Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

View Poll Results: Who will win the NBA Finals?
Celtics 3 10.00%
Cavaliers 4 13.33%
Raptors 1 3.33%
Wizards 0 0%
Hawks 0 0%
Bucks 0 0%
Pacers 0 0%
Bulls 0 0%
Warriors 20 66.67%
Spurs 1 3.33%
Rockets 0 0%
Clippers 0 0%
Jazz 0 0%
Thunder 0 0%
Grizzlies 0 0%
Blazers 1 3.33%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-21-17, 10:24 AM   #51
DVD Talk Legend

Re: 2017 NBA Playoffs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacob_b View Post
For everyone saying that Boston isn't a "real" #1 seed, the Bulls really aren't a "real" 8th seed either. When they play together, they are a good team. They split the season series with the Celtics (only one horrible loss by the Bulls during a rough 5 game losing streak). And the leaders are basically veterans who have been there, done that. Not to mention, the Bulls swept the Cavs this season, 4-0. Bulls were the worst draw to get. Much rather have Pacers (just Paul George) or Bucks (better matchup). Honestly, the Bulls are the best match up out of any team in the East to take down the Cavs.
The Bulls barely made the playoffs, though, and were basically dismantling their team late in the season. It's true that the veterans are helping a lot, Wade has obviously been there before and Rondo is playing out of his mind. But the Pacers are no slouch, I'm not sure they would have been a worse matchup, and I sure as heck wouldn't want to play the Bucks. I'd think I'd rather play the Hawks, oddly enough.

Wait, the Pacers are depending on Lance Stephenson and Paul George called him a leader in the locker room. Nevermind, you're right I'd rather play the Pacers.
Old 04-21-17, 11:25 AM   #52
DVD Talk Godfather

Rondo with a broken thumb and out indefinitely.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/1...y-broken-thumb

Quote:
Chicago Bulls guard Rajon Rondo suffered a fractured right thumb in Game 2 against the Boston Celtics and will be out indefinitely, the team said Friday.

Bulls coach Fred Hoiberg said Rondo has a cast and will be re-evaluated in 7-10 days.
It will be interesting to see how that affects the Bulls the rest of the series/playoffs.

And of course you can GFY. -chess
Old 04-21-17, 12:33 PM   #53
DVD Talk Legend

I don't think anyone would want to play the Bucks. The Raptors sure don't (I called that one early in this thread). In a year or two, the Bucks could easily be dominating the entire eastern conference.

"we get paid for butt time" - mosquitobite

"It felt much more comfortable when I was trying them on. No sharp edge poking my skin." - Buford T. Pusser
Old 04-21-17, 12:54 PM   #54
DVD Talk Godfather

Jason Kidd sure made the right choice, didn't he?

Old 04-21-17, 02:30 PM   #55
DVD Talk Legend

Friend of Hal
Old 04-21-17, 08:30 PM   #56
DVD Talk Special Edition

Sometimes I don't understand NBA coaches. With like 6 minutes left in the game and the Celtics up by 18 Stevens decides to put his starting players back in even though the lineup out there was playing great and holding the lead. Why unnecessarily risk injury at that point and that is the perfect time to have people getting less minutes get more time so if you need to call on them later in the playoffs.
Old 04-21-17, 08:34 PM   #57
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Questyen View Post
Sometimes I don't understand NBA coaches. With like 6 minutes left in the game and the Celtics up by 18 Stevens decides to put his starting players back in even though the lineup out there was playing great and holding the lead. Why unnecessarily risk injury at that point and that is the perfect time to have people getting less minutes get more time so if you need to call on them later in the playoffs.
Not watching the game but were the Bulls starters in there? It's much worse if the bench blows the 18 point lead and the starters are all ice cold. I mean this is the playoffs, and it really is win or go home for them, you can't think about fatigue or potential injuries at this point.
Old 04-21-17, 10:55 PM   #58
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
Not watching the game but were the Bulls starters in there? It's much worse if the bench blows the 18 point lead and the starters are all ice cold. I mean this is the playoffs, and it really is win or go home for them, you can't think about fatigue or potential injuries at this point.
The starters for the Bulls had been in the whole 4th quarter and the Celtics were still outplaying them without Thomas, Crowder and Horford in. So no need to put them back in unless the Bulls start showing they were going to cut into the lead and they weren't.

This playoffs I think you do have to think about potential injuries especially with all these injuries piling up (Rondo, Durant, Gobert, Blake) that (other than Durant) are going to have to have big impacts on their current series.
Old 04-21-17, 10:55 PM   #59
DVD Talk Legend

Clippers curse continues. Blake injured his toe.

Edited: man this last 30 seconds took like 30 minutes but at least Chris Paul secured this win. Not that either team had much of a chance but whoever wins this series is going to be wasted and just get destroyed by GS. Maybe Durant gets another series worth of rest.

Last edited by fujishig; 04-21-17 at 11:59 PM.
Old 04-22-17, 12:37 AM   #60
DVD Talk Special Edition

With Gobert out if Favors is only scoring 2 points and playing almost 40 minutes the Jazz have no chance.
Old 04-22-17, 09:47 AM   #61
DVD Talk Legend

How many years in a row can this Clippers team just have total despair in the playoffs? Griffin out the rest of the playoffs. Super Saiyan Chris Paul is a treat to watch but geez. No way they're keeping this team together, I don't care what a Doc says and how many excuses they have, it's just not going to work. The problem is, there's no clear way for them to improve, and I fear both Paul and Griffin will leave and it'll be Deandre and the scrubs. This will be like the less successful version of the Thunder, tantalizing talent that due to injuries or obstacles never really made it, losing their key player in free agency for nothing.

Oh wait, Austin Rivers is on his way back, championship confirmed.

I guess I can't be too mad considering at one point Loy Vaught was the best player by far on the team, and I thought they might retire his jersey just to have something up on the rafters.

Also what the heck happened to Favors? The Jazz had this promising young frontcourt in Favors and Kanter, so much so that they just let Millsap go.

Last edited by fujishig; 04-22-17 at 09:56 AM.
Old 04-22-17, 10:04 AM   #62
DVD Talk Special Edition

To be fair Favors has been injured a lot this year and is currently recovering from a leg injury.
Old 04-22-17, 04:27 PM   #63
DVD Talk Legend

This Bucks/Raptors game is tough to watch. So many bricks being laid.

And I guess Fizdale isn't going to get rooked after all. Wow. At least for a game Conley marched Kawhi.

Aldridge may turn out to be one of the worst max signings in the past couple of years, who would've thought? Actually it really does seem like the era of big men is past: Lamarcus looks lost at times, same for Horford. Dwight's old team got better when he left. Cousins hasn't ever been to the playoffs and was traded for spare change. Steven Adams looked like a breakout candidate last year and now looks ordinary. Brooke Lopez averages like 5 rebounds a game. I'm actually afraid to sign Blake to a max contract, and it's not just the injury concerns, which are major.

I mean we still have Gobert, KAT, Embiid if healthy, and others but geez. Also it makes that Mozgod contract look even worse than it already is.

McCollum and Lilliard making their case for best backcourt once again.

Last edited by fujishig; 04-22-17 at 11:26 PM.
Old 04-23-17, 01:07 AM   #64
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:

And failing, once again.
Old 04-23-17, 08:02 AM   #65
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
This Bucks/Raptors game is tough to watch. So many bricks being laid.

And I guess Fizdale isn't going to get rooked after all. Wow. At least for a game Conley marched Kawhi.

Aldridge may turn out to be one of the worst max signings in the past couple of years, who would've thought? Actually it really does seem like the era of big men is past: Lamarcus looks lost at times, same for Horford. Dwight's old team got better when he left. Cousins hasn't ever been to the playoffs and was traded for spare change. Steven Adams looked like a breakout candidate last year and now looks ordinary. Brooke Lopez averages like 5 rebounds a game. I'm actually afraid to sign Blake to a max contract, and it's not just the injury concerns, which are major.

I mean we still have Gobert, KAT, Embiid if healthy, and others but geez. Also it makes that Mozgod contract look even worse than it already is.

Brook Lopez had one of his best seasons of his career. He's never been a great rebounder for his size and this season they had him shooting more 3 pointers to stretch the floor which kept him even more away from the rim.
Old 04-23-17, 11:05 AM   #66
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Questyen View Post
Brook Lopez had one of his best seasons of his career. He's never been a great rebounder for his size and this season they had him shooting more 3 pointers to stretch the floor which kept him even more away from the rim.
How many wins did he get them and is he worth a max?

The defense for his rebounding number has always been that he boxes out to let his teammates get the rebound, but only people who actually watch Nets games would know, and I haven't found anyone. I realize he's had a career year from a big man shooting the 3 and is now the Nets all time leading scorer. But even if he's become a stretch 5, shouldn't he get some defensive rebounds? Or is he chasing guys around the perimeter? I don't get it. 74th in rebounding at 30 minutes a game for a 7 footer.
Old 04-23-17, 11:23 AM   #67
DVD Talk Special Edition

He's worth the max to Brooklyn because he's one of the few players who wants to play there. They're not getting any other big free agents to come to give that max money too and they have to give it to someone. He's a high level NBA player. Throughout his career he's averaged like 6-7 rebounds a game and now he's down to 5 that's not some hugely dramatic drop off especially since like I mentioned he's now a stretch five. He made 134 three pointers this year and shot almost 400. In his previous 8 seasons he shot like 25 total and made 3. That's going to keep him farther from the rim and affect his rebounding numbers.

Last edited by The Questyen; 04-23-17 at 11:31 AM.
Old 04-23-17, 05:11 PM   #68
DVD Talk Special Edition

Unless Westbrook changes his game to one where he understands that he isn't by himself on the court, I really doubt that we'll see him go past the first round ever. Most likely, he'll have teams resembling Kobe's Lakers during Bryant last 4-5 years.
Old 04-23-17, 07:52 PM   #69
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Rockets up 3-1, fumanstan's day ruined!

Old 04-23-17, 08:16 PM   #70
DVD Talk Legend

Celtics seem to have righted the ship.
Old 04-23-17, 08:19 PM   #71
DVD Talk Hero

The play got a little ragged, but nice to see the Celtics pull off enough big fourth-quarter plays to tie things up.
Challenges: Action 2017 | Academy Award 2017 | TV on DVD* 2017 | Holiday 2016 | Comedy 2016 | Horror 2016 | Criterion 2016 | Animation 2016 | Sci-Fi 2016 | Historical 2016 | Make-Your-Own 2016 | Drive-In 2016 | Leap Day 2016
Old 04-23-17, 09:04 PM   #72
DVD Talk Legend

Crawford showing some life, though he's giving it all back on defense. I'm surprised Paul is getting so much rest.

Woah just saw that Kerr said he might not coach again this post season. Wow. I wonder if Luke regrets his decision just a little bit.

Hayward out the rest of the game with food poisoning. Gobert and Ingles are killing them but the Clips need this game with the circumstances.

Now Joe Johnson killing it again. He and Nene turning back the clock today, where are you vintage playoff Paul Pierce?

Last edited by fujishig; 04-23-17 at 09:55 PM.
Old 04-23-17, 10:39 PM   #73
DVD Talk Legend

Joe Johnson killed the Clippers. Made 11 straight at one point, then they doubled him and he kicked it out for threes. Joe Johnson. In 2017. With Gordon Hayward playing 9 minutes. Joe Johnson. Beat them again.

Let me say that again, the Clips would've won four games in a row if not for Joe Johnson. Omg, the curse is so real.
Old 04-24-17, 05:09 PM   #74
DVD Talk Godfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osiris3657 View Post
Rockets up 3-1, fumanstan's day ruined!

You seem awfully butthurt that someone doesn't like your team

Old 04-24-17, 06:02 PM   #75
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post
You seem awfully butthurt that someone doesn't like your team
how am I the one butthurt? Things are going great for me, Rockets are going to advance. It appears you are actually the one who is butthurt, considering you couldn't handle my little dig at you and you resort using the #1 internet buzzword.

Enjoy the draft! It's the only thing you have to look forward to the next few years