DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Old 02-06-17, 08:37 AM   #251
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: The 2017 Pro Wrestling Thread.

How does the WWE Network differ in Canada rather than the United States?
Old 02-06-17, 09:42 AM   #252
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by DthRdrX View Post
Did Bret ever mention how he felt about Owen staying when he went to WCW?
From what I remember reading from Hart's autobiography years ago, he asked Vince to release Owen from his contract(after the "Screwjob") and Vince said no. Owen couldn't quit because he need the job, so Bret felt lousy about it.
Old 02-06-17, 10:29 AM   #253
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringmaster View Post
From what I remember reading from Hart's autobiography years ago, he asked Vince to release Owen from his contract(after the "Screwjob") and Vince said no. Owen couldn't quit because he need the job, so Bret felt lousy about it.
I always thought, his death aside, Bret finally being out of the way might have helped him in the long run. Too bad he never had that chance. On the flip, everyone that Bret had heat with loved Owen.
Old 02-06-17, 11:22 AM   #254
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringmaster View Post
I remember reading about this too. Owen was stuck in one of the worst situations possible. Vince didn't give him his release, Owen had to work cause he had just started building his own dream house and then he had to take all the heat for what went down at Survivor Series. Instead of being pushed to the moon he had to job to DX constantly and then was sent to being a background player for the Nation of Domination.

Owen going to WCW is one of the biggest what if? ever. He'll probably would still be alive today, Bret would have been able to have his own stable instead of becoming another wrestler in the NWO. Maybe the Bulldog wouldn't have suffered his injury in WCW. Lots of what if.
Old 02-06-17, 11:36 AM   #255
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
I remember reading about this too. Owen was stuck in one of the worst situations possible. Vince didn't give him his release, Owen had to work cause he had just started building his own dream house and then he had to take all the heat for what went down at Survivor Series. Instead of being pushed to the moon he had to job to DX constantly and then was sent to being a background player for the Nation of Domination.
From what I remember reading, he was supposed to get a push after Bret left, however he screwed up a promo and Vince lost faith in him being in that position so he was pushed to the side. Plus Owen wasn't in the best shape at that time either.

Quote:
Owen going to WCW is one of the biggest what if? ever. He'll probably would still be alive today, Bret would have been able to have his own stable instead of becoming another wrestler in the NWO. Maybe the Bulldog wouldn't have suffered his injury in WCW. Lots of what if.
Realistically him going to WCW would have featured him buried in the mid card like Anvil and Bulldog were. But considering how WCW operated ge might have preferred staying home barely working and getting a big check. For sure he would be alive today though and that's the most sad part.
Old 02-06-17, 11:50 AM   #256
DVD Talk Special Edition

According to Bruce Prichard's podcast Owen Hart was given the opportunity to leave just like the rest of the family. Owen decided not to and received a nice raise and he actually received a decent push, at least initially.
Old 02-06-17, 03:28 PM   #257
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewCrew View Post
According to Bruce Prichard's podcast Owen Hart was given the opportunity to leave just like the rest of the family. Owen decided not to and received a nice raise and he actually received a decent push, at least initially.
This is what I remember hearing as well. The Bulldog and Rick Rude walked while Owen decided to stay.

I remember the reports that night and the next morning mentioning that Foley and some others were tempted to quit all together. Morale before Raw was so bad that the Undertaker went to Vince representing everyone and told him he was wrong.
Old 02-06-17, 03:29 PM   #258
DVD Talk Legend

The Rock and Roll Express are going into the HoF. They spent 2 or 3 matches in the WWF when Jim Cornette was trying to put over SMW.
Old 02-06-17, 08:04 PM   #259
DVD Talk Legend

HBK is now not the only one to go over an hour with Bret Hart.

Was a great chat. Full story / audio to come but some highlights (and sadder twists):

-100 per cent cancer free
-Didn't really want to pursue wrestling. Wanted to make movies
-The Dungeon was not as imposing as it's made out to be. In fact, a lot of the kids were go down there because it had a good heater so they could sleep next to it in the winter
-Felt Stampede really focused on wrestling while WWF focused on pagentry which is why, when he got there, a lot of the wrestling background moved to the forefront in those tag matches
-Loved being a heel character
-Feels the angle with him being face in one country and heel in another would really go over well in today's political climate. In fact, he'd probably draw more heat than Trump
-Feels he was really instrumental in kick starting the Attitude Era
-Says Kevin Owens and Zayne are the best in the business right now
-Looks at a lot of the matches he missed out on and says Angle, Punk and Cena would be opponents he'd have loved to face
-Still has some animosity towards HHH but sees NXT as an amazing product with consistently good matches
-Some sadder twists, he's lost feeling in three fingers on his hand due to a recent surgery
-His brother Smith Hart has just been given a year to live, also battling cancer
Old 02-06-17, 09:14 PM   #260
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by robin2099 View Post
From what I remember reading, he was supposed to get a push after Bret left, however he screwed up a promo and Vince lost faith in him being in that position so he was pushed to the side. Plus Owen wasn't in the best shape at that time either.

Realistically him going to WCW would have featured him buried in the mid card like Anvil and Bulldog were. But considering how WCW operated ge might have preferred staying home barely working and getting a big check. For sure he would be alive today though and that's the most sad part.
You remember which promo that was? Cause I vaguely remember watching him fumble a promo after the screw job but don't remember which one.

Him being a little out of shape is something I remember pretty well but I also remember reading something about Owen having some nagging injuries from 97-99. That's why he was pretty close to retiring before his death.
Old 02-06-17, 10:07 PM   #261
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Hulk Hogan Is Reportedly Coming Back To WWE "Sooner Than Later"

Dave Meltzer has responded to one of his followers on Twitter who asked him when is Hulk Hogan returning to WWE. Meltzer responded and said "Expect it sooner than later."

Hogan was spectacularly fired from WWE in July 2015 following a race storm which left The Hulkster in a PR nightmare. Recently Hogan's daughter Brooke recently told TMZ that WWE has been in contact with "The Hulkster" regarding a return at WWE's biggest pay-per-view of the year:

"I'll just say I know that people have been calling him...for WrestleMania."
He recently reached a $31 million settlement with Gawker in his invasion of privacy lawsuit.

http://www.wrestlingnewssource.com/n...To-WWE-Sooner/
Old 02-06-17, 10:23 PM   #262

Quote:
Originally Posted by DthRdrX View Post
The Rock and Roll Express are going into the HoF. They spent 2 or 3 matches in the WWF when Jim Cornette was trying to put over SMW.
I remember them from their time in Jim Crockett Promotions and the National Wrestling Alliance. They were huge in the 80's.

http://www.wwe.com/shows/wwe-hall-fa...7?sf54666293=1
Old 02-06-17, 11:08 PM   #263
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViewAskewbian View Post
HBK is now not the only one to go over an hour with Bret Hart.

On a related note, if anyone hasn't read Bret Hart's autobiography I highly recommend it. Absolutely fantastic stuff. Gets much heavier than other wrestler bios (like Foley's or Jericho's), but as you can guess it needs to. But lots of fun and fascinating stories too. Bret has always seemed like a no BS "tell it like it is" guy ... and he isn't afraid to be self-critical.

Quote:
-Loved being a heel character
-Feels the angle with him being face in one country and heel in another would really go over well in today's political climate. In fact, he'd probably draw more heat than Trump
His heel character then was really unlike anything I had ever seen. The best fictional villains are those who truly believe they are right, and I never saw that done as well in wrestling as Bret Hart's mid 90s heel turn. Many times, it was hard to even argue he was wrong.

That's an interesting idea about how something similar could work today. Of course, with Vince's personal ties to Trump I don't see WWE doing anything that could offend him. But it's easy to imagine a JBL-like character being a full blown babyface in some states, while being a despised heel in other states (California, NY, Washington) and everywhere else in the world.

Quote:
-Feels he was really instrumental in kick starting the Attitude Era
Can't argue with that at all.
Old 02-07-17, 10:53 PM   #264
DVD Talk Legend

Mike Adamle update:

http://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local...413103093.html

summary: "Adamle now has dementia and what doctors believe could be Chronic Traumatic Encephelopathy, also known as CTE."

Last edited by GuessWho; 02-08-17 at 09:40 AM.
Old 02-08-17, 02:11 AM   #265
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

The Rock n Roll Express are well deserved. I wonder who inducts them. I doubt its Cornette considering how openly critical he is of the WWE. I really hope down the line The Midnight Express and Cornette get in.
Old 02-08-17, 08:00 AM   #266
DVD Talk Legend

The Midnight Express (Beautiful Bobby and Sweet Stan) ate the RnR Express' lunch. It's a shame that they're not in already but I don't think they ever wrestled in that combination in a WWF ring.
Old 02-08-17, 11:00 AM   #267
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvd-4-life View Post
It's called WWE(h?) network
Old 02-08-17, 11:05 AM   #268

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber View Post
The Midnight Express (Beautiful Bobby and Sweet Stan) ate the RnR Express' lunch. It's a shame that they're not in already but I don't think they ever wrestled in that combination in a WWF ring.
This comes from wiki:

The Midnight Express name was resurrected by the World Wrestling Federation (WWF) in the late 1990s when they put a combination of Bob Holly (as "Bombastic Bob") and Bart Gunn (as "Bodacious Bart") together as "The New Midnight Express" with Cornette as their manager all as part of the "NWA invasion" angle. On March 30, 1998, they won the NWA World Tag Team Championship from the Headbangers but did not achieve much more success in the WWF.

Despite having Cornette in their corner and the name "Midnight Express", wrestling fans consider this incarnation of the team as nothing more than a rib by Vince McMahon on Cornette, and in shoot interviews Cornette has indeed indicated that he never considered the team as continuing the lineage of the Midnight Express, since it was not his idea nor his intention to have "glorified jobbers" like Gunn and Holly take on the moniker (although Gunn and Holly were both former tag team champions prior to being teamed).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mi...onal_wrestling)
Old 02-08-17, 11:25 PM   #269
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber View Post
If they ever go in, there's no way they can go in without Condrey. Eaton, Condrey, Lane and Cornette. Randy Rose and Norvell Austin can hit the bricks.
Old 02-09-17, 08:34 AM   #270
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvd-4-life View Post
I'm in Canada & have the WWE Network. The differences between Canada and the US will depend on your service provider. Some service providers do not allow online access, so therefore, you can only access the network like a regular TV channel, which means no on demand, which really is the best part of the WWE Network to me (aside from the live PPVs). Even if they do grant online access, I don't think that we have the same access to all of the library content as the US does (at least that was the case in the past).

My provider is one of these companies that don't allow for online access, so to get around this, I signed up using a US VPN. Doing this means that I can access the online library through Xbox 360/Ones, PS3/4, etc. I don't even have to be behind VPNs to get access now, I just needed it for signup. It also grants access to everything that is available in the US.
Old 02-09-17, 04:29 PM   #271
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuessWho View Post
Mike Adamle update:

video at http://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local...413103093.html

summary: "Adamle now has dementia and what doctors believe could be Chronic Traumatic Encephelopathy, also known as CTE."
Part 2 with more videos

http://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local...413224093.html
Old 02-11-17, 05:36 AM   #272
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Here's hoping Ivan Koloff goes in the WWE HOF(despite being part of the lawsuit against the WWE).

I was reading at Kayfabe Memories that he has advanced liver cancer and he needs 30 grand to help pay for medical bills according to his daughter.

He and Stasiak are the only two WWE World Champs in the post era that aren't in the HOF.
Old 02-11-17, 11:15 AM   #273
DVD Talk Legend

Writing up the Bret Hart article now and will post link here in a few but a few more interesting tidbits now that I am going over the audio:

-Says Sami and Owens are the two best wrestlers in the business right
-Says Daniel Bryan is one of the best to ever lace up a pair of boots
-Joked how the US vs Canada angle from '97 would draw so much heat today, especially if he had Trump as a manager
Old 02-11-17, 01:27 PM   #274
DVD Talk Legend

Story / interview audio with Bret Hart now live here:

http://bit.ly/2lvN7AO
Old 02-11-17, 03:11 PM   #275
DVD Talk Legend

There are a lot of teams that should go in before the Express.