probably get during the following year. Plus, with the way Paul George went after his own team and also failed hitting a shoot to tie the game, I don't think he's someone to build a team around.
Can't George make a lot more money with a sign and trade, though? Unless he takes a one and one like everyone else, allowing him to re sign with the same team after a year. Also seeing what happened to Melo should inform his decision.

PG's attitude this playoffs was a bit alarming, but maybe it's just his situation. I think the Lakers would be lucky to get him since that's the only way they would be able to attract another star, the only problem would be that their potentially best player also plays the same position. Terrible luck though with that commercial playing during the playoffs.

Remember if they lose their pick to the 76ers this year they also lose their 2019 first round pick.
Old 04-29-17, 08:56 AM   #36
DVD Talk Godfather

I thought the sign and trade benefits were eliminated, but I could be wrong. I don't remember what's changed in the CBA.

Seems like a Melo/Knicks situation again, where it's obvious George wants to go to LA but has another year to go. I kind of feel like the Lakers would still be willing to trade for him now to get him sooner rather then risk waiting another year in case he gets traded elsewhere, but I don't know how much i'd be willing to give up. I guess keeping the pick this year would help a lot asset wise.

Old 04-30-17, 09:57 PM   #37
DVD Talk Gold Edition

He will probably make more in a sign and trade (because he gets an extra year, I believe), but it doesn't mean Magic is going to sell the farm for that. Plus George can make it all up in endorsements anyways. I mean, Howard decided to up and leave LA for Houston and left that kind of money on the table. But if the sign and trade does mean anything, it would be perfect for Clippers and Blake as you know some team is going to overpay and you might as well try to get something for a person who does not stay healthy for the playoffs.

Even if Paul gets traded to another team this offseason or during the upcoming new season, if he really wants to play for LA, he will leave. There's a reason why the Pelicans gave up very little for Cousins.
Old 04-30-17, 11:16 PM   #38
DVD Talk Hero

The Clippers will be the most interesting team to watch this off-season. Blake, CP3 and JJ Reddick are all Free agents and they can't fit all of them under the cap. Will they bring Blake back and take another run at it or will they blow it up? And will Doc still be making all the personnel calls? As someone who has zero love of the Clips, I'm looking forward to seeing what goes down...
Old 04-30-17, 11:36 PM   #39
DVD Talk Legend

It's all up to Ballmer. I'd love to see CP3 retire as a Clipper, but then I'd also like to see him win a title and it just won't happen here. And someone is going to pay Blake for the player he was two years ago and probably regret it by the end of the contract (actually that sounds about right for this franchise). The curse is real. I can't think of a single player that played for the Clippers that went on to have more success after leaving, with the possible exceptions of Ron Harper (who was never the player Chicago envisioned when they signed him), Byron Scott, and Lamar Odom (who just fell apart at the end). Tiny Archibald, Bill Walton, Danny Manning, Loy Vaught, Elton Brand, Corey Maggette, Darius Miles, Quentin Richardson, etc.

Argh, got sidetracked. Anyway I don't think they have much of a choice unless they go into total rebuilding mode which I doubt they'll do. If CP3 wants to come back they'll pay him, same with Blake. JJ and Mbah a Moute are probably gone, and they won't have cap room anyway. If you lose Paul you basically lose at least half of Deandres value as well, and I'm not just talking commercials. Nobody is coming here as a free agent if both Paul and Blake leave.
Old 04-30-17, 11:45 PM   #40
DVD Talk Hero

Ron Harper won an NBA title with the Lakers as their starting PG back in 2000.
Old 04-30-17, 11:58 PM   #41
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
Ron Harper won an NBA title with the Lakers as their starting PG back in 2000.
? He won three with the Bulls and two with the Lakers. But he went to Chicago as a scorer to fill MJs shoes, and was a bit of a disappointment (he was buried on the bench and admitted he was like the 11th man) until MJ came back and he became more of a defensive stopper and role player, mainly to guard Anfernee Hardaway in the playoffs.

Walton also got a ring with the Celtics after his time with the Clips, even winning sixth man of the year and playing in most of the games after his injury riddled Clippers tenure, but he certainly was never the same player. Danny Manning was supposed to be the missing piece for Barkley's Suns to win a title and just was never healthy. Elton Brand spurned the Clippers and was never the same in Philadelphia. Etc, etc.
Old 05-01-17, 12:02 AM   #42
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Some Spurs fans and some sports journalists say CP3 should head towards San Antonio, but I don't think they have the cap space to afford him. I think he could also sign for a $200 million contract with the Clippers, too.
Old 05-01-17, 12:31 AM   #43
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
? He won three with the Bulls and two with the Lakers. But he went to Chicago as a scorer to fill MJs shoes, and was a bit of a disappointment (he was buried on the bench and admitted he was like the 11th man) until MJ came back and he became more of a defensive stopper and role player, mainly to guard Anfernee Hardaway in the playoffs.
I didn't understand what you meant. When Harper was a Clipper, he was a scorer and their leader. However, after he left, he was coming off several really bad teams and I think when he joined the Bulls and Lakers, he changed his style of play and became a role player. That's how he was able to have success in his post-Clippers career and extend his career.
Old 05-01-17, 01:46 AM   #44
DVD Talk Gold Edition

He was also never the same after blowing out his knees and did not understand the triangle offense all that well.
Old 05-01-17, 09:27 AM   #45
DVD Talk Godfather

I feel like on the Clippers side they'll offer contracts to everyone to come back. I think they have to in order to remain relevant. I feel like Paul would come back, not sure if Griffin and Reddick would. Reddick to get more money elsewhere, and Griffin for a change of scenery.

Old 05-01-17, 12:23 PM   #46
DVD Talk Legend

The thing with Griffin though is that
a) his injury history can and probably should scare some teams away
b) he's not going to take less money to chase a title, at least not that I'm aware of, and I don't see a team with cap space where he would push them over the top, or at least be better than this current Clippers team is (on paper).
c) Even though it's the Clippers, it's still the L.A. market. Unless he defects to the Lakers or goes back home to OKC (who won't have cap room) I don't see where else would be more appealing to him.

Now if he really isn't close to Paul, then I could see that being a factor. There's also the fact that both he and Jordan seem to play better when the other is out, despite their friendship off the court.

I know if I were Deandre, I'd be sitting in Chris Paul's living room blocking the door until he re-signed. He's this close to having to try to catch lobs from Austin Rivers and Raymond Felton for all of his points.

I think Reddick is gone. Well, he's been gone since the playoffs began (seemingly every year), but you know what I mean.
Old 05-01-17, 01:35 PM   #47
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
I didn't understand what you meant. When Harper was a Clipper, he was a scorer and their leader. However, after he left, he was coming off several really bad teams and I think when he joined the Bulls and Lakers, he changed his style of play and became a role player. That's how he was able to have success in his post-Clippers career and extend his career.
Ron Harper was coming of knee surgery after he joined the Bulls in 93-94. He lost the explosiveness that made him a great scorer with the Cavs and Clippers. Phil Jackson helped him re-invent his career as a defensive minded PG who would be a role player to Jordan and Pippen. The Bulls had lost the PGs they had (Paxon retired and BJ Armstrong was drafted by the Raptors on the expansion draft) so Harper, Pippen and Jordan were the best ball handlers the team would have available as Steve Kerr was more of a shooting PG.
Old 05-01-17, 02:55 PM   #48
DVD Talk Legend

Phil Jackson loved big point guards like Harper. He thought smaller guards never worked very well in the more physical playoffs.

Over 5000 Blu-rays ranked by pure video quality.
Old 05-01-17, 05:29 PM   #49
DVD Talk Godfather

Quote:
The thing with Griffin though is that
a) his injury history can and probably should scare some teams away
b) he's not going to take less money to chase a title, at least not that I'm aware of, and I don't see a team with cap space where he would push them over the top, or at least be better than this current Clippers team is (on paper).
c) Even though it's the Clippers, it's still the L.A. market. Unless he defects to the Lakers or goes back home to OKC (who won't have cap room) I don't see where else would be more appealing to him.

Now if he really isn't close to Paul, then I could see that being a factor. There's also the fact that both he and Jordan seem to play better when the other is out, despite their friendship off the court.

I know if I were Deandre, I'd be sitting in Chris Paul's living room blocking the door until he re-signed. He's this close to having to try to catch lobs from Austin Rivers and Raymond Felton for all of his points.

I think Reddick is gone. Well, he's been gone since the playoffs began (seemingly every year), but you know what I mean.
I looked at OKC's cap space and have to chuckle at Oldaipo making $21 million for the next 4 years and Steven Adams making $22 million and increasing each year. Plus Kanter's $17 million next year. Oof.

http://hoopshype.com/salaries/oklahoma_city_thunder/

Old 05-01-17, 06:26 PM   #50
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post
I looked at OKC's cap space and have to chuckle at Oldaipo making $21 million for the next 4 years and Steven Adams making $22 million and increasing each year. Plus Kanter's $17 million next year. Oof.

http://hoopshype.com/salaries/oklahoma_city_thunder/
What's stunning about that is that they negotiated that extension back in October, long before they had to or even saw how he fit in with Westbrook. Maybe they'd still have to pony up the same amount of money later, but geez, even without Collision and Taj their cap hit goes way up next year. I wonder what the odds are that Westbrook is happy with OKC when his player option is up after next year...