DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Old 01-04-17, 07:46 AM   #26
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Re: The 2017 Pro Wrestling Thread.

If you don't mind, ask him was he an Elvis fan in real life or was it a gimmick created by the WWF?
Old 01-04-17, 10:04 AM   #27

He had great tag runs as part of the Blonde Bombers and Rhythm & Blues and the record run as IC champion, does he prefer being a singles or tag team wrestler?

Eric Bischoff says HTM is his favorite firing, what led to it and his thoughts on that comment?

PSN: Keith6601
Old 01-04-17, 10:55 AM   #28
DVD Talk Limited Edition

According to Yahoo Sports-Jimmy Superfly Snuka is a free man(case dismissed).
Old 01-04-17, 01:36 PM   #29

I'd watch the numerous interviews with HTM on youtube and ask him different questions.
Old 01-04-17, 02:12 PM   #30
DVD Talk Special Edition

I agree with that, pretty much everything mentioned thus far has been answered by him and is on Youtube. Don't know about the HOF thing.
Old 01-04-17, 07:47 PM   #31
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianxcore View Post
Yup! You can always stream it right away via NJPW's Streaming Service but if you are waiting for AXS, they'll be showing it starting on 1/13/17 in a strange four-part event.

More info here:

http://www.axs.tv/press_articles/axs...arting-jan-13/
Isn't the streaming service still more Japanese centric? I know there are ways around that but is there a proper English language service now?

Also I think he streaming English commentary is done by the ROH guys and the AXS one by Barnett and Ross. Seems odd to dub it twice but maybe a rights issue or something?
Old 01-04-17, 10:05 PM   #32

67-Year-Old Ric Flair Shows He's Still Going Strong by Deadlifting 400 Pounds.
Old 01-04-17, 10:41 PM   #33
DVD Talk Legend

Two of my favorite Independent Female Wrestlers have now officially signed with the WWE. They were among a large group of notable Independent Wrestlers invited to the Performance Center back in September.

(Princess) KimberLee & Heidi Lovelace

http://www.wwe.com/shows/wwenxt/arti...ormance-center

They also signed 'Crazy' Mary Dobson & Evie in the last few months, which is pretty big as well.

Tommy End finally made his NXT in-ring debut back in November. I can't wait until he makes his televised debut and starts murdering people.

DVDTalk "October Horror Movie Challenge"
2014 2013 2012 2011 2010 2009

Last edited by asianxcore; 01-05-17 at 12:08 AM.
Old 01-04-17, 10:48 PM   #34
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: HTM
1- Is it true that he refused to put Macho Man over? If so, why?
2- During his IC run, who was the wrestler he enjoy the most having a program with?
3- According to what we saw on the documentary Wrestling with Shadow, HTM seem to be pretty close to Bret Hart and the whole Hart foundation. What does he think about the Montreal screw job, and did he expect things to go down the way they did?
Old 01-05-17, 10:32 AM   #35
DVD Talk Legend

It looks like most of the bumper plates were 25lbs, so I'm agreeing with others on other sites that Flair dead lifted 285. His form was breathtakingly terrible regardless.
Old 01-05-17, 11:38 AM   #36
DVD Talk Legend

After giving up on wrestling during the Attitude era since I couldn't take the 30+ minutes of HBK and Triple H spew nonsense at the start of every RAW, my son recently took an interest to wrestling again so I've been back watching it for about 9 months or so, and enjoying it for the most part. So when I remember, I'll start to contribute to these threads.

Just some general thoughts, although I really like NXT, I find myself falling months behind regularly. I saw it in Florida and it was a great show, but it's not high on my list to watch, so I often just burn through a bunch of episodes at once. Started watching ROH recently and really enjoyed it as well. Can't say the same for TNA. Just not a fan. Tried watching a number of shows and PPVs, but it just doesn't resonate with me, even though I was a big Hardys fan many years ago when they were first coming to prominence. I'm slowly getting into NJPW as well, and really like that, but most of the shows I'm watching are a year or two old. I did manage to see the Omega championship match from a few days ago and loved it. Definitely started out slow, but after some of the bumps those guys took, especially in their heads, I can only imagine how they felt after the match.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViewAskewbian View Post
So, inching closer to an interview with Honky Tonk Man. As with my chat with The Million Dollar Man, thought I'd ask fans in the forum here if there were any q's you'd be interested in having HTM answer?
Since my son is now a fan, when I put him to bed at night, he likes to pick random wrestlers of the night, where I tell him about an older wrestler that I used to watch and show him some matches on Youtube or the WWE network (I also got him the WWE Encyclopedia for Christmas for this purpose as well). I picked HTM a few nights ago and he's been obsessed with him ever since. He goes around singing his theme song and pretending to hit things with one of my guitars. He's a guy that definitely seems to have burned a lot of bridges. What's his response to Jake The Snake saying that even though HTM knew he was in recovery, he kept trying to get Jake to fall off the wagon?
Old 01-05-17, 01:01 PM   #37
DVD Talk Legend

I'd like to know how HTM got that spot in the company. Even in my youth I never thought he "fit" for that kind of push with the IC title. He seemed the definition of a transitional champion but that transition took a year and a half.

Funny that 2 pages into this new year thread and I'm not sure there has been any posts about the current product. It's dark times for the WWE right now, even though I think Cena and Styles are doing some good mic work to further this feud.
Old 01-05-17, 01:24 PM   #38
DVD Talk Legend

I'm a big fan of Styles, easily one of my favorite wrestlers. Cena came about after I stopped watching wrestling so I don't have the built in animosity that many others do, but I'm not a big fan anyway. One guy that I absolutely can't stand is Dean Ambrose. Actually, the same can be said for all of the Shield, but Ambrose especially.

I preferred years ago when they'd build a few around sneak attacks, interviews getting interrupted, etc as opposed to having the same guys wrestle each other over and over again, on Mondays/Tuesdays, and then again headlining PPVs. I like how they are handling Goldberg/Lesnar, but since both are part timers, there's no other way they can really go. Enough of the Owens/Reigns Styles/Ambrose Flair/Banks matches. A few months ago you could say the same about Owens/Zayn, Miz/Ziggler, etc. It's hard to get excited about matches that you see weekly.
Old 01-05-17, 02:39 PM   #39
DVD Talk Legend

Jeff Jarrett Back to TNA

Quote:
Anthem Media has come to terms for Jeff Jarrett to return to TNA, PWInsider.com has confirmed. We are told that Jarrett will be at this week's TV tapings, as will his wife Karen Jarrett.

Jarrett, one of the original founders of TNA alongside his father Jerry Jarrett, resigned his position from the company in December 2013. At the time, Jarrett held the position of Executive Vice President of Development/Original Programming and his departure was seen as a huge shock at the time.

Jarrett would go on to form Global Force Wrestling while still a minority shareholder in TNA, which was seen as an embarrassment to TNA at the time. There was such an anger about that from Carter's end, that, at the time TNA brought back the six-sided ring, numerous sources told PWInsider.com that it was done because Carter felt Jarrett would do it within GFW, so it was TNA's way of cutting him off at the pass.

As it turned out, Jarrett was brought back in 2014 as part of a deal that saw him inducted into the TNA Hall of Fame on camera while behind the scenes, Dixie Carter acquired his shares in the company, giving her, at the time 100% ownership. It was a deal that was done so that Carter had complete control and could attempt to find new partners without Jarrett's potential interference, something that led TNA down the road to Aroluxe, Billy Corgan and finally Anthem Media.

Only, Anthem decided to turn to Jarrett.

The re-emergence of Jarrett was pointed to this morning as a sign that Carter was completely out in terms of decision-making as the pair had at times, split the loyalty within the company between their two sides and had a number of falling outs over the years, including a time period where Jarrett took time off from the company after it became public knowledge he was dating his now wife Karen (who had previously been married to Kurt Angle, at the time the top star in TNA). During that time away, Carter let go of Jarrett's entire support staff at the time, including Dutch Mantel, Savio Vega, Jim Cornette and Brian "Roaddogg" James.

"There is no way [Carter] would have allowed Jeff to return," said one source who spoke under condition of anonymity this morning. "This is proof that she is done."

The return of Jarrett makes him something of a Steve Jobs figure within TNA as like Jobs, Jarrett was forced out/walked away from something he created, only for that same entity to reach out seeking his assistance in righting it down the line. Anthem reached out to Jarrett last month and held a number of meetings with him as they did their due diligence prior to officially announcing yesterday that they had acquired Impact Wrestling.

We are also told that Dutch Mantel is already in Orlando and is expected at this week's tapings, which certainly lends credence to the idea that Jarrett will be helping behind the scenes in terms of creative as Mantel was always one of his top lieutenants in that regard in the past. After being let go by TNA, Mantel, considered a great mind for the business, had a run with WWE as Zeb Colter.

We are also told that this does not mean the end of Jarrett's Global Force Wrestling promotion, which has been working to establish a TV deal in conjunction with "American Ninja Warrior" production company A. Smith & Co. Productions in Los Angeles. Sources indicate that whatever Jarrett is doing with TNA, it will not impede any potential GFW business moving forward.
There is a master key and a spare key for the office. Dwight has them both. When I asked, "what if you die, Dwight? How will we get into the office?" He said, "if I'm dead, you guys have been dead for weeks."
Old 01-05-17, 04:00 PM   #40
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber View Post
I'd like to know how HTM got that spot in the company.
I did see this answer in one of his other shoots. Similiar to what happened with Dibiase, Vince wanted an Elvis gimmick and HTM was the guy he thought would fit the roll the best.

As shown throughout history, any idea created by Vince is going to get pushed pretty hard.
Old 01-05-17, 06:15 PM   #41
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

This is probably answered in other shoots as well, but I've never watched any of them... how exactly did Honky get ownership of the gimmick? I don't know if I've ever seen another wrester with a gimmick created whole cloth by WWF/E walk into another major promotion with the name and everything in tact.

-----
PSN: CactusKind
Old 01-06-17, 03:12 PM   #42
DVD Talk Legend

Looks like the Hall of Fame this year is being led by DDP and Ravishing Rick Rude so far.
Old 01-06-17, 03:22 PM   #43
DVD Talk Legend

good for DDP. He has performed more miracles outside of the ring.
There is a master key and a spare key for the office. Dwight has them both. When I asked, "what if you die, Dwight? How will we get into the office?" He said, "if I'm dead, you guys have been dead for weeks."
Old 01-06-17, 05:30 PM   #44
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by DthRdrX View Post
Looks like the Hall of Fame this year is being led by DDP and Ravishing Rick Rude so far.
I was never much of a DDP fan, but the guy loves the business and is doing the Lord's work outside the ring, so good for him.

Rick Rude would like to have all you fat, out of shape, internet posting sweathogs keep the noise down while he take his robe off and shows all the ladies what a real WWE Hall of Famer is supposed to look like.
Old 01-06-17, 07:09 PM   #45
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Needle View Post
I was never much of a DDP fan, but the guy loves the business and is doing the Lord's work outside the ring, so good for him.

Rick Rude would like to have all you fat, out of shape, internet posting sweathogs keep the noise down while he take his robe off and shows all the ladies what a real WWE Hall of Famer is supposed to look like.
That's what he's known for but his latter run in WCW and with the Dangerous Alliance was IMO his definitive run. Does Heyman induct him?
Old 01-06-17, 08:53 PM   #46
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
I know there are ways around that but is there a proper English language service now?
Not that I know of. There is a way to sign-up for the service if you don't speak/read Japanese as well as Paypal/Credit Card checkout now.

Old 01-06-17, 09:33 PM   #47
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

about time Rude got the nod. I guess that means Davey Boy and Owen are off the list for this year.
Old 01-07-17, 08:00 PM   #48
Cool New Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViewAskewbian View Post
So, inching closer to an interview with Honky Tonk Man. As with my chat with The Million Dollar Man, thought I'd ask fans in the forum here if there were any q's you'd be interested in having HTM answer?
BTW. I LOVED your interview with The Million Dollar Man.

--------

What match had the most potential to only fail in the ring?

How have wrestling fans from other countries reacted to his gimmick?

Was there any jobber out there that he wrestled that impressed him?

What's his favorite promotion currently?

As a fan, what region's style/culture of wrestling does he like the most? You know, like... The USA, Mexico, The UK, Japan, etc.

Last edited by NWO4Life; 01-07-17 at 08:51 PM.
Old 01-07-17, 09:23 PM   #49
DVD Talk Legend

I just finished watching Wrestle Kingdom 11. What an amazing show.

Old 01-08-17, 04:23 PM   #50
Cool New Member

They had it up on YT. It was truly amazing. No way WWE even matches up to that ever this year if even this decade. No freaking way.

Haku's boys were cursing like crazy in that match. I enjoy it just for that if not the actual match. Hilariously awesome match.

That last match was like 46 minutes long of perfection. It was an art in that ring. Amazing match. One of the best matches, I've ever seen in my lifetime. Really makes me wonder where Omega goes from there. I don't want him to go WWE. They just can't tell a story for shit. NJPW has been the top dog in the quality for a while now. Insane the amount of creativity they have. WWE for all their money can't compare w/ the imagination allowed for their talent and what they themselves have to tell a story.