Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Old 05-19-17, 08:43 AM   #1051
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Re: The 2017 Pro Wrestling Thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaxBandit View Post
WWE Network will stream the WWE United Kingdom Championship Special tomorrow, May 19, at 3:00 pm ET with a re-airing in prime-time at 8:00 pm ET.
The action will be called by WWE Hall of Fame announcer Jim Ross, who will be joined by color analyst Nigel McGuinness.

Emanating from Norwich, England - WWE United Kingdom Champion Tyler Bate defends his title against the high-flying Mark Andrews.
Pete Dunne and Trent Seven battle to become the #1 contender to face the U.K. Champion (Bate or Andrews) at NXT TakeOver: Chicago this Saturday.
The special will also have two other matches - Wolfgang faces Joseph Conners - Rich Swann/Dan Moloney take on TJP/The Brian Kendrick.
Sounds like a worthwhile special. I can honestly say I have interest in every single match. Face vs Face dynamic, Heel vs Heel dynamic, Joseph Conners is slowly growing on me if they continue to use him, and the tag match could be fun due to the TJP/Brian Kendrick relationship. The wifey might not be happy about watching A TON of wrestling this weekend though...as I still have NXT, 205 live (which might get skipped this week), UK Special, NXT Takeover and then Backlash. I'm fairly confident it will spread into next week though (Monday, Tuesday at least). Thank goodness for WWE Network.
Yes, I have my own webpage - @ Kedrix.net
Personal VUDU M2D Page -->http://www.kedrix.net/vudu-mobile-d2d/
Old 05-20-17, 12:37 AM   #1052
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianxcore View Post
There were only around 2,000-2,100 seats for the venue. Realistically, everyone who bought tickets to one night, probably bought tickets for the other. Also if you factor in that people are probably (mostly) going in groups, it explains why tickets sold out in around 15-20 minutes.

Selling that many NJPW tickets in Southern California of all places was going to be a breeze for the promotion. A pain for fans who wanted to go (like yourself). Like getting tickets to a PWG show, all random luck.

I bought a plane ticket a few months ago to vacation in Tokyo, Japan this January for Wrestle Kingdom 12. Will be there for 2 weeks.
This is why I don't do PWG anymore. You would think they would move and make more money so more fans can see the show. I just wish I knew when tickets went on sale. I'll just suck it up and eat a huge chunk of change on stubhub especially since every title will be on the line that weekend.

And that sounds like the most amazing experience ever. Will you be going with anyone?
Old 05-20-17, 07:23 AM   #1053
DVD Talk Limited Edition

According to the Kayfabe Memories Forum(RIP Forum)-Pretty Boy Doug Somers has passed away.

He and Playboy Buddy Rose had one of the better heel tag teams in the latter day AWA.
Old 05-20-17, 12:52 PM   #1054
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacob_b View Post
This is why I don't do PWG anymore. You would think they would move and make more money so more fans can see the show. I just wish I knew when tickets went on sale. I'll just suck it up and eat a huge chunk of change on stubhub especially since every title will be on the line that weekend.

And that sounds like the most amazing experience ever. Will you be going with anyone?
With PWG, I'm not too sure of the mindset there. Whatever it is, it's working in terms of continuously keeping fervor for their Promotion. I have a friend that continuously able to get tickets. He's like a magician

If you want to know when tickets will go on-sale just follow their Twitter Account or bookmark the page (if you don't want to sign-up for Twitter). They announce on-sale dates/times about a week or so in advance of the actual on-sale.

Yup! I'll be going with a good friend of mine, who doesn't like wrestling but really wants to see Kenny Omega. So here's hoping he stays around in the story-lines until then!

DVDTalk "October Horror Movie Challenge"
2014 2013 2012 2011 2010 2009
Old 05-20-17, 11:04 PM   #1055
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
With PWG, I'm not too sure of the mindset there. Whatever it is, it's working in terms of continuously keeping fervor for their Promotion. I have a friend that continuously able to get tickets. He's like a magician

If you want to know when tickets will go on-sale just follow their Twitter Account or bookmark the page (if you don't want to sign-up for Twitter). They announce on-sale dates/times about a week or so in advance of the actual on-sale.

Yup! I'll be going with a good friend of mine, who doesn't like wrestling but really wants to see Kenny Omega. So here's hoping he stays around in the story-lines until then!
Nice! What about the Long Beach show? Any chance of you going?
Old 05-20-17, 11:24 PM   #1056
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Nice! What about the Long Beach show? Any chance of you going?

I won't be there. For the cost of gas and Stubhub tickets for both nights, I could buy Floor Tickets for Wrestle Kingdom 12 on my upcoming January vacation.

That or pretty good seats to Wrestle Kingdom 12 and a ticket to NJPW: New Year's Dash the following night.

Old 05-21-17, 01:05 AM   #1057
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
I won't be there. For the cost of gas and Stubhub tickets for both nights, I could buy Floor Tickets for Wrestle Kingdom 12 on my upcoming January vacation.

That or pretty good seats to Wrestle Kingdom 12 and a ticket to NJPW: New Year's Dash the following night.
So, not following NJPW, they basically have their Superbowl one night and the next night another big show?
Old 05-21-17, 02:37 AM   #1058

Takeover tonight was top freaking notch as usual. The main roster writers could really use some pointers from the NXT crew.
Old 05-21-17, 09:46 AM   #1059
DVD Talk Legend

They lingered on the DIY goodbyes for too long trying to lead us to believe they were getting called up. Unfortunately we know there isn't room for them on the main roster so a turn had to come to give them something to do.

I really don't want to see Heavy Machinery vs AOP. HHH seems to have a good idea of what we want to see but I don't think anybody wants to see that.

Roderick Strong/Eric Young was simply an amazing match. Roderick doesn't have a strong personality but damn he could be a top of the card guy in NXT. Eric Young is used perfectly in his role in Sanity.

Unlike most here I don't think Asuka should ever lose. She's going to be in NXT for a long time IMO and she's just better than the women they have.
Old 05-21-17, 10:45 AM   #1060
DVD Talk Gold Edition

That was an amazing heel turn. As sad as I am that DIY is splitting up, I can't wait to see them in a feud with each other. Their match at CWC last year was a classic.
Old 05-21-17, 12:42 PM   #1061
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
So, not following NJPW, they basically have their Superbowl one night and the next night another big show?
Think of it like the first RAW after Wrestlemania.

New Years Dash starts off the beginning of some of the new story-lines for the year. I heard tickets are hard to get for it as it is held in Korakuen Hall. Fans line-up (or even camp out) for hours to get tickets.

Old 05-21-17, 07:27 PM   #1062
DVD Talk Special Edition

So what's all the deal with Nakamura? I seriously didn't see it in that match with Ziggler. Nakamura barely had any offense and the times he was on offense, he looked clumsy. I really don't see what the fuzz is about him.
Old 05-21-17, 07:50 PM   #1063
DVD Talk Legend

Backlash isn't much to write home about. NXT was great last night. Cool to see a WWE event that actually focuses mostly on wrestling every once in a while.
Old 05-21-17, 09:48 PM   #1064
DVD Talk Special Edition

WWE just reminded everyone tonight that the WWE title is just a prop. Jinder Mahal is the new WWE Champ.
Old 05-21-17, 10:00 PM   #1065
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Hood View Post
WWE just reminded everyone tonight that the WWE title is just a prop. Jinder Mahal is the new WWE Champ.
Meh. There was a time that Sgt Slaughter came out of nowhere to win the title just to tell a xenophobic story line. I don't have a problem with it.
Old 05-21-17, 10:37 PM   #1066
DVD Talk Special Edition

Jinder was getting heat from the marks and xenophobes online and Chicago smarks were cheering for him to beat Orton. I actually like their decision to make him champ.
Old 05-21-17, 11:03 PM   #1067
DVD Talk Gold Edition

WWE puts the title on Orton and the IWC cries that it is the same old thing and want something different. WWE throws a huge curveball to give someone completely different the title (yes, same US vs other country storyline, but there's only X amount of storylines one can do) and they continue to cry. This is why Vince never listens to fans because they don't know what they want.
Old 05-22-17, 12:40 AM   #1068
DVD Talk Legend

It makes sense that WWE put the belt on Mahal.

Orton wasn't really doing anything with it and the WWE is very vocal about wanting to break into the market in India.

Old 05-22-17, 07:10 AM   #1069
DVD Talk Special Edition

When fans ask for something different is definitely not this. There are so many other capable and interesting wrestlers on Smackdown like Kevin Owens or Sami Zayn who can make things interesting. Last night title change would be akin to people getting tired of the same vanilla ice cream the company has been giving so Vince serves us urine instead because we ask for change.

Mahal had been a jobber through his entire career up to a month ago. And by the way, Vince put the title on him for the same reason he put the title on Khali: Because he wants to target the Indian market.
Old 05-22-17, 07:50 AM   #1070
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't think fans as a whole have a problem with Mihal as champ because it is actually something different and somebody like Orton is boring as shit. I am always open to let things play out when it isn't the same old crap.
Old 05-22-17, 07:56 AM   #1071

Ryback says he doesn't understand why WWE is trying to expand into India, the people don't have any money. Just when you think you have heard it all....

https://www.wrestlingnewssource.com/...WWE-Is-Trying/
Old 05-22-17, 08:04 AM   #1072
DVD Talk Legend

I think Mahal is a great choice for a title run. Yes the elevation came only a month ago but I'm completely buying that he can be a top heel. He's built as hell, is from another county (talks another language), has heaters on the outside in the Singh Brothers. Plus as was said above Orton is just a boring champion. His Wyatt feud was good but his title run doesn't bring anything to the table.
Old 05-22-17, 08:21 AM   #1073
DVD Talk Legend

I thought last nights card would be sneaky good. One of those PPV's that flies under the radar but comes up big. But it didn't really hit. Nakamura/Ziggler should have been longer and better. Styles/Owens was a lot of fun but it wasn't really the blowout match you'd expect from the two -- though it seems that the feud will continue so there's that. Breezango/Usos was fun but they should have put the belt on Breezango who are hot right now.

But big to putting the belt on Mahal. It's nice to see the WWE throw a curve once in awhile and Mahal has plenty of heat on him. I agree his build up was far too quick but Mahal has seemingly been around forever, it's good to see him get his due.

But it doesn't matter how you slice up this PPV -- we all know that NXT stole the show this weekend. I was hoping the #DIY break up would wait for the main roster but considering how terrible the tag teams are booked on the main shows, it's probably best for them to break up now and come up as single competitors.
Old 05-22-17, 08:48 AM   #1074
DVD Talk Legend

Rusev stated a few weeks ago that he will not return to the SD brand unless he is given a title shot. Since he was feuding with Mahal before having to go for repairs , this sets him up for a face turn. Curious if the repackaged Lana will return with him or be a singles competitor.
Old 05-22-17, 08:53 AM   #1075
DVD Talk Legend

My opinion of Jinder changed with Jericho's interview with him on the podcast last week. Jinder sounds like a legit good guy who had some demons and got lazy, realized it, and turned himself around with old fashioned hard work. Good for him.

https://www.podcastone.com/episode/JinderMahal