Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

View Poll Results: Who will win the NBA Finals?
Cavaliers 6 30.00%
Warriors 8 40.00%
Spurs 1 5.00%
Clippers 0 0%
Celtics 1 5.00%
Raptors 1 5.00%
Thunder 0 0%
Pacers 1 5.00%
Blazers 0 0%
Jazz 0 0%
Grizzlies 0 0%
Timberwolves 0 0%
Hawks 0 0%
Rockets 0 0%
Other 2 10.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-14-17, 01:03 PM   #301
DVD Talk Legend

Re: 2016-17 NBA Regular Season Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post
It's a ruse so Lebron can't trade him for Melo
I was thinking the Knicks, as dumb as they are, would take an injured Kevin Love and this would give Cleveland an excuse to make the move they've always denied they want to make.

Listening to the radio and Steven A Smith just made the comment that the Ibaka move was huge, moving Toronto all the way... to the number two spot in the East. Ha. The Magic really screwed that one up.

Also let me say that sports radio is often bad but never as bad as today... Smith on one channel and Whitlock on the other.
Old 02-14-17, 01:08 PM   #302
DVD Talk Hero

Magic Johnson was on CBS this Morning yesterday talking about his role with the Lakers. I know it's been published in various outlets already, but he said this Lakers rebuilding project will probably take 3-5 years.

That's a pretty long time. Then again, after the Bulls lost Jordan, Pippen etc, they took around 7 years before they became a playoff team again. Rebuilding a once championship team really sucks.
Old 02-14-17, 01:12 PM   #303
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
Magic Johnson was on CBS this Morning yesterday talking about his role with the Lakers. I know it's been published in various outlets already, but he said this Lakers rebuilding project will probably take 3-5 years.

That's a pretty long time. Then again, after the Bulls lost Jordan, Pippen etc, they took around 7 years before they became a playoff team again. Rebuilding a once championship team really sucks.
The big thing they're talking about here is that he mentioned he'd bring in Kobe to consult if he wanted. Also it's kind of a weird interview for him to take so soon after being hired, basically saying he's gunning for Jimmy's job (maybe Mitch's too) and what he'd do if he got it.

Also Magic is doing the exact opposite of Jim Buss and not overpromising but giving himself some leeway. It all depends on landing that star. Without Rose the Bulls wouldn't have gotten to contendership status, and before that they had gone all in on the youth movement and it failed spectacularly. They have a decent collection of pieces but still no standout, and they have to hope one or two of them are just late bloomers.

It helps that three to five years from now, Golden State and Cleveland should be past their primes.

It would also really help the Lakers if Brooklyn remembered they weren't keeping their pick and actually played to win

Last edited by fujishig; 02-14-17 at 02:25 PM.
Old 02-14-17, 01:13 PM   #304
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
I was thinking the Knicks, as dumb as they are, would take an injured Kevin Love and this would give Cleveland an excuse to make the move they've always denied they want to make.
The Knicks are plenty dumb but this would actually make sense for them. If they traded Melo they'd give into tanking the season. So trading for a guy they can shut down for the rest of the year would actually make sense in that regard.

So, don't expect it to happen.
Old 02-14-17, 01:57 PM   #305
DVD Talk Godfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJariya View Post

Quote:
The big thing they're talking about here is that he mentioned he'd bring in Kobe to consult if he wanted. Also it's kind of a weird interview for him to take so soon after being hired, basically saying he's gunning for Jimmy's job (maybe Mitch's too) and what he'd do if he got it.
Kind of confirms my worries about Magic earlier in the thread, but maybe he'll be better then I actually think. Not sure how Kobe would actually relate to any of the players these days though. Maybe he can be bad cop to Magic's good cop.

And of course you can GFY. -chess
Old 02-14-17, 02:09 PM   #306
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat3001 View Post
The Knicks are plenty dumb but this would actually make sense for them. If they traded Melo they'd give into tanking the season. So trading for a guy they can shut down for the rest of the year would actually make sense in that regard.

So, don't expect it to happen.
while I agree it helps them tank, the last thing they need is an oft-injured former all star who may never get back to what he once was. They at least better do some medical due diligence here if they're even considering it, I mean they already have Rose this season and Amare wasn't that long ago. And they're paying decent money for Noah as well.

Which is why it very well may happen.

Last edited by fujishig; 02-14-17 at 02:25 PM.
Old 02-14-17, 05:28 PM   #307
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
while I agree it helps them tank, the last thing they need is an oft-injured former all star who may never get back to what he once was. They at least better do some medical due diligence here if they're even considering it, I mean they already have Rose this season and Amare wasn't that long ago. And they're paying decent money for Noah as well.

Which is why it very well may happen.
While I don't disagree with your overall point, I do want to point out that Love is not a "former" all star, he's a current one.

"we get paid for butt time" - mosquitobite

"It felt much more comfortable when I was trying them on. No sharp edge poking my skin." - Buford T. Pusser
Old 02-14-17, 06:06 PM   #308
DVD Talk Legend

Ah, true, my mistake.
Old 02-14-17, 06:29 PM   #309
DVD Talk Hero

The NBA's D-League is getting a makeover. It will now be the NBA Gatorade League, a deal that will include a rebranding that will affect the league logo, basketballs, jerseys, on-court signage and digital properties.

So yeah, that should really boost attendance.

GAME CENTER ID : DECKER 01

I haven't seen Evil Dead 2.....yet.
Old 02-14-17, 06:34 PM   #310
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decker View Post
The NBA's D-League is getting a makeover. It will now be the NBA Gatorade League, a deal that will include a rebranding that will affect the league logo, basketballs, jerseys, on-court signage and digital properties.

So yeah, that should really boost attendance.
No, but maybe now it'll bring in some money.
Challenges: Action 2017 | Academy Award 2017 | TV on DVD* 2017 | Holiday 2016 | Comedy 2016 | Horror 2016 | Criterion 2016 | Animation 2016 | Sci-Fi 2016 | Historical 2016 | Make-Your-Own 2016 | Drive-In 2016 | Leap Day 2016
Old 02-15-17, 02:07 PM   #311
DVD Talk Legend

So all but three NBA teams were profitable last year, with the Knicks and Lakers being the most profitable. It'll be interesting to see if the Lakers fall now that Kobe is gone, they sold 1.2 million worth of merchandise at his last game. This is before the new big tv contracts are in effect.

Only three teams lost money, and all three are spending a ton of money on payroll and are well over the salary cap. The Cavs, the Clippers, and OKC. The Cavs and Clippers, at least, were worth spending that money considering how much those players increased the overall value of the franchise. For OKC, I'd say the same but not sure how KD leaving affected their value, certainly keeping Westbrook and having him average a triple double so far this year has mitigated that somewhat.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kurtbad...le-teams-2017/
Old 02-15-17, 07:23 PM   #312
DVD Talk Special Edition

It's somewhat ironic that the Clippers are losing money now that they are winning. One of the things that their previous racist owner did was reporting profits throughout his tenure even though the team was a perennial loser. Which puts the owners in the basic conundrum: Do they go for the win even though they may be unprofitable or do the lose and have a low salary cap but end up being profitable due to the revenue sharing system?
Old 02-15-17, 09:26 PM   #313
DVD Talk Legend

I have no idea how forbes got their numbers but there was another Forbes article late last year that explains that the Clips expenses might include part of the 2billion purchase price:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/mikeozan.../#242fb0d7b963
Old 02-16-17, 09:49 AM   #314
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post
Orlando trades Serge Ibaka to Toronto for Terrance Ross and a first round pick.

https://t.co/gmlQG1TyIa
Ibaka can't get to the Raps fast enough. They've been on a downward trend for the last month or so. I know DeRozan was injured, but for the last few seasons, they just haven't been able to close out a game in the fourth quarter. Surprised they were able to come back from 17 down last night in the fourth last night, but it's keeping the lead that seems to be their issue.
Old 02-17-17, 05:49 AM   #315
DVD Talk Limited Edition

So it looks like the #1 overall pick (Ben Simmons) won't play a game for the Sixers this season, as his broken foot has not healed right.

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/...ly_healed.html

It is war between Sixers fans & Management right now because they have essentially lost all credibility with the injuries to Embiid and Simmons. Just last week they came out and said that Simmons was fully healed and getting ready to come back.

Which has fueled the conspiracy theories that the Sixers lied on purpose about Embiid and Simmons health to sell tickets for the rest of the season.
Old 02-17-17, 09:50 AM   #316
DVD Talk Legend

Well apparently they lied about having an imminent deal for Okafor, holding him out just to drum up interest from other teams. They're either constantly lying about these guys or they just draft the most brittle players ever.
Old 02-17-17, 09:53 AM   #317
DVD Talk Legend

I wonder how much of this is Simmons and his team holding out so that he can go for that Rookie of the Year bonus next season.
Old 02-17-17, 11:51 AM   #318
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Well apparently they lied about having an imminent deal for Okafor, holding him out just to drum up interest from other teams. They're either constantly lying about these guys or they just draft the most brittle players ever.
That totally backfired on them as they sat Okafor out last week saying they didnt want him getting injured as they were talking deals with multiple teams, and then he dressed with the team this week. Obviously now teams know that there isn't as big a market for him, so either they can lowball the Sixers, or we keep him another year and continue to have a log jam at Center.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat3001 View Post
I wonder how much of this is Simmons and his team holding out so that he can go for that Rookie of the Year bonus next season.
That is the other rumor going around. One of the beat writers reported way back in October that Simmons would not play a game this year as he talked to his agent off the record. That beat writer got alot of crap at the time for speculation, but he may end up being right.
Old 02-17-17, 03:52 PM   #319
DVD Talk Legend

Don't you have to pay Noel next year though?

If Embiid gets shut down for the season soon does he still win ROY? The only other rookie averaging double digits is their teammate Saric, who has been on a tear lately but otherwise has been unremarkable. I guess Brogdon is almost there. It's not like the rookie field is overwhelming outside of Embiid.

Last edited by fujishig; 02-17-17 at 03:58 PM.
Old 02-17-17, 08:30 PM   #320
DVD Talk Special Edition

It's pretty clear that Kyrie Irving didn't go to classes at Duke. He believes the earth is flat, planets don't necessarily exist and there's a conspiracy by "they" to make us believe otherwise.
http://www.totalprosports.com/2017/0...-explains-why/
Old 02-18-17, 12:49 AM   #321
DVD Talk Legend

Did you guys catch Ingram's comment? I know he was joking but he was asked by CJ McCollum if he and Deangelo made a pact before the rising stars game to just pass to each other. His response?

Quote:
Well, you know Deangelo doesn't pass the ball too much.
Old 02-18-17, 06:17 AM   #322
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Don't you have to pay Noel next year though?
If Embiid gets shut down for the season soon does he still win ROY? The only other rookie averaging double digits is their teammate Saric, who has been on a tear lately but otherwise has been unremarkable. I guess Brogdon is almost there. It's not like the rookie field is overwhelming outside of Embiid.
-Yes, Noel will be a Restricted Free Agent next year. He has started to flourish off the bench when Embiid is starting. The dilemma for the Sixers is some team is going to overpay him and offer him a big time contract. Do you match or let him walk?

-I don't think Embiid should get ROY if he doesn't play the rest of the season. You should have to play atleast 60 games? Now Embiid said last night at the Rising Stars Game that he will be back next week, but who knows what to believe anymore....
Old 02-18-17, 09:40 AM   #323
DVD Talk Special Edition

Embiid is almost a lock for ROY for the sole fact that no other rookie is really playing that good.
Old 02-18-17, 12:49 PM   #324
DVD Talk Godfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Hood View Post
It's pretty clear that Kyrie Irving didn't go to classes at Duke. He believes the earth is flat, planets don't necessarily exist and there's a conspiracy by "they" to make us believe otherwise.
http://www.totalprosports.com/2017/0...-explains-why/

What an idiot.

And of course you can GFY. -chess
Old 02-18-17, 04:31 PM   #325
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Pretty sure Kyrie is just trolling.