Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

View Poll Results: Who will win the 2017 World Series?
Astros 0 0%
Blue Jays 2 8.00%
Cardinals 1 4.00%
Cubs 3 12.00%
Diamondbacks 0 0%
Dodgers 5 20.00%
Giants 1 4.00%
Indians 1 4.00%
Mariners 0 0%
Marlins 0 0%
Mets 2 8.00%
Nationals 0 0%
Orioles 1 4.00%
Pirates 0 0%
Rangers 1 4.00%
Red Sox 3 12.00%
Rockies 0 0%
Royals 0 0%
Tigers 0 0%
Yankees 2 8.00%
Other (specify) 3 12.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-03-17, 09:27 AM   #26
DVD Talk Hero

Re: 2017 MLB Week 1 Apr. 2-9 "Opening Day Edition"

Still annoyed at Carp's indecision in the infield that allowed the tying run to come to the plate.

Not to mention Matheny treating Oh like it was the deciding game of the playoff series.

Grichuk.
Old 04-03-17, 10:40 AM   #27
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.A. View Post
Still annoyed at Carp's indecision in the infield that allowed the tying run to come to the plate.

Not to mention Matheny treating Oh like it was the deciding game of the playoff series.
These kinds of things make me wonder about how good STL will be this year .. clearly some good players and talent on the team ... but a horrid manager and while the D could not be worse than last year, I wonder how much better it really is ... add to that, I am not really sure about Oh as a closer ... sure it is only one game and he came on last year, but closers that rely on location more than stuff always make me nervous.
Old 04-03-17, 11:22 AM   #28
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrX View Post
Rebuilding year for the White Sox. Looking forward to see how the young guys they received for Sale and Easton develop and the haul they get for Quintana.
I'm just glad they picked a path instead of fucking around the last few years.

There's still a chance they could hang on to Quintana depending on how fast the development of some of these players goes. But I do think if they can move him for a haul similar to the Sale or Eaton trades they have to do it.

Not even sure they'll get to play today's game - and it's actually supposed to rain here most of the week I think.
Old 04-03-17, 11:43 AM   #29
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearFan View Post
These kinds of things make me wonder about how good STL will be this year .. clearly some good players and talent on the team ... but a horrid manager and while the D could not be worse than last year, I wonder how much better it really is ... add to that, I am not really sure about Oh as a closer ... sure it is only one game and he came on last year, but closers that rely on location more than stuff always make me nervous.
The worst.
Old 04-03-17, 11:49 AM   #30
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm headed to Oakland's season opener tonight. Chances are, for the season, they'll do better than they did last year. so world series, here we come!
Old 04-03-17, 03:32 PM   #31
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveNinja View Post
I'm headed to Oakland's season opener tonight. Chances are, for the season, they'll do better than they did last year. so world series, here we come!
That is why I love opening day .. and really the whole month of April .. May has been when Cubs reality has traditionally set in for me
Old 04-03-17, 05:31 PM   #32
MrX
DVD Talk Legend

White Sox/Tigers delayed until tomorrow because of rain.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

My Countdown Counting down to: Summer Vacation
Old 04-03-17, 05:49 PM   #33
DVD Talk Hero

Kershaw being Kershaw : 7.0 innings, 1 ER, 2 Hits, 8 SO, 0 BB.

GAME CENTER ID : DECKER 01

I haven't seen Evil Dead 2.....yet.
Old 04-03-17, 05:55 PM   #34
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Trumbo being Trumbo: Game winning Homerun for Orioles.
Old 04-03-17, 05:57 PM   #35
DVD Talk Hero

Padres being Padres: 14 runs allowed
Challenges: Action 2017 | Academy Award 2017 | TV on DVD* 2017 | Holiday 2016 | Comedy 2016 | Horror 2016 | Criterion 2016 | Animation 2016 | Sci-Fi 2016 | Historical 2016 | Make-Your-Own 2016 | Drive-In 2016 | Leap Day 2016
Old 04-03-17, 06:51 PM   #36
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidh777 View Post
Padres being Padres: 14 runs allowed
I am aware that they are the Padres, but still : How is Jhoulys Chacin their Opening-Day starter?

GAME CENTER ID : DECKER 01

I haven't seen Evil Dead 2.....yet.
Old 04-03-17, 10:28 PM   #37
DVD Talk Legend

The Redlegs' undefeated season ends.

Only 161 more to go.
Old 04-04-17, 02:09 PM   #38
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
If Molina never played another game, he's a Hall of Famer, IMO. Eight Gold Gloves,dominated defensively like no other in his time. Thoughts?

Buster Olney (@Buster_ESPN) April 3, 2017
The media keeps overhyping Molina more than any other player in the game. I have no idea if they are trying to please Cardinal nation or they think Molina is a good story.

The only way to currently justify Molina making the Hall of Fame is if you seriously believe he's the greatest defensive catcher of all time. His offensive numbers aren't there even by the lower HOF standards of catchers.

Over 5000 Blu-rays ranked by pure video quality.
Old 04-04-17, 02:22 PM   #39
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
If Molina never played another game, he's a Hall of Famer, IMO. Eight Gold Gloves,dominated defensively like no other in his time. Thoughts?

Buster Olney (@Buster_ESPN) April 3, 2017
not. even. close.

"we get paid for butt time" - mosquitobite

"It felt much more comfortable when I was trying them on. No sharp edge poking my skin." - Buford T. Pusser
Old 04-04-17, 02:27 PM   #40
DVD Talk Legend

There goes Quintana's trade value.

Not serious, but maybe a little serious...
Old 04-04-17, 04:44 PM   #41
DVD Talk Hero

Is anyone on T-Mobile to get the MLB.tv deal today?

I feel like Maddon got a little cute in starting his WS guys in game 1. Heyward might've made a play on the ball Zobrist couldn't get to, and maybe the SF holds up anyway, but Heyward's arm would've made the runner think a bit at least. It feels like Zobrist is now the second-best player at 2B, LF, and RF. He's still solid, of course, and it's good to have his contact bat, but keeping him in the lineup will be a tricky dance.

But anyway, it's just one game, and we'll see how things sort out during the season.
Challenges: Action 2017 | Academy Award 2017 | TV on DVD* 2017 | Holiday 2016 | Comedy 2016 | Horror 2016 | Criterion 2016 | Animation 2016 | Sci-Fi 2016 | Historical 2016 | Make-Your-Own 2016 | Drive-In 2016 | Leap Day 2016
Old 04-04-17, 05:05 PM   #42
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post
The media keeps overhyping Molina more than any other player in the game. I have no idea if they are trying to please Cardinal nation or they think Molina is a good story.

The only way to currently justify Molina making the Hall of Fame is if you seriously believe he's the greatest defensive catcher of all time. His offensive numbers aren't there even by the lower HOF standards of catchers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LurkerDan View Post
not. even. close.
I realize any argument I'd make for Molina being a HOF'er could be construed as Cardinal fan bias. And I believe he's not there yet, but I'd also suggest that he's not that far removed from the discussion. Much will depend on these next couple of years. If he declines as some would predict, it could leave him short of where he'd need to be. He's taken great care of himself. Does he defy the odds and continue to play at a high level into his late 30's? Carlton Fisk did, amassing over half of his career value (based on WAR) after he was 33.

His case is somewhat unique, because it is the perception of some that he is indeed the greatest defensive catcher of all time (cue the howls from fans of other notable catchers--Bench, Rodriguez, etc.). I agree the media likes to talk him up. But I think you hear the same from his peers on the field. And fans (aside from ones in Cincinnati) seem to recognize it as well. Awards have to sometimes be taken with a grain of salt. But in the brief history of the platinum glove award, given to the best defender at any position, Molina has won it for the NL 4 of 6 times. My understanding is that 2 of those came from fan voting, the latter 2 had the extra backing of a sabermetric approach to evaluating players (link here).

If he avoids significant injuries and catches 125 games each of the next 4 seasons (and that might be a conservative total considering he caught 140+ last year), he'd be in top 4 all time in games played at catcher. He'd be well past 2,000 hits at that point as well. And while he's never been the offensive force that the more recent HOF catchers have been, he's far from being a liability with the bat.

So I go along with the thought that he will be voted in at some point. No doubt, his candidacy will certainly spark all kinds of discussion in the future.

"i 'm new here. most of people in here are good. but there is a miserable person. Look into your mirror. Superboy!" --New Member, robert11
Old 04-05-17, 07:18 AM   #43
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidh777 View Post
Heyward might've made a play on the ball Zobrist couldn't get to, and maybe the SF holds up anyway, but Heyward's arm would've made the runner think a bit at least. It feels like Zobrist is now the second-best player at 2B, LF, and RF. He's still solid, of course, and it's good to have his contact bat, but keeping him in the lineup will be a tricky dance.
Almora looked perfectly fine in CF last night .. I agree about Zobrist, but it is really a good problem to have ... Maddon seems big on resting players ... how much good that does, who knows. But with the the guys they have, it is not that big of a dropoff with some of the bench players. I think (minus injury and depending on performance), we see Zorbrist, Baez, Heyward, Schwarber all in the high 400 AB range.
Old 04-05-17, 07:40 AM   #44
DVD Talk Hero

Stephen Piscotty was hit by three balls in a few minutes, and the final ball hit him in the helmet as he slid into home plate.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/stephen...030507866.html

http://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/bas...ead-contusion/
Old 04-05-17, 08:01 AM   #45
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

He picked a bad night to stop sniffing glue
Old 04-05-17, 08:11 AM   #46
DVD Talk Hero

Ha.
Old 04-05-17, 11:18 AM   #47
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrX View Post
White Sox/Tigers delayed until tomorrow because of rain.
Tiger/White Sox game on Wednesday already postponed and tomorrow doesn't look good either and Detroit is suppose to get 2 inches of snow late Thursday night and their home opener vs Boston is on Friday.
Old 04-05-17, 11:24 AM   #48
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Cubs/STL postponed as well .. playing a day game tomorrow to make it up
Old 04-05-17, 11:30 AM   #49
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

A real shame .. guy was a great hitter. I met him briefly at the 89 All Star Game .. seemed like a nice guy

Pedro Guerrero, the former Dodgers and Cardinals slugger who shared MVP honors in the 1981 World Series, reportedly is fighting for his life in a New York hospital.

The 60-year-old was hospitalized after suffering his second stroke in a little over two years, ESPN Deportes reported. The Dominican newspaper Hoy said Guerrero is on a ventilator at a hospital in the Bronx.
Old 04-05-17, 11:49 AM   #50
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Stephen Piscotty was hit by three balls in a few minutes, and the final ball hit him in the helmet as he slid into home plate.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/stephen...030507866.html

http://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/bas...ead-contusion/
Watch this video of it:

"we get paid for butt time" - mosquitobite

"It felt much more comfortable when I was trying them on. No sharp edge poking my skin." - Buford T. Pusser