Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Old 11-03-16, 01:13 PM   #51
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: 2016-2017 MLB Off Season Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunkaroo View Post
Sorry man! I imagine you feel like I did when Ventura got renewed.
Or Ausmus
"Do u know how hard is it to won one oscar award? now ur simply referring him to motherfucker, but he deserve huge respect, even he win nobel prize, there is no surprise in it. first of all learn respect" - Ganesh Ujwal
XBox Live = Stiffy Goat11
Old 11-03-16, 01:22 PM   #52
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob V View Post
Or Ausmus
Indeed.
Old 11-03-16, 02:22 PM   #53
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.A. View Post
I'm already tired of hearing people say he will be traded.
Have you seen the market for starting pitching this year? I think the top free agent starter is Rich Hill who will be 37 when the season starts. Maybe Garcia starts the year with St. Louis, but he definitely has value should they try to move him. As some experts say, there's really no such thing as a bad 1-year contract.

"i 'm new here. most of people in here are good. but there is a miserable person. Look into your mirror. Superboy!" --New Member, robert11
Old 11-03-16, 02:33 PM   #54
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacob_b View Post
Why would one want to take directions from a guy that was drinking and on coke anyways? But as Decker said, I do think the MLB drug tests and why take coke before an upcoming start. I get the drinking, but I think the coke does matter.
First, I don't know how anyone will answer "why take coke", but from what I know, coke doesn't last long in your system, so while there is some risk for sure, it's not a long term one. But yes, clearly it is a dumb thing to do for someone drug tested regularly whose millions of dollars job depends on being clean.

As for why "would one want to take directions from a guy that was drinking and on coke anyways", really? I'm drunk and on coke, and you're driving me home. Am I suddenly incapable of telling you where my house is, where to turn, to watch out for the sharp curve ahead? And do you have any idea what coke does, and how it impacts you? Saying that someone should not be giving directions because they are on coke is like saying someone should not be reading because they took some decongestant, ie utterly irrelevant.

"we get paid for butt time" - mosquitobite

"It felt much more comfortable when I was trying them on. No sharp edge poking my skin." - Buford T. Pusser
Old 11-03-16, 02:40 PM   #55
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardsfan111 View Post
Have you seen the market for starting pitching this year? I think the top free agent starter is Rich Hill who will be 37 when the season starts.
This is why the White Sox need to seriously consider blowing it up and moving both Sale and Quintana. Move Sale in the offseason and Quintana at the deadline to maximize return. Of course the downside is I don't trust their criminally loyal owner and idiot president to make the right deals.
Old 11-03-16, 03:39 PM   #56
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, Strasburg was supposed to be the big prize, and he did well to get the extension before going down.

That also makes it more likely that the Cubs pick up Jason Hammel's reasonable option, even if only to trade him.
Challenges: Action 2017 | Academy Award 2017 | TV on DVD* 2017 | Holiday 2016 | Comedy 2016 | Horror 2016 | Criterion 2016 | Animation 2016 | Sci-Fi 2016 | Historical 2016 | Make-Your-Own 2016 | Drive-In 2016 | Leap Day 2016
Old 11-03-16, 06:06 PM   #57
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidh777 View Post
Yeah, Strasburg was supposed to be the big prize, and he did well to get the extension before going down.

That also makes it more likely that the Cubs pick up Jason Hammel's reasonable option, even if only to trade him.
Yeah, I think they have to pick up the option. There is no one out there better that can be had for that price .. let him and Montgomery battle it out in spring training for the 5th spot
Old 11-03-16, 09:31 PM   #58
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearFan View Post
Yeah, I think they have to pick up the option. There is no one out there better that can be had for that price .. let him and Montgomery battle it out in spring training for the 5th spot
Yeah, Hammel was annoying but how many fifth starters win 15 games?

Dexter Fowler says he'll decline his part of the mutual option and become a FA again. I like him, but considering the outfield logjam, I'd be OK letting him walk and starting Almora. There's no natural leadoff hitter, but I don't think that's needed as long as you have guys getting on base and scoring runs.
Challenges: Action 2017 | Academy Award 2017 | TV on DVD* 2017 | Holiday 2016 | Comedy 2016 | Horror 2016 | Criterion 2016 | Animation 2016 | Sci-Fi 2016 | Historical 2016 | Make-Your-Own 2016 | Drive-In 2016 | Leap Day 2016
Old 11-03-16, 09:44 PM   #59
DVD Talk Legend

If the White Sox decide to not rebuild they could certainly use Fowler.
Old 11-04-16, 08:07 AM   #60
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Yeah, Hammel was annoying but how many fifth starters win 15 games?

Dexter Fowler says he'll decline his part of the mutual option and become a FA again. I like him, but considering the outfield logjam, I'd be OK letting him walk and starting Almora. There's no natural leadoff hitter, but I don't think that's needed as long as you have guys getting on base and scoring runs.
I like him too, he turned out to be a lot better than I thought he would be when they traded for him. But, there are too many OFs and I think Fowler is looking for a payday and he should get one now that there is not a draft pick tied to him.

I'd think about batting Zobrist leadoff
Old 11-04-16, 09:03 AM   #61
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardsfan111 View Post
Have you seen the market for starting pitching this year? I think the top free agent starter is Rich Hill who will be 37 when the season starts. Maybe Garcia starts the year with St. Louis, but he definitely has value should they try to move him. As some experts say, there's really no such thing as a bad 1-year contract.
No, I haven't analyzed the market yet. I'm not a dork.

Yes, there is. His name is Jaime Garcia.
Old 11-04-16, 09:54 AM   #62
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
If the White Sox decide to not rebuild they could certainly use Fowler.
Quote:
I like him too, he turned out to be a lot better than I thought he would be when they traded for him. But, there are too many OFs and I think Fowler is looking for a payday and he should get one now that there is not a draft pick tied to him.

I'd think about batting Zobrist leadoff
It's kind of funny that at the time, the Cubs were considered to be "settling" for Fowler instead of trading for Denard Span, but then Span got hit by the injuries. Fowler for a rental year plus a free-agent year in exchange for Luis Valbuena (who hit a lot of homers) and Dan Straily (who has finally become a usable MLB starter)--yeah, that was a good deal.

And Zobrist does make the most sense. However, I forgot that Baez will probably be the regular starter at second next year, and Schwarber will be back, meaning Heyward might move to center and Zobrist to right, but that weakens both those positions. And yes, there'll be some fluidity throughout the year, but I'm not wild about that lineup. Not sure what the best solution is, though. Maybe platooning Heyward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.A. View Post
Yes, there is. His name is Jaime Garcia.
Old 11-04-16, 10:04 AM   #63
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
It's kind of funny that at the time, the Cubs were considered to be "settling" for Fowler instead of trading for Denard Span, but then Span got hit by the injuries. Fowler for a rental year plus a free-agent year in exchange for Luis Valbuena (who hit a lot of homers) and Dan Straily (who has finally become a usable MLB starter)--yeah, that was a good deal.
FWIW the Sox could have went after him too and I'm not sure if they actually made an offer. They ultimately went with what was left of Austin Jackson (which wasn't much). He would certainly be an upgrade over JB fucking Shuck.
Old 11-04-16, 07:21 PM   #64
MrX
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
FWIW the Sox could have went after him too and I'm not sure if they actually made an offer. They ultimately went with what was left of Austin Jackson (which wasn't much). He would certainly be an upgrade over JB fucking Shuck.
He would have cost them a first round pick last year

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

My Countdown Counting down to: Summer Vacation
Old 11-06-16, 04:25 PM   #65
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Cubs declined the option on Hammel .. I am a bit surprised, he is nothing fantastic, but not too bad as a 5th started. Looking like Montgomery and Cahill will battle it out for the 5th spot .. maybe Zastrinsky (sp?) too .. But the option was $10m .. money probably better spent on the pen.

The FA starting pitching market looks better next year when Lackey will be off the books as well ... I do not have the impression there is much in the minors for starters that they can count on this coming season ..
Old 11-06-16, 04:33 PM   #66
DVD Talk God

Not terribly surprised on Hammel situation. That's a lot of money for a 4th or 5th starter. You can probably get replacement level guy either as a FA or from the minors for probably a fraction of that cost. Cubs are going to need all the cost savings they can get in the next few years when you start getting their main talent to arbitration.
John Henson: McDonald's has dumped Kobe Bryant as their spokesperson and have replaced him with Yao Ming. Apparently McDonald's prefers Yao because he is a bigger international star, and he doesn't rape so much.

"You are everything that's wrong with this forum".---SleepyW
Old 11-06-16, 04:36 PM   #67
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I am guessing they will be trading for a younger starter .. semi close to ML ready. Even if Fowler goes.. and I think he will, they have a ton of outfielders coming back next year.
Old 11-06-16, 05:44 PM   #68
DVD Talk Legend

I will love the Blue Jays to take a run at Fowler in FA.
Old 11-06-16, 08:24 PM   #69
DVD Talk God

Carlos Ruiz traded to M's
John Henson: McDonald's has dumped Kobe Bryant as their spokesperson and have replaced him with Yao Ming. Apparently McDonald's prefers Yao because he is a bigger international star, and he doesn't rape so much.

"You are everything that's wrong with this forum".---SleepyW
Old 11-06-16, 08:42 PM   #70
DVD Talk Legend

By picking up Jaime Garcia's option, the Cardinals FO just showed that they will likely do very little this off-season. Why should they when 3 plus million show up year in and year out?
Old 11-07-16, 09:07 AM   #71
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsa_shea View Post
By picking up Jaime Garcia's option, the Cardinals FO just showed that they will likely do very little this off-season. Why should they when 3 plus million show up year in and year out?
Same train of thought went into Matheny's extension.

Mike Matheny Is Unpopular Because Hes Not a Good Manager
Old 11-07-16, 09:26 AM   #72
DVD Talk Hero

I'm wondering how the Dodgers are going to get any better, even with seemingly unlimited funds. They'll have a hard time even staying as good as last year since they have arguably the best Closer (Jansen) the best starting pitcher (Rich Hill) and the best infielder (Justin Turner) available in the Free Agent class.
It will be hard (maybe impossible) to keep all three.
Old 11-07-16, 05:04 PM   #73
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The White Sox can rest easy. Shields did not take is opt-out, 2 more years

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/1...rather-go-free
Quote:

Shields agreed in February 2015 to a $75 million, four-year deal with the Padres that called for a $10 million salary in the first season and $21 million in each of the next three years. The agreement includes a $16 million club option for 2019 with a $2 million buyout.

As part of the trade, San Diego sent Chicago $8,770,492 this year. Because he kept the contract, the Padres must send the White Sox an additional $11 million in each of the next two years, raising the total to $30,770,492.
Old 11-07-16, 06:08 PM   #74
DVD Talk Limited Edition

10 Players got Qualifying offers this year .. will be interesting to see which (or any) will still be FAs at the end of the off season. If I had to pick 1, it would be Desmond, he had a pretty bad second half of the year

Jose Bautista, OF Blue Jays
Edwin Encarnacion, DH Blue Jays
Dexter Fowler, OF Cubs
Kenley Jansen, P Dodgers
Justin Turner, 3B Dodgers
Yoenis Cespedes, OF Mets
Neil Walker, 2B Mets
Mark Trumbo, OF Orioles
Jeremy Hellickson, P Phillies
Ian Desmond, OF Rangers
Old 11-07-16, 06:25 PM   #75
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Cubs declined the option on Hammel .. I am a bit surprised, he is nothing fantastic, but not too bad as a 5th started. Looking like Montgomery and Cahill will battle it out for the 5th spot .. maybe Zastrinsky (sp?) too .. But the option was $10m .. money probably better spent on the pen.

The FA starting pitching market looks better next year when Lackey will be off the books as well ... I do not have the impression there is much in the minors for starters that they can count on this coming season ..
The ESPN article made it sound like they gave Hammel the option of coming back to compete or looking elsewhere, rather than picking up the option and trading him. That seems like a goodwill maneuver to increase their reputation among players and agents. I'm sure Hammel wasn't happy to be off the postseason roster, but he just didn't pitch well enough throughout the year.

$10 million isn't chump change, but it's not bad for a veteran free agent. Obviously you could spend less on Montgomery, Cahill, a minor leaguer, or a reclamation project, but you don't know you'll get the same results. In addition to Lackey, Jake could walk after next year as well, so I guess they want the younger guy in order to not turn over three guys next year.

I wonder how Jake's contract talks will be affected by his up-and-down year. It sure was great to have him in the playoffs, but obviously he wasn't the pitcher he was in 2015. But then few have ever been.