Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

View Poll Results: Who will win the NBA Finals?
Celtics 3 10.00%
Cavaliers 4 13.33%
Raptors 1 3.33%
Wizards 0 0%
Hawks 0 0%
Bucks 0 0%
Pacers 0 0%
Bulls 0 0%
Warriors 20 66.67%
Spurs 1 3.33%
Rockets 0 0%
Clippers 0 0%
Jazz 0 0%
Thunder 0 0%
Grizzlies 0 0%
Blazers 1 3.33%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-29-17, 12:08 AM   #101
DVD Talk Legend

Re: 2017 NBA Playoffs

Man just once I'd like to relax in the fourth with a big lead as a Clippers fan.
Old 04-29-17, 12:49 AM   #102
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post
I like John Wall, so glad the Wizards won. Looks like they'll move on to play Boston... sucks to wonder how it would have gone if Rondo stayed healthy, but I honestly feel like the Celtics would have still won. And hey, any team that has a better chance of beating Cleveland is nice
Yeah, I still like Rondo from his Boston days so that was unfortunate for him and the Bulls, but maybe the Celtics would've pulled it out anyway.

Survive and advance!
Challenges: Action 2017 | Academy Award 2017 | TV on DVD* 2017 | Holiday 2016 | Comedy 2016 | Horror 2016 | Criterion 2016 | Animation 2016 | Sci-Fi 2016 | Historical 2016 | Make-Your-Own 2016 | Drive-In 2016 | Leap Day 2016
Old 04-29-17, 01:23 AM   #103
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidh777 View Post
Yeah, I still like Rondo from his Boston days so that was unfortunate for him and the Bulls, but maybe the Celtics would've pulled it out anyway.

Survive and advance!
As a Boston fan, boy did we get lucky. Sorry, but I don't think that Boston team would have gotten it together as Rondo (no matter the headcase he might be) does improve a team and help them when he's locked in. That Bulls team was playing extremely well and getting everyone involved. That team was also 4-0 against the Cavs this season. They were the only threat to the Cavs. Glad Boston did get a big W tonight with that loopsided victory, though.
Old 04-29-17, 08:44 AM   #104
DVD Talk Legend

I don't really think the Bulls are a threat to the Cavs in playoff mode, regular season record aside. Rondo really showed how valuable he was to them, though, since they had no distributor at all and MCW is a train wreck at this point. But even with him they still have the same problem they were criticized for when they constructed this roster, mainly a lack of shooting from all their guards.

Isaiah vs Wall should be a good series, though, both are playing out of their minds this year.
Old 04-30-17, 01:16 PM   #105
DVD Talk Hero

Great first half. This Celtics - Wizards series looks to be eminently watchable and really competitive.
Old 04-30-17, 03:45 PM   #106
DVD Talk Legend

Nice comeback by the Celtics and a very entertaining game.

Although I was cringing at IT looking for his tooth on the floor.
Old 04-30-17, 04:55 PM   #107
DVD Talk Legend

I don't think the Clippers have enough to complete this comeback for the rights to get destroyed by GS next round. CP3's gonna have to go super saiyan 3 here.

Edited to add: omg Redick hit a shot! And then he blew a layup. Thanks JJ.

Edited to add: didn't even go super saiyan 1. I know Deandre is there to grab the rebounds but down double digits late in the game you have to pull him.

Last edited by fujishig; 04-30-17 at 05:11 PM.
Old 04-30-17, 06:11 PM   #108
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
Old 04-30-17, 07:52 PM   #109
DVD Talk Special Edition

The Clippers have 3 of my least liked players so I'm always happy to see them get booted out of the playoffs.
Old 05-01-17, 09:56 AM   #110
DVD Talk Godfather

And of course you can GFY. -chess
Old 05-01-17, 10:26 AM   #111
DVD Talk Legend

It does suck for Chicago that Rondo got hurt, but the way the Cs regrouped, I think they would have won the series regardless.

"we get paid for butt time" - mosquitobite

"It felt much more comfortable when I was trying them on. No sharp edge poking my skin." - Buford T. Pusser
Old 05-01-17, 10:42 AM   #112
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:

Eh, 1-0 and 2-1 Series leads are pretty meaningless. That said, it's hard to think of a team in the league, even historically, that has done less with more than these CP3 Clippers. Hell, the Steve Nash Suns are famous for under-achieving and they made the Conference Finals three times! The Clippers never made them even once.

GAME CENTER ID : DECKER 01

I haven't seen Evil Dead 2.....yet.
Old 05-01-17, 11:09 AM   #113
DVD Talk Godfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decker View Post
Eh, 1-0 and 2-1 Series leads are pretty meaningless. That said, it's hard to think of a team in the league, even historically, that has done less with more than these CP3 Clippers. Hell, the Steve Nash Suns are famous for under-achieving and they made the Conference Finals three times! The Clippers never made them even once.
Sorta. There's always those random stats about the percentage of teams that win after going up 1-0 or whatever which is in favor of the team that wins game 1.

Old 05-01-17, 11:15 AM   #114
DVD Talk Hero

The Celtics lost the first two games at home too, so that's a big psychological hurdle.
Challenges: Action 2017 | Academy Award 2017 | TV on DVD* 2017 | Holiday 2016 | Comedy 2016 | Horror 2016 | Criterion 2016 | Animation 2016 | Sci-Fi 2016 | Historical 2016 | Make-Your-Own 2016 | Drive-In 2016 | Leap Day 2016
Old 05-01-17, 12:40 PM   #115
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
It's the curse.

2013: same situation as this year, Clippers were the 4 seed but had the exact same record as Memphis.
2014: Donald Sterling
2015: Chris Paul hurt in game 7 of the first round, misses the first two games before coming back hobbled. Still no excuse for blowing the lead. They feel so bad that they sign Josh Smith to a contract the next year, because he killed them in the playoffs. Josh Smith was so bad they basically gave him back to the Rockets, who cut him.
2016: This is the one they were favored to win, even though they were the 4 seed their record was far better than the 5th place Blazers. Then both Chris Paul and Blake Griffin get injured in the series

Plus I don't think they ever climbed higher than the 3 seed, and each time they lost to the 2 seed, so it wasn't exactly an upset. On paper they're good, but I think most would have still taken OKC with Durant and Westbrook or the GSW talent-wise.

So basically after the first round this year, the only "upset" was the Jazz vs. the Clippers, who had the exact same record and battled to seven games.
Old 05-01-17, 07:35 PM   #116
DVD Talk Hero

Enjoy those back to back Pacific Division Champions banners for 2013 & 2014.
Old 05-01-17, 08:25 PM   #117
DVD Talk Hero

Please give me a break with that Curse talk. If petulant Dan Gilbert hadn't gone and pressured David Stern to void the agreed-to 3 way trade of CP3 to the Lakers, the Clippers would never have even been good enough or relevant enough to even be considered under-achievers.
If Donald Sterling's mistress hadn't secretly taped him, you would still have the worst owner in sports instead of an amiable billionaire willing to spend whatever it takes to win.

The Clippers aren't unlucky, they're too incompetent to take advantage of the remarkable luck they've had.

Last edited by Decker; 05-01-17 at 08:31 PM.
Old 05-01-17, 08:50 PM   #118
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilshalo View Post
Enjoy those back to back Pacific Division Champions banners for 2013 & 2014.
That's the only way you can tell they actually play in Staples Center, though.

I'll agree that they have been very lucky in some ways. If you think about it, the core of this team was established in the Donald Sterling era by luck. The 2008 draft had them land both Eric Gordon and Deandre Jordan, then they got the number one pick the next year to land Blake. Then the year after that, the Thunder, always trying to shed guaranteed salaries, gave them the number 18 pick, Eric Bledsoe. Without those pieces they aren't even in consideration for Paul and they don't get Redick. Then they land Doc as GM and coach and the team has never added the pieces around the core. They swung for the fences with Lance and Josh Smith a couple of years ago and whiffed badly. But then all teams get their players by some measure of luck.

Chris Paul said it himself after the game 6 win, when they almost blew their lead: it just wouldn't be them if it wasn't dramatic. Sad but true. You just can't lose one of the two best players on your team in the playoffs and expect to compete. The other team I would consider super unlucky is OKC, who drafted a wealth of talent and their closest chances at a championship were derailed by injury, until the rising superstar team snatched away their best player. I'm sure Seattle fans would call that a curse too.
Old 05-01-17, 09:03 PM   #119
DVD Talk Godfather

Quote:
Please give me a break with that Curse talk. If petulant Dan Gilbert hadn't gone and pressured David Stern to void the agreed-to 3 way trade of CP3 to the Lakers, the Clippers would never have even been good enough or relevant enough to even be considered under-achievers.
If Donald Sterling's mistress hadn't secretly taped him, you would still have the worst owner in sports instead of an amiable billionaire willing to spend whatever it takes to win.

The Clippers aren't unlucky, they're too incompetent to take advantage of the remarkable luck they've had.
Says the guy who believes in bad karma from a forum post

Old 05-01-17, 09:40 PM   #120
DVD Talk Hero

Nice try Stan, but no.

In other news, San Antonio trails at home by 30 at the half, down a mere 39-69. EinCB must be on suicide watch by now.
Old 05-01-17, 10:10 PM   #121
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Nice try Stan, but no.

In other news, San Antonio trails at home by 30 at the half, down a mere 39-69. EinCB must be on suicide watch by now.
I've watched a ton of Spurs games this year and I've never seen them play with so little effort.
Old 05-01-17, 10:45 PM   #122
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hell, I've never seen them play with so little effort and I've been a die hard fan since about '91 or '92. Tonight was embarrassing.
Old 05-02-17, 08:26 AM   #123
DVD Talk Godfather

Quote:
Nice try Stan, but no.
No what? I just think it's funny to poo poo curses and luck regarding the Clippers but believe in bad karma from a forum

Old 05-02-17, 09:42 AM   #124
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
No what? I just think it's funny to poo poo curses and luck regarding the Clippers but believe in bad karma from a forum
I didn't say luck doesn't exist, I said they are only relevant in the NBA because of two enormous strokes of luck. And not just "Win the Draft Lottery", "Draft Well" kind of luck that fujishig is suggesting -- that is how most good teams become good teams. Nope, I'm talking about a trade for a Top-5 player in the league that was only made because the commissioner had just voided that player's previous trade -- something that I think is kind of unprecedented in major league team sports. I'm talking about having a terrible owner being forced to sell his team, against his wishes, to a great owner due to a sting operation run by his mistress. Bad players and bad contracts come and go in durations of only up to four years now. Bad owners can ruin a franchise for decades. Ask any Knicks fan what they would do to get rid of Jim Dolan. You're a Dodger fan : we would be facing the same situation if Frank McCourt hadn't gone broke. But Sterling wasn't broke and had no desire to sell the team. He was cheap and rude and racist and was an effective repellent to keep any desirable Free Agent far away. And he was forced out because he was caught saying racist things on secretly recorded tapes about LA's beloved Magic Johnson. If that's not lucky for fans of the franchise, what is?

GAME CENTER ID : DECKER 01

I haven't seen Evil Dead 2.....yet.
Old 05-02-17, 10:05 AM   #125
DVD Talk Godfather

Quote:
I didn't say luck doesn't exist, I said they are only relevant in the NBA because of two enormous strokes of luck. And not just "Win the Draft Lottery", "Draft Well" kind of luck that fujishig is suggesting -- that is how most good teams become good teams. Nope, I'm talking about a trade for a Top-5 player in the league that was only made because the commissioner had just voided that player's previous trade -- something that I think is kind of unprecedented in major league team sports. I'm talking about having a terrible owner being forced to sell his team, against his wishes, to a great owner due to a sting operation run by his mistress. Bad players and bad contracts come and go in durations of only up to four years now. Bad owners can ruin a franchise for decades. Ask any Knicks fan what they would do to get rid of Jim Dolan. You're a Dodger fan : we would be facing the same situation if Frank McCourt hadn't gone broke. But Sterling wasn't broke and had no desire to sell the team. He was cheap and rude and racist and was an effective repellent to keep any desirable Free Agent far away. And he was forced out because he was caught saying racist things on secretly recorded tapes about LA's beloved Magic Johnson. If that's not lucky for fans of the franchise, what is?
I just don't think it makes sense to brush away curse talk because of those things, since every winning franchise has some luck on their way to success. Plus, isn't it saying something that the Clippers were basically gifted a few HUGE breaks and still can't get over the hump? Seems perfectly fine to complain about curses when the last two years have been lost because of fluke injuries in the middle of the playoffs, or that the team just chokes away leads to OKC or Houston.

This FiveThirtyEight article puts a few more things in to perspective.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...sangeles:index

Quote:
Yet, with Sunday’s loss, Paul has now gone an NBA-record 76 postseason games without making the conference finals. The Clippers, too, have made history: No other team has won at least 60 percent of its games in six straight seasons and failed to make the conference finals, according to the Elias Sports Bureau.
Quote:
The probability that the Clippers would reach the conference finals at least once in the past six seasons, with as much regular-season success as they had, was 85 percent,11 according to FiveThirtyEight’s NBA win projection model.
I don't care what lucky breaks Clippers and their fans have just to get some modicum of success, their spectacular failures in the Chris Paul era makes me think Clippers fans are entitled to as much curse talk as they want