Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Old 05-08-17, 06:44 PM   #1026
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: The 2017 Pro Wrestling Thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacob_b View Post
I was waiting for this as I live near Long Beach and the damn thing is already sold out???? WTF!!!! Ugh I really wanted to see Omega in action too. I've been been able to see him once as he left PWG the following month I started getting into it.
I heard they are going to see if they could add more seats (not sure of the number) so there may be tickets available for you to purchase.

Also according to Jim Ross, theres this news - AXS TV has finalized their broadcast plans with NJPW for the July 1-2 weekend in Long Beach, California and the official announcement will be made on May 18. You're going to like what you hear. (Rumor - At least one of the two shows will be televised LIVE on AXS TV.)

Last edited by LaxBandit; 05-08-17 at 11:25 PM.
Old 05-08-17, 06:51 PM   #1027
DVD Talk Legend

Live on AXS would be amazing. I'd settle for airing the week of like they did with Wrestle Kingdom.
Old 05-09-17, 01:13 AM   #1028
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaxBandit View Post
I heard they are going to see if they could add more seats (not sure of the number) so there may be tickets available for you to purchase.

Also according to Jim Ross, theres this news - AXS TV has finalized their broadcast plans with NJPW for the July 1-2 weekend in Long Beach, California and the official announcement will be made on May 18. You're going to like what you hear. (Rumor - At least one of the two shows will be televised LIVE on AXS TV.)
I'd rather be there live TBH. I mean, right in my backyard and all. I did hear that if they do add more, it's like standing or GA.

Just saw on Stubhub tickets, just might go that route.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny Corinthos View Post
Video is down. What was that?
Old 05-09-17, 08:52 AM   #1029
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Quote:
I'd rather be there live TBH. I mean, right in my backyard and all. I did hear that if they do add more, it's like standing or GA.

Just saw on Stubhub tickets, just might go that route.

Video is down. What was that?
It was an interview with CM Punk. The video is no longer available due to a copyright claim by Colt Cabana.
Old 05-09-17, 10:50 PM   #1030
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny Corinthos View Post
It was an interview with CM Punk. The video is no longer available due to a copyright claim by Colt Cabana.
What did Punk say or is that the interview he did with Colt a while back?
Old 05-09-17, 10:52 PM   #1031
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
What did Punk say or is that the interview he did with Colt a while back?
It's really old (Punk is talking about AJ Lee still being with the WWE).
Old 05-12-17, 09:05 AM   #1032

If anybody is looking for a good match to watch this week, I highly recommend the Roderick Strong vs Hideo Itami match on NXT. Nigel in commentary even name dropped Hideo's old alias, Kenta in the middle of the match. Really good stuff, and they really put over how tough Strong was.

On a female NXT note, I'm actually more interested in the three way with Asuka, Cross and Riot than with Ember Moon in the mix as a four way.

Also, who was that guy who faced Black this week? Yeah, he went down like a load of bricks, but he was pretty freaking big and had a good look.
Yes, I have my own webpage - @ Kedrix.net
Personal VUDU M2D Page -->http://www.kedrix.net/vudu-mobile-d2d/
Old 05-12-17, 11:54 AM   #1033
DVD Talk Legend

Old 05-12-17, 07:15 PM   #1034
DVD Talk Hero

^ oldie, but a goody.
Old 05-12-17, 07:50 PM   #1035
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilshalo View Post
^ oldie, but a goody.
Who is Champ?

This call still makes me laugh whenever I hear it.

Goat3001: "I like when Ronnie says he has the best girl in Seaside. It's like saying you're dating the smartest girl in Special Ed."
Old 05-12-17, 10:53 PM   #1036
DVD Talk Gold Edition

New Japan Pro Wrestling will be crowning the first IWGP United States Champion when the company comes to Long Beach, California in July.
The announcement was made in the ring prior to tonight's co-branded ROH/NJPW War of the Worlds pay-per-view at the Hammerstein Ballroom in New York City.
There will be a round robin tournament held over the two nights in Long Beach to determine the first champion.
Jay Lethal was confirmed as the first entrant in the tournament. Hangman Page confronted Lethal and will likely be in as well.

The shows in California will take place on July 1st and 2nd.
Aside from initial announcements about which NJPW wrestlers will be appearing, this is the biggest news that has been revealed about them so far.
The cards should take shape after NJPW's Dominion PPV on June 11th. Both will air LIVE on NJPW World.
Jim Ross also posted that AXS TV is set to announce their broadcast plans for the events on May 18th. Ross wrote that fans will like what they hear.

Approximately 2,150 to 2,200 tickets per show were initially put on sale, with them selling out within hours.
Limited additional seats were also added earlier this week and sold out almost instantly.

LB - Click on the following link for a picture of the IWGP United States Title - http://www.f4wonline.com/japan/njpw-...g-beach-235471

Last edited by LaxBandit; 05-12-17 at 11:00 PM.
Old 05-13-17, 12:31 AM   #1037
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kedrix View Post
Also, who was that guy who faced Black this week? Yeah, he went down like a load of bricks, but he was pretty freaking big and had a good look.
Cezar Bononi was signed from the Brazilian indies a couple of years ago. I don't know much about him, but he looks like he has potential:

Normally debuting on tv as a jobber would be a bad sign, but NXT has done that before to guys who eventually got a push.
Old 05-13-17, 07:47 PM   #1038
DVD Talk Legend

Anywhere one can stream NJPW and get the English commentary?
Old 05-14-17, 10:47 AM   #1039
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
FFFUUUUCKKKKK!!!!!!! I was waiting for this as I live near Long Beach and the damn thing is already sold out???? WTF!!!! Ugh I really wanted to see Omega in action too. I've been been able to see him once as he left PWG the following month I started getting into it.
There were only around 2,000-2,100 seats for the venue. Realistically, everyone who bought tickets to one night, probably bought tickets for the other. Also if you factor in that people are probably (mostly) going in groups, it explains why tickets sold out in around 15-20 minutes.

Selling that many NJPW tickets in Southern California of all places was going to be a breeze for the promotion. A pain for fans who wanted to go (like yourself). Like getting tickets to a PWG show, all random luck.

I bought a plane ticket a few months ago to vacation in Tokyo, Japan this January for Wrestle Kingdom 12. Will be there for 2 weeks.

DVDTalk "October Horror Movie Challenge"
2014 2013 2012 2011 2010 2009
Old 05-15-17, 07:40 AM   #1040

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainee View Post
Cezar Bononi was signed from the Brazilian indies a couple of years ago. I don't know much about him, but he looks like he has potential:

Normally debuting on tv as a jobber would be a bad sign, but NXT has done that before to guys who eventually got a push.
Thanks....yeah, especially in NXT where people get repackaged all the time. It seems insignificant to some I'm sure, but the emotion of how he kept getting back up, more furious than the last showed a lot in a small timeframe. So here is hoping on that one.
Old 05-15-17, 09:18 PM   #1041
DVD Talk Legend

"The better man won tonight"

Wow...looks like they've given up on Balor with commentary he got plus getting fed to Reigns. It was a good run I guess.
Old 05-15-17, 10:43 PM   #1042
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber View Post
"The better man won tonight"

Wow...looks like they've given up on Balor with commentary he got plus getting fed to Reigns. It was a good run I guess.
that injury screwed up his push, sad
Old 05-16-17, 04:14 AM   #1043
DVD Talk Legend

Adam Cole got fired from Bullet Club by Kenny Omega at ROH: War of the Worlds. Replaced by 'The Villain' Marty Scurll

Glad ROH kept with the storyline of Cole not being on the best of terms with The Young Bucks & Bullet Club. I attended a ROH TV Taping in Las Vegas, NV a few months ago where Cole tried to fire The Young Bucks.

Cole's contract expired not too long ago, so this is a pretty awesome way to see him out (assuming he doesn't plan on re-signing with ROH).

http://www.wrestlezone.com/news/8391...white-djz-more

DVDTalk "October Horror Movie Challenge"
2014 2013 2012 2011 2010 2009
Old 05-16-17, 01:33 PM   #1044
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainee View Post
I can see where he needs the polish. Unfortunately, all of his opponents in the video are much smaller than he. He'll need to bulk up slightly to shed that Bradshaw look.

Last edited by devilshalo; 05-16-17 at 01:55 PM.
Old 05-18-17, 09:59 AM   #1045

So...I stayed home Tuesday this week to take care of my son who was having some kind of viral thing going on. He loves wrestling, so since Smackdown wasn't up yet for stream and we don't watch Raw..I thought I would go watch some old NXT...2012 style. In an afternoon, we ran through the first four episodes from when they went from FCW to NXT. I had only watched NXT since the Finn Balor/Kevin Owens era really so I missed out on a few years.

It had some good moments, seeing Seth Rollins or Bray Wyatt for the first time (Bray was a beast in his first match) or Johnny Curtis (Fandango) in action. But it was also kind of depressing...I mean from Tyson Kidd to McGillicutty (Curtis Axel) to Richie Steamboat. Just knowing what happened to them eventually from either injuries to just going nowhere fast. But then I guess watching old Wrestlemanias would be even worse, especially from the 80's. But I'll continue to progress through it.
Old 05-18-17, 02:59 PM   #1046

Looks like they are having a UK Title Special tomorrow on WWE Network...got an email with Tyler Bate pictured along with Mark Andrews, Pete Dunne and Trent Seven. Not sure if it is going to be a 4-way or what exactly (I'm at work so can't go watch the video). It looks to be in the UK though...start time of 2pm Central for me personally, and then the replay at 7pm. Unfortunately at 2, I'll be somewhere else, but 7 I might be able to catch.

Could have sworn though that this was supposed to be part of NXT Takeover, but maybe something happened....dunno.
Old 05-18-17, 04:00 PM   #1047
DVD Talk Limited Edition

WWE Network has added a bunch of Tuesday Night Titans(from 1985 and 1986) to their Vault.
Old 05-18-17, 06:46 PM   #1048
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kedrix View Post
Looks like they are having a UK Title Special tomorrow on WWE Network.
Got an email with Tyler Bate pictured along with Mark Andrews, Pete Dunne and Trent Seven.
Not sure if it is going to be a 4-way or what exactly - I'm at work so can't go watch the video.
It looks to be in the UK though. Start time of 2 pm Central for me personally and then the replay at 7 pm.
Could have sworn though that this was supposed to be part of NXT Takeover.
WWE Network will stream the WWE United Kingdom Championship Special tomorrow, May 19, at 3:00 pm ET with a re-airing in prime-time at 8:00 pm ET.
The action will be called by WWE Hall of Fame announcer Jim Ross, who will be joined by color analyst Nigel McGuinness.

Emanating from Norwich, England - WWE United Kingdom Champion Tyler Bate defends his title against the high-flying Mark Andrews.
Pete Dunne and Trent Seven battle to become the #1 contender to face the U.K. Champion (Bate or Andrews) at NXT TakeOver: Chicago this Saturday.
The special will also have two other matches - Wolfgang faces Joseph Conners - Rich Swann/Dan Moloney take on TJP/The Brian Kendrick.

http://www.wwe.com/shows/wwe-united-...al-wwe-network

LB: The special was taped on Saturday, May 6 as part of two days worth of tapings.
The rest of the specials - there will be three more - will be stream on the WWE Network in June.
Ross and McGuinness did the voice-overs for the Fridays special this afternoon.

Last edited by LaxBandit; 05-19-17 at 02:38 PM.
Old 05-18-17, 07:13 PM   #1049
DVD Talk Gold Edition

AXS TV TO LIVE BROADCAST NEW JAPAN PRO WRESTLING'S FIRST-EVER UNITED STATES EVENT -
"THE G1 SPECIAL IN THE USA" - SATURDAY, JULY 1 AT 8:00 PM ET.

Los Angeles - May 18, 2017 – AXS TV, TV ASAHI and NEW JAPAN PRO WRESTLING today announced AXS TV will be the exclusive United States television broadcast home of NEW JAPAN PRO WRESTING's first-ever United States event "The G1 SPECIAL IN THE USA" LIVE on Saturday, July 1 at 8:00 pm ET/5:00 pm PT from the Long Beach Convention Center in Long Beach, California.

Following Saturday night's LIVE event broadcast of the G1 SPECIAL, AXS TV will premiere the second night of the event in a four-hour showcase on Friday, July 7 at 8:00 pm ET/5:00 pm PT. The special presentation will feature every match from night two in Long Beach with limited commercial interruption. New Japan World will televise the first night LIVE for everyone. New Japan World will be televising the second night LIVE for everyone outside of the United States.

The IWGP Heavyweight, IWGP Intercontinental, IWGP Heavyweight Tag Team, and IWGP Junior Heavyweight Tag Team titles will all be defended over the two days.
A tournament will also be held to create the IWGP United States Championship, which will be the key territorial belt when New Japan opens up a full-time United States outpost in 2018.

Wrestlers who will be appearing in Long Beach were also announced - with them being organized by the factions and promotions that they represent.

NJPW - Hiroshi Tanahashi - Michael Elgin - KUSHIDA - Jushin Thunder Liger - Juice Robinson - David Finlay -
Sho Tanaka & Yohei Komatsu - Jay White - Billy Gunn - Yoshitatsu.
Chaos - Kazuchika Okada - Tomohiro Ishii - Will Ospreay - Rocky Romero & Trent Barreta.
Los Ingobernables de Japon - Tetsuya Naito - Hiromu Takahashi - SANADA - EVIL - BUSHI.
Suzuki-gun - Zack Sabre Jr. - RING OF HONOR - Jay Lethal - The Briscoes - War Machine. CMLL - Dragon Lee - Volador Jr. - Titan.
Bullet Club - Kenny Omega - The Young Bucks - Cody Rhodes - Marty Scurll - Bad Luck Fale - Hangman Page - Guerrillas of Destiny - Yujiro Takahashi.

The G1 SPECIAL marks AXS TV's first LIVE broadcast of NEW JAPAN PRO WRESTLING, the world's fastest growing and second largest wrestling promotion, which the network has showcased on Friday nights in its award-winning, hour-long weekly series since 2015. AXS TV's NJPW broadcast team - Wrestling Hall of Famer - Jim Ross and former UFC Heavyweight Champion and NJPW veteran Josh Barnett - wiill be ringside for both nights of the event to call the action for the network.

Last edited by LaxBandit; 05-18-17 at 10:55 PM.
Old 05-18-17, 10:52 PM   #1050
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Leading up to the LIVE G1 SPECIAL broadcast, AXS TV will give viewers the opportunity to catch up on the latest NJPW events during the networks' Friday night series with the "Summer of Strong Style" event showcasing all of the promotion's 2017 events.

Upcoming episodes include top matches from New Beginning in Sapporo and Osaka - New Japan Cup - Sakura Genesis - Wrestling Toyo and Dontaku and the night before G1 SPECIAL - Friday, June 30 - back-to-back episodes featuring June's Dominion 6.11 event. Following the G1 SPECIALSs, AXS TV will continue to showcase NJPW events closer to their original airdate during its Friday night series, starting with the Best of the Super Juniors and the G1 Climax 27 tournament.

AXS TV's Upcoming NJPW Schedule - (Subject To Change) -

May 26 - 7:00 pm ET to 11:00 pm ET (?) - "Wrestle Kingdom 11".

June 2 - 7:00 pm ET to 8:00 pm ET - "New Beginning in Sapporo".
June 9 - 7:00 pm ET to 10:00 pm ET - "New Beginning in Osaka".
June 16 - 7:00 pm ET to 10:00 pm ET - "New Japan Cup" & "Sakura Genesis".
June 23 - 7:00 pm ET to 9:00 pm ET - "Wrestling Toyo" & "Wrestling Dontaku".
June 30 - 7:00 pm ET - 9:00 pm ET - "Dominion 2017".

July 1 - 8:00 pm ET to 12:00 am ET (?) - "G1 Special In The USA Night 1". (LIVE)
July 7 - 8:00 pm ET to 12:00 am ET - "G1 Special In The USA Night 2".

Last edited by LaxBandit; 05-18-17 at 11:00 PM.