Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Old 04-06-17, 03:32 PM   #801
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Re: The 2017 Pro Wrestling Thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuessWho View Post
Let the post-WM housecleaning begin...

https://twitter.com/WWE/status/849680750706388996
Welp, if they keep Aiden English, I could easily see them inserting Jack Gallagher...because the Vaudevillians is a good gimmick tag team. I never liked Gotch anyway.
Yes, I have my own webpage - @ Kedrix.net
Personal VUDU M2D Page -->http://www.kedrix.net/vudu-mobile-d2d/
Old 04-06-17, 03:35 PM   #802
DVD Talk Legend

Gotch is the gimmick, English was along for the ride.
Old 04-06-17, 03:50 PM   #803
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Hood View Post
Stone Cold talked about this on his podcast from Monday. He mentioned how people know HHH's character, Stone Cold's characters, The Rock's character but no one knows what Seth Rollin's character is. Same can be said with Reigns, Finn Barlor and many others in the roster who are just bland, yet Vince keeps pushing them to the top
I blame the inconsistent and generic promos they give to most of these guys. Like with Reigns... one week he's portrayed as this total badass, then the next week he's cracking cheesy jokes. They do it with all their babyfaces now... one week they're the humble hero who does it for the fans, the next week they're a smartass trash talker, and the next week they're the tough guy who doesn't take shit from anyone.

With Austin or The Rock, no matter whether they were face or heel you always felt like it was the same guy. Today they can't even keep that up week to week.
Old 04-06-17, 11:26 PM   #804
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
I believe jacob_b is talking about top stars who came from WCW or TNA. From WCW, this would be Goldberg, Sting, the NWO concept, Booker T, DDP, Ric Flair, Dusty Rhodes, Vader, Ron Simmons and The Steiners. Of all of them, the only 3 to actually be used somewhat correctly by Vince were Flair, Booker T (yet he was buried by HHH) and the 2016-17 version of Goldberg. Ron Simmons had a decent run but never to the way he was used in WCW as a member of Doom and his run with the World Title. Everyone else was buried or used as a midcarder.

As for TNA, they only have had several big stars that were not part of WCW/WWF. Those are Styles, Samoa Joe, Bobby Roode, and Austin Aries. So far, they've been use about right as far as AJ and Joe (even though AJ could still be used better). We haven't seen the potential of Roode and Aries on the main roster yet, so this is something we'll have to wait a while and see how they develop.
Exactly! The people that were named (Jericho, Benoit, Eddie, Rey, etc.) were all SMALL time players in ECW and WCW for the most part. They never had huge programs that nWo, Sting, Luger, DDP, etc. had. In a way, Vince saw this as a way to make them bigger than what they were in WCW and even then, it's not like they got the push that AJ Styles has gotten as quickly.

Once WCW and ECW were destroyed, he buried every legacy. Hell, he buried the WCW legacy still by having HHH go over Sting at Mania. I don't have high hopes for Aries as he's stuck in the CW division and they already have someone small (Finn) and let's be honest, they won't have too many small guys at the top. Joe and Owens need to be on different brands because they are too similar in body type.

I'm sorry, but Flair had one year in WWF and that wasn't even that memorable during his prime. He's a NWA/WCW guy. But let's not forget how Vince had Dusty look like in the ring. And I believe, outside of Benoit, if you had a decent run in WCW/ECW, at the end of the day, you were fed to HHH and buried. Sting, Goldberg, Steiner, Booker, Jericho, RVD, the list is a LONG one.
Old 04-07-17, 10:44 AM   #805
DVD Talk Legend

Well, to be fair, everyone was fed to HHH and buried.
Old 04-07-17, 10:49 AM   #806
DVD Talk Legend

I think the WWF was very Fair to Flair.
Old 04-07-17, 02:30 PM   #807
DVD Talk Special Edition

Vince pushed the hell out of underutilized WCW talent like HHH, Steve Austin, Mick Foley, Edge, Jericho, Benoit, Eddie, Kevin Nash, Scot Hall and Mark Callaway. The only WCW established talent that got a somewhat good push in WWF/E were:

The Brainbusters (Arn and Tully)
Flair
Jim Cornette
Sid Vicious
Mike Rotunda/IRS
The Steiners during their first run
Ron Simmons (yet he debuted wearing a gladiator helmet)
Booker T
Lex Luger (yet he didn't win the title)
Goldberg
Brian Pillman
Road Warriors/LOD

None of them except Flair and 2016 version of Goldberg, were treated with the superstar respect that they had in WCW. It's been pretty clear that Vince treated Flair well because they had mutual respect. As for Goldberg, he has a great lawyer and Vince needed him more than Goldberg needed WWE. Vince truly missed opportunities of making money with every other top WCW star. Look at how poorly booked Vader was. It seems that it also had to do with Shawn Michaels not liking the stiffness of Vader, but Vince truly missed making Vader an unbeatable monster. Dusty Rhodes could have been as good of a champion as Flair in WWF. I always thought Macho Man could have defeated Warrior for the belt instead of Slaughter. That title could have added big time to the feud between Savage and Dusty. The Steiners should have had a huge run with the tag belts, but they never did.
Old 04-08-17, 03:08 PM   #808
DVD Talk Limited Edition

So anyone been reading all the news on Mauro Ranallo exiting WWE? Rumors are saying much of it is due to the bullying of JBL, once again.
Old 04-08-17, 06:31 PM   #809
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by VHS? View Post
So anyone been reading all the news on Mauro Ranallo exiting WWE? Rumors are saying much of it is due to the bullying of JBL, once again.
Yeah. Something to do with him being Bipolar and dealing with bouts of depression along with the JBL stuff. Really hate it if he is truly gone as I really enjoyed hearing him call NJPW and WWE.
Old 04-08-17, 08:31 PM   #810
DVD Talk Limited Edition

That's too bad. I enjoyed him in PRIDE and when I saw he went to WWE I was pretty excited.
How long is JBL going to be allowed to bully people. This is like the 3rd or 4th time reports of him doing this.
Old 04-08-17, 09:28 PM   #811
DVD Talk Gold Edition

So much for Being a Star. Guess WWE dropped that charity since they don't go around really practicing it when you hear these reports and how some wrestlers troll the fans online. Mauro is still under contract with WWE as they released a statement, but it does suck for him.

And anyone reading about Del Rio just blasting every WWE person and HHH. Talk about them sour grapes.
Old 04-09-17, 03:08 PM   #812
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by VHS? View Post
It's all Meltzer as far as sources, right (not that it matters much because I trust his reporting). I mean the mainstream sites have reported on the departure but not the reason. It does line up with Justin Roberts' new book as well as countless other anecdotes from wrestlers throughout the years. It doesn't help that I really like Mauro's style and Smackdown's commentary has been horrible the last month or so without him.
Old 04-09-17, 09:35 PM   #813
DVD Talk Special Edition

It was JBL and Tazz who were publicly dipshits on Twitter towards Mauro. From reports, Vince knew that Mauro has depression bouts from the get go when Ranallo was signed. And yes, it seems that JBL's backstage treatment triggered his latest episodes. WWE is the only place where carny shit like bullying still permitted and encouraged.

It's also interesting that AJ Lee mentioned in one panel this weekend while promoting her book that WWE punished her for not going with a storyline in which it would have made fun of her bipolar disorder.

Last edited by Red Hood; 04-09-17 at 09:41 PM.
Old 04-09-17, 10:16 PM   #814
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
It was JBL and Tazz who were publicly dipshits on Twitter towards Mauro. From reports, Vince knew that Mauro has depression bouts from the get go when Ranallo was signed. And yes, it seems that JBL's backstage treatment triggered his latest episodes. WWE is the only place where carny shit like bullying still permitted and encouraged.

It's also interesting that AJ Lee mentioned in one panel this weekend while promoting her book that WWE punished her for not going with a storyline in which it would have made fun of her bipolar disorder.
I thought it was schizophrenia which her mom suffered, not bipolar disorder.
Old 04-10-17, 08:33 AM   #815
DVD Talk Legend

I watched Impact again because apparently I hate myself. The focus of every episode is on the announcer feud, I mean it permeates every match because Borash and Josh Mathews just scream and argue over each other at every opportunity. But oh no, let's bring it into the ring, so now we have a four on four with each announcer picking a team for absolutely no consequences. Borash, being the TNA vet, picks four guys who weren't in the company a month ago, because hey they're better than the current TNA talent I guess. Chris Masters for the win.
Old 04-10-17, 09:53 AM   #816
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacob_b View Post
I thought it was schizophrenia which her mom suffered, not bipolar disorder.
Yeah, but AJ suffers from bipolar disorder. She felt the angle was too personal.
Old 04-10-17, 09:57 AM   #817
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:

Remember "Piggie" James? I listened to a very recent shoot with her before she returned and Mickie claimed that she liked to think everyone was being professional about it and it was all above board, but I think we all know better with this company.
Old 04-10-17, 12:05 PM   #818
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by DthRdrX View Post
Remember "Piggie" James? I listened to a very recent shoot with her before she returned and Mickie claimed that she liked to think everyone was being professional about it and it was all above board, but I think we all know better with this company.
Kenny Dykstra seemed to imply that after Cena broke up with her she was basically inconsolable, then moved off of Raw and into that angle, then let go. He implies that politics were involved but then, he's pretty bitter because she cheated on him to be with Cena (who was cheating on his wife).

In AJ's book she recounts early on she was called into Laurinitis's office and told basically she wasn't attractive enough to the average guy viewer, though in meaner terms than I put it.

Last edited by fujishig; 04-10-17 at 02:01 PM.
Old 04-10-17, 01:24 PM   #819
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah didnt he tell her she was un-fuckable or something?

Bullshit
"We wouldn't have to "regress" so much if it wasn't for that weird period in comics history when EVERYTHING in comics had to be awful and bleak. Characters died, became killers, were crippled and had lots of pouches and belts on their costumes, and we, this generation of creators, represent the undoing of that." - Ethan Van Sciver.
Old 04-10-17, 07:27 PM   #820
DVD Talk Legend

What's the rationale for who moves from one brand to another? You'd think title holders would be protected...

Also Graves is great on commentary.
Old 04-10-17, 07:35 PM   #821
DVD Talk Legend

Sending Owens and the US Title to SD to replace Styles I'd guess.
Old 04-10-17, 09:22 PM   #822
DVD Talk Legend

It's only been a week and they're already putting the Hardy's in 8 man tag matches...

Holy shit Elias Samson. I love the fact that Graves can't stand that guy.

These switches don't make sense. Seems to be making Raw very top heavy. And why the hell is Bray Wyatt still going to wrestle on a SD PPV in 3 weeks if he's moving to Raw?
Old 04-10-17, 11:02 PM   #823
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Yeah, but AJ suffers from bipolar disorder. She felt the angle was too personal.
The angle itself was too personal because of her mother, not her own condition. I mean, her character actually was bipolar for a good part of things, especially during the Kane/CM Punk/Daniel Bryan (I think it was DB) bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
Kenny Dykstra seemed to imply that after Cena broke up with her she was basically inconsolable, then moved off of Raw and into that angle, then let go. He implies that politics were involved but then, he's pretty bitter because she cheated on him to be with Cena (who was cheating on his wife).

In AJ's book she recounts early on she was called into Laurinitis's office and told basically she wasn't attractive enough to the average guy viewer, though in meaner terms than I put it.
Got to wonder why AJ didn't file some lawsuit or something. She seems like a bright girl. As for Kenny, dude bashed on everyone. I'm shocked he decided to go back to the WWE, though I guess money was good enough for him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber View Post
Sending Owens and the US Title to SD to replace Styles I'd guess.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber View Post
It's only been a week and they're already putting the Hardy's in 8 man tag matches...

Holy shit Elias Samson. I love the fact that Graves can't stand that guy.

These switches don't make sense. Seems to be making Raw very top heavy. And why the hell is Bray Wyatt still going to wrestle on a SD PPV in 3 weeks if he's moving to Raw?
Styles is staying it looks like. Curious if Owens will go or if DB/Shane make Miz defend it at the PPV (since Bray gets his match after all). I mean, when draft stuff happened before, matches that were announced still took place. HEAVY chance that Bray loses his match unless they decide since Lesnar will be gone forever, move the title over to Raw.
Old 04-10-17, 11:35 PM   #824
DVD Talk Legend

Raw got...

Dean Ambrose (w/IC Title)
Bray Wyatt
Miz & Maryse
Apollo Crews
Curt Hawkins
Kalisto
Heath Slater & Rhyno
Alexa Bliss
Mickie James
Old 04-11-17, 06:12 AM   #825
DVD Talk Legend

So at least we'll get the Orton/Styles program. I don't know 3 guys of the same level as that top 3 would be moved from Raw. Owens/Zayn/?...It really should be Rollins but it won't be. Charlotte is clear goner, and Dana or Emma.