Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Old 01-17-17, 10:38 AM   #101
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: The 2017 Pro Wrestling Thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny Corinthos View Post
Jericho and Owens ruin Raw for me. I wish WWE would go in another direction instead of these two guys getting all the air time.
Don't watch the first 15 minutes and the last 15 minutes and the problem is solved.

They did the same shit with Seth Rollins when he was World Champ. It was almost written in stone that he would be on the mic the first 15 minutes of RAW.
Old 01-17-17, 10:46 AM   #102
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny Corinthos View Post
Jericho and Owens ruin Raw for me. I wish WWE would go in another direction instead of these two guys getting all the air time.

you stupid idiot!
There is a master key and a spare key for the office. Dwight has them both. When I asked, "what if you die, Dwight? How will we get into the office?" He said, "if I'm dead, you guys have been dead for weeks."
Old 01-17-17, 06:30 PM   #103
DVD Talk Special Edition

So I heard that The Natural Disasters are going to be going in this year as a tag team to the HOF. Noting against John Tenta(who I always liked) but it's completely ridiculous that they made it in before Demolition, The British Bulldogs or The Rockers. Demolition especially since Demolition were actual legit draws for WWE and even main evented.
Old 01-17-17, 07:55 PM   #104
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Demolition are currently suing the WWE. Dynamite Kid would never be allowed to appear on a WWE stage for a multitude of reasons. (same reason Windham went in for the Horsemen instead of Ole). Also I doubt they want to induct a guy who is in a wheelchair from wrestling.

The Rockers and The Hart Foundation should both be in, but with Michaels and Hart both in already, it might not be a priority.

I'd like to see The Steiner Brothers, Harlem Heat, The Midnight Express and The Rock n Roll Express go in, but they were mainly NWA/WCW teams so it could be awhile.

The HOF is really lacking tag teams though, thats for sure.

I just hope Fred Ott aka Typhoon/Tugboat makes mention of the Shockmaster.
Old 01-17-17, 08:07 PM   #105
DVD Talk Legend

Scott Steiner is in the mathematicians' hall of fame

Old 01-17-17, 08:10 PM   #106
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by robin2099 View Post
So I heard that The Natural Disasters are going to be going in this year as a tag team to the HOF. Noting against John Tenta(who I always liked) but it's completely ridiculous that they made it in before Demolition, The British Bulldogs or The Rockers. Demolition especially since Demolition were actual legit draws for WWE and even main evented.
The Shockmaster in the HOF...
Old 01-17-17, 09:20 PM   #107
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I would like too see get in HOF this year:
Vader
King Kong Bundy
One Man Gang
Kamala
Old 01-18-17, 11:13 AM   #108
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
The Shockmaster in the HOF...
If that doesn't explain how much of a joke WWE's HOF is I don't know what is. On Something to Wrestle with Bruce Prichard he said how there is no rhyme or reason as to who ends up in the HOF and I'm beginning to see it.
Old 01-18-17, 11:27 AM   #109
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
If that doesn't explain how much of a joke WWE's HOF is I don't know what is. On Something to Wrestle with Bruce Prichard he said how there is no rhyme or reason as to who ends up in the HOF and I'm beginning to see it.
They have to fill the show with 5 nominees each WrestleMania weekend and there are not 5 individuals/teams that are deserving each year when you remove the grudges.
Old 01-18-17, 02:43 PM   #110
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Hall of Fame is actually the hall of people who are on good terms with Vince (or dead) and who are likely to draw a paying crowd to see them be inducted.

-----
PSN: CactusKind
Old 01-18-17, 02:54 PM   #111
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I don't get to follow newer wrestling, but will WWE ever build an actual Hall of Fame and museum? I think it would be fun to go and see such a place for all the history of pro wrestling.
Old 01-18-17, 04:35 PM   #112
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Demolition was treated like crap as soon as Vince got his hands on The Road Warriors. When Ax left there was really no reason to job Smash and Crush out at WM7 to two guys 99% of the audience had never heard of, but Vince had already planned on breaking them up. Strangely enough, Demolition went over the same two guys in Japan. This is where they started losing credibility and why the program with LoD was purposely doomed from the start.

All the players were in position for WM8 to be a HUGE card, (Hogan/Flair, LoD/Demolition, Sid/Ut, Michaels/Hart for the IC title and the already planned Warrior/Savage rematch).

Sure, the first two (Flair/Hogan, LoD/Demolition) worked poorly together on house shows but who cares? WM6's main event was completely rehearsed prior to the event! Hogan was leaving after Wm8, and Demolition was Vince's creation. He didn't want Flair or LoD going over on them at WM. Instead, we have Savage going over Flair and a crappy DQ in the main event.
Old 01-18-17, 10:27 PM   #113

Wrestlemania 8 was still pretty damn awesome. Considering all the great Bret Hart/Shawn Michaels matches to come, I'm glad we got to see Piper/Hart instead, as it really only happened the once. And I love that match. Too bad about Savage/Warrior 2, but I'm glad we got Savage/Flair instead of Hogan/Flair. Hogan/Sid was probably Hogan's worst Mania match (unless you count Hogan/Yokozuna as a match) but the Warrior run in and fire works pose down made up for it.
Old 01-18-17, 10:34 PM   #114

Quote:
I see it a little different. John Tenta is 100% deserving of being in the HOF. Typhoon is just riding Earthquakes wave (pun intended) into the HOF and seeing as Earthquake isn't around to make a speech at least they have someone who can share some stories. He's basically John Tenta's proxy.
Old 01-19-17, 04:29 AM   #115
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel Motes View Post
I see it a little different. John Tenta is 100% deserving of being in the HOF. Typhoon is just riding Earthquakes wave (pun intended) into the HOF and seeing as Earthquake isn't around to make a speech at least they have someone who can share some stories. He's basically John Tenta's proxy.
I always thought that OMG should have went in last year with Big Boss Man because they had formed a pretty awesome heel tag team(OMG being Akeem).
Old 01-19-17, 04:38 AM   #116
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Would be really nice if they put Vader in this year given his medical condition.
Old 01-19-17, 08:34 AM   #117
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Stevie Ray Says Hulk Hogan Is Lying About How The N Word Was Used In WCW.

Former WCW Tag Team Champion Stevie Ray of Harlem Heat recently appeared on the "Murder Master Music Show" with Prez and Mac Jay.

On Booker T calling Hulk Hogan a "n---a" on live pay-per-view:
We were doing a live pay per view and we had cut a promo earlier that day, we are getting to go to the ring and one of the production guys said we had to redo the promo because someone messed it up.

We were like "What the f--k man?" You just don't do it on a pay-per-view, it leaves a chance for a f--k up. This is live! We were in the corner going over the match with each other and this is the s--t people don't know about, and now we are talking about Hulk Hogan, and I'm like, "We don't have a damn thing to do with Hulk Hogan."

So now we are trying to think about what to say during the interview. It went viral years later! I kept a straight face because I was focusing on what I was trying to do, I didn't pay attention to what he was saying. I didn't know until afterwards when Booker told me he messed up. He was thinking about two different things at the same time. If that had happened during pre-taping you just cut it out and start over.

On Hogan lying about being called "n---a" by Harlem Heat: We hear Hulk Hogan on an interview and he said, "Booker and his brother use to call us that all the time." The "n word" was not thrown around.

You just don't say the "n word" around people that are not in an African American circle. Nobody can ever say in my whole career can say they ever heard me say the "n word" if they are not Black. It is an unwritten law of ethics.

http://www.wrestlingnewssource.com/n...ing-About-How/
Old 01-19-17, 01:49 PM   #118

Quote:
I haven't watched a Kurt Angle wrestling match since he left WWE, can he still go?
Yeah. He still can.

I'd post a video of him and Cody Rhodes having a match at a WCPW IPPV but I think I need more posts. Is that normal for forums? Just copy and paste this into the url bar above: youtube.com/watch?v=AXEtHg8PXFg

just add the www to it.

First match between him and Cody was a super small independent that I can't find much video on aside from the ending. Then he did the WCPW one i posted. He has a 3rd one again here in the states. He's still easily one of the best active wrestlers now too. Which is really weird cuz since he left WWE.. he's been active. Did work in Japan and working in TNA for most of his career. And for some time after leaving TNA, he's really worked the independents.

If he did come back, there are VERY FEW wrestlers at WWE that can match up to him. He's better now than he ever was in his WWE run. Just awesome of him. He's mentioned that he loved to fight Styles if they let him. They've wrestled back in TNA a few times. At this point, AJ Styles is also at his prime. If they let Angle and Styles just go at it. You'd have a landmark match.

I'm a Mark at this point. He's just had an amazing 2016 with just the independents. Cody Rhodes too.

About WK11 and NJPW:

Are we bubbling up to a rivalry between companies? If rumors are to be trusted, seems like WK11 really shook up WWE. WWE really pissed off NJPW with taking some of their big names pretty much all at once. And now with Omega leading some kind of charge to the USA market too. NJPW's G1 Special is here in the states. And WWE is kind of hitting the Japanese territory stronger than before. I kind of follow NJPW but the matches alone are better anything the WWE produces for the most part. WK11 was better than most of the Wrestlemanias we've gotten too. It was just amazing talent. None of this mediocre storytelling that WWE has. Competition creates creativity but the language barrier for Americans is big hurdle here. They're better than WWE for years now, they just don't have the budget to face off w/ them worldwide. Dave Meltzer made a good note that while WWE has 1 AJ Styles quality wrestler, NJPW has like 4 or 5. And WK11 really showed that. WWE needs competition to get better it's so stale. I watch it just for the matches cuz the writing sucks and it's becoming way too much with the dialogue. Even the matches though are pretty mediocre. All that money and no real push with creativity. I hope NJPW gets bigger to get WWE to really care about the product they put out.
Old 01-19-17, 03:55 PM   #119
DVD Talk Legend

The thing holding NJPW back is the translation... the hardcore will of course tune in but I don't think you can reach the casual market with just a handful of gaijins, especially because WWE will make offers to many of them if they actually become a threat. I don't see the Japanese guys like Okada and Tanahashi and the like moving over, and maybe even someone like Omega, but given enough money I think WWE can lure Elgin, Cole, the Young Bucks, etc.

As far as signing them away all at once, part of that is because NJPW does their contracts all at the same time. And it didn't seem like Nakamura, Styles, etc. left on bad terms.

I also think WWE has a lot of talent, perhaps more indie talent than they've ever had before, they're just not used that way for whatever reason, and they're kind of using NXT and the cruiserweight competitions as the wrestling brand. I mean Cody in NJPW is a big deal, and they did nothing with him. Heck Roderick Strong has nothing to do since the Aries injury, and they just signed the younger half of ReDragon.

Having said that, they just aired the main event of Wrestle Kingdom 11 on AXS for free last week (Omega vs. Okada) and are doing the rest over the next few weeks. I wonder what the ratings were.
Old 01-19-17, 04:00 PM   #120
DVD Talk Legend

You can easily point to the reason that people like the Young Bucks and Omega will never sign with the WWE. Gallows and Anderson. Horribly used and no end in sight.
Old 01-19-17, 04:26 PM   #121
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Wrestlemania 8 was still pretty damn awesome. Considering all the great Bret Hart/Shawn Michaels matches to come, I'm glad we got to see Piper/Hart instead, as it really only happened the once. And I love that match. Too bad about Savage/Warrior 2, but I'm glad we got Savage/Flair instead of Hogan/Flair. Hogan/Sid was probably Hogan's worst Mania match (unless you count Hogan/Yokozuna as a match) but the Warrior run in and fire works pose down made up for it.
They had a few crap matches that made no sense though. Owen/Skinner, Tito/HBK, Tatanka/Martel, that 8 man tag match, and a tag title match between two teams not many people cared about by that point, Money INC and the Natural Disasters. .... at that point in history every wrestling fan just wanted Hogan/Flair.
Old 01-19-17, 07:37 PM   #122
DVD Talk Special Edition

Wrestlemania 8 had a several things going against them, besides the issue that Hogan and Flair weren't clicking in the ring.

-Bret Hart was given his push again after he was able to renegotiate his contract with Vince. That's the main reason Bret lost the title to the Mountie and why he was absent from the Royal Rumble. That's why the IC title fight was between him and Piper instead of Shawn Michaels.
-Shawn was actually supposed to be feuding with Marty Jannetty instead of having the Tito fight. Problem was that Marty got himself fired from the company.
-Speaking about suspensions, Hawk was suspended by Vince for failing a drug test. That's why the Natural disasters had the match instead of LOD.
-The company was in a transition period. Hogan was taking a hiatus due to the looming steroid scandal that was brewing behind the scenes. It didn't make sense to Hogan and Flair fight for the title when Hogan was going to be out for a while.
-Jake Roberts was on his way out of the company too. He was supposed to end his feud with Macho Man at Wrestlemania but that changed too when Jake wanted to get released because Vince didn't give him a position in the company as a writer.

-
Old 01-20-17, 11:26 AM   #123
DVD Talk Legend

The talk with Honky Tonk Man was fantastic. Lots of good stories and he's a really nice dude. I'll share the link when the story goes live but some highlights:

-His favorite person to hit with a guitar was Jake Roberts
-If WWE asked again, he'd accept HoF if timing was right
-Says Savage was one of the best people he worked with even they were not friends outside of the ring
-He'd really like to talk to Eric Bischoff about that famed firing quote because he wasn't even there long enough to learn the song they wanted him to sing
-Favorite quote: On not wantin gto job to Johnny B Badd: "The Honky Tonk Man would lose to Hulk Hogan, the Honky Tonk Man would lose to Shawn Micheals, Honky Tonk Man would lose to John Cena but damned if Honky Tonk Man is going to lose to Johnny B Badd."
Old 01-20-17, 11:53 AM   #124
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Wasn't Jake Roberts still a heel until that incident with the HTM on the Snake Pit and that's when they did the double switch?

For those interested-All kinds of Jimmy Snuka stuff added to the Collections section of the WWE Network.
Old 01-21-17, 12:34 AM   #125
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuessWho View Post
Scott Steiner is in the mathematicians' hall of fame

That is some Monty Hall level math ...

Kurtie Dee gets Otter:Think about that: Since you're asking us, you know what you want to do is wrong.