Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

View Poll Results: Who will win the NBA Finals?
Cavaliers 6 30.00%
Warriors 8 40.00%
Spurs 1 5.00%
Clippers 0 0%
Celtics 1 5.00%
Raptors 1 5.00%
Thunder 0 0%
Pacers 1 5.00%
Blazers 0 0%
Jazz 0 0%
Grizzlies 0 0%
Timberwolves 0 0%
Hawks 0 0%
Rockets 0 0%
Other 2 10.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-12-17, 09:44 AM   #626
DVD Talk Godfather

Re: 2016-17 NBA Regular Season Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
What in the world are the Lakers doing?
As much as I hate seeing them reduce their draft pick chances, after those first couple of wins i'm glad to see them continue to just play well. First time they've won 5 straight since like 2012, and it was nice to see D'Angelo with the game winner the other night and now Metta get a potential farewell.

And of course you can GFY. -chess
Old 04-12-17, 10:33 AM   #627
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post
As much as I hate seeing them reduce their draft pick chances, after those first couple of wins i'm glad to see them continue to just play well. First time they've won 5 straight since like 2012, and it was nice to see D'Angelo with the game winner the other night and now Metta get a potential farewell.
I'm pretty sure the franchise would rather they have a chance to succeed over the next few years than have a few meaningless wins at the end of the year.
Old 04-12-17, 11:01 AM   #628
DVD Talk Godfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Questyen View Post
I'm pretty sure the franchise would rather they have a chance to succeed over the next few years than have a few meaningless wins at the end of the year.
Obviously.

And of course you can GFY. -chess
Old 04-12-17, 11:25 AM   #629
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnabb View Post
This is very reminiscent of the 1980's and how the Celtics, Lakers and Sixers would constantly make trades and end up getting lottery picks a few years down the road despite still being the elite teams.

-How did the Celtics get the #2 overall pick in 1986 despite winning the title that year? The irony is they drafted Len Bias.

-The Sixers traded Kobe Bryant's dad to the Clippers in 1979 for their 1986 #1 pick, and it ended up being the #1 overall pick despite the fact that the Sixers won 54 games that season.

-How did the Lakers get the #1 overall pick in 1982 after they won the Title that year? They drafted James Worthy.
The Pistons go to the Eastern Conference finals, then get the number two overall pick because they traded Otis Thorpe to the Memphis Grizzlies. Of course they picked Darko Milicic, but won the title that year and Darko became the youngest player to "play" in the Finals. On a side note, Memphis defied odds to get the number two pick, but if they had just jumped one spot higher they would have been able to keep it and select... Lebron James. I remember Jerry West being crestfallen when the picks were revealed.

The Magic pick Shaq with the number one pick, improve by 20 games, then barely miss the playoffs. Against all odds they get the number one pick again, and trade down for Penny and three future first rounders, which should have set them up for decades (but didn't). The league changes the draft lottery odds as a result.

The Lakers were not the top team in the league but still had Kareem. Three years earlier the Jazz had signed Gail Goodrich away from them, and because of league rules even though they signed him outright they had to give the Lakers compensation, two first round picks and a second. In 1979 that allowed them to draft Magic.

And not the same by any means, but as a Clips fan I have to get this in. The Clips in the 90s had a young and exciting team. Assuming Elton Brand was going to stay with them, Baron Davis signed with them. Elton bolted, and no longer wanting to deal with his contract they sent Davis over to the Cavs, who amnestied him. The Cavs sent over Mo Williams, which seems like an even swap, but the Clips in their infinite wisdom threw in an unprotected lottery picks projected to be like 8 or 9. Turns out they actually won the lottery for once, and gave the Cavs the most famous person to still believe the Earth is flat, and probably reason number 1 that Lebron agreed to come back.

Also the great San Antonio tank job of 96-97, which landed them Tim Duncan. Pop always ahead of his time, mastering the tank job as GM and hen starting the resting players movement as a coach.

Last edited by fujishig; 04-12-17 at 12:17 PM.
Old 04-12-17, 11:35 AM   #630
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
This is very reminiscent of the 1980's and how the Celtics, Lakers and Sixers would constantly make trades and end up getting lottery picks a few years down the road despite still being the elite teams.

-How did the Celtics get the #2 overall pick in 1986 despite winning the title that year? The irony is they drafted Len Bias.
The Celtics traded Gerald Henderson to the Sonics for a first-rounder, which turned out to be the #2 overall. Henderson was a solid player and had been a starting guard. I don't know if he was still the starter and they were ready for Ainge to take over, or if he was already a reserve by then.

The Bias story was a horrible and tragic wasted life, but a lot of the players in that 1986 went down in flames to a lesser degree. A little more luck, and the Celtics could've had Brad Daugherty, who wasn't a Hall of Famer but an All-Star.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LurkerDan View Post
Celtics with the #1 pick in 1980, after winning 60 games that season (which they traded for the #3 pick and Robert Parish).
#1 = Joe Barry Carroll
#3 = Kevin McHale
Challenges: Action 2017 | Academy Award 2017 | TV on DVD* 2017 | Holiday 2016 | Comedy 2016 | Horror 2016 | Criterion 2016 | Animation 2016 | Sci-Fi 2016 | Historical 2016 | Make-Your-Own 2016 | Drive-In 2016 | Leap Day 2016

Last edited by davidh777; 04-12-17 at 04:24 PM.
Old 04-12-17, 04:18 PM   #631
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
If they lose their 2017 first rounder to the 76ers, they also lose their 2019 first rounder to Orlando (otherwise it converts to a pair of second rounders). Yikes. They should have been tanking as hard as they could, bring back Mozgod and Deng and sign Kevin Hart to a seven day deal while Metta World Peace jacks up shots.
Old 04-12-17, 04:50 PM   #632
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
If they lose their 2017 first rounder to the 76ers, they also lose their 2019 first rounder to Orlando (otherwise it converts to a pair of second rounders). Yikes. They should have been tanking as hard as they could, bring back Mozgod and Deng and sign Kevin Hart to a seven day deal while Metta World Peace jacks up shots.
So if they do hold it this year, then they lose next year's first-rounder unprotected to Philly and the second-rounders to Orlando. Gotta admire the Lakers for tanking so well that they've protected the pick for this long.
Challenges: Action 2017 | Academy Award 2017 | TV on DVD* 2017 | Holiday 2016 | Comedy 2016 | Horror 2016 | Criterion 2016 | Animation 2016 | Sci-Fi 2016 | Historical 2016 | Make-Your-Own 2016 | Drive-In 2016 | Leap Day 2016
Old 04-12-17, 05:56 PM   #633
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidh777 View Post
So if they do hold it this year, then they lose next year's first-rounder unprotected to Philly and the second-rounders to Orlando. Gotta admire the Lakers for tanking so well that they've protected the pick for this long.
Tank Commander BScott was no joke.
Old 04-13-17, 05:30 AM   #634
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
If they lose their 2017 first rounder to the 76ers, they also lose their 2019 first rounder to Orlando (otherwise it converts to a pair of second rounders). .
If the Lakers finish in the top 3 of the lottery this year, then next year their 1st round pick goes to the Sixers and it's unprotected.

Right now the Lakers are #3 and the Sixers are #4 so this lottery should be interesting for both teams.
Old 04-13-17, 09:05 AM   #635
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
If the Lakers finish in the top 3 of the lottery this year, then next year their 1st round pick goes to the Sixers and it's unprotected.

Right now the Lakers are #3 and the Sixers are #4 so this lottery should be interesting for both teams.
Right, so the scenario is:
Lakers get a top three pick. They keep the pick, give up their 2018 1st round pick, but don't have to give up their 2019 pick to Orlando because they can't give up their first rounder two years in a row (thanks To the Stepien rule) so that pick becomes two second rounders down the line.

Lakers get pick four or below. They give it up to the 76ers this year. They keep next year's pick but have to give up their 2019 pick to Orlando. Note that only one team has to leapfrog them for this to happen.

So how do the Nets give up two (likely) top three picks to the Celtics in two consecutive years, and another unprotected pick next year? By being idiots. Last year's pick was unprotected, this year's pick was a swap of first rounders. But it'll all be worth it once Paul Pierce's jersey hangs in the rafters as the greatest Net of all time. So there's a rule in place to prevent a team from completely obliterating its future for the present by trading all their draft picks away (which Stepien did in Cleveland) and the Nets found a way to screw themselves anyway. Amazing.

Last edited by fujishig; 04-13-17 at 09:13 AM.
Old 04-13-17, 09:52 AM   #636
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
So how do the Nets give up two (likely) top three picks to the Celtics in two consecutive years, and another unprotected pick next year? By being idiots. Last year's pick was unprotected, this year's pick was a swap of first rounders. But it'll all be worth it once Paul Pierce's jersey hangs in the rafters as the greatest Net of all time. So there's a rule in place to prevent a team from completely obliterating its future for the present by trading all their draft picks away (which Stepien did in Cleveland) and the Nets found a way to screw themselves anyway. Amazing.
Billy King, ladies and gentleman, Billy King, destroying an NBA team near you soon.

I am so grateful that he was in charge of the Nets at the precise time that they looked halfway decent and got a new owner that was really wanting to be title competitive right away.

"we get paid for butt time" - mosquitobite

"It felt much more comfortable when I was trying them on. No sharp edge poking my skin." - Buford T. Pusser
Old 04-13-17, 09:55 AM   #637
DVD Talk Legend

Plus the pick swap happens the year Boston inexplicably wins the number one seed in the East behind an unlikely star.

On the bright side, the Nets scouts have been able to focus on emerging middle school talent for the past few years, so they should have a leg up when they finally get a first rounder in 2019.
Old 04-13-17, 10:00 AM   #638
DVD Talk Legend

oh, yeah, almost forgot. Number 1 seed, baby! Fuck yeah!

Not only do they get a top pick, but I have to think that the #1 seed, with all the good young players they have, with Stevens being so highly regarded, will make them a top FA destination.

"It felt much more comfortable when I was trying them on. No sharp edge poking my skin." - Buford T. Pusser
Old 04-13-17, 11:10 AM   #639
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Billy King, ladies and gentleman, Billy King, destroying an NBA team near you soon.

My Sixers were his last victim. As bad as we are now, atleast they are tanking for a purpose and have flexibility with the cap. He ruined our team (signing Sam Dahlembert to a 6 year 70 million contract back in 2005) which was outrageous money then. And he got nothing for Iverson when they traded him to Denver either. We were that dreaded 35-40 win team every year drafting #15 with no cap room.
Old 04-13-17, 11:16 AM   #640
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah Boston needs to attract someone big, but Stevens is by all accounts amazing, plus they'll have another top pick next year since I see no way Brooklyn can turn things around. And they have like a dozen second round picks this year. Heck, if they feel Thomas and Smart are their future at PG, I'm sure they can trade down and let someone else pick up Fultz or Ball and pick up Jackson or Tatum and another future pick. I'm not sure if the Lakers really do want Ball but if they had number three I'm sure they'd listen, and if they lose the pick the 76ers are also in desperate need of a PG.

Kinda surprised there's no offseason thread yet. I mean I know the season was still going but not for like half the teams who were already resigned to their fate a few weeks ago. Especially since this is the Lakers talk thread.

Also the stinking redirect ads... ahhhhh!

Last edited by fujishig; 04-13-17 at 11:23 AM.
Old 04-13-17, 11:41 AM   #641
DVD Talk Legend

My biggest concern for the Celtics is what to do with Thomas. While he is the heart of that team, I don't think a max contract for a 5'9" guy who is a big liability on D is the way to go. But I worry that trading him will hurt the chemistry.

Old 04-13-17, 11:46 AM   #642
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
My biggest concern for the Celtics is what to do with Thomas. While he is the heart of that team, I don't think a max contract for a 5'9" guy who is a big liability on D is the way to go. But I worry that trading him will hurt the chemistry.
I have real concerns about that contract too, but for what he means to the team right now I think you have to give it to him. On the other hand, say you keep him and draft Fultz or Ball who ends up outplaying him. Then his contract makes him untradeable.

Quote:
Especially since this is the Lakers talk thread.
I love that this has become the Celtics thread!
Old 04-13-17, 12:11 PM   #643
DVD Talk Legend

As awesome as he was this season, realistically who is going to offer Thomas a max deal? Not that the Celtics should lowball him but I'm not sure who they're bidding against, even with all the new money available. They're already paying Horford a ton of money, and isn't Crowder a free agent too? And Bradley's gonna want to get paid. Luckily for them he's under contract for another year so if they do draft Fultz or Ball they can at least see how it works out before signing him or trading him. He'll be 29 then. He should be able to keep up an elite level of play until 33 (after that it's a lot dicier), but he's also a small, fast guard and if he loses a step due to injury or something, yikes. I haven't actually watched him play, but how is he as a distributor/jump shooter? That could prolong his career as well.

That's the problem when you don't have a superstar (and I know Thomas takes issue with that, but the fact is you can't plug him into any team in the league and have them succeed like you can with the Lebrons, Durants, Westbrooks and Hardens). You max a few good to great guys out and you end up being the Hawks. Luckily the stupidity of Brooklyn gave them cheap reloads that they really shouldn't otherwise have, so if one of them breaks out and can play with Thomas and Horford, all's well.
Old 04-13-17, 12:28 PM   #644
DVD Talk Hero

That's the thing--Thomas was great this season, but he needs to be in the right situation. That's also an obstacle if you want to trade him. Not that many teams are in position to take him where he would succeed, and they have to consider his contract situation. So you might get questionable value back.

He doesn't feel like part of the long-term solution, but he's crucial now. Not sure what the right move is.
Old 04-13-17, 01:44 PM   #645
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidh777 View Post
That's the thing--Thomas was great this season, but he needs to be in the right situation. That's also an obstacle if you want to trade him. Not that many teams are in position to take him where he would succeed, and they have to consider his contract situation. So you might get questionable value back.

He doesn't feel like part of the long-term solution, but he's crucial now. Not sure what the right move is.
Well, he's still dirt cheap for another year, and I think he would succeed on any team that lacks a go to scorer at the point. He may not bring the return that most guys who finish top 10 in MVP voting would, but he should still bring back something good.

Old 04-13-17, 04:22 PM   #646
DVD Talk Special Edition

I guarantee Thomas gets a Max deal whether with the Celtics or another team. The Celtics offense scores less when he's not playing then the Thunder do when Westbrook sits which is a crazy stat.
Old 04-13-17, 05:31 PM   #647
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
I guarantee Thomas gets a Max deal whether with the Celtics or another team. The Celtics offense scores less when he's not playing then the Thunder do when Westbrook sits which is a crazy stat.
I agree (assuming that he has another great year next year, as he's under contract for one more). I just am not sure that the Celtics should be that team.