Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

View Poll Results: Who will win the NBA Finals?
Cavaliers 6 30.00%
Warriors 8 40.00%
Spurs 1 5.00%
Clippers 0 0%
Celtics 1 5.00%
Raptors 1 5.00%
Thunder 0 0%
Pacers 1 5.00%
Blazers 0 0%
Jazz 0 0%
Grizzlies 0 0%
Timberwolves 0 0%
Hawks 0 0%
Rockets 0 0%
Other 2 10.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-01-16, 11:48 AM   #126
DVD Talk Godfather

Re: 2016-17 NBA Regular Season Thread

Thunder are currently 12-8, so at the current pace they win close to 50 games. If they maintain that pace or even end up in the high 40's, I think that's still enough for voters to pick someone with crazy stats.

And again, especially if the top teams are splitting votes with their loaded rosters. In 2006 when Kobe averaged 35 points a game on a shitty 8th seeded Lakers team, he finished 4th overall in MVP voting but received the second most first place votes. Russ is doing more, and i'm not sure if there's another player yet making headlines like that this year.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/...ards_2006.html

And of course you can GFY. -chess

Last edited by fumanstan; 12-01-16 at 11:54 AM.
Old 12-01-16, 12:06 PM   #127
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The key for MVP candidates is how high of a team winning percentage is enough? Certainly a player on a team than loses more games than it wins is hard MVP sell over a player with similar stats on a winning team. But I have seen many people (fans and people paid for their opinion) basically turn the MVP award into the best player on the best team award.

Personally I give far more credit to somebody like Westbrook who is basically the reason his team is in the hunt over other star players that just happen to be on the team with best winning percentage.
Old 12-01-16, 08:25 PM   #128
DVD Talk Legend

I just can't see a player averaging a triple double not winning the MVP no matter what his team is doing. It's not like he's grabbing stats to be selfish (i.e.: grabbing rebounds away from teammates) That being said, I don't think he'll actually average a triple double. I'd feel the same way if some averaged something else statistically insane like 50 points or 20 assists or rebounds over a season, something that hasn't been done in the modern era.

Amazing that he and Harden are putting up crazy stats, and that at one time they both shared the court with Durant. I realize usage rates would change but that should've been a super team by this point.
Old 12-02-16, 09:16 AM   #129
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Awesome win by the Rockets at Golden State. I'm still expecting the ship to sink at some point, don't trust D'Antoni at all.
Old 12-02-16, 01:54 PM   #130
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Nothing questionable here. Nope.

Old 12-02-16, 05:36 PM   #131
DVD Talk Legend

Axe kick!
Old 12-05-16, 09:15 PM   #132
DVD Talk Legend

Raps just can't beat the Cavs. It's like the same game every time. As good as DeRozan and Lowry are, LBJ and Kyrie are better. Love outscores our bench.

We need need like Anthony Davis or someone to turn the tide.
Old 12-05-16, 11:30 PM   #133
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrochimp View Post
Raps just can't beat the Cavs. It's like the same game every time. As good as DeRozan and Lowry are, LBJ and Kyrie are better. Love outscores our bench.

We need need like Anthony Davis or someone to turn the tide.
Yeah, like you and every other team in the league.
Old 12-06-16, 09:35 AM   #134
DVD Talk Godfather

Damn Klay.

Old 12-07-16, 11:55 AM   #135
DVD Talk Legend

Happy 60th birthday, Larry Legend.

"we get paid for butt time" - mosquitobite

"It felt much more comfortable when I was trying them on. No sharp edge poking my skin." - Buford T. Pusser
Old 12-08-16, 10:55 PM   #136
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Pop's a "genius," but he still thinks Parker and Ginobili are 10 years younger. They both have to go. Also, does Phoenix still want Aldridge? They can have him.
Old 12-15-16, 12:26 AM   #137
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Adrian WojnarowskiVerified account
‏@WojVerticalNBA
Sources: Under new CBA, the league will shorten preseason and start the regular season a week sooner. Another way to space out games.
Old 12-15-16, 10:43 AM   #138
DVD Talk Godfather

Lakers lose their 8th in a row Not surprised given the young team and some injuries, hoping they can pull it together.

Old 12-15-16, 02:41 PM   #139
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Craig Sager has died. R.I.P., Craig.

https://twitter.com/HowardBeck/statu...643521/photo/1
Old 12-15-16, 02:48 PM   #140

Blargh, they need to SHORTEN the season. Not make it longer.
Old 12-15-16, 02:51 PM   #141
DVD Talk Legend

RIP Mr. Sager.

"It felt much more comfortable when I was trying them on. No sharp edge poking my skin." - Buford T. Pusser
Old 12-16-16, 08:59 PM   #142
DVD Talk Hero

This Lakers-Sixers game offends my eyes.
And the announcer just asked if he was on the Naughty List to be stuck with this game.
Old 12-17-16, 09:40 AM   #143
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decker View Post
This Lakers-Sixers game offends my eyes.
And the announcer just asked if he was on the Naughty List to be stuck with this game.
Our team is in total disarray with 3 centers. Embiid complained after the game the other night that he doesn't trust the process anymore. Noel complained last night after only playing 8 minutes. This is year 4 of the rebuild and were still one of the worst teams in the league. The only hope is Ben Simmons should be back after the All-star break.
Old 12-17-16, 12:35 PM   #144
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnabb View Post
Our team is in total disarray with 3 centers. Embiid complained after the game the other night that he doesn't trust the process anymore. Noel complained last night after only playing 8 minutes. This is year 4 of the rebuild and were still one of the worst teams in the league. The only hope is Ben Simmons should be back after the All-star break.
I listened to a little of the game and the 76ers couldn't hit a shot to save their life let alone a three. Sometimes going contrary to the trend works, but this is ridiculous.

They really need to give either Noel or Okafor some run to build up trade value, though everyone knows they need to give one of them up and will either ask for Embiid or offer peanuts.
Old 12-17-16, 12:57 PM   #145
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
I listened to a little of the game and the 76ers couldn't hit a shot to save their life let alone a three. Sometimes going contrary to the trend works, but this is ridiculous.

They really need to give either Noel or Okafor some run to build up trade value, though everyone knows they need to give one of them up and will either ask for Embiid or offer peanuts.
4 years of tanking and not one young shooter who the Sixers can say is part of the future nucleus.

The local beat writers say Noel has very little trade value as he is just a skinny rim protector to most teams.

I think Okafor has some value as he can score 20 a game, but can't play a lick of defense.

At this point the Sixers should build around Embiid (who is the real deal) and Simmons who looked great in summer league (take it with a grain of salt.)

They can't do anything til the trade deadline so this logjam at Center is actually hurting everyone's value.
Old 12-17-16, 01:35 PM   #146
DVD Talk Hero

What's your take on McConnell? I saw him at that Summer League game and he was really impressive when he was out there. I totally forgot about him after that. I caught him on that game last night and he was again the best player on the court. What's the deal with him, is he like that all the time or just when I watch?
Old 12-17-16, 02:14 PM   #147
DVD Talk Legend

I thought skinny rim protectors who can run are valuable? Wait, I've never actually seen him play but I assume Noel can run (when healthy)? It's the restricted free agency coming up that has teams hesitant I think.

If you're a scoring center who can't shoot from outside and can't play defense (i.e.:Greg Monroe, younger Al Jeff) however, I thought that was out of style?
Old 12-17-16, 04:02 PM   #148
DVD Talk Legend

I think both Okafor and Noel have a lot of trade value. It's just not as much as the 76ers would like, they think these guys are worth the moon. But I think with Simmons and a trade of at least one of those guys for a shooter and they should be pretty good. But I also think they are kinda happy to still suck but not as bad. As Simmons won't have a full year and Embiid is still on a minutes restriction, one more high draft pick in a supposedly loaded draft will be fine with them.

I don't think their process is so bad, it's just that other teams have been able to rebuild without going through something so awful.

Old 12-17-16, 05:20 PM   #149
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decker View Post
What's your take on McConnell? I saw him at that Summer League game and he was really impressive when he was out there. I totally forgot about him after that. I caught him on that game last night and he was again the best player on the court. What's the deal with him, is he like that all the time or just when I watch?
McConnell is a good backup PG (high energy) as long as he is limited to 10-12 minutes a game. The problem is the Sixers have no back court, so he is playing starter minutes and that is when he gets exposed defensively.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LurkerDan View Post
I think both Okafor and Noel have a lot of trade value. It's just not as much as the 76ers would like, they think these guys are worth the moon. But I think with Simmons and a trade of at least one of those guys for a shooter and they should be pretty good. But I also think they are kinda happy to still suck but not as bad. As Simmons won't have a full year and Embiid is still on a minutes restriction, one more high draft pick in a supposedly loaded draft will be fine with them.

I don't think their process is so bad, it's just that other teams have been able to rebuild without going through something so awful.
There is definitely hope for my Sixers once we get this Frontcourt sorted out through trades, as I am very high on an Embiid/Simmons 1-2 punch to build around. The problem is only the diehards are left watching this team because they have been so bad for 4 years now. I'm as diehard as they come and it has gotten to the point where I only watch the games that Embiid plays (he is not allowed to play back to back) these days because they are pretty much unwatchable without him. In the end, if the Sixers eventually end up winning then fans will come back (just like any sports city), it's just a matter of when? This place was sold out every night during the Iverson era.

If they decide to build around Embiid/Simmons/Saric, here is what they have as trade bait and draft picks:

-Okafor

-Noel

-Our 1st round pick (which will be top 5 this year)

-Lakers 1st round pick (top 3 protected this year and unprotected after that)

-Loads of cap room for free agency as we have the lowest payroll in the league. The problem is nobody good is going to come here until we atleast make the playoffs and show there is a nucleus that has a big upside.
Old 12-17-16, 09:19 PM   #150
DVD Talk Legend

26 pts, 11 reb, 22 assists for Westbrook tonight. Damn.