Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Old 02-18-17, 01:24 PM   #26
MrX
DVD Talk Legend

Re: 2017 MLB Spring Training thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardsfan111 View Post
$5 million goes to elite closers, Levine said.
Does that make Chapman super-duper elite since they are paying him 3.5 times that

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

My Countdown Counting down to: Summer Vacation
Old 02-18-17, 01:37 PM   #27
DVD Talk Legend

And Betances' agent fires back against Levine. Article from Ken Rosenthal.

http://www.foxsports.com/mlb/story/n...senthal-021817

Yankees look bad in all of this. Levine specifically comes across as an idiot.

"i 'm new here. most of people in here are good. but there is a miserable person. Look into your mirror. Superboy!" --New Member, robert11
Old 02-18-17, 02:03 PM   #28
MrX
DVD Talk Legend

"He might as well be an astronaut because nobody on earth would agree with what he is saying."

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

My Countdown Counting down to: Summer Vacation
Old 02-21-17, 10:51 AM   #29
DVD Talk Hero

Man, the Dodgers are loaded this year. I had missed that they signed Franklin Gutierrez and brought back Chase Utley last week. They've got TEN legitimate starters on their roster -- after trading away DeLeon (Kershaw, Maeda, Hill, Kazmir, Brandon McCarthy, Ryu, Brock Stewart, Ross Stripling, Urais, Alex Wood). Last year they had a record 28 players on the DL and tied a record with 55 players used. This year, they'll be ready.

If they don't make it to the World Series, I'll be disappointed.

GAME CENTER ID : DECKER 01

I haven't seen Evil Dead 2.....yet.
Old 02-22-17, 05:11 AM   #30
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Looks like they approved(according to ESPN.com) that MLB will allow a signal from the dugout to allow an IBB(that's 100 percent horseshit).

Seen last night during a college baseball game a relief pitcher threw three straight bad pitches on an IBB and the last pitch got away from the catcher allowing the winning run to score in the bottom of the 11th inning in a game between Stephen F Austin and Texas A & M.
Old 02-22-17, 07:57 AM   #31
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Not a fan of the IBB rule ... I really think they are way too focused on the time of the game versus the pace and enjoyment of the game.

This does not help either
Old 02-22-17, 07:58 AM   #32
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

^^ I hate this rule change. I hate any rule change affecting baseball (short of replay). Baseball is what it has been for over 100 years... it's a slow, calculated game.
"Do u know how hard is it to won one oscar award? now ur simply referring him to motherfucker, but he deserve huge respect, even he win nobel prize, there is no surprise in it. first of all learn respect" - Ganesh Ujwal
XBox Live = Stiffy Goat11
Old 02-22-17, 09:31 AM   #33
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I am a huge Yankees fan, but man, Fuck the Yankees.

Individual tickets go on sale today for MC holders, they seriously jacked up the prices for some key dates/games. For Jeter's jersey retirement night, BLEACHER seats are $90.

Fuck that noise.
Old 02-22-17, 09:40 AM   #34
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob V View Post
^^ I hate this rule change. I hate any rule change affecting baseball (short of replay). Baseball is what it has been for over 100 years... it's a slow, calculated game.
Keep the batters in the box and the pitchers on the mound.

If they want to change something - ban batting gloves.
Old 02-22-17, 10:48 AM   #35
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.A. View Post

....and catchers visiting the mound when the score is 15-1 with 2 outs in the bottom of the ninth.
Old 02-22-17, 11:28 AM   #36
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvd-4-life View Post
....and catchers visiting the mound when the score is 15-1 with 2 outs in the bottom of the ninth.
more than sensible.
Old 02-22-17, 11:38 AM   #37
DVD Talk Hero

New Cardinal Dexter Fowler's wife is Iranian, and said he was uncomfortable with the new travel ban, and of course that opened up a shitstorm of comments. #neverreadthecomments

Quote:
Fowler hadn’t sought to make a grand political statement. His wife, Aliya, was born in Iran, and he was talking about how the president’s executive order seeking to severely curtail immigration from seven Muslim-majority countries affected his family. The law had mucked up his sister-in-law’s travel plans, and Fowler said he no longer was comfortable visiting Iran with his young daughter.

“It’s huge,” Fowler told ESPN.com. “Especially any time you’re not able to see your family, it’s unfortunate.”
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/how-10-...171623704.html
Challenges: Action 2017 | Academy Award 2017 | TV on DVD* 2017 | Holiday 2016 | Comedy 2016 | Horror 2016 | Criterion 2016 | Animation 2016 | Sci-Fi 2016 | Historical 2016 | Make-Your-Own 2016 | Drive-In 2016 | Leap Day 2016
Old 02-22-17, 12:07 PM   #38
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvd-4-life View Post
This .. I generally do not like different rules at different parts of the game .. but a pre-7th inning/7-inning-on set of rules for pace of play might actually make sense
Old 02-22-17, 12:24 PM   #39
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearFan View Post
This .. I generally do not like different rules at different parts of the game .. but a pre-7th inning/7-inning-on set of rules for pace of play might actually make sense
Yeah, I recoiled at first, but other sports have different rules in the final two minutes.
Challenges: Action 2017 | Academy Award 2017 | TV on DVD* 2017 | Holiday 2016 | Comedy 2016 | Horror 2016 | Criterion 2016 | Animation 2016 | Sci-Fi 2016 | Historical 2016 | Make-Your-Own 2016 | Drive-In 2016 | Leap Day 2016
Old 02-22-17, 12:32 PM   #40
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quack View Post
but man, Fuck the Yankees.
Always good to read.

"we get paid for butt time" - mosquitobite

"It felt much more comfortable when I was trying them on. No sharp edge poking my skin." - Buford T. Pusser
Old 02-22-17, 01:32 PM   #41
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidh777 View Post
Yeah, I recoiled at first, but other sports have different rules in the final two minutes.
I'm still not sure I like it ... but if the goal is to move the games along and keep the later innings stuff in place and not have a game lost because of "trying to speed up the game" .. that is the way to do it.

Personally, I think just limiting the step outs at the plate, stepping off the rubber, count a catchers visit to the mound as a visit will do just fine.

Teams will adjust and they will get their "guy on second" signs worked out ahead of time.

I really think they can accomplish what they want without major changes
Old 02-22-17, 03:33 PM   #42
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:

I agree with that and almost typed it out... BUT, what if you don't stay on the mound or in the batter's box? Does the umpire assess a ball or strike to the pitcher / batter? It feels like it'll become more clustered with the time it takes to do that.... then the ensuing argument from said player, then manager runs out there, etc, etc.
"Do u know how hard is it to won one oscar award? now ur simply referring him to motherfucker, but he deserve huge respect, even he win nobel prize, there is no surprise in it. first of all learn respect" - Ganesh Ujwal
XBox Live = Stiffy Goat11
Old 02-22-17, 04:45 PM   #43
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob V View Post
I agree with that and almost typed it out... BUT, what if you don't stay on the mound or in the batter's box? Does the umpire assess a ball or strike to the pitcher / batter? It feels like it'll become more clustered with the time it takes to do that.... then the ensuing argument from said player, then manager runs out there, etc, etc.
That is really the problem with a lot of this. Maybe a smarter move would be to implement this pace of game stuff in the minors and hope the players coming up will get into that habit and move the game along quicker if/when they make it to MLB. Really unless you have some limit on times stepping out of the box or a pitch clock (which I would hate), it would be very subjective and a giant clusterfuck when it gets called
Old 02-23-17, 11:48 AM   #44
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:

Easy isn't it? Just enforce the rules. Also I have heard many people complain about the batting gloves as well. I say blame Nomar.

I (old now and love the game) do not have a problem with MLB games. I do understand the frustration that others may have. My only problem is the constant pitching changes late in the game.
Old 02-23-17, 11:53 AM   #45
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashback View Post
Easy isn't it? Just enforce the rules. Also I have heard many people complain about the batting gloves as well. I say blame Nomar.

I (old now and love the game) do not have a problem with MLB games. I do understand the frustration that others may have. My only problem is the constant pitching changes late in the game.
Yeah-I've always said that the one inning relief pitcher is ruining baseball.
Old 02-23-17, 03:39 PM   #46
DVD Talk Legend

Baseball is a very strategic game and I would like to see it stay as close to the same as it always has. If you don't have the time to "waste" to watch a two and a half hour game, you probably don't have the time to watch a 3 plus hour game.
Old 02-23-17, 03:49 PM   #47
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsa_shea View Post
Baseball is a very strategic game and I would like to see it stay as close to the same as it always has. If you don't have the time to "waste" to watch a two and a half hour game, you probably don't have the time to watch a 3 plus hour game.
I think there are things you can do to shorten the length of games without drastically changing the game and those changes would be fine but I ultimately agree with this. Baseball is a leisure sport. You just watch. If 3 hours is too long for you, start watching in the third inning.

Though I do get the need to accommodate new fans, so such is life.
Old 02-24-17, 04:41 AM   #48
DVD Talk Limited Edition

According to CBS.com ,Rob Manfred(MLB Commish) will have a lot more power next season concerning rule change's too speed up play in MLB.

I think MLBPA are 100 percent against any rule changes. Same goes true for RSNs(YES Network,NESN etc.) who need longer games (because of the lack of otherwise live programming).
Old 02-24-17, 08:41 AM   #49
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashback View Post
+++++
Old 02-24-17, 08:42 AM   #50
DVD Talk Hero

http://stlouis.cardinals.mlb.com/tic...e.jsp?c_id=stl