Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

View Poll Results: Who will win the NBA Finals?
Cavaliers 6 30.00%
Warriors 8 40.00%
Spurs 1 5.00%
Clippers 0 0%
Celtics 1 5.00%
Raptors 1 5.00%
Thunder 0 0%
Pacers 1 5.00%
Blazers 0 0%
Jazz 0 0%
Grizzlies 0 0%
Timberwolves 0 0%
Hawks 0 0%
Rockets 0 0%
Other 2 10.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-27-16, 07:41 PM   #51
DVD Talk Godfather

Re: 2016-17 NBA Regular Season Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decker View Post
Well since Little Caesers' founder & owner Mike Illitch owns the Red Wings (and the Detroit Tigers as well), I'm guessing he had first dibs on naming rights.
Wow, had no idea.

And of course you can GFY. -chess
Old 10-28-16, 02:11 AM   #52
DVD Talk Gold Edition

How well they get even ONE expansion team?? Some teams can't even compete for a title and are stuck in middle ground hell. And with Super Teams a legit thing in the NBA, I just don't see how expanding to TWO more teams is going to be possible.
Old 10-28-16, 06:01 AM   #53
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by mh4268 View Post
Embiid could be great if he is healthy. That is a huge IF though. He was just about the unanimous #1 choice draft ahead of Wiggins and Parker if his foot wasn't broken. Hopefully he has stopped growing, I think he is up to 7-2 or 3, that's 2 inches since being drafted. His growing can't help his foot/bone issues. I think they will trade Noel for scraps soon.
As a Sixers fan, we have been waiting for anything for the past 3 years of tanking. Embiid is a HUGE if, as you hold your breath he isn't another Greg Oden with those foot problems. But so far this guy is the real deal, as he has such great mobility for a 7'2" Center, and can also shoot.

I think they will trade Noel at the deadline as he is a Restricted Free Agent (not sure what they can get in return for him as I'm not a big fan of his game). If Embiid stays healthy, I would also trade Okafor as I just don't see how 2 Center's can exist on the floor, as I don't think one can play Power Forward out there.

I would build around Embiid and Simmons and try to get a PG for Okafor. We still have the Lakers 1st round pick (top 3 protected this year), along with our lottery pick this year (I don't see us winning more then 20 games) to get some shooters on the perimeter.
Old 10-28-16, 11:13 PM   #54
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnabb View Post
As a Sixers fan, we have been waiting for anything for the past 3 years of tanking. Embiid is a HUGE if, as you hold your breath he isn't another Greg Oden with those foot problems. But so far this guy is the real deal, as he has such great mobility for a 7'2" Center, and can also shoot.

I think they will trade Noel at the deadline as he is a Restricted Free Agent (not sure what they can get in return for him as I'm not a big fan of his game). If Embiid stays healthy, I would also trade Okafor as I just don't see how 2 Center's can exist on the floor, as I don't think one can play Power Forward out there.

I would build around Embiid and Simmons and try to get a PG for Okafor. We still have the Lakers 1st round pick (top 3 protected this year), along with our lottery pick this year (I don't see us winning more then 20 games) to get some shooters on the perimeter.
I'm pretty sure Noel is gone too, but going to recieve pennies on the dollar in return. I think they will try to make embiid/okafor work. I would love to see on the floor for about 5 minutes a Simmons, Saric, Noel, Embiid, Okafor lineup.

I'm trying to not get too excited about Embiid, I'm sure we are going to get heartbroken with him.
Old 10-28-16, 11:24 PM   #55
DVD Talk Legend

They may never win a game but Anthony Davis is putting up numbers.
Old 10-28-16, 11:57 PM   #56
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
They may never win a game but Anthony Davis is putting up numbers.
Wonder who will break first with carrying the biggest load on their shoulders, Davis or Westbrook.
Old 10-29-16, 05:45 AM   #57
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
I think they will try to make embiid/okafor work.
The good thing about this season is that they can be a 20 win team and fans will be fine with that because they can experiment with all of these pieces, compared to the last 3 years of going through the motions of tanking.

I think by midseason they will play Embiid/Okafor together and see how they do for 10-15 game stretch. It will be interesting because only one will draw the double team so the other will get great looks on the post. I would love to find some old mid 80's games and see how Sampson/Olajuwan played together as I sort of remember Sampson playing 10 feet out and Hakeem playing the low post?

Quote:

I'm trying to not get too excited about Embiid, I'm sure we are going to get heartbroken with him.
I'm at the point where I just try not to think about his foot injuries, and just enjoy it when he is on the court. He is so gifted that it is scary how great he can be. But were Philly....so getting our hearts broken is almost a given!
Old 11-02-16, 12:06 AM   #58
DVD Talk Legend

Yikes. Cousins fouls out on an offensive foul driving for a layup (which he made) at the end of the game against Whiteside. Game goes into overtime and Sacramento gets killed. Seems like the norm but Boogie got all six fouls in the fourth.
Old 11-02-16, 11:30 AM   #59
DVD Talk Limited Edition

they seem to be watching him more closely than other players
Old 11-02-16, 12:35 PM   #60
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrX View Post
I'm looking forward to Rondo, Wade, and Butler ignore everything Hoiberg says, just like last years team, and it to implode when they fight over shots.
I've been a Bulls fan through the good and bad of the last few decades. I thought the Rondo/Wade signings were a mistake, but through three games this is some fantastic, unselfish basketball. I didn't realize how disjointed the offense was the last couple years until seeing the ball move so far this year. This could be a small sample size thing right now and team will end up below.500 but I've really enjoyed watching the team play so far.
Old 11-02-16, 01:25 PM   #61
DVD Talk Legend

They were discussing this on tv yesterday, and both Wade and Butler were hitting greater than 50% on threes. I know Wade's been hot since the playoffs last year, but that would seem to be unsustainable. In the meantime it gives them the floor spacing they need (plus MCW is out).
Old 11-03-16, 03:01 PM   #62
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacob_b View Post
Wonder who will break first with carrying the biggest load on their shoulders, Davis or Westbrook.
SO far so good for Westbrook, they're the only undefeated team in the West and Davis is still winless. And Oladipo is playing like crap. Of course the big reunion game is tonight between Durant and Westbrook and the Thunder is on a back to back having eked one out against the Clips, so I don't think that win streak is lasting.
Old 11-03-16, 04:47 PM   #63
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacob_b View Post
shouldn't Harden also be on that list?

Those 3 seem like they're carrying the biggest loads. I predicted a Westbrook MVP after Durant left, so I'm going to go with Davis for your question. Feel bad for the guy.

"we get paid for butt time" - mosquitobite

"It felt much more comfortable when I was trying them on. No sharp edge poking my skin." - Buford T. Pusser
Old 11-03-16, 06:31 PM   #64
DVD Talk Legend

I feel like Harden's burden is at least partially on him. You could argue Westbrook's style forced Durant out but I don't necessarily buy into that. But yeah I feel the worst for Davis, it doesn't even seem like he Lebron'd himself into that lineup, it's all on the front office. The starters were so bad yesterday that basically the entire bench got some run. If he doesn't force his way out, I'm not sure his team will ever be good enough to really compete unless they start really tanking or something.

Paul George is also pulling a lot of wait but it looks like Turner is ready to break out.

And Derozan is playing like a man possessed, Raptors fans have to be happy with that right after he signed that contract.

Last edited by fujishig; 11-03-16 at 06:37 PM.
Old 11-03-16, 08:03 PM   #65
MrX
DVD Talk Legend

Russ trolling Durant showing up to the arena wearing an "official photographer" vest

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

My Countdown Counting down to: Summer Vacation
Old 11-04-16, 06:28 AM   #66
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrX View Post
Russ trolling Durant showing up to the arena wearing an "official photographer" vest
Durant got him back...39 points
Old 11-04-16, 10:39 AM   #67
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
I feel like Harden's burden is at least partially on him. You could argue Westbrook's style forced Durant out but I don't necessarily buy into that. But yeah I feel the worst for Davis, it doesn't even seem like he Lebron'd himself into that lineup, it's all on the front office. The starters were so bad yesterday that basically the entire bench got some run. If he doesn't force his way out, I'm not sure his team will ever be good enough to really compete unless they start really tanking or something.

Paul George is also pulling a lot of wait but it looks like Turner is ready to break out.

And Derozan is playing like a man possessed, Raptors fans have to be happy with that right after he signed that contract.
Oh, sure, Harden wants that load. But if we're talking about which players carry the biggest load, he has to be on the list.

"we get paid for butt time" - mosquitobite

"It felt much more comfortable when I was trying them on. No sharp edge poking my skin." - Buford T. Pusser
Old 11-04-16, 11:31 AM   #68
DVD Talk Legend

Ah, I gotcha. In terms of breaking, though, this may just be me but I feel like Harden would be perfectly content putting up fantastic numbers and yet having his team be middle of the pack. I feel like Westbrook and Davis aren't built that way.
Old 11-04-16, 11:33 PM   #69
DVD Talk Hero

Gotta say that this Lakers-Warriors game is a lot closer and more entertaining than I had expected. Lakers up by 11 going into the Fourth.
Old 11-05-16, 12:00 AM   #70
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decker View Post
Gotta say that this Lakers-Warriors game is a lot closer and more entertaining than I had expected. Lakers up by 11 going into the Fourth.
Except that it hasn't really been that close, Lakers have kept the distance most of the game (surprisingly!). These Lakers might be fun to watch this year.
Old 11-05-16, 12:04 AM   #71
DVD Talk Hero

20 point blow out of the Warriors. Wow, impressed.
Old 11-05-16, 12:26 AM   #72
DVD Talk Legend

Steph was 0 for 10 for 3's?

Must have thought it was the finals.
Old 11-05-16, 06:36 AM   #73
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Nice that I can finally watch Lakers games again...I just wish Kobe would have retired earlier.
Old 11-05-16, 11:06 AM   #74
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymole View Post
Nice that I can finally watch Lakers games again...I just wish Kobe would have retired earlier.
Wouldn't have mattered that much, I feel like Walton is making the difference.
Old 11-06-16, 10:59 PM   #75
DVD Talk Godfather

This young Laker team is really fun to watch. Reminds me of the old Van Exel and Eddie Jones years. Even Nick Young is playing well.

And of course you can GFY. -chess