Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Old 04-26-17, 09:18 AM   #151
DVD Talk Legend

Re: 2017 Tennis Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronHernandez View Post
The only thing that has hindered Serena's not earning as much as Sharapova is being an actual human being. The people with the biggest endorsement like Jeter,Jordan,Peyton etc are more calculated with what they say or do in public then even most politicians are.

Also Maria in Eastern Europe is huge in way no female athlete has ever been in the Us. People don't realize that female tennis players in Russia,Slovenia, Czech Republic are followed with a furvor that rocks star and Kim Kardashian get. Add to it that part of the world still talk about black people the way a white person in America did in the 30's it's hard not to make the case that race probably has hurt Serena in certain part of the globe.
Race probably hurt her? It most surely did, regardless of whether jfoobar thinks it's ludicrous. And the fact that Sharapova is stunningly beautiful and Serena is not and it's not hard to see why Sharapova made much more than her in endorsements.

Of course, society's standards of beauty are also racially based, but jfoobar thinks that's ludicrous.

I don't doubt that Serena's prickly personality has hindered her some too, so I agree there.

"we get paid for butt time" - mosquitobite

"It felt much more comfortable when I was trying them on. No sharp edge poking my skin." - Buford T. Pusser
Old 04-26-17, 05:58 PM   #152
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah when you look at where the endorsement bread is buttered for tennis it definitely plays a factor in a way that doesn't hurt black athlete's or at least not nearly to the degree in other sports. Their is a rich white audience who thought Roddick and MacEnroe's on court behaivor was cute but when Serena does the same thing not near as frequently people project their views about lower class blacks on her and think she is inappropriate.
Old 04-29-17, 05:53 PM   #153
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by LurkerDan View Post
Of course, society's standards of beauty are also racially based, but jfoobar thinks that's ludicrous.
I said that assertions that her making less in endorsements than Maria was racism were mostly ludicrous. "Racially based", a term that most people would agree has a different connotation, I agree with. It is pretty well-established that black women are the least desired of the four major ethnic groups in the U.S. at least, at least according to dating studies. That said, she is not especially attractive anyway. If Serena looked like Sloane Stephens, even with the same prickly personality, she would make substantially more in endorsement dollars.

Quote:
And the fact that Sharapova is stunningly beautiful and Serena is not and it's not hard to see why Sharapova made much more than her in endorsements.
Bingo.

Speaking of Maria, had a pretty good showing in her first tournament back (Stuttgart, indoor clay), knocking out Vinci, Mararova and Kontaveit (who had herself just beat Muguruza) before dropping a tight three-setter to Mladenovic in the semis.
Old 05-01-17, 12:54 AM   #154
DVD Talk Legend

Nadal wins another clay tournament, what a surprise.

Over 5000 Blu-rays ranked by pure video quality.
Old 05-08-17, 09:29 PM   #155
DVD Talk Legend

WTG Genie!

MADRID — Motivated more than usual, Eugenie Bouchard used her game to send a message to Maria Sharapova by defeating the Russian 7-5, 2-6, 6-4 in a thrilling second-round match at the Madrid Open on Monday.

Bouchard, one of the most outspoken players against Sharapova's return to tennis following a doping ban, jumped up and down after converting her second match point in just under three hours.
The players casually shook hands at the net and exchanged brief plaudits.

It was their first meeting since Bouchard called Sharapova a cheater and said she should have been banned for life from the sport after testing positive for meldonium at last year's Australian Open.

PSN tag: spacemunky49
Old 05-13-17, 04:05 PM   #156
DVD Talk Hero

The way things are going with the top players, Fed might as well play RG, he might win it. Nadal is the obvious early favorite but Fed beat him the last 3 times they played. Possibly beating Nadal in an RG final should be motivation enough, considering he'd add a huge checkmark to his resume.
Old 05-13-17, 05:17 PM   #157
DVD Talk Legend

Peculiar, how the last couple of years have transpired on the men's side. Never thought I'd see Federer contend again, let alone that he would get the mental upper hand on Nadal.
"Another day, another dolour." -Me
Old 05-15-17, 03:01 PM   #158
DVD Talk Legend

I imagine Nadal will be favored to win the FO. Both Murray and Djokovic aren't playing anywhere near their top form. Federer winning the FO would be the most improbable title of his great career. I think he is saving everything for Wimbledon.

Old 05-15-17, 03:52 PM   #159
DVD Talk Hero

He just had 2 months off plus another 3 weeks (after RG) before Wimbledon where he'll only play Halle. I'm not buying the "saving everything for Wimbeldon" argument. The most taxing thing about tennis is the grind of having to play tournament after tournament. That doesn't apply to Federer.

Edited: And right after I post that...

Roger Federer: Swiss 18-time Grand Slam winner to miss French Open

Last edited by eXcentris; 05-15-17 at 04:11 PM.
Old 05-15-17, 10:44 PM   #160

Not too surprising. Hopefully this will lead to a Wimbledon title.
Old 05-16-17, 01:02 PM   #161
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post
I imagine Nadal will be favored to win the FO. Both Murray and Djokovic aren't playing anywhere near their top form. Federer winning the FO would be the most improbable title of his great career. I think he is saving everything for Wimbledon.
Don't forget about Wawrinka. He has had a very lackadaisical clay court season so far, but he has always been a "break glass for big tournaments" player anyway. But yeah, unless Stan can step up, hard to imagine Nadal not winning the FO this year if he is healthy.
Old 05-16-17, 05:18 PM   #162
DVD Talk Hero

No Sharapova at RG:

Quote:
Maria Sharapova will miss the French Open after tournament officials decided not to give the two-time champion a wildcard.
Old 05-16-17, 08:57 PM   #163
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXcentris View Post
No Sharapova at RG:
I'm probably in the minority, but I am unhappy about this. She has served her sentence and she is a two-time champion. She should be in the draw.
Old 05-17-17, 12:48 PM   #164
DVD Talk Hero

Well that would place you in the minority of those who are wrong.

Her current ranking is what it is. Why would she be entitled to a favor after serving a doping suspension?
That makes no sense to me because it sends the wrong message.
Old 05-17-17, 01:59 PM   #165
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Her current ranking is what it is.
That's deep. Her current ranking is a reflection of her long suspension and not on her relative skill as a tennis player, just as if she had suffered from a long-term injury.

Quote:
Why would she be entitled to a favor after serving a doping suspension?
I don't know who used the word "entitled". That said, she violated doping rules, was punished and served her punishment. Her slate is clean, legally and ethically. She is also clearly one of the 5-6 best women's tennis players in the world right now, easily superior to the vast majority of the women's singles draw, and is a two-time champion. People often forget that the French Open 100% exists for the fans, and the fans are entitled to see the best tennis players who are able, willing and eligible to compete. Sharapova is able, willing and eligible. While not ethically-relevant, I would be remiss if I didn't point out that her participation would be a boon for television ratings even if Serena was playing, which she isn't.

Quote:
That makes no sense to me because it sends the wrong message.
As opposed to the message that it is OK to keep punishing someone even after they have "served their time"?
Old 05-17-17, 02:41 PM   #166
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfoobar View Post
I'm probably in the minority, but I am unhappy about this. She has served her sentence and she is a two-time champion. She should be in the draw.
I think she should be in the draw as well. I suspect they think she has a legitimate shot at making a deep run, which would quickly give her ranking points for future tournaments. The WTA wants to force her to play smaller events to build up her ranking again and this is their way of handling it.

It's clear after the past two years that Sharapova has almost no friends on tour or at the WTA. I wonder if we will ever really know the behind-the-scenes dirt between Sharapova and the tour.

Old 05-17-17, 07:05 PM   #167
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfoobar View Post
That's deep. Her current ranking is a reflection of her long suspension and not on her relative skill as a tennis player, just as if she had suffered from a long-term injury.
Apples and oranges. There is such a thing as "protected ranking" for injured players. There is no such thing for suspended players for obvious reasons.

The stuff about what fans want or what is better for tv is irrelevant. She is solely responsible for her current predicament/ranking and not giving the 211th player in the world a wild card is no more "punishment" than not giving the 212th player one.

Now you might ask why she's getting wild cards at some tournaments and not some others and that would be a fair point (however, slams are sanctioned by the ITF, not the ATP which is an important distinction). Personally, I woudn't have given her wild cards anywhere. If you're serious about fighting doping in tennis, which is the ITF's job, I don't get why the bad optics of doing a favor for someone who just got back from suspension needs to be explained.

The majority of players and "tennis people" back that decision. The head of the WTA is pissed because it's his job to sell the WTA.

Last edited by eXcentris; 05-17-17 at 08:49 PM.
Old 05-17-17, 08:59 PM   #168
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Apples and oranges. There is such a thing as "protected ranking" for injured players. There is no such thing for suspended players for obvious reasons.
My mistake, I didn't think the WTA even had protected rankings. I knew the ATP did.

Quote:
The stuff about what fans want or what is better for tv is irrelevant.
Obviously, and this is a horrible, horrible attitude. They are the only reason professional tennis exists. The best tournament the French Open can offer within its own rules has Sharapova in the draw. They are an entertainment company that is now deliberately delivering an inferior entertainment product to its fans.

Quote:
She is solely responsible for her current predicament/ranking and not giving the 211th player in the world a wild card is no more "punishment" than not giving the 212th player one.
Something that only makes sense if we pretend that Sharapova isn't one of the very best tennis players in the world.

Quote:
If you're serious about fighting doping in tennis, which is the ITF's job, I don't get why the bad optics of doing a favor for someone who just got back from suspension needs to be explained.

The majority of players and "tennis people" back that decision. The head of the WTA is pissed because it's his job to sell the WTA.
If they are serious about fighting doping in tennis, they test for doping and punish violators with long suspensions. They did both of these things. The boxes have been checked.

As for what "tennis people" think, who gives a shit? This isn't about them.
Old 05-18-17, 02:34 AM   #169
DVD Talk Hero

Ok then, let me put it this way: I understand why fans are not happy, but I also understand and back the decision that's been made.
Old 05-18-17, 04:49 AM   #170
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Ok then, let me put it this way: I understand why fans are not happy, but I also understand and back the decision that's been made.
Well, hell, I agree with you there.
Old 05-21-17, 12:39 PM   #171
DVD Talk Hero

Interesting how Rome played out:

Thiem beat Nadal, not that surprising considering how much Nadal had played.
Djokovic obliterates Thiem 6-1, 6-0, hmmm is the Djoker back or was Thiem also out of gas?
Zverev beats Djokovic to win title by putting on a serving clinic (zero break points).

Zverev becomes the 1st player born in the 90's to win a Masters title.
Old 05-21-17, 04:16 PM   #172
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Thiem beat Nadal, not that surprising considering how much Nadal had played.
Djokovic obliterates Thiem 6-1, 6-0, hmmm is the Djoker back or was Thiem also out of gas?
And even though Djoko is now 5-0 against Thiem lifetime with only one set dropped, this was easily the most one-sided of the five as well.

Edit: Did not see the final so don't know if they announced it then, but Andre Agassi will coach Djokovic at the FO.

Last edited by jfoobar; 05-21-17 at 04:40 PM.