DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Old 01-08-17, 08:15 PM   #51
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: The 2017 Pro Wrestling Thread.

Besides Sting, Godlberg and Ric Flair, DDP was the other WCW franchise player. He truly carried the ball during Sting year hiatus and his feud with Macho Man is one of the best ever. It's disappointing that Vince screwed his WWF push. DDP should have been one of the big names along with the Steiners, Rey and Ric Flair who Vince should have gotten immediately to have some sort of semblance to what WCW really represented for the Invasion angle
Old 01-08-17, 10:18 PM   #52
DVD Talk Legend

DDP is definitely worthy of a Hall of Fame spot. Wrestling alone gets him in but also the fact that he's helped rehab fellow inductees makes him a good inductee.
Old 01-09-17, 10:29 AM   #53
DVD Talk Legend

Does anyone else here do DDP Yoga?
Old 01-09-17, 11:15 AM   #54
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuessWho View Post
My cousin was taking the classes he hosted near ATL before she recently moved.

Old 01-09-17, 11:21 AM   #55
Cool New Member

Is it any good? I tried to see if a video of a complete workout was out there on YT. Reviews of it are kind of everywhere. I see AJ Styles talk about it. Jake The Snake did it. Hall too. I have a hard time grasping if this is right for me. I'm on the pudge side and have some levels of flexibility but don't want to get something that might not be right for me. My problem is that I want to believe in this thing based on what I've seen those wrestlers say. I hate working out. And maybe like something as easing as this may be might be good for me.
Old 01-09-17, 11:30 AM   #56
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuessWho View Post
I did it for a few weeks. it was good and i've been meaning to start up again (its been a year or two)
Old 01-09-17, 12:01 PM   #57
DVD Talk Legend

I like it.

Ordered a couple years ago when Jericho talked about how he swears by it. Helped him with a slipped disc and he never looked back. He and Goldust both do it and in their mid-40s, keep up with the young guys in the ring.

My time on the workout plan been a few months on, few months off, over and over.

But I slipped a disc before the holidays. Now sporadically doing it as a want or something to do, it's become a need and I'm getting back into it now that my formal therapy has ended.
Old 01-09-17, 01:35 PM   #58
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by movieking View Post
I'm a big fan of Styles, easily one of my favorite wrestlers.
I will never understand why this guy is so popular. I can recognize that he has in ring skill, but the guy looks and sounds like a dope. He really should ditch the long hair, it doesn't work for him.
3DS Friend Code:1178-1287-2020

My Countdown Counting down to: The first Saturday in May.
37 days 8 hours 6 minutes
Old 01-09-17, 01:42 PM   #59
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Check out the trailer for The Jetsons & WWE: Robo-Wrestlemania! as WWE Superstars Roman Reigns, Seth Rollins, Alicia Fox and Sheamus team up with George, Elroy and the rest of the Jetsons gang in order to save Orbit City from the wrestle-bot army.
Old 01-09-17, 07:59 PM   #60
DVD Talk Legend

This HBK segment is brutal.

edit: but the Bulgarian George Clooney saved it.
Old 01-09-17, 10:59 PM   #61
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWO4Life View Post
Is it any good? I tried to see if a video of a complete workout was out there on YT. Reviews of it are kind of everywhere. I see AJ Styles talk about it. Jake The Snake did it. Hall too. I have a hard time grasping if this is right for me. I'm on the pudge side and have some levels of flexibility but don't want to get something that might not be right for me. My problem is that I want to believe in this thing based on what I've seen those wrestlers say. I hate working out. And maybe like something as easing as this may be might be good for me.
I think you took the words out of my mouth NWO.

Credible reviews of it seem to be pretty good. As with any workout, the questions are "are you going to actually work out?" and "are you going to stick with it?" I always laughed at the fat ladies in the 90s flailing around half-assed and not understanding why their Tae Bo tapes weren't working for them.

Currently 25% off on the DDP Yoga website. I'm considering dropping some money on this (wonder if the library has it to try first). I've never been into "high impact" exercise, even when I was younger and athletic. Coming off of my hip "injury" I am really looking for something that will be kind to my joints. I think the flexibility and core strengthening would be of tremendous benefit to me as a baseball/softball umpire ... I'm talking myself into this.

Kurtie Dee gets Otter:Think about that: Since you're asking us, you know what you want to do is wrong.
Old 01-10-17, 06:24 PM   #62
DVD Talk Hero

I have it, tried it a few times. I'm not terribly overweight but i wanted to do it to tone out and regain some flexibility after my ACL tear. I think the toughest part of the DDP Yoga is not the work out itself, but the dietary change.

It's a lot less impact than P90X programs which would kill my knee and lower back. And even then, that program was about diet. A co-worker was in the infomercial and he lost about 25 lbs and toned out, but when asked, he said it was all about diet.
Old 01-11-17, 06:45 PM   #63
DVD Talk Legend

Should be chatting with Honky Tonk on the phone tomorrow night. Here are the questions I've prepared:

1. A lot of your early career involved tag wrestling. Your time in the late 70’s with Koko B. Ware and, of course, The Blond Bombers come to mind. Did you want to move into singles wrestling and how did you find that transition?
2. Considering where hardcore wrestling would go in the 90s in ECW and the Attitude Era, one might look back at the famed Tupelo Concession Stand Brawl as an early hardcore match. What do you remember most about that particular bought?
3. I like to think you have to be the most recognized Elvis impersonator or at least the one who achieved the most publicity. Can you tell me the genesis of the character?
4. I read once where you said you fine-tuned it working here in Canada. What do you felt you learned working with Stu Hart?
5. As I understand it, you came up with the name yourself and it wasn’t a WWE creation. Where you a fan of Elvis before?
6. I think some people must think you just appeared on the scene when you hit the WWE but there was that whole career before where you were shaping the character. However, when you got there, I find it interesting that you originally debuted as a face when The Honky Tonk Man was such a perfect heal character and one of the most memorable in the 80s. Do you feel the character could have worked as a face character if given time?
7. That said, it really did feel you embraced the heelish nature. Did you enjoy that shift and what were some of the things you added to make the heel side of Honky Tonk Man?
8. Looking back on an Elvis style gimmick, one might think it would be a difficult one to get over but you made it one of the most memorable characters in the 80s. Why do you feel the fans took to the gimmick so well, loving to hate the Honky Tonk Man?
9. Who came up with the idea of smashing the guitars over other wrestlers?
10. How many guitars do you think you went through over your career?
11. What was your favourite guitar hit?
12. In 1987 you won the Intercontinental title from Rick Steamboat. What went into the decision to put the strap on you?
13. During that run you had some amazing feuds but the run with Savage that included that famous Saturday Night’s Main Event match which lead to his tagteam with Hogan really sticks out in my mind. There’s this misconception, I think, going around that you didn’t want to drop the title to Savage. What really happened there?
14. To this day, your reign of 454 days is the longest. With so many days to choose from, what are some of your personal favourite moments as IC Champ?
15. What was it like seeing your likeness started to become action figures, plush toys and, later, appear in video games?
16. I always though you kind of got the short end of the stick when it came to how you lost the title to Warrior, especially considering how long you held it. When did they tell you that streak would be ending and how did you feel about that match now?
17. After this you went back to a run as a tag wrestler for the Rhythm and Blues team with Greg Valentine. Did you find that move a step back from the singles work or did you just embrace it as another avenue of the character to explore?
18. Did you find working with Valentine complimented your character as it certainly was a change up from his original gimmick as “the Hammer”?
19. You had a very short run in WCW. Recently I talked to Ted DiBiase who didn’t have much complimentary to say about the organization. What were your interpretations moving from there from WWE?
20. Now, I’m sure you get asked about this a lot but Eric Bischoff has said you’re the favourite person he’s fired. What was your reaction when you first heard that?
21. It seems to me that really developing a good heel character has become a lost art form. It’s not just about being bad. There’s a psychology to it. You’ve said yourself how you feel nobody knows how to be a bad guy anymore. Can you elaborate on that and why you feel that is?
22. What is some of the advice you would give to some of the new guys just coming up?
23. You’ve said you don’t watch the current WWE product and tend to focus more on the independent scene. What are some of the things you are seeing there that the indies are doing different?
24. Certainly WWE tried to do a form of the indies with NXT. Do you think they are on the right path with this show and the wrestlers they are developing there?
25. Speaking of the indies, back in 2008 you almost lost a finger here in Canada. Has that healed up alright?
26. You’ve called Harley Race and Hulk Hogan the greatest WWE wrestlers of all time. If you extended that out to other promotions who would you consider the top?
27. In regards to the best, certainly the Honky Tonk Man is a memorable character that should very well be in the Hall of Fame alongside the others. You, however, declined being an entrant a year after you inducted Koko. Why did you turn it down and would it be something you’d consider should it come up again?
28. Finally, you’ve created a lot of memories for people in your career. How would YOU like best to have The Honky Tonk Man remembered?

Last edited by ViewAskewbian; 01-11-17 at 06:51 PM.
Old 01-11-17, 06:52 PM   #64
DVD Talk Legend

May be limited for time and not get all those in so if you all had some of those you'd put above others to be answered I'd certainly take some suggestions.

Cheers!
Old 01-11-17, 09:10 PM   #65
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Ask him how he ended up cameoing in the season premiere of Lucha Underground this season as a cop. It was kinda cool and a mark out moment for me.
Old 01-12-17, 01:38 PM   #66
Cool New Member

I bought the DDP Yoga set. Screw it. I'll do it. I can waste the money.
Old 01-12-17, 03:24 PM   #67
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Old 01-13-17, 10:10 AM   #68
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
I've done it before but kind of got out of it because of a lack of time. It definitely can give you a good workout, but it's all up to you since it's really yoga mixed with dynamic resistance.
Old 01-13-17, 07:06 PM   #69
DVD Talk Legend

I missed when these were announced last year but apparently they hit Walmart this week.

WWE/Mattel "Retro Hasbro Figures"

Old 01-13-17, 07:58 PM   #70
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yeah, I saw these at Walmart today. I didn't buy any, but they made me smile big time. Even the cards mimic the design of the old Hasbro figures.

-----
PSN: CactusKind
Old 01-14-17, 12:52 AM   #71
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Kevin Owens hasbro figure got major lipo. Thats pretty cool though. I wish they would do the same with the LJN figures. They did something similar a few years back, but not as quality as this.
Old 01-14-17, 04:00 PM   #72
DVD Talk Legend

HTM rescheduled for what looks like Monday night. Will probably have reduced time with him so I think the interview is going to focus on the art of being a heal character, something I think is really lost these days.
Old 01-15-17, 02:32 AM   #73
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

So tonight I saw Kyle O Reilly's last match before going to WWE. He's from here (Vancouver) and he got his start for the same local promotion he wrestled for tonight (ECCW) more than a decade ago. I gotta say it was probably the best wrestling match I've ever seen in person. Edging out HBK/Y2J Wrestlemania 19. He was the mystery opponent in the main event and over 1000 people went ape shit when his music hit. It was amazing. This kid can do it all. He's one of the few guys these days that brings a semblance of realism to his matches. I hope he goes far in WWE.
Old 01-15-17, 02:14 PM   #74
DVD Talk Legend

RIP, Jimmy Snuka
Old 01-15-17, 02:48 PM   #75
DVD Talk Legend

While I liked his in ring skills I lost respect for him after learning about his girlfriend and that he may have been the one who killed her.