DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Old 03-20-17, 07:34 PM   #126
DVD Talk Hero

Re: 2017 Tennis Thread

What'd Fed's been doing right after a 6 month layoff, and at 35, is astonishing. Ivan Ljubičić has a lot to do with this new "suffocating" attacking style, and his BH is now a weapon. Miami is faster than IW so it should suit his play even better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfoobar
Pretty good showing for a couple of old women in the women's final as well. Biggest singles win of Vesnina's career.
I had to do a double take and check if there was another Vesnina out there.
Old 03-22-17, 05:07 PM   #127
DVD Talk Hero

I don't think I've ever seen a huge lizard (iguana) interrupt a tennis match before. It was catching some rays on top of a scoreboard (ground level, back corner) and woudn't move. Took them 8 min to figure out they should remove it. Haas went to his bag, took his phone and went to take a selfie with the iguana. Then they tried to catch it, it jumped down and started running on the court. And the ref gave Haas a code violation because you can't use your phone on court. The whole thing was hilariously surreal.
Old 03-31-17, 02:36 PM   #128
DVD Talk Legend

Watching Krygios and Zverev play three tense sets last night in Miami made me think I was watching a preview of future Grand Slam finals.

Over 5000 Blu-rays ranked by pure video quality.
Old 04-02-17, 05:48 PM   #129
DVD Talk Hero

Fed again. Is this 2007?
Old 04-02-17, 05:53 PM   #130
DVD Talk Legend

The real final in Miami was that Federer-Kyrgios match, which was only the seventh time in Fed's history that each set went to tiebreaker. I thought Kyrgios outplayed him but Fed used his veteran smarts to outlast the younger player.

Kyrgios is now playing like a top-five player without a doubt.

Old 04-02-17, 06:11 PM   #131

It helps not to act like a petulant child in big matches. And I thought Novak used to be hothead before he won Slams, sheesh. Did Kyrgios graduate from the Jimmy Conners Tennis Academy for Jerks? The kid is 21 now, he'd better get it together and fast. He doesn't have a coach, but who in their right mind would want to coach him? Yeah, so someone yelled "out", as if that's the first time it has happened. Happened to Fed in the same match. Boohoo Nick. Go get a shrink already.
Old 04-02-17, 06:33 PM   #132

Federer is playing like The Six Million Dollar Man, but you can tell he needs to probably take some r&r before he gets sidelined again. Sounds like he's skipping Monte Carlo - probably the right decision. He had some luck with Berdych and Kyrgios, certainly, but he's fighting as hard as any player I've seen, including Rafa. If anyone has seen Roger's training video from Dubai a few months back, then you know he was serious about getting back to the top level. In hindsight, his knee injury was the best thing to happen to him. He's moving around better than he has in years, and his mental toughness is huge right now. And it's not like Rafa has been playing badly, far from it.
Old 04-02-17, 07:22 PM   #133
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

So happy to see Fed playing this way again.

Did I read correctly that he's not going to play ANY clay events before the French? So essentially he's taking the next 7 weeks off?
Old 04-02-17, 08:07 PM   #134

Missed the Brad Gilbert interview initially, but at this point that's correct. Fed should probably play Madrid if serious about Roland Garros, but at the same time he's barely defending any points from Monte Carlo and Italian Open, and none at RG. He basically feels no pressure except to keep fit. After all his success this year, I can hardly blame him.
Old 04-02-17, 11:29 PM   #135
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, he said in post match interview that he woudn't play until RG, but this is probably an "I'll see how I feel" type of thing. Anyway, aside from the Masters, there are smaller clay court events in Europe pretty much every week until RG so if he wants to play, there's no lack of choice.
Old 04-03-17, 02:33 PM   #136
DVD Talk Legend

At this stage in his career there is almost no chance Federer could win the French, so I don't see much point in him playing a grueling clay-court schedule. The points on clay are too long and what drove Nadal into the ground. The French will be wide open this year if Murray and Djokovic falter.

It looks to me like Federer has added some muscle to his lower body during the long lay-off. He's completely re-engineered his forehand mechanics, taking into account his more powerful racket. Very few established players could have done that with any success. I'm not the biggest Fed fan but he's an undeniably amazing tennis talent. He would have been great in any era of tennis.

The year-end top ten is going to look much different than recent years. The race for number one will be interesting.

Old 04-19-17, 06:43 PM   #137
DVD Talk Special Edition

Serena williams is pegnant and will be out rest of 2017 season.
Old 04-19-17, 07:58 PM   #138
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronHernandez View Post
Serena williams is pegnant and will be out rest of 2017 season.
I had to double check that this was confirmed. It was still officially speculation just couple of hours ago. This is fantastic news for everyone involved, most especially women's tennis fans.

It will be interesting to see how sharp Maria will be when she comes back in a month or so and whether she can take advantage.
Old 04-20-17, 02:15 PM   #139
DVD Talk Special Edition

Most likely scenario will be ending up with 4 different Grand Slam Champions on the Women's side and Wozniacki ending the year as a Slamless #1.
Old 04-20-17, 03:13 PM   #140
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfoobar View Post
This is fantastic news for everyone involved, most especially women's tennis fans.
Really? Women's tennis fans? Or just you? Because she seems like a pretty good draw for women's tennis.

"we get paid for butt time" - mosquitobite

"It felt much more comfortable when I was trying them on. No sharp edge poking my skin." - Buford T. Pusser
Old 04-20-17, 06:29 PM   #141
DVD Talk Legend

It's fantastic news for Serena. For the WTA, it's a disaster. The WTA just lost their one big draw now that Sharapova's reputation is in the garbage.

I know she has said she will play in 2018, but I think we may have already seen the last Slam Serena will win.

Old 04-20-17, 11:46 PM   #142
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by LurkerDan View Post
Really? Women's tennis fans? Or just you? Because she seems like a pretty good draw for women's tennis.
Exactly. Serena is Women's tennis. The only other big draw they have is Sharapova and she is coming of a year long suspension for using performance enhancers.

Look at Wilmbedon's ratings for Womens finals when Serena isnt playing.

http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2015...-rematch-flat/
Old 04-21-17, 04:25 PM   #143
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrush View Post
Exactly. Serena is Women's tennis. The only other big draw they have is Sharapova and she is coming of a year long suspension for using performance enhancers.
1. Serena is women's tennis because she has been women's tennis, not because she is particularly charismatic or even well-liked outside of the U.S. You cannot have the "next big thing" in women's tennis until Serena stops winning. This was an inevitability anyway, but now it will happen just a little faster.

Yes, it won't be good for ratings if the next several slams are won by players like Bartoli, Pennetta or even (*gulp*) Wozniacki, but it will be very good for women's tennis if post-Serena engenders a new era of a handful of competitive rivalry a la the men's game.

2. Sharapova is going to get huge ratings when she comes back and she will keep them if she plays well, in part because she is coming off of a suspension.

Quote:
Look at Wilmbedon's ratings for Womens finals when Serena isnt playing.
And you post U.S./ESPN TV ratings? Of course Serena matches are going to be higher-rated than finals that feature no Americans in America. You do realize that the U.S. audience is only a moderate slice of the worldwide TV audience, right?
Old 04-21-17, 05:01 PM   #144
DVD Talk Special Edition

American tennis fans are not Jingoistic. Rafa and Roger are bigger stars in the Us then Sampras ever was. Likewise its not just that Serena is American,or the 1st all time great African American in a predominantly white sport, she is a big personality and leaves her heart on her sleeve every match in a dramatic way that Graff,Chrissy,Venus,Martina etc ever did.

Also Serena being out for a year or two doesn't gurantee any rivalries or dominant figures will emerge. Serena was just 1 player in the draw it's not like she is responsible when another top ranked player get's upset by some journeywoman in an early round of a slam.
Old 04-22-17, 10:25 AM   #145
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
1. Serena is women's tennis because she has been women's tennis, not because she is particularly charismatic or even well-liked outside of the U.S.
Pete Sampras had all the charisma and personality of a pile of wet newspaper. The sport is about dominance. Plus her personality hasn't hindered her marketability.

Quote:
She ranks second among active athletes, behind only LeBron James in the U.S., on Repucom’s CelebrityDBI, which tracks consumer perceptions of celebrities based on awareness, as well as seven attributes. Her 89% awareness level ranks in the top 3% of the nearly 4,000 celebrities Repucom follows, and she scores highly on the aspiration and influence attributes in particular.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/kurtbad.../#5b76e62d1fda

Quote:
Yes, it won't be good for ratings if the next several slams are won by players like Bartoli, Pennetta or even (*gulp*) Wozniacki, but it will be very good for women's tennis if post-Serena engenders a new era of a handful of competitive rivalry a la the men's game.

It doesn't really work like that. When Tiger Woods went away so did the TV audience that tuned in just to see him. That audience didn't magically discover other Golfers once he wasn't around. Much like Tiger, people tune in to see Serena. If shes not around they don't stay to watch other people play. They change the channel.

Your letting your dislike for Serena blind you to how important she actually is for Womens Tennis. Will the sport go on? Of course it will. But Tennis has always been about stars driving the sport and losing the biggest one they've had in 2 decades will in no way be a positive. As you claim it will be.

Last edited by Thrush; 04-22-17 at 10:35 AM.
Old 04-22-17, 01:47 PM   #146
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrush View Post
Pete Sampras had all the charisma and personality of a pile of wet newspaper. The sport is about dominance. Plus her personality hasn't hindered her marketability.
Actually, it most definitely has hindered her marketability. Pre-scandal, Sharapova out-earned her by a substantial margin in endorsement dollars. Many have been quick to chalk this up to racism (which is mostly ludicrous), but it was mostly to do with her slippery personality and the perception of her personal attributes. Of course she still has and will continue to make millions off the court because she is the greatest female tennis player of all time. Dominant athletes in major sports pretty much always do.

Quote:
She ranks second among active athletes, behind only LeBron James in the U.S., on Repucomís CelebrityDBI, which tracks consumer perceptions of celebrities based on awareness, as well as seven attributes. Her 89% awareness level ranks in the top 3% of the nearly 4,000 celebrities Repucom follows, and she scores highly on the aspiration and influence attributes in particular.
Speaking of slippery. She ranks highly in awareness. Of course she does. No one is arguing, least of all me, that Serena is not one of the most recognizable athletes in the world.

Quote:
It doesn't really work like that. When Tiger Woods went away so did the TV audience that tuned in just to see him. That audience didn't magically discover other Golfers once he wasn't around. Much like Tiger, people tune in to see Serena.
OK, a few points here:

1. Tiger, pre-scandal, was far more popular than Serena. Not famous, but popular. He also had a much larger audience growth impact on golf than Serena has had on tennis. Serena's impact in this regard has been substantial as well, undoubtedly, but the two are not in the same ballpark.

2. Yes, some significant of fans will change the channel if Serena is not there, but my comment was that this would be good for women's tennis fans, not the ITF/WTA. Those are two very different things. Women's tennis, like virtually all sports, benefits from parity at the top. This is doubly true when the dominant force in a sport that lacks parity is not charismatic or particularly well-liked. Roger Federer she is not, nor has she ever been.

Serena's departure is a step in the right direction for fans, other than those who only watched to see Serena who, let's be honest, aren't really women's tennis fans.

And if I may tread water in the biased sample fallacy pool for a moment, I think for every fan who loses interest because she is not playing there may eventually be close to a 1 for 1 replacement from fans who have lost interest in women's tennis because of her dominance.
Old 04-22-17, 08:22 PM   #147
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Serena's departure is a step in the right direction for fans, other than those who only watched to see Serena who, let's be honest, aren't really women's tennis fans.
So your argument is women's Tennis will be better for the fans once Serena is gone. OK, replace Serena's name with Federer. Do you think mens Tennis fans will be better off once hes gone?
Old 04-22-17, 10:02 PM   #148
DVD Talk Legend

Golf's ratings and popularity are tanking in America now that Tiger's career is all but over as a dominant champion.

Getting back to tennis, I've paid close attention to Djokovic at Monte Carlo. He lost to Goffin for one of the first times in his career. Djokovic is not playing like a top-five player and I don't think anything is going to change for the foreseeable future. He's lost half a step on defense and his forehand isn't the same weapon it was just a year ago.

Old 04-25-17, 03:58 PM   #149
DVD Talk Hero

At this point it's tough to see Djokovic ever winning another Slam, but I think he will come back to form.
Old 04-25-17, 10:42 PM   #150
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Actually, it most definitely has hindered her marketability. Pre-scandal, Sharapova out-earned her by a substantial margin in endorsement dollars.
The only thing that has hindered Serena's not earning as much as Sharapova is being an actual human being. The people with the biggest endorsement like Jeter,Jordan,Peyton etc are more calculated with what they say or do in public then even most politicians are.

Also Maria in Eastern Europe is huge in way no female athlete has ever been in the Us. People don't realize that female tennis players in Russia,Slovenia, Czech Republic are followed with a furvor that rocks star and Kim Kardashian get. Add to it that part of the world still talk about black people the way a white person in America did in the 30's it's hard not to make the case that race probably has hurt Serena in certain part of the globe.