Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Old 10-30-16, 10:44 AM   #26
DVD Talk Legend

Re: ESPN Loses 621,000 Subscribers; Worst Month In Company History

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvd-4-life View Post
All the pro sports leagues(except MLS) have their own networks. That's where you go for game highlights. No need for ESPN. Plus every sport has it's own package(MLB.tv,NFL Sunday Ticket,etc.) where you can see just about every game. No need for ESPN.

ESPN is for the fan who is still living in the 1980s.

I often wonder why these Networks over spend for the TV rights of the sports leagues when they could form their very own leagues and not have to worry about paying for rights. Didn't NBC overbid by 1 billion dollars for the olypmics?
If they formed their own leagues, nobody would watch it. They've tried to buy into less expensive leagues that already exist, like Canadian football, and nobody watched that. You're proposing a new USFL composed of teams that have zero history or fan loyalty.
Old 10-30-16, 11:01 AM   #27
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Danger View Post
If they formed their own leagues, nobody would watch it. They've tried to buy into less expensive leagues that already exist, like Canadian football, and nobody watched that. You're proposing a new USFL composed of teams that have zero history or fan loyalty.
That's how the AFL started(no history or fan loyalty) but there was a hunger for their product.

The NFL being on all the time hurts another league from starting because of overkill.

The CFL would have worked in the USA if the expansion teams were in the Northern states(Portland,Detroit,Columbus,OH,Syracuse-Rochester,NY).
Old 10-30-16, 05:49 PM   #28
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I blame the NFL for the crummy MNF games, as I can't remember the last time I watched except when my Eagles play.

I actually think the 4:00 national game is usually better then the MNF game. I'm watching the Packers/Falcons on Fox and could care less about Bears/Vikings tomorrow night.

I only need ESPN and could do without ESPN2, ESPNEWS and ESPNU as I only watch the Sunday Night Baseball game in the summer and NBA playoffs in the spring.
Old 10-30-16, 06:02 PM   #29
DVD Talk Hero

The studio shows like Sportscenter, First Take, Baseball Tonight etc. are hit or miss. Some people think they have value and many think they're a waste of time. I personally don't enjoy the opinion-based studio shows. I think the straight forward news shows like NFL Total Access, MLB Tonight or NBA GameTime have more value.

But, you can't deny that ESPN does 1st rate production on their live events (no matter the quality of the product) including NBA, College Basketball/Football, NASCAR and even some of the smaller sports. While watching sports on TV costs more now, we have thousands of hours at our disposal and more options than ever before like with scripted TV.

If having a sports TV subscription like ESPN is too expensive for you, then great. Cancel it and do something else with your money that you think will be more productive for you.

I love how some folks think that ESPN is too expensive and don't want it, yet they don't mind "borrowing" someone else's account to have access it. So it's too expensive for you, but as long as someone else is paying for it, then it's all good?
Old 10-30-16, 08:41 PM   #30
DVD Talk Godfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
I love how some folks think that ESPN is too expensive and don't want it, yet they don't mind "borrowing" someone else's account to have access it. So it's too expensive for you, but as long as someone else is paying for it, then it's all good?
That's what it always comes down to and it's pretty sad. I have friends who 'cut the cord' and even from previous threads here, the question is always "how do you watch your favorite team?" The answer is always "borrowing" someone else's account, aka stealing. Pretty sad for grown ass adults.

Now Playing: Horizon Zero Dawn | Puzzle Craft 2
Old 10-30-16, 10:47 PM   #31
DVD Talk Special Edition

If sports fan think they are overpaying just wait until older non sports fans figure out how to get all their shows on streaming packages. The same way taxpayers who don't watch sports subsidize stadiums the little old lady from Pasadena and other Nana's cable bill sportscarrriage charge are partially paying for the sports people get.
Old 10-30-16, 11:14 PM   #32
DVD Talk Legend

I blame insufferable talking heads like Skip Bayless and Stephen A. Smith. Chris Berman's schtick has been old since the 90s.
Old 10-31-16, 06:28 AM   #33
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin View Post
That's what it always comes down to and it's pretty sad. I have friends who 'cut the cord' and even from previous threads here, the question is always "how do you watch your favorite team?" The answer is always "borrowing" someone else's account, aka stealing. Pretty sad for grown ass adults.
As a huge sports fan, I don't think I will ever cut the cord cause they 'got' me. I watch my local Philly teams on Comcast, and there is enough national games of the 4 Pro Sports on (FoxSports, ESPN, NBCSports, TNT, TBS, etc) that I don't think it would save money to ever cut the cord?
Old 10-31-16, 01:22 PM   #34
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnabb View Post
As a huge sports fan, I don't think I will ever cut the cord cause they 'got' me. I watch my local Philly teams on Comcast, and there is enough national games of the 4 Pro Sports on (FoxSports, ESPN, NBCSports, TNT, TBS, etc) that I don't think it would save money to ever cut the cord?
If your a die hard sports fan I don't see how cutting the cord is even an option. This year aside from the World series all MLB playoff games were on cable. Same with the NBA playoffs. I think the NFL is the only major sport where all or most playoff games are on the major networks. And I know you can subscribe to the different entities (NBA,NHL,MLB) to get coverage. But you would have to pay to subscribe to like 3 or 4 different leagues to equal what cable offers and at that point you may as well just get cable.
Old 12-06-16, 11:16 PM   #35
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Could ESPN and ABC be sold off by Disney, it speculation, but it could happen.
http://awfulannouncing.com/2016/woul...long-term.html
Quote:
The adverse effects on Disney stock from disappointing ESPN results have been well-noted, and some think selling or spinning off ESPN might help Disney’s overall stock performance. Bloomberg’s Tara LaChapelle has a good history of this idea and the latest developments on it:

Back in May, I wrote that a breakup of Disney may be [the] answer. Separating ESPN (or the media networks division altogether) could not only help lift the company’s sagging valuation, but also make it a little easier to find a successor. Recall that Tom Staggs, the Magic Kingdom’s heir apparent, abruptly stepped down as chief operating officer earlier this year. And former CFO Jay Rasulo, the other possible pick, quit in 2015.

…Last month, billionaire John Malone — the dealmaker of all media dealmakers — speculated that Disney may spin off or sell ESPN, along with maybe ABC. He then went so far as to say Apple Inc. may be interested in merging with Disney after the split. The Edge, which analyzes spinoffs, has written about a Disney breakup, too, noting that the media networks and the rest of Disney “lack sufficient synergies and have vastly different outlooks and business model challenges.”

Now, RBC Capital Markets analyst Steven Cahall is jumping on the bandwagon. In a report Monday, Cahall wrote that ESPN “has almost single-handedly de-rated Disney by about 3.5 to 4 turns” of its Ebitda multiple. After the stock got a small pop Monday, Disney was valued at 10.7 times the Ebitda it generated in the past 12 months. That’s down from a multiple of nearly 14 about a year ago, according to data compiled by Bloomberg.
Old 12-07-16, 04:23 AM   #36
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I wonder how many new subscribers ESPN has now since the start up of Directv Now?
Old 12-07-16, 09:17 AM   #37
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrush View Post
If your a die hard sports fan I don't see how cutting the cord is even an option. This year aside from the World series all MLB playoff games were on cable. Same with the NBA playoffs. I think the NFL is the only major sport where all or most playoff games are on the major networks. And I know you can subscribe to the different entities (NBA,NHL,MLB) to get coverage. But you would have to pay to subscribe to like 3 or 4 different leagues to equal what cable offers and at that point you may as well just get cable.
I know this post is a couple of months old, but we're almost getting to the point where there are viable "cord-cutting" options for sports fans, with streaming TV services like Playstation Vue and Sling TV. The packages tend to be significantly cheaper than cable/dish even when you get the ones you need to for local sports channels (at least with PS Vue).

That said, in my experience with streaming live sports via WatchESPN and Fox Sports Go on various devices (Chromecast, PS3/PS4, etc), I don't think the reliability is quite there yet for live sports. When they can more consistently deliver a high quality, glitch-free stream across platforms, it will be a real option.
Old 12-07-16, 02:54 PM   #38
DVD Talk Legend

Let's face it, the poor quality of analysts and type of content ESPN started pushing drove off viewers.

I watched Baseball Tonight religiously since the 1990s and gave up on it in the past four years, when ESPN decided covering baseball was a secondary concern. The show is currently unwatchable and they often delay/cancel that night's showing on a whim. MLB Network eats ESPN's lunch on baseball.

Even though I am a very casual hockey fan, it rankled me when ESPN basically stopped covering the NHL. That told me ESPN didn't care any longer about covering sports they didn't have a direct financial stake in.

Then ESPN got the incredibly dumb idea of pushing Progressive politics into sports. Sports had been left out of politics for decades until ESPN decided differently.

Over 5000 Blu-rays ranked by pure video quality.

Last edited by PhantomStranger; 12-07-16 at 08:40 PM.
Old 12-07-16, 03:01 PM   #39
DVD Talk Legend

I hope the trend continues and cable/satellites world comes crashing down around them. I dabbled with PS Vue, but I have found that I don't miss or need television service anymore really. It helps that I have mostly outgrown sports, it's such a colossal waste of time.
3DS Friend Code:1178-1287-2020

My Countdown Counting down to: The first Saturday in May.
346 days 1 hours 21 minutes
Old 12-07-16, 03:15 PM   #40
DVD Talk Legend

I've said this elsewhere but with the quality of coverage from MLB Network and NHL Network I have zero reason to watch anything on ESPN.

I almost took the plunge this month with PS Vue when I saw they had the local Comcast SportsNet channels. However the loss of the Viacom channels and their missing a few other channels we watch hasn't gotten me to cut the cord just yet. But it's coming for sure.
Old 12-07-16, 10:19 PM   #41
DVD Talk Gold Edition

After the Cavaliers absolutely clobbered the Knicks today, LeBron was seen playing around with a water bottle at Madison Square Garden. How many times will ESPN mention that tomorrow?
Old 12-08-16, 01:46 PM   #42
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinCB View Post
After the Cavaliers absolutely clobbered the Knicks today, LeBron was seen playing around with a water bottle at Madison Square Garden. How many times will ESPN mention that tomorrow?
Good job on calling it my friend. Making news out of nothing, good job ESPN.

Last edited by Bluelitespecial; 12-08-16 at 03:27 PM.
Old 12-08-16, 02:15 PM   #43
DVD Talk Godfather

I don't want to go as far as saying it's bad sportsmanship or anything that extreme because it's not that big of a deal to me, but I think it's a douchey thing to do on the sideline of a game. But those kind of antics are normal for Lebron it seems.

And of course you can GFY. -chess
Old 12-09-16, 08:39 AM   #44
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post
I don't want to go as far as saying it's bad sportsmanship or anything that extreme because it's not that big of a deal to me, but I think it's a douchey thing to do on the sideline of a game. But those kind of antics are normal for Lebron it seems.
Wilbon mentioned on PTI that Russell, Bird, Jordan, Magic et al. Even kobe. Would never have done that in a million years. And hes right. They had too much respect for the game.
Old 12-09-16, 10:22 PM   #45

Will this move help increase viewership? First Take moving from ESPN2 to ESPN in Jan 2017.

With viewership for First Take tanking in the post-Skip Bayless era, execs in Bristol are taking a drastic measure. According to John Ourand of Sports Business Daily, First Take will soon move from ESPN2, where it has lived for almost 10 years, to the main ESPN channel.

As of Jan. 3, First Take will appear on ESPN from 10 a.m. to noon. The two SportsCenter programs currently in that slot—an interview show with Hannah Storm and the “Coast to Coast” version with Cari Champion and David Lloyd—will slide over to ESPN2.

http://awfulannouncing.com/2016/firs...iewership.html
Old 12-11-16, 10:32 AM   #46
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Wilbon mentioned on PTI that Russell, Bird, Jordan, Magic et al. Even kobe. Would never have done that in a million years. And hes right. They had too much respect for the game.
It's such a shame that Lebron still does this silly stuff and I think alof of it stems that he didn't have a father when he was growing up to teach him about stuff like this.

I know I am generalizing but I remember seeing an interview with Gretzky and his father was a big influence in his life about teaching him respect for the game, and the little things that come with being a star as a child. Lebron still acts like a child sometimes despite the fact that he is the best player in the NBA of this era, so he doesn't realize that he is setting an example for younger players in everything he does. You wouldn't see players acting like this around Jordan or Brady because they know they would get an ear-full from them.

I don't want people to take my post the wrong way saying every player who grows up without a father will do stupid shit like this, but as Chris Rock said in his standup there is nothing scarier then when your mom says, "Don't let me get your daddy involved in this!"
Old 12-11-16, 12:58 PM   #47
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I REALLY hate to say this, but (in my opinion!) another issue with ESPN nowadays is that many of the hosts and analysts show an obvious political bias, unfortunately alienating many viewers given the current political climate. The fact they fed into the Colin Kaepernick controversy didn't help matters, either.

I have this feeling we may be on the verge of seeing SUBSTANTIAL changes at ESPN. ESPN President John Skipper's job is now on the line, and so are the managers under him. We could see ESPN shutting down ESPNU, SEC Network and Longhorn Network, and turn ESPNews into essentially a second ESPN 2. And sell off part of their NBA and college football broadcast packages to other networks. And possibly even phase out ESPN Radio.

I reject your reality and substitute my own! -- Adam Savage, Mythbusters
Old 12-11-16, 01:22 PM   #48
DVD Talk God

Given their contractual obligations, it's easier said than done to shut down channels (or sell the rights to fulfill said obligations). That won't happen at least until some of those obligations expire.
"A question for you. Would you rather Bucknell make the NCAA's once every 20 years or so and get ass raped by teams like Kansas in the first round or have them drop down a rung to a confernce where they can compete for a title?"
- Josh Hinkle
1st Round Final Scores: Bucknell 64 Kansas 63 | Bucknell 59 Arkansas 55
Old 12-11-16, 07:08 PM   #49
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post
Quote:
Lebron has always been an ass. Remember when he started dancing on the bench on blowout game to the Bulls. None of the greats would have done that.

Old 12-11-16, 07:29 PM   #50
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Maybe LeBron is just getting back at Phil for calling his boys as posse.